Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What's the opinion on the saitek x52? I've got a line on one for like $75, but ive read some reviews on amazon talking about dead space and software incompatability that have me a bit leary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hmm... so about the same consistency of reviews on amazon. Some hail it as great, others as passable, and some decry it as the worst stick.
*sigh*
It seems to me saitek needs to up their QC.

This one is cheaper (new haggled price $90), but I'm buying off CL, i.e. no refund if I get a dud.
Should I pay more and buy from amazon in case it dies on me?
I should, shouldnt I? But lord knows part of me really hates passing on a *Deal*.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

My flight stick is kind of giving me a lot of resistance and squeaks and groans, due to age and dust.

How do I maintenance that? Warm wet rag and clean the area under the washer looking thing at the base of the stick, followed by a bit of oil?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hope this is the right place for this:

Sometimes while flying helo in Arma 3, my controls will suddenly no longer be centered, and I can't pinpoint why or how to fix it; it just comes and goes. Like, sometimes, usually at first, I'll get in and take off, and everything is good, and then after a few looks at my map, or auto-hovers, I'll notice I'm having to fight the controls to keep her level. Sometimes she's pitching slightly, other times she wants to roll over on me, and less commonly, my rudder will have me wanting to spin.

Is that a hardware issue, or something wrong with the game?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

SocketSeven posted:

Is there a trim button? That would put the cyclic stick and possibly rudder pedals in a non neutral position in game, when your joystick is centered.

Trimming a helicopter is different from a plane. You get the helicopter stable in whatever flight mode you want (hovering, moving forward, whatever) then hit the trim so that the cyclic stick centers there, and you don't constantly have to be holding it in position.

If you aren't accidentally hitting a trim button, I'd guess it's a bug.

Thanks for the response.

I dont think my Saitek Cyborg evo has a trim button, and some googling seems to confirm that. I guess I'll go ask in the Arma thread if anyone else is having the same problem.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I could finally fulfill my Topgun cosplay!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hello flight sim thread., need your expertise:

If I were to be teaching a combat flight school, what, in y'alls opinion, are the top 5 most important things I should cover, and as a bonus, how best would I go about teaching your suggestions?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Wow, quick replies. Ok.

Game is arma 3

Helos

Not goons

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

An excellent post, and just what I needed.

I just finished putting together an emergency landing mission to practice that. Now I'll be focusing on the other things you guys have responded with. Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Say, when I was a kid, I used to play this game called Search and Rescue 4. And you got to fly Rescue helos to complete land and sea Rescues where you had to deploy litters and hoists and rescue divers etc to Rescue peeps.

Aannnyyways, got a bit of a hankering for that again.

Is there anything modern and or new like that out these days?