Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I caught the tail-end of the DCS Autumn sale and have learnt to get an SU-27 off the ground which is neat. Currently failing basic navigation, I think I'm still playing Elite and closing off the throttle until I leaf into the ground every time.

Loving the kinect for face tracking that works and for passive marker tracking.

Are there any 2019 skyrim-like install guides for fsx available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gah

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 5, 2019

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Because I've bought into the hype for fs2020 and while my interest is high I'm keen to play with things I already own and not buy x-plane or whatever. If that or something else is updated and worth it please say, otherwise free or affordable must-have mods would be great to know about.

^^ha, fair enough thanks!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just found out that those Tobii Eye Tracking things also do head tracking. Does anyone have experience with one in flight sims, versus the typical TrackIR?

For an alternative overpriced solution, MS Kinect cameras do pretty good hat-less head tracking when set up right. It would be neat if MS chose to natively support this dead novelty toy for some reason.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just watching random VATSIM youtubes, its mesmerising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYQIUnFTgo

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cna you dedicate a drive for cached bing data as well as the install files?

my Internet is terrible let me start the preload now dammit

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the first time (and whenever it thinks it needs an update) there's a text field and Browse button to select a location for where to download the assets. When you have to reinstall, you just point it back to that location, it'll do a content check and continue without downloading. The rolling cache is also configurable.

Fantastic, thanks. Have an old ssd that can just be for this.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also just found the beta in the MS hub app. Neat.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

^^^
I signed up for the alpha with my ok-ish pc however long ago and never heard back, don't know if that helped.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Whoa, all fans at full blast - and its just doing the download, which has been paused for like an hour. I hope nano machines are rebuilding my pc to survive the rigours of extremely poor piloting.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Kinect facetracking seems to work well out of the box. The game is beautiful, but its clear the 1060 won't cut it, I'm down at lowest settings and working my way upwards. and actually seems quite forgiving on the hardware.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 3, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I also have a 1060 and it's...okay. I have most of the settings on medium and a few on high, 3440x1440, and it gets 20fps over huge cities and 30fps in more reasonable areas. That's not great by any means but it's playable, and in line with what people have come to expect from flight sims. I'd like it to be smoother and prettier, sure, but I'm still able to have fun like this. And according to Austin it's perfect. (But even on Medium it looks roughly 10x better than X-Plane. The night lighting in particular is really impressive even with lower settings).

Looking forward to the 3000 series cards coming out and seeing what those + DLSS can do for this. ML upscaling of low-res terrain imagery into high-res stuff, especially in a situation like this where the exact details don't matter, is probably the ideal situation for that technology.

Also head-tracking works great with OpenTrack and the freetrack 2.0 Enhanced protocol. The curves need to be a little different from the ones I use in DCS but after 15 minutes of tweaking it's very natural.

Agreed on everything here. The one thing I've done to increase framerates so far is lower the resolution to 2560x1440, which felt like it gave me leeway to ramp everything else up. Currently dreaming about getting a 3080 on 2 years 0% interest like Samsung or PayPal occasionally offers, and that my already stretched psu will bear it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I started playing with the xbox controller and that's worked pretty well so far (except for trim, y+dpad, which is also another headlook, isn't helping me learn)

I've plugged the hotas in (x55), and the bindings are empty and a pain to do button by button. Are there edit-able bindings files, or files I can download from anywhere ?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hace posted:

I have the smart camera on and I'm just using the default plugins

Try the latest experimental build - no idea if it will help you but it seemed to resolve my own issue (release version closing on Start, I guess due to my cam and hotas fighting for power supply)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Waterloo Bridge outside the Houses of Parliament isn't as big a land mark as Tower Bridge, but thought they'd do better than an invisible line with cars flying over it

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can anyone point me at a good link for maintenance of saitek joysticks? My x55 stick has some 'give' when centred that leaves it yawing left if you don't correct it constantly. That's fine in Elite but is really loving me in FS. (I don't think Elite has any incremental power to turns? but FS is all about that) I'm taking it apart now to re-set the spring and the stick contacts but would like to know how to do it properly...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

you ever seen a grown man naked?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Maybe it's beyond the engine and different than developing high quality fixed assets, but waterfalls are something I'd throw £5 at, if Asobo has no plans to work on. Visited Victoria and Niagra today and very disappointed.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just re: space, it seems pretty economical on data even with full photogrammetry etc on. Think I'm about 20 hours played with less than 10gb used. The default 32gb rolling cache is probably fine for most?

(feeling like every post I make blatantly breaking the beta NDA, bring on next week)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

drat, I watched a ton of their stuff lately and only noticed a weirdly placed 'and that's why I would have voted Thatcher'. The recent interview with ED they did was all 'nudge nudge can't talk about it but we've been contracted to provide sim training to real militaries' ... which I guess makes sense.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nietzsche posted:

Also, someone mentioned time compression/sim rate a few posts up - there is a hotkey bound for it, but I couldn't get it to work. Instead, look for keybinds named SIM RATE INCR and SIM RATE DECR (or similar) and set them to something. Autopilot doesn't like high sim rates, though - straight and level flight will turn into a wild rodeo. Apparently Asobo's fixed a bunch of problems with the autopilot and those fixes should appear in the retail version, so hopefully that's one of them.

Thanks so much for this, as soon as I'm trimmed and aiming at something more than 20 miles away I end up napping cos :dadjoke: (does this happen much in real life?) I'd rather use this than just start my flight over the destination.

(annoyed that I took a beautiful flight / had a nice nap over Alaska yesterday to the Grisly Bear marker to find they're not implemented in the open beta)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

what's the simplest way to display fps, ideally without having to install a big package of stuff? Is there something inside geforce experience?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks! Will try the game bar one and found it in ge force experience: Settings/In-game overlay/settings/Hud layout. Alt-z to turn overlay off and on.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Have they changed anything from 'fades to black' when you crash/hurt the lg/overstress? As per earlier discussion I get why they don't have huge explosions - the little crash riff that played probably says it all.

Actually what happens in multiplayer when you watch a cavalcade of goons head down into the hole

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I like how you have manual cache alonside the rolling cache and drag the mouse over patches of the map you want saved. They could let you save bigger areas at once though, Greater London and a fair chunk of SE England is apparently less than 1mb.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Oh hell, actually putting the trim wheel on an axis on one of the throttle wheels made a world of difference. So much better than pawing at buttons while trying to hold things steady.

Sapozhnik posted:

Is there a quick rundown on how fuel mixture settings are supposed to be set in various circumstances

I would also like to know this.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Re:fuel mixing

Sagebrush posted:

You adjust it to get the best engine power as the aircraft climbs. As the air gets thinner, you need to reduce the fuel flow to keep the air:fuel ratio optimized.

Thank you! Will refer back to this as I get comfier turning off assistances.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Popete posted:

Anyone having an issue with their throttle mapping? I have a slider but it seems to only recognize top and bottom so either full or zero throttle.

Have you actually set it to throttle axis (good) or set up to increase and down to decrease (bad). (like I did at first)

London at sunset is beautiful. I hope the multitude of airliners passing my DA62 at Heathrow got a giggle at me failing to bind the second engine and spinning around the runway like an idiot.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

New Xwing is out shortly...

Was just about parked in the hangar and thought I'd let the AI pilot do the last bit. Promptly turned me around and crashed me into the carpark.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

What's the tv show with the sequence of zooming through rolling clouds at high speeds? Quantum Leap? Put 'increase sim rate' onto another wheel and it was just like that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

cool new Metroid game posted:

Here's a map someone made showing all the customised airports, 3d cities and custom building POIs. easier than finding them on the in game world map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1KUg5jwyT_9k2A9n5IZ99UChlhfVUfO5S&ll=40.609753266167885%2C-50.609856049999934&z=3

London's definitely rougher than I'd hoped for, but the Eiffel Tower and buildings around it are :kiss:.

Have gone and bought 16gb more ram. It begins...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Random headtracking thing: your delanclip or other head ir widget makes a great sensor for wii emulation.

Weird. My data use stat. went from from 6gb to 690kb, flip over date is set at the 1st of the month. .

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 19, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gah, once again anything that can be mapped to an axis probably should be - actually using the rudders now they're on a wheel and not slamming me off the runway

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Also Western Norway has a lot of anomalies, but drat it's pretty.

I was flying around Tromsø at night (set for January) looking for Northern lights and wasn't fussed at not seeing any, because the lights in the town and along the coastal roads blew me away.

I love how when you're close to houses you can see the glare of tvs from the windows.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I more or less just fired it up, left it at the default settings, hit the "start" button, and it showed up in the FS2020 controls menu as TrackIR. Only thing I changed was inverting the Pitch axis, without that it thought that I was looking up when I was looking down and vice versa. I saw some videos that talked about adjusting the sensitivity curves but it seemed fine for me out of the box so I haven't messed with those.

There's a bit of an art to getting the curves to your liking if you find your view wrapping around 180 degrees. Here's my roll setting on opentrack, if it helps:

In this, if you roll your head 60degrees either direction, you'll only roll 30degrees on screen, which for me is about right. A horizontal line at the peak point would mean no more movement, but with the curve if you strain further it backs up a bit. That's useful for yaw in Elite for example, to not rush your head past the pop-up viewscreens.

e: Also see the tiny horizontal deadzone at the bottom. Stops it from jiggling when you're just trying to look ahead.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 20, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hav posted:

General question - keep trim on the hat buttons, or use a couple of spare axes?

Axes axes axes. Using the top thumb wheel on my x55 and the lower for rudder.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was playing with this yesterday and it was 'good enough' at projecting a second screen to my dirty old android tablet over wifi. Then I noticed it was using 10% CPU and I don't think it would be wise to cook it any further during fly

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If there's any chance it is or could be recorded...

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

In addition to "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" here's another tweak that may give perceived or actual improvements:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/frame-rate-issue-solved/208004 posted:

I have found the problem that was causing low frame rates, particularly with the larger aircraft. The problem is caused by the game under utilising the graphics card. This can be fixed in Windows settings.

Ensure you are running the latest version of Windows (2004).
Go to Windows Settings, All Settings, Gaming.
On the Xbox Game Bar page go to “Graphics Settings” (Right hand side, below “Related Settings”.
From the “Choose an app to set preference” drop down menu, select “Microsoft Store App”.
From the “Select an app” drop down menu select “Microsoft Flight simulator” and click add.
Click “Options” then select “High Performance”.
That’s it! Now Microsoft Flight simulator will start using your Graphics Card to its full capability and reduce the burden on your CPU. Net Result much better FPS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ok I need to learn to use the autopilot. I am going to seriously injure myself from the deathgrip I have on the stick maintaining steady flight at 100x compressed time, trim be damned. I can feel it in my neck.