Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Microsoft needs to put out a big release telling people in big flashing letters that the game still includes every airport and you just pay extra for more accurate versions. Like you do for flight sims.

Maybe if they sold them separately for 25$ a pop the flight sim community might be more comfortable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Modern Warfare is 200GB.

I have close to a TB of Xplane Ortho

150GB for MSFS seems good in comparison

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
In addition to Air Hauler there's also A Pilot's Life if you want to get real-world (ish) schedules from actual airlines to fly for an XP bar.

Fsairlines.net is probably the best solution for virtual airlines. Has a lot of features, is simple to use and costs 1$ a month to make your own

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Just use SimToolKitPro, it does everything and more for free

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Some Antonovs and other Russian/old Soviet planes would be amazing. I love flying the freeware An-24, An-148 and Il-76 you can get for XP11.

Always wanted to get the Tu-154 as well but never got around to it and I'm definitely not buying more stuff for X-plane when MSFS is out in a month :v:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I'll just assume anything that isn't sold directly through the ingame store is 1) unfinished garbage 2) not compatible with the current game version 3) infested with malware for "drm" 4) all of the above

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Here's a photographer showing off some stuff the usual youtubers might not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecueP1sVPU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The trees are probably oversized to achieve dense coverage with less individual trees for performance reasons or something.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Someone will replace all tree models with 2d sprites in 8k resolution, charge 180$ for it and make bank

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The autogen seems pretty powerful:

That's an old Boeing converted into a hotel or something, and the algorithm made a building in the shape of it.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The only reason I flew airliners in Xplane is because everything looks like garbage even with Ortho when you're closer than 10000ft

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
You can choose both the location and the size

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Arsonide posted:

I have to say, OnAir looks more detailed (and more up to date) than FSEconomy. What is the catch, other than money?

I used the trial a couple months ago, it worked well apart from the interface being a bit laggy. It automatically recognized every plane I had, even weird freeware stuff so you can buy/rent whatever plane you have in your sim instead of hoping some grognard put it in a database.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

beer_war posted:

So that Orbx London pack is apparently a bit poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyZw39ZiX8

Holy poo poo they actually ripped out the good looking default stuff and replaced it with 20 year old garbage

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I actually prefer turning Azure voice off and just using the offline windows TTS because then it uses more than just 2 voices so you get some variation in the ATC you talk to.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I'm having those hitching issues too with an older CPU, but it's completely inconsistent. It can be buttery smooth over a dense city with tons and tons of buildings, but then grind to a halt over a desert. Might be server related or something

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

ethanol posted:

is there any confirmation wind layers dont load? flying through this hurricane right now iwith no autopilot and i dont even have to keep my hand on the yoke. there's also no rain or lightning. It's like they got the clouds to load but nothing else

Live weather only works sometimes

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone know how to undo this?

Resize one of the windows you have open (like ATC)

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Last I tried On Air there was a reward multiplier in the settings you can jack up to adjust the grind.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Macintosh HD posted:

Am I missing something or are all the AI voices identical?. Everyone sounds like ATC.

Set the ATC voices to Windows offline instead of Azure and it uses all the voices you have installed for more variety.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

fuf posted:

They sound way worse though imo

Yeah but I still prefer it over the same guy talking to himself all the time

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
After all the warnings about how the A320 is completely broken I just did a full IFR flight and it was ... not terrible? Sure, many buttons are inop and I wouldn't want to do last-minute flightplan corrections with that FMC but the autopilot did what it was supposed to. ILS approach worked, autothrottle disengaged on landing and everything.

ATC instruction made sense too!

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Zochness posted:

Is there any known fix besides restarting the game to get your mouse to be able interact with cockpit buttons again? I have a cursor, it’ll interact with the toolbars and right click to move the camera but can’t click any cockpit buttons.

If you have the ATC window or the VFR map or something open, resize it. Should fix that bug

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Really? Oh poo poo. I thought it was missing a dial for it. I swear I thought I checked everywhere.

That only adjusts it for the backup display. The controls for the big displays are on the center console between the seats. The baro dial is inop :v:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Live weather is broken in general. Clouds and conditions show up most of the time, but getting the correct winds is quite rare

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The ATC can do okay if you pre-set the approach you want in the world map. I enjoy the little interactions

But yeah it will gently caress up and in that case you gotta just ignore it, switch frequency and do your own thing.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The weather is my big issue, I don't want to have to shell out for Active Sky again.

But I will if that's the only way to get some winds more than once in five flights

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
There's already tutorials for how to rip Google maps stuff and put it in MSFS. People are mostly doing landmarks right now

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

Got a link or some search term? Google only shows me results for Sketchup -> FS X.

I haven't used them myself, but there's some linked here: https://old.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/comments/iftk7i/the_engineer_library_a_list_of_tutorials/

And here's a list of scenery fixes and landmarks https://old.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ii0jmx/complete_community_freeware_airport_and_scenery/

Gasoline fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 28, 2020

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Hank Morgan posted:

Is there anyway to get more variety in the ATC and pilot voices?

Switch the voice setting from Azure to Windows offline

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wanted to do one of the landing challenges with the A320neo but getting the plane down is impossible for me. Is the autopilot taking away my throttle authority by default or something?

Airbus autopilots works a bit different from others. Basically to land it, leave the throttle leaver in the autothrottle notch, turn on approach mode, set speed to your approach speed (~140kts) and zero the throttle when the aircraft says "retard". Otherwise alpha protection kicks in and the plane automatically goes to TO/GA

Not a pilot, only figured this out through trying to land it and googling

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

There is also flightsim.to which has a much nicer layout

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Capturing the ILS generally works fine, but there's definitely quite a few ILS that aren't aligned with a runway and just descend you into the grass

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I got 5gb into the download and I guess their servers died :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Known issues also sound like some of the planes are more unflyable than before