Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hey guys, took me a while to find (forums search sucks rear end) but I wanted to get some opinions on what equipment to get a friend. She's a IRL pilot that's just getting her wings in Cessnas and would like a yoke set-up (not a stick) for flight sims; I don't see many options on Amazon when it comes to this stuff so I'm sure that isn't the place for proper sim equipment (also Amazon reviews aren't that great for what I see). The OP is years old and I'm not sure if that stuff is still applicable. Logitech seems to be the only horse in the race when it comes to cheaper priced stuff but one review stating "not good enough for actual pilots" makes me think it'll be a waste. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was looking to get the whole package, yoke/throttle/pedals and I know I'm looking to spend quite a bit for the lot but that seems like I'm poo poo outta luck unless I grab several different products and combine them. I know nothing about flight sims but I'm astonished how much some of poo poo I see costs, I guess you have to pay to play for the high end. I'm not looking to spend that much, several hundred isn't bad but there doesn't seem much for all three parts for that much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

From what I can figure, the Honeycomb Alpha Control Yoke is the only lower priced yoke that has the proper 180 turn, but I can't seem to find that anywhere in stock for the US outside of a douche on eBay with it at double the price.

Also, in regards to the TrackIR, would you say that's better than a VR headset? I have a spare that I was going to give for flight sims as well but I know resolution won't be as crisp and I'm sure the instrument panels will be hard to read though I'm not sure if it's as problematic as I'm thinking.

Lastly, when it comes to mixing and matching parts, how easy is that to do? Like, say I got her the Honeycomb, is it just a plug and play affair if I use a Saitek Quadrant and CH pedals?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Awesome, thanks for all of the help guys. I ordered a Honeycomb Alpha Control on eBay (bullshit shipping, but not much more over MSRP) and will probably just go the Saitek route for the Throttle Quadrant and Pedals, then top the whole thing off with a TrackIR.

I'm not sure which flight sim she has, but I'm pretty sure it's Xplane 11; how intuitive is it to set up all of the controls? She lives a couple hours away so getting me to set it up would be a mission. I'm hoping I don't have to make that trip if it's a bunch of lovely hoops to jump through.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm glad to hear it, I look forward to getting all of this stuff in and getting it to her so she can practice on it. She's actually going to fly in to pick it up one of these days.

I'm debating on getting flight set-up as well since that new MS Flight Simulator looks incredibly beautiful. I mean, god drat. But I know nothing about flying and have never played a flight sim so lol.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I recall seeing something in the VR thread about FS2020 not going to support VR headsets, is that the official word? That poo poo would be breathtaking in VR.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonny Nox posted:

MS is pretty up in the air right now about how they distribute games.

New stuff is going on Steam. Older stuff like Forza Horizon and Gears are still Store exclusive. My guess is it's going on Steam.

Gears 5 hit Steam, I think they're going full on releases on Steam from now on.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My guess is Microsoft store. The way it’s marketed as a big Microsoft thing with cross platform, it screams like something that they’ll use as a carrot for gamepass and their ecosystem.

The Master Chief Collection just released on Steam and within the game you log into the Xbox Live ecosystem, so we'll probably see the same thing with FS2020.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For someone who wants to get into simming soon (once FS2020 hits I see myself dumping some serious money into equipment), are there any titles good for just flying around and operating old-rear end WWI aircraft casually in VR? Or should I just play War Thunder and fucks with poo poo that way, though that's less of a sim and more an arcade type thing right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was hoping FS2020 was going to be my first Sim to get into before actually trying to get a license to fly IRL... but no Steam release? Uhhh... gently caress that. I stopped using the MS Store since Gears 4 and I'm glad as poo poo I'm never going back to that horseshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sellouts posted:

Literally every one with a day one patch? Anthem, for one?

Nothing fixed Anthem of being terrible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For anyone that does flight simming in VR and is interested in the HP Reverb G2; the difference in the bump in resolution is night and day from a Rift S or Valve Index:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wlEbD5vxk

Just thought there's someone in the thread that would care for this, shame there's no VR in MS2020 that poo poo would be astonishing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

One retailer for it says it ships in September, but HP hasn't said anything definitive about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bird with big dick posted:

I do these flight sim role plays where I do real-time 12 hour flights to London and my wife brings me mediocre meals and then I bang her in the closet of my computer room

e: sorry that was supposed to be a pm

This is beautiful and I'm dying over here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How customizable will FS2020 be? I feel like in this day and age things would get locked down and require approval etc before people can use poo poo. Seems like a total MS thing to do.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well that's why it's a bug, for some reason that poo poo ain't followin' the rules I'd love to see a modded slider that can grow the trees to gigantic levels all over the globe.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe Steam has a clause where if your game is on sale on other platforms it has to be on sale as well on Steam, so I wouldn't worry about DLC not going on sale.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

The reason force feedback is dead is because a patent troll in San Jose (Immersion Corporation) has been squatting on a couple of key patents for the last fifteen years. They produce no products and their biggest source of income to date has been suing Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft for putting vibration motors in their controllers. You may recall that the PS3 controller had no vibration functionality, which Sony said was because it would interfere with the motion sensing; the lawsuit was the real reason. All three companies now pay Immersion license fees.

I once looked up the actual patents they hold and it's the dumbest poo poo. The main one is something about "virtual actors" performing a stage play over a "video link" and having motor systems involved to make things happen at the viewer's end, but it's written so vaguely that I guess the courts agreed that "virtual actors" can be a video game and the "video link" can be any video display unit and welp. The patent system is completely hosed.

Fortunately the patents are expiring right about now, so maybe we'll have a renaissance in force-feedback controllers, just like how the explosion of desktop 3D printers these days is mostly the result of a couple of key Stratasys patents expiring in 2010.

I would certainly like a stick or yoke with proper force feedback. The correct way to trim a plane is to hold the attitude you want and then turn the wheel until the control forces go away. How are you supposed to do that without FF :spergin:

What an informative post and holy poo poo that's miserable. gently caress that company.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

While the speed of the download is absolutely abysmal whoever thought it was a good idea to have music looping in the background for the whole loving download is a moron. Why yes, I don't want to enjoy anything else while this giant game downloads.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Romes128 posted:

Right click on the sound icon > open volume mixer > mute flight sim. Remember to unmute it when you actually play the game. I ended up watching some movies while it downloaded.

God bless.

I still have 30GBs left, the game's been running for 2 hours. :psyduck:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arsonide posted:

In one of their interviews they said they are using PlayFab for this. I've used PlayFab in another project, for a very similar purpose albeit on a much smaller scale. So basically the way it works, is you make an HTTP request to PlayFab to download a thing, then they respond with a URL that you then use to do an HTTP download of said content.

So for each of these packages, you are basically downloading them as if you were using a web browser, then decompressing them locally. Obviously much slower than if you just got the data straight from Steam, but I imagine they did it this way to make the game more extensible. They are future-proofing it.

I'm confused as to why this is better than just using Steam to deliver all of the same content.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

drat the Steam reviews are brutal, but they have a point with "Took so long to download I can't refund it" poo poo.

edit: What are the most optimal settings right now?

sigher fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 19, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Google Butt posted:

that's what they get for not getting it for literally a dollar lmao owned

:jerkbag:

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, why the hell are people buying it on steam?

Because people prefer it and the Microsoft Store misery.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Okay, for the full "experience," is there anyway to start a flight on the tarmac and not have all of the switches and poo poo pushed for me? I start a flight and there's a huge checklist of things to do, but it's all already done so like... what's the point? I'd love if the tutorial would teach me more than just how to fly, but what everything does. The missus is going to learn me all of this, but it'd be nice if the game explained it all to you. So is there anyway to start a flight with a complete, cold start?

Also I see no god drat way this game is running in VR without being completely nauseating. I flew around LA on my 9980HK and RTX 2080 and at night was getting around 20fps; I do have most setting maxed out to be fair but jesus christ.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks guys, I thought just selecting the airport was going to be enough, I'll zoom in even more than that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Okay, so my lady's copy of the game won't finish downloading, there's 1.3GBs left to download and it literally just won't so the game can't be played. She's left the computer on since release and it hasn't moved. We tried verifying the game files and reinstalling, but nothing fixes it. I also can't find anyone having the same issue online.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What are the other planes in the sky? Actual airliners in real life or just scripted planes flying all over the place? Is multiplayer "always on" because I haven't run into any other players so it seems and I've been cruising around LA a fair chunk.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So did MSFS2020 gently caress the flight sim peripheral market right up the rear end? It looks like everything is out of stock and prices for used gear are gouged like crazy. I don't remember paying $260 for my T16000M HOTAS... I just want some pedals and the Honeycomb Yoke.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have 64GB of RAM, what should I set my paging file to? It's currently at 0.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks! I'm hoping this will help with a little bit of performance, I heard that having a larger paging file does that for MSFS2020.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For people who have flown in VR, how does it work?

Like, are you just given the viewpoint in game and you still have to use a mouse to interact with the instruments on the plane? I assume that's how it works for X-Plane which is horseshit, but has Microsoft said anything about using VR controllers to interact with gauges and what have you in physical space?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A MIRACLE posted:

hmm that forum link says "G-Sync reportedly may have issues with MSFS, lowering framerates when the window is in focus." which mirrors my experience.

aaand yeah. night and day. especially in the cockpit. went from 7fps to like, 50. I hope they patch the g-sync thing

I need to test that but god drat that's really annoying.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

Why are all xbox controllers sold out on the internet? It can't be just this game...can it?

If you're having trouble finding one and don't mine a Minecraft Creeper edition I have a spare one sitting around that I don't use if you'd like to buy it for $30?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JayzTwoCents has a pretty good video on what to do to get some FPS that helped my rear end a ton. I just did everything he did in the video and it's a crap ton smoother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVhyOZaUcU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No but holy poo poo that's amazing.

Does MSFS2020 support all of this gear right out of the box without any loving around?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant goes up for pre-order tomorrow, seeing how every sim peripheral is out of stock all over I'm sure trying to get this thing is going to be a shitshow:

https://flyhoneycomb.com/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant?utm_campaign=emailmarketing_66823716973&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Romes128 posted:

I'm jealous of the yoke and throttle quadrant people. Despite casually playing flight sims for years, I didn't take controls into account when buying a desk. It has two draws beneath the surface so I can't clamp anything to the desk, it's too thick.

Glad I picked up the T16000m before it became scarce though. Way better than having to play with kbm or controller.

The Honeycomb Yoke actually has a huge sticky pad that you can use to mount it on a desk if the clamp doesn't work for you. My girlfriend does this and it holds really drat tight.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:siren: ORDERS ARE LIVE FOR THE HONEYCOMB THROTTLE QUADRANT :siren:

https://flyhoneycomb.com/collections/honeycomb-flight-sim-hardware/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

simble posted:

As of this post, you can order the honeycomb throttle again for "week 2 production."

Why can't the loving Yoke be up for a Week 2 Production god drat it! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fayez Butts posted:

Im gonna continue refining this but this is what I came up with in half an hour

This is a loving work of art, hell yeah.