Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Yay either I'll get a bad resolution rift for $300 or less or a new Samsung that I can see with. I did not like the fact reading gauges and timing box with the rift was difficult in iracing and I'm not worth what they were charging.

I can read the top line (temps, fuel quantity, weight jacker, etc.) of the Indycar steering wheel just fine, and that's the smallest "gauge" in the game IME. The timing box/pit options box is close enough and has large enough type that I can't even see the screen door effect on it, let alone have trouble reading it. Are you sure you weren't trying a DK2? Ironically, the only time I find myself wishing the Rift had higher res in iracing is looking at stuff in the distance, like finding references at the end of long straights. But for me the boost in situational awareness and, maybe most importantly for a racing game, actually having depth perception more than makes up for that.

Flight sims, on the other hand... I tried it in DCS and couldn't read a thing on the panels of the SU-27 or A-10. It might be fine for an arcade sim where the actual instruments don't matter (it's loving amazing in Elite:Dangerous) but for study sims it's not there yet.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Is it known if modding some economy/game structure into MSFS is possible?

FSEconomy already works so I'd imagine "single player FSEconomy" type things like Air Hauler 2 will either work out of the box or will be updated to work pretty quickly.

I'd also love an updated Simcopter. Closest thing we've gotten is Take On Helicopters which is...not great.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Re: PC Gamer finding it impossible to fly in New York with a 2080ti on low:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3L5jbfN-FM

That's from two pages ago. The guy in the video says he's on medium with a 1080.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

So how long you think until we get stuff like FSEconomy integrated? I’d love to do flights with a purpose, the landing challenges are neat and all but feel a bit slim on the content side.

Around negative 24 hours from now.

Unless by "integrated" you meant as a built-in part of the game, then I don't know if it's even on the road map.

Edit: You need the SimConnect libraries too.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 18, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ethanol posted:

so I noticed if you are having trouble turning down your res from 1440p to 1080p and the game looks like its running in 480 p as a response that if you change your desktop resolution to 1080 p as well it clears up the issue.

Why not just lower render scaling below 100?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^^^^Turn on "Taxi ribbon" under the navigation assists.

Does anyone know how to make the G1000 not force you to go back to your last waypoint when you activate an approach? I don't know if it's a bug or I'm just G1000ing wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell it "no, dammit, just take me to the transition fix/IAF," except to go into the FPL and delete all (yes, all, because if you just delete the last one it's trying to send you to, it'll try to send you to the next-to-last and so on) your waypoints.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fuel doesn't weigh a whole lot in small GA planes though so I dunno how much of an impact that would really have.

Fuel doesn't weigh a whole lot in small GA planes, but the plane doesn't either, so fuel still has a huge impact on weight and balance. Some GA planes will exceed their MTOW with a full tank unless there's no passengers and the pilot is relatively small.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Just had the tower tell me to go around because a human player in a Caravan was taking their sweet rear end time to actually take off, then on my second attempt it told a real life flight that was ready to line up to hold short for me. It's far from perfect, but it's orders of magnitude better than FSX or XP 11's ATC.

Also I guess that answers the question of whether the game will change what real life flights are doing based on what's happening in game.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Qubee posted:

I just arrived at my destination but I can't press any buttons in the cockpit, and I've tried everything. So AP is stuck on and I can't get it to quit fighting me. Uh oh.

If you have a window like ATC, nav log, or VFR map open, resize it. If it's broken out in a separate window close it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I do have a couple of gripes. The steam achievements seem a little buggy. I've never set foot in the airbus, but I have an achievement for doing a full manual startup in it somehow. At some point I also managed to taxi over a hundred miles... which is impossible. I suspect that one may be because I paused while in mid taxi? I don't know. Also I got the deadstick landing achievement although I never did any such thing. Very strange.

I've also got deadstick and the taxi one despite not fulfilling the stated requirements. When I got the one for starting the airbus, it was after landing and the text was something about carrying out an approach and landing with clearance from ATC, which actually matches the picture that goes with it. The text changed to the airbus startup thing later.

I'm guessing the text and requirements are all mixed for some of them.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

90 is too hot even with the stock cooler. You should remove and reinstall it to make sure it's seated properly.

Edit: 7nm Ryzens running hot isn't a "feature" as much as a reality of physics. Those 7nm chiplets have very little surface area with which to transfer heat to the IHS and then heatsink.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The DA62 has auxiliary tanks, and you have to use the pumps to pump fuel from those into the main tanks.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Charles posted:

Without a slip gauge, how do you know if your turn is coordinated? Not all planes have them. Seems like a hard skill to learn without "feel"?

In Garmin equipped planes it's the horizontal bar under the "pointer" for the bank angle indicator.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dramicus posted:

There's not even that much of a grind since you can start by renting a c208 and immediately doing jobs that pay well.

This. The only thing (as far as I can tell) reputation matters for is getting loans, and you don't need a loan to hop straight into a plane that can make you a ton of money.

There's also FSEconomy which does not give a single solitary gently caress how you fly* as long as you get from A to B without crashing or running out of fuel. It also has a much better UI than OnAir. That's right, I said it. OnAir is definitely "more modern" and "prettier"(though it's certainly not pretty) but holy poo poo it's a complete garbage fire of a UI that is in no way user friendlier or more intuitive than the older looking UI garbage fire that is FSE.

*The only thing FSE cares about when it comes to how you fly is whether you properly lean piston engines, but the penalty for getting it wrong is that the aircraft owner has to pay a tiny bit more for the 100hr inspection, so even that doesn't really matter. Especially if you're only renting.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I think Asobo really dropped the ball on the tutorials, and every plane at a minimum should have "cold and dark to dark and cooling" checklists as detailed as the C172, but you just aren't going to learn how to fly a 21st century jetliner from "a simple text document."

Cat Potency posted:

I'm having a great time just doing 3rd person bush flights around familiar locations and other spectacular places around the globe but apparently that's not the 'proper' way to play!

Given that detailed terrain for the entire world is the leading gimmick for MSFS, and the amount of effort put in to the planes that are traditionally flown VFR vs the half-assed "high-end" planes, I'd argue that not only is it the "proper," way to play, but it's also clearly the developer intended way to play.

The game just isn't there yet for the people who like cruising around the flight levels on autopilot and will try to tell you that's the "proper" way to play flight sims. It's absolutely there for what you've been doing.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 29, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SaltPig posted:

Is there something wrong with the Baron, aside from the autopilot missing a knob? I was testing it today and the airspeed seemed low at 13000MSL and I had to keep it the throttle near 100% to keep the manifold pressure green (couldn't get it above 18). Am I just missing some key aspect of how to fly this thing?

It has constant speed props. In (most, I'm sure there are exceptions) piston engine planes with constant speed props you're supposed to keep the throttle at 100% during cruise at altitude and use the prop control to set cruise power. For the Baron, that's 2500 RPM for "I wanna get there now" and 2300 RPM for "I'm going somewhere at the edge of the range"/ "100LL is how much?"

The only times you shouldn't have the throttle at 100% are descents or level flight below whatever altitude gets you more than 25" of MP.

The mixture control is broken, but the engine seems to function as if it's always at a near optimal mixture so it's not something to worry about too much.

Edit: Also remember that cruise speeds in the specs are TAS, while the airspeed tape is showing you IAS. IAS is always going to be lower than TAS, and gets lower as you climb. And as someone pointed out earlier, since it's not turbocharged, there's an altitude where the thinning air reducing drag and increasing max speed and the thinning air reducing the engines' power and reducing max speed crosses over. For the Baron, that's 6 to 8000 feet. Cruise speed will fall off as you go higher or lower than that. 185kn TAS is about what you can expect at 13,000ft and 2500 RPM.

Theris fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 30, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

plester1 posted:

Is the mixture weirdness universal, or just certain planes? I keep the automatic mixture assist on, but I'd eventually like to learn how to operate it.

I've only found it broken the way it is on the Baron on the Baron. I've heard other planes it doesn't work exactly as it should, but it's much more in line with reality. (More in line in the sense that it does anything at all, which on the Baron it does not.)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Reading repeatedly itt that there are problems with the turbochargers. Are they completely ineffective right now? I climbed to like 10kft in a plane and wanted to see how much extra I could get with the turbocharger but there was literally 0 effect in rpm or IAS.

I'm not sure what you mean. I think the only turbocharged planes in the game are the diesel Diamonds and I've seen no complaints about them. I just tried the DA62 and it didn't lose performance as altitude increased the same way normally aspirated planes do.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Since apparently this thing isn't anywhere online, what are some good general guidelines for single-engine constant-speed props when taking off and landing? I realized after a couple flights with the thing that I was basically flying it wrong (not using the RPM lever at all, just sorta winging it for the landing).

Take off and initial climb should always be max RPM. Landing should also be max so you can be ready for a go around, but exactly when you push it back up to max from your cruise/descent setting is up to you. I usually do it when I set flaps since it's easier to remember.

(I'm sure it's a checklist item, but very few planes in the game have pre-landing checklists)

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 31, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Charles posted:

ILS frequencies outside of N America aren't usually on Skyvector seems like?

In a strange reversal from the way things usually are, the US is pretty much the only country where the government makes charts freely available so you can get them from things like Skyvector. Everywhere else they must be purchased from the likes of Navblue/Navigraph, which makes them a lot harder to find on the internet.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Dumb question on MSFS 2020, a few of the planes have 'oil press', 'oil temp' and 'fuel flow' on the screens in the cockpit. What are the units on the fuel flow? I'm getting 52 something at the moment and I don't know if that's good or not.

Fuel flow is usually gallons per hour on piston planes and pounds per hour on turboprops and jets.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

hannibal posted:

Questions
? Does FSE let you restart flights from where you stopped if you crash?
? What does FSE do when you increase sim rate? OnAir just makes you wait until your flight would have actually finished
? Does FSE have all the planes from MSFS2020 in it?
? What's the response time of FSE devs to fix bugs?

It doesn't let you resume flights, you have to start over.
You can use up to 16x sim rate, and there's no in warp feature, you can do another flight immediately. I sometimes do two or three flights in FSE while I'm waiting for my OnAir plane to come out of warp.
It does have all the planes, (except the 747 and 787. 737/A320 class planes are the biggest in FSE and even those have special missions and you can't buy them) though some are mapped to planes with confusingly different names, mostly the cub variants. They're working on that.
The MSFS client went through something like three or four versions on release day, and has been rock solid ever since. The only outstanding issue is that it can't change cargo weight, but that's a bug in the MSFS SimConnect API and affects OnAir too.

Theris fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 1, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Akion posted:

No fix for the missing Altitude knob on the G58, then? :(

Left Ctrl + PgUp/PgDown

Edit: They flashed by too fast to really see what they were, but it looked like the update included a few files with 747 in the name. Maybe there were a few plane fixes?

Edit 2: Found the actual release notes, guess not.

quote:

STABILITY ISSUES
The title will no longer crash when different input devices/peripherals are disconnected
The title will no longer crash when the TBM 930 package is deleted
INSTALLATION ISSUES
The install process will no longer be blocked after a partial decompression of a package
The install process will no longer be blocked when a local user account includes non-ASCII characters
The install process will no longer be blocked after a failed connection to servers
The install process will no longer display an empty onboarding screen under certain conditions
The title will download a critical missing/deleted package to access the main menu even if the save data preference is set to offline (when an internet connection is available)
CONTENT MANAGER
The title will no longer automatically download packages that have been deleted through the content manager
The content manager will no longer get stuck in an infinite loading state when checked offline
The Creator name of the packages should now be properly updated
SIMCONNECT
Significant FPS drop when using Simconnect should no longer affect the experience
OPTIMIZATION
The performance of the title has been improved when the Display name plate option is set to active
MARKETPLACE
The correct currency is now properly updated in the marketplace

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you okay sharing an approach you've succeeded with? Also, do you come in above, below, or roughly level with it? I figured I'd ask now since I might be fighting this tonight; having a known-good one should help me figure out how much of it is my direct fault.

Grab the approach plate for whatever approach you're doing from Skyvector. The vertical profile is at the bottom and will show you the altitude you should intercept the glideslope from. 99% of the time you should be level at an altitude "below" the glideslope when you intercept. The rest you might need to already be descending/intercepting from above due to terrain or airspace weirdness.

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 7, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I fought back control and set BEZER's altitude to 3,000 feet in the planner. Not that the approach chart wants 4,000 feet for BEZER but ATC always hounds me for 3,000 feet.

For right now, while you're just practicing procedures, ignore the ATC. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bedurndurn posted:

What's a fuel efficient descent from cruise look like?

Say I'm at FL200 in a Cesna 208 and want to get down to match the start of my approach waypoint.

Do I want to use a fixed VS? How much throttle should I be giving it? Do I just cut it enough so that I don't overspeed?

Use FLC, plug in the glide speed and cut throttle to idle?

Something else I didn't think of?

Also, what if anything should I be doing with the propeller lever in the 208? It's got a max and a min and then a bit that says feather, but hell if I know what that's good for.

FLC and cut the throttle (not to idle, you'd descend too quickly) is the "right" way. But, with the current autopilot issues, it's unreliable. Depends on the plane, but it only seems to work for me around 50% of the time.

For now I use VS. Set your desired descent rate and then adjust the throttle as needed to not overspeed.

You don't really have to do anything with the propeller lever, prop speed doesn't affect performance/efficiency nearly as much for turboprops as it does for pistons; it's mostly for noise management. Pull it down to min during cruise if you want to quiet things down a bit, but otherwise you don't need to bother. You should be able to use it to adjust how much drag the prop makes with the throttles cut (more RPMs=more drag) but that's not properly modeled yet.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Oceanbound posted:

Post-patch King Air AP is completely nonfunctional. You can no longer program any flight plan into it. The gently caress.

G1000 planes have weird issues with programming flight plans, too. Selecting and activating approaches randomly doesn't work. Also the Baron's avionics occasionally turn off on their own. Does Asobo have a QA department?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

sellouts posted:

Also all of this approach talk is simply this: a way to get you within visual range of the airport. You have to fly the plane and land.

I'm not sure how many of the complaints about an instrument approach being offset or angled from the runway are from bugs vs approaches that are offset from the runway in real life. It's a thing, especially for closely spaced parallel runways.

If you can see the runway well enough to see that the approach doesn't have you centerline, you can see it enough to take the yoke yourself, hit the AP disconnect, and land the plane.

Theris fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That looked really normal and then a little birdie in my head tried to tell me that maybe Midway's runways go diagonally. Ewww.

Midway's runways do go diagonally. That's an approach for O'Hare.