Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Ehhhhh, I dunno about that conspiracy theory. If that's where their heads were at, why not hold back the PC release and make it an xbox launch exclusive? Launching on PC first, even if technically a later version ends up more polished, doesn't exactly scream "we really want you to buy an xbox" to me.

Maybe that was the plan, but somebody eventually put it together that there was no loving way in hell that it was going to run well on an xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

CapnBry posted:

Oh hey that's exactly what I want, and almost exactly the price tag I was afraid it would come with! I may also try the "GlassCockpit To Sim" android app or similar.

I really recommend getting a Streamdeck. You can have literally hundreds of buttons (though I only use ~60ish). Having physical buttons to poke is a lot better than trying to futz with the mouse while the plane moves around underneath you and it's honestly pretty cheap (and in stock!) compared to flight-sim specific controllers.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

FunOne posted:

Can you go into more detail? Which one do you use? How do you set it up?

This looks pretty nifty, and I can see a use for Flight Sims, Kerbel, and hell, even Excel, but how much of a PITA is it to get all that working as expected.

Sure. By default, streamdeck does keyboard commands. That can work great in most aspects, but since MSFS is picky about left ctrl vs right control, some people have had problems with it.

So what I do is use two things:

vJoy (http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/). vJoy creates a virtual joystick (potentially up to I think 8 or 10 of them) on your system. Each of those virtual joysticks can have like 6 axis and over a hundred buttons each. MSFS reads them as separate controllers and you can assign functions to them in the settings menu.

Streamdeck-vJoy ( https://github.com/ashupp/Streamdeck-vJoy ). This lets us create buttons in the stream deck that trigger the virtual joystick that vJoy created. Buttons in streamdeck can fire off vJoy buttons (which MSFS can read) or can be used to move the axes of vJoy joysticks around (this is what I use for my mixture and prop control).

So that's the 'driver' part of things. For layout, what I did was make a spreadsheet with the layout of the streamdeck (4x8 in my case with the XL). I decided I wanted a main page, a page of lights and a page of autopilot settings. Fiddle around in the spreadsheet until you have a layout you like, then open the streamdeck app and make a vJoy button for each thing. To keep layout simple on myself, I just assigned every slot a button (even if it was blank or used for internal streamdeck page switching, etc). So main was a 4x8 with buttons 1-32, autopilot was 33-64, etc. Once all your buttons are set up in streamdeck (and you can check that they work with a util that comes with vJoy), open up MSFS and start binding them to the functions you labeled them with.

If you don't like your layout, drag them around in streamdeck, but *not* your layout spreadsheet; you want to keep that as it was so you can easily tell which button IDs are available to add new commands with.

This whole process took me like 2-3 hours or so. Axes can be a little wonky because the state in game does not reflect the state of the vJoy controller until you start fiddling with it, but you would have the same problem with a physical throttle, so I guess it's to be expected.

There are some annoyances in MSFS though. There are things in the sim that you can't bind to *any* button at all. Like the FMS knobs in the lower right of the Garmins or the heading or VOR sync functions of the HDG and CRS knobs. Hopefully they get their act together and add entries for them in the settings menu.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 18, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah any time I fly, the barometer gets changed a couple of times per hour.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

sigher posted:

I have the game through Steam, so Steam's showing me the game is fully up to date and MSFS2020 isn't pulling any updates when I launch it so I should be updated but who knows. I'll have to double check the live weather to make sure it's enabled.

What happens if you're running "live weather" but you adjust the time of day to something earlier, does it use the weather information from earlier in the day or it it using the current weather at the time and just changing the lighting?

You literally shouldn't be able to adjust the time in live weather mode. I think you can shift the sun around if you're in developer mode with one of the menus that adds, but other than that you're stuck in real time.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Ice is sometimes not just cosmetic, even when it's supposed to be according to your settings. It's probably a bug (since I've disabled non-cosmetic icing), but I've fallen out of the sky while flying in a straight line at altitude without touching any controls/AP settings, and I've only had that happen while covered in ice.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

sigher posted:

Does anyone have the quick cheat sheet for all of the keyboard controls for MSFS2020? I just got a Streamdeck and want to set as much as I can to it but it looks like I need to set all of the bindings to keyboard inputs for it to work, since it doesn't show up as a gamepad or anything in-game.

:eng99:

Look here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928&userid=144076&perpage=20&pagenumber=4#post508181997

I explain how to make a streamdeck into a joystick.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So on the a320, there's a wing light. I assume it's for monitoring icing (the GA planes label it as such). I can view the wings because I'm an ethereal being possessing the pilot, but in the real deal, do the flight attendants or co-pilot go look out the cabin windows every so often?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

skooma512 posted:

There's an addon for FSX in my Steam wishlist for Los Angeles scenery,. 18 bux.

Next sale for sure, right guys? :rip:

Got an MFS license for my birthday from MY GIRLFRIEND, and my Gamepass expired 20 minutes ago, so perfect.
By the way, IDK if anyone posted it but Best Buy is selling MFS standard edition for 45 bucks. You get emailed/presented with a license key on the spot.

MSFS is also on sale on the microsoft store if you have gamepass. The super primo edition is like $96 now, slightly less fancy is $72.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Rip Kobe :(

Speaking of CFIT can I switch to a radar altimeter on any of these planes?

The altimeter tape will always show barometric altitude. If your plane has a radar altimeter (not all of them do), it's a separate number in your PFD (usually prefaced by RA) and comes on within 2500 feet of the ground.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I know I've learned that if this landing doesn't look loving wonderful, that I should just go around.

Now I almost never do because it's not real, but as I die for the 4th time after a multi-hour flight, I know in my heart that it would've been the right call.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Shipon posted:

One thing I've been noticing as I fly the airliners more - the A320 seems to have higher fuel consumption than I'd expect given the map range (I tried flying from EGLL-KJFK but ran out of fuel about an hour before the flight so I had to cheat in-flight refuel), while the 787 seems to last forever. I timed my fuel consumption on the 787 at cruise and got something insane like 30 hours of remaining flight time.

Yeah the a320 is a dirty liar. The a32nx mod here https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx makes it actually work.

Somebody was telling me that the game burns a kilogram of fuel when it should be burning a pound, so it's literally less than half the range it should be.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

(2) Forcing yourself to trust the instruments is surprisingly hard when you have somatographic illusions telling you something different. Your inner ear is a biological inertial reference system, and it suffers from the exact same drift errors as a mechanical one built by humans. Without periodic recalibration (your brain uses visual references for this purpose) it can rapidly start producing incorrect data. Everyone experiences at least some of the illusions; under the hood I personally get the leans pretty quickly, where making repeated turns in one direction (say, flying a pattern) without looking outside resets your sense of "level" so that an actual level flight attitude feels banked. Even though I am staring at the leveled-out instruments and know exactly what is happening, I have to physically fight my body telling me to roll the plane. It's spooky.

Oh that's hosed. I no longer want to leave my comfy little computer desk.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

sigher posted:

So, not knowing how to flight plan at all I decided to have the game just give me a direct route on the GPS from one airport to another. Being smart, I did this in the middle of the night and thought that 4500 to 5000 feet "over" mountainous terrain was going to be good enough (I don't know how loving high my local mountains are). Soon enough the city lights disappeared and there was only black and stars and I couldn't see a drat thing. I thought "if there's mountains, I'll probably see silhouettes... right?" Then 45 minutes after initial take off I hear a crashing thud and the window pops up telling me I crashed right into the side of a mountain. It was one hell of a god drat wakeup call and legitimately scared the poo poo out of me and now I don't want to do night flights over mountains since I don't know how to properly flight plan.

When you fly long enough into the abyss, the abyss loving kills you.

I do think it's crazy that the flight planner in MSFS has no elevation data at all on the map.

If you're using something like skyvector, you get a map like this:

Those big blue numbers with a smaller (kinda superscript) number next to it (ex: 22, 23, 16) are how high you need to be to not hit anything in that zone. Big number is thousands, small number is hundreds. So in that 23 area, if you're above 2300 ft, you're not going to hit something. You should be higher than that minimum for safety, but that's as low as you want to go.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 26, 2020

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
All I wanna know is if there's any rule that states that a dog can't be the pilot in command.

The plot of my AirBud fanfic hinges on it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Is there a real world reason why an ILS approach and its runway would be parallel lines with about 300 feet between them? Seems like that's a real mean thing to do.

I'm gonna go leave a nasty yelp review on ZJHK - Meilan.

Not that I looked at it before I landed (I just picked an ILS approach from the a320's navigational doohickey), but here's an approach chart for it.
https://opennav.com/pdf/ZJHK/ZJHK-10A.pdf

Is there anything on that in particular that ids it as so out of alignment?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

aunt jenkins posted:

Your chart is super old. My current Jepp chart from Navigraph shows an ILS DME Y and a RNAV ILS DME Z to that runway, neither of which uses the same IAF as yours. However, I don't see any indication on the newer chart that it's offset. Per ICAO if it's offset more than 5° it should be an IGS approach, not ILS (FAA is even more strict, 3° or more and it becomes a LDA, like the LDA/DME 25 at KDLS for example.)

So it's probably a bug/yet another data issue.

Okay. I went and reported it on their zendesk.

Thanks!