Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dramicus posted:

I guess I'm going to be flying with an xbox controller for the time being. I think FS2020 has caused a wave of flight stick buying because everything is either sold out, or 3-5x the normal price.

It's good for me, because I'm the type of chump who'd buy something and a week later it'd be added to a tub in a closet and forgotten. I know this because I also went looking. :v:

What I haven't been able to find so far is a cheatsheet for the Xbox controls, which is rather annoying given their in-game display is menued so you have to go digging every time you want to find a different feature or you forgot Y+something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a pilot and this is my first flight sim since before Windows 95, but the red guidance squares showing the intended landing path combined with the speed it wants you to be at seem way off. If I ignore them I can land just fine but trying to do it with their directions means I'm stalling a hundred feet or so from the runway.

Also when you turn off crash damage it really gets turned off...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I then spent fifteen minutes flying around my town and then an hour flying up the Sea to Sky Highway. This game is insanely cool. How have I never gotten into flight simulators before?

Flying over your town/house/whatever and seeing incredible landscapes is a universally cool thing even if you don't know what a G1000 is or what VOR stands for. The last time I looked at a flight sim the landscape was a single color and you were lucky to get some pointy mountains or little boxes at airports for buildings.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jolo posted:

This game is really cool but I feel like it needs a few more tutorial flights. The game doesn't touch on a lot of things. You have the cool flight from Sedona to Flagstaff and back but it isn't made clear how you could set up a flight like that yourself to navigate from point to point somewhere else. I am guessing that's where VOR comes in, you fly from point to point along the way to your destination.

There's so much cool poo poo that the tutorial doesn't cover and makes the game a lot more fun. Watching a relatively short G1000 tutorial allowed me to fly over my old home county and take in all the sights I loved about the pacific northwest without spending the entire time trying to apply the most delicate of pressures to an xbox controller.

I assume they're just doing the modern game thing where they rely on youtube people desperate for hits to do the tutorials for them. I still have no idea how to apply trim correctly and just wind up bungling it for the bulk of the flight until it kindasorta lets me take a quick look around before going back to manually readjusting. Flying airliners seems impossible.

quote:

I've only flown in the tutorial Cessna. If I set my cruise altitude to something like 5k, my objective list gets locked in at ascend to cruise altitude. I can go up to 10k feet and it'll still say that my goal is to ascend to cruise altitude. Am I missing something here? Shouldn't it recognize that I've made it to my cruise altitude and update?

ATC will tell you, and in some cases won't shut up about changing it constantly, but I'm unsure if you ever get that objective cleared. I've had a lot of weird objective stuff happen where I'm unsure if it's inexperience flying or just the game being wonky. I've flown a successful flight somehow without a successful takeoff. I had a dead-on AP flight to the next waypoint and I got a nonstop warning about being off heading because 309 != 310. I did the work to manually correct the heading and this didn't clear the giant warning. The landing guidance brackets that appear will ensure you fall out of the sky long before landing if you try to make them happy. More than once I've had ATC try to murder me by telling me to drop altitude directly into a mountain.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Same. Game wouldn't recognize the DualShock 4 I had plugged in so I swapped it for a lovely knockoff Xbox 360 controller (yeah, I know, I need a HOTAS)... and promptly found myself at the desktop.

I've been using a DS4 with ds4windows and it works great. The game crashed when I loaded up ds4windows the first time (in effect, plugging in a controller) but since then it hasn't been an issue.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

zedprime posted:

Pumped for 2021 when there's going to be a ton of gently used yokes for sale, not even worried about my T Flight HOTAS One getting twitchy and out of warranty simultaneously in Jan 2021 (assuming the warranty replacement gets here after already going twitchy once)

This, although I'd probably still go for a hotas setup due to using it more in the future than a yoke.

Reading up on the hotas market is... depressing. Like I found the Logitech x56 to be more or less what I needed, but there's endless reports of it being poo poo. The Warthog is like AU$800 in normal times (people are trying to flip for 1400 now) and there's still a bunch of search results for the stick being bad. The options seem to be go Virpil or VKB and have a minimum spend of like $1300 or accept that your gear will break in two weeks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

Right now I'm using a PS4 controllers and an happy with that, but what I would like is a slider for throttle and trim and a few buttons for other common controls. I wish I could ALT click out the controls like you can the instrument screens. I've seen some folks using a stream deck to map some controls, but I'd rather not pay for one of those. Are there any third party apps which let you create custom control layouts that I can then map to game controls? I searched but didn't find anything promising.

You've got a few more inputs (touchpad swipe, touchpad click) than a normal controller and can remap those via ds4windows. No idea if you can get the touchpad to register analog so you could gingerly/quickly swipe for throttle or whatever. The game will let you map Y+<something> as a combo if you want to get into complicated territory.

Outside of purchasing additional hardware I'm not sure what you're looking for? The game already lets you bind (I think) everything and you can bind multi-key sequences.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

This guy is the only reason I can fly a G1000/G3000. He's got one up for the computer on the XCub as well but I've got enough problems trying to not hit the wrong AP buttons that make it poo poo itself and try to murder you. It's nice having someone go into all the cool stuff at a reasonable (even if it means I have to watch his videos multiple times) instead of padding out an hour long video that puts me to sleep.

Unrelated: OnAir looks super cool and makes me wonder why MS doesn't just buy it and pack it with the game. That's the sort of gamification that'd make me fly hundreds of hours because I'm stupid for number go up. You know, once I can fly without getting -20% Bad Landing, -20% Didn't Hit That One Switch, -12% Wrong Altitude, -12% Dodgy Pitch, -35% Pilot Clearly Drunk.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Just flew an entire flight with instruments and it was sweet. I canceled a waypoint because I'm a rebel, googled the ILS frequency and approach, selected the right runway, did all my altitude changes with VS and FLC... and spent virtually the entire flight trying to figure out where they hid the stupid NAV1 frequency menu. Had to pause and watch videos to find it. Wound up getting the cheevo for it and that felt pretty good for a first attempt. Turned off all guidance. :smug:

Now if I can just stop freaking the gently caress out because I can see the runway and oh god my speed is like 80 knots I'm going to die CUT ALL THROTTLE... then maybe I can land on asphalt for once.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Since I want to do a straight-in approach to utilize ILS, is that something I need to specifically request with ATC? SVMI were cool and gave me a nice approach since I was coming in that way anyway. PHNL told me to do a barrel roll. I guess it doesn't matter in my offline sandbox because I can turn around and retry with a proper heading but I want to know how to do it properly. According to the magic guidance brackets (that I need to figure out how to turn off) it looks like my automatic ATC handling just picks where I'm located and tells me the most direct path, even if it's a death spiral over the runways.

Lord Stimperor posted:

When I told the g1000 to use an ils approach it got down on the runway by itself (with meanaging throttle gear and flaps). Do I actually also have to tell it the frequencies?

I guess I'm just unlucky in the random places I pick to fly, but I've never had it preload the frequency. I suspect one of the bits missing in the G3000 is the ability to look that stuff up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

androo posted:

Once I got in the air the autopilot went haywire, which it seems to do even if I don't have a (possibly incompleted since I didn't take off the right way) NAV set. A lot of other people run into this issue, too, where autopilot works once, and once you turn it off and back on it makes you dive no matter what the altitude is set to. Unfortunately, the AI copilot seems to have the same idea if you hand control over.

The first five or so times this happened I thought I'd done something wrong. Perfectly smooth AP, turn it off to take a side adventure zipping around and looking at stuff, turn it back on and it is murderously resentful for you turning it off. It does eventually recover if you level out and turn it on/off enough. By that point you're way off course but at least it comes back. I figure once the xbone version pops we'll see a huge bugfix release for a bunch of this stuff.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Cancelbot posted:

I never had an issue with the G3000 but I really love the TBM when I remember to set the throttle to zero before it sets itself on fire, the 1000 pisses me off more but that's because I need to unbind mousewheel from zoom

They've both been suicidal on me on the second or higher activation. It's also a good thing both FLC and VS exist because one or the other will temporarily break at some point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Man that T16000 stick+throttle+pedals boxed set for (non-flipper-prices) just under AU$400 looks like a good deal for something I'll probably not use a ton of but have a lot of fun when I do. I'm sure youtube/reddit reviews will tell me it's poo poo and instantly breaks. :v:

On the subject of ATC: I don't mind ATC in general but I'd really like a toggle for a sort of semi-assisted setup. Having my drunk rear end ghost copilot ack dumb decisions for landing sucks. Also, while I know it's not ~realism~ at least having the text option to filter out other planes would be nice to preserve screen space. I'll get an altitude change but it's instantly buried behind a dozen calls for some npc airliner to get the hell above 10000 feet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't touched the keyboard bindings and it does nothing for me too. I'm also constantly getting these helpful tips:

I forget which turns off the :eng101: crap but do that immediately. It'd be cool to have notifications like "Hey, airspeed under 10000 feet is limited to X" but instead it's just crap about the parking brake and how to raise the front of your plane.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

That's kind of why I haven't touched OnAir. That sort of gamification is enough for me to hook it straight into my veins but getting kicked in the face for a million minor infractions that don't affect anything would be infuriating. Doubly so if it meant my run wasn't profitable or I couldn't afford a shiny new thing.

Sagebrush posted:

My pet theory is that they pushed out the PC release when it was a little half-baked specifically to serve as a public beta and stress test for the XBox version. It's going to be a flagship, first-party launch title for the new console and it would be really embarrassing if it ran like poo poo and was full of bugs.

This, plus I'd go one further and say their plan is to somehow get this thing running on Xbone (let alone Series X) and then port those performance enhancements back. Halo is delayed and Sony has nothing, so having a certified hit on day one is a massive deal this gen. If I were a gambling man I'd say there's a large amount of people desperately swearing at xbone dev kits and two guys trying to fix PC installer bugs.

I still like the game and it runs fine for me, but it's gotta suck if you're hardcore into sims and the biggest release in a decade is unplayable. :/

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

spaceblancmange posted:

Lol that modders are using google maps data to make mods. Starting to seea few Aus landmarks coming out like the MCG and the Harbour bridge. I don't know why they even bothered doing the opera house if they weren't going to do the bridge, it looks so wrong.

Better than when I flew over it a week or so ago. It didn't have those pillars or the arch. It was the world's most boring flat gray bridge right next to the goddamn opera house. I may hate that stupid bridge and the stupid city gated by it but how do you look at the two landmarks that matter and go 50% on it when they're right next to each other.

It'll be a sad day when they remove the Melbourne Monolith.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The only way to get stuff like this done is to weaponize the grognards. You need to be sure you're ready for them to go full grognard before you pull that trigger.

Unrelated: Are there any sites yet listing tourist-ey flight paths for MSFS? I feel like doing a nice multi-hop cruise (never done this before) but would like it to cover some cool stuff in the world instead of saying "yup, that's a satellite photo" and skipping to approach.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I mean there's only 3, but the Bush trips are exactly this right now

I saw those but figured (given you can't pick the plane and people said you can't refuel some places) those were more "challenge mode" than tourist stuff. I'll try that out, though there's not going to be much time to view stuff without a computer. :v:

Cat Potency posted:

I'm having a great time just doing 3rd person bush flights around familiar locations and other spectacular places around the globe but apparently that's not the 'proper' way to play!

Dig down into the fun stuff and have your ghost copilot handle the rest. There are no points to lose or systems to game where you'd need to do unfun stuff to get to the "real" game. There's no leaderboard for Realest Pilot. Chill and fly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's part touristy, part "drop you in the wild and make you figure out where you're supposed to go with limited information and lovely maps." But like people have said, there's buttons to keep you on track to make it easier.

I almost made it through Nevada. Their instructions are horrible and full of dumb tourist pamphlet stuff, and the textures for the river (bonus points for giant shark fins!) go strange places that got me off course quite a bit. Still, I practiced a lot of really nice flying if I do say so my drat self. Nice and steady, throttle up/down at the right time, smooth rear end turns (mostly). After a couple of missed turns I got back on track and used the visual references and headings to get me to the airport. No ATC, no ATIS, but I know I'm supposed to land into the wind so wanted to pick a runway based on that. This reminded me that you can look for the windsock, but I was a bit high up and couldn't see one. No problem, since there's no planes around and I could descend and take a trip over the midline to check for it. I'm a responsible pilot!

I died over the airport because I wasn't monitoring airspeed on descent and my Savage Cub tore itself apart. :negative:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

First leg of Nevada done. I don't know if me having the best landing I've ever had going in manually with a taildragger for the first time is a good or a bad thing. I'll take it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

In the middle of all this talk about crazy keybinds and crazier mouseclicking, has Voice Attack ever caught on with the flightsim crowd? It had quite a few fans back when I was playing E:D a lot. I could never get the voice stuff to really click but it sounds like it might help some people here.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

[*]More sane keybindings. Ctrl+Shift+Home and Ctrl+Shift+End are how you're supposed to change the VOR heading. Good luck remembering that or using it one handed while trying to keep your plane level because the autopilot sucks.
[/list]

It's annoying but I'd imagine that's limited by the the complexity of the sim. My very brief attempt at learning realistic flight was (I think... memory bad) with Falcon 3.0 and it died at seeing like 80% of the keyboard being used. Binding every possible action in a Savage Cub with reasonably quick keys? No problem. It very quickly scales to having a stupid number of switches and knobs so soon you're doing Ctrl-Shift-Alt-G to turn on the No Smoking sign. "Weird chords", as you put it, were something I assumed existed everywhere due to cockpit complexity.

A hope I have is that we're doing the Gaming In 2020 thing where release is just early access. They're going to need to seriously optimize as well as streamline the learning process for the xbone crowd (not being PCMR, just that statistically if you're a hardcore flight sim guy you're using a PC) jumping in on the big hit release game for the new console. This could include things like programmable on-screen displays or radial menus. You won't get the fidelity of touching every button but it'll make it so lesser-used functions like "Turn off engine" or "Turn on de-icing" will be doable without a keyboard or desperately searching for a switch.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I hear if you don't fly enough unmarked packages out of Cuba then Aunt Jenkins sends people around to take your virtual legs.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Yeah if you’re starting and worried about binds, what you really need to have ready is this:
Flight axes and throttle (duh)
Flaps increment/decrement
Elevator trim up/down
Autopilot Master (toggle)
Speed brake (toggle between 0/full, or an axis)
Gear toggle (probably)

Post for people who cannot get a hotas for at least another goddamn three weeks because everywhere in AU is sold out...

I forget who mentioned this before, but on controller the first thing you should do is rebind L1/R1 (or LB/RB) to elevator trim. Why this isn't the default is insane. Unless the computer is flying the plane for me I never want to be in a situation where my hand isn't on the stick and changing that trim mapping was wonderful.

Y on controller is a modifier only, so you can do things like:
Y+LB - Left rudder trim
Y+RB - Right rudder trim
Y+LB+RB - Shut off power
Y+LB+RB - Shut off engine
Y+LS - Toggle AP (no more quickly fumbling back for the controller when it tries to murder you!)

This is enough to take off, fly around and land without touching the mouse. X is bound to Smart Camera by default, so if you chuck that and use it for another modifier you've got six more functions you can safely perform. If your hand isn't on the stick (ground, staring at the computer while it does your job) then you've got the d-pad available from your left thumb so there's a lot more possibilities for fiddling with things. I just have all that checklist/startup stuff automated so I don't know what's important.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe you don't understand. Its not that its simply changing when I press things. It is constantly flapping like 10 times per second. Its about to give me a seizure. With no buttons pressed on either controller.

You'd think they would add a minimum time in between showing the controller/noncontroller inputs like many games do but it's not rare to see it.

As for the controls I would never have picked out "I want to take weird angle selfies without pausing while actively flying the plane" as a priority. The only weird part is not letting you bind the mouse to flight controls, though I guess then they'd have to bind a separate key to switch modes so you could hit buttons/switches in the cockpit.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

When the "runways are based on heading" info got dropped in here it was immensely helpful. I'd still like an in-game map of the airport but at least now I know the heading I'll need to be on to get lined up for a straight landing when I eventually see it. The game really does you a disservice with the automated ATC because your dumb copilot will just request whatever is nearest when you get close and that always involves violently corkscrewing down to a runway while being told you're too fast. "No poo poo" I yell at the emotionless robot copilot, "you just asked me to instantly drop 5000 feet out of the sky."

Is altitude something someone here could drop an effortpost on? Aside from flights where ATC is constantly telling me where to go the game kind of ignores it. I'll be at 10000" in a TBM and everything is cool, but if I skip to the descent step I'm at like 16000" and I have no idea why the game would know to do that. Is this just hidden pilot lore or is there some in-game indication I've missed?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Also note that your G1000 probably has the runway diagrams available on the map display if you zoom in all the way. Makes it easy to find your way around.

Welp! Thanks for that and also I'm dumb. When I'm done bush running I need to hop back into a TBM and fiddle with that second screen more.

quote:

It's hidden pilot lore.
Airlines will have the altitudes and climbs for their routes worked out to the second to save gas. GA pilots usually just pick an altitude that will clear all the terrain and feels right and call it a day.

...and thanks again for this. I thought maybe there was some sort of predefined arcane "You always climb to 10000" if you're in a single engine craft going southbound against the wind on a tuesday unless ATC tells you otherwise" FAA regulation in place that would have defined why the computer wanted to fly super high. Good to know I'm not going to get pulled over by the aircops for keeping it at 5000" so I can see the pretty scenery.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I don't even know what the blue knob is for (I see it in other setups) but I totally want a honeycomb yoke and that throttle. Thankfully the fact that I can't get the yoke has allowed my rational brain to take over and keep me from spending $1000 on peripherals for a single game I play for ~45 minutes a day. :v:

No stopping me next year when t.16000 hotas stock comes back, though. At least then I can justify it by saying it's for space games too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Krogort posted:

Anyone playing MSFS 2020 using a xbox one Bluetooth controller?
I keep mine around to use the drone from time to time but if I switch it on while flying (as opposed to beforehand) it seem to freeze the game then crash to desktop.
This is really annoying , I wonder if there are some workaround ?

This seems to be a problem common to all controllers. Plugging one in, starting ds4windows so it suddenly shows up as an xbox controller, and it seems anything introducing a new controller after the game is started will crash it. Kind of a weird one to slip past QA but I'm pretty sure they're aware of it now.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

kojei posted:

Not super directly relevant to anything being discussed here at the moment but I think the best thing I did in terms of affecting my enjoyment of the game was turn ATC off. Still follow the procedures and whatnot, but no more having ATC demanding I expedite my plane into the side of a mountain or insisting I taxi some donuts into the apron before lining me up at the wrong runway.

I like the simulation aspect of having to change altitude or swap runways because of other planes, but they also will absolutely try to kill you for no reason. Most of when it pisses me off is when the auto copilot requests clearance to land at the wrong runway. I've got a perfect ILS landing and this clown wants me to circle around and drop into the parking lot.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I've only cleared leg five of the Nevada bush run and I'm already tired of this mode. If you quit out and go back in it puts you in a different location and breaks the navlog so you need to do it all in one shot. The POI instructions have gone from having to pick the right words out of the tourist soup to deliberately misleading sentences that are just short of outright lies. I've got google maps open just to try to figure out where this poo poo is, with youtube as a backup for unmarked locations.

Bedurndurn posted:

If anyone can tell me how to keep it from trying to go straight up and kill us all in the next 2 hours, I'd really appreciate it.

Fix your trim that the AP went crazy on, turn off any ALT/HDG/whatever modes, get back to reasonable level flight, make sure your CDI selection is where you want to go, turn AP back on. Prepare for it to set your trim to murder if you turn it off again.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 2, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I noticed this last night. The L/R rudder are just buttons. I'm not in front of my PC to check, but maybe you can go into the All assignments and make them axis?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Porfiriato posted:

I didn't realize that if you have a custom livery it displays for other players, which is pretty cool...as evidenced by this person doing the Death Star trench run in a FedEx livery:

I assume this is just for official livery packs from MSFS and not custom custom ones? It'd be cool if someone who actually used photoshop and not mspaint and had any sort of creativity and artistic ability did something like

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

:kiss:

Would love to see a swarm proudly flying.

I had a brief look for info on how people are creating these but the only info I found was an a320s. Looks like there's a whole wacky file structure for the textures that makes it more involved than something like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Well, I tried to turn on the autopilot to maintain course and heading in the TBM. I paused for a bit and then found it was trying to send me straight into the ground. I think I disabled the autopilot and the plane still wanted to nose down. Also, it continued to lose speed while I was paused. What's up with that? I increased engine power and raised my altitude so I could play around with it. Elevator trim didn't seem to do anything to solve it.

Everyone (I think) has had this happen. Reading through posts it looks like a combination of a lot of things. User error is the big one - quirks in the computer, not having the right CDI selected, messing up modes, etc. AP also seems to do weird stuff with your trim, so often turning it off will have the plane trying to pitch wildly in one direction or another until you manually reset it. Turning AP on with no mode selected should (at least from video tutorials I've seen) just keep you going straight forward and level but I've definitely had it start pitching wildly for no reason that I could see. I use FLC for climb and VS for descent because doing the opposite with those functions has produced weird results for me seemingly at random.

I've never used YD, but in general once it is locked in AP does its job just fine. You just need to be prepared to fight for your life whenever you touch the controls.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How actually does getting fuel work? I saw something about SHIFT-F but nothing ever seems to happen for me. A friend of mine in the same session managed to get the truck just fine though.

You can contact ground services at big airports to get someone to drive a truck over. If you're doing one of the bush runs, or haven't planned your own route with enough big airport stops, then you have to use the cheat "Repair and Refuel" bind. Strangely the bush runs seem to be designed with this in mind, and while you can use the bind in the air it supposedly fails the leg if you do that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Kerosene19 posted:

With this new engine a mission mode for fire crew tanker drops could be loving amazing.

It'd probably look amazing for the people who buy a 3090ti and could actually render it. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Finally, what can I do in the TBM cockpit for lighting so I can see the autopilot panel at night? I was thumbing around in the dark trying to work on it and clearly did some stupid stuff.

Hit Ctrl-L (i think) to put on your mining helmet. There may be a switch somewhere for cabin mood lighting but the helmet works in every plane.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What are my recourses for skipping ahead in flights?

Hover over the little bar at the top of the screen. It has ATC, VFR map and other popouts. One of them is Travel To, and you can use that to warp to waypoints/descent/approach.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

I think there is a shitload of user error involved in a lot of these auto pilot issues. I'm not saying it's 100% fine by any means but I've used it tons and never had it try to kill me.

That's where I ended up and it matches my experience - it has a lot of bugs but it's really difficult to differentiate the user error from the bugs. I watched a youtube clip of an actual TBM 930 that was basically an ad for how safe the G3000 was. If they fixed the bugs in it then it'd just be down to user error and that's a lot easier to give advice on than trying to guess if it's the user or some weird FS2020 problem.

I generally have had good experiences after learning with it but I'm also not putting $50k worth of Colombian powdertotally legal consumer goods at risk in OnAir when the AP freaks out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

piratepilates posted:

password max length is 8 characters, only alphanumerics.

who are these jokers?

We fixed the sql injection flaw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

What happens when you Travel To while playing with OnAir? Is it flagged as failed or cheating or something? Just imagining all these Orlando->Cuba flights you guys apparently make and how many hours of staring at the gps that would be.

Sagebrush posted:

I still think steam gauges look cooler though and I hope that some third party old beater planes start coming out soon. I want to fly a 737-200 and an Electra and a Beaver please

I don't know planes, but whatever they put in I want one with good forward visibility. Flying around in 3rd person is a good workaround with the magic floating instruments but it loses the charm of the gauges.