Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

Occulus would be a nightmare in DCS. You'd need virtual hands to to flip cockpit switches, because you have no way of looking at your controls, or telling where your real hands are.

I'm seeing a crossover between OctoDad (http://www.octodadgame.com/) and DCS A-10 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Essobie posted:

Just be ready to ship it off to Saitek for repairs/replacement in the first few weeks if their QA didn't notice whatever flaws it may have shipped with.

I appear to have gotten a fairly decent one, although I will say that the slider is a really lovely axis that I never really use, and the center detente on the rotational axes feels slight off, but generally speaking it's been a solid stick that has thus far totally failed to stop me augering the KA-50 into the ground. It's a bit of a money leap to the next level and I need to keep the helicopter in the air for a bit longer until I can justify it.

I've not gotten around to the magnet mod, either.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

MadCatz, is known universally for making the most god awful controllers ever to have graced mankind. The OUYA controllers have nothing on the poo poo that Mad Catz puts out.

Wait a minute, hold on there....

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Does Flaming Cliffs 3 have tutorials in the same vein as the DCS sims?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

My flight stick is kind of giving me a lot of resistance and squeaks and groans, due to age and dust.

How do I maintenance that? Warm wet rag and clean the area under the washer looking thing at the base of the stick, followed by a bit of oil?

I'd recommend some white grease after you use the rag, just to give it something. White grease is usually found on the travelling bits of inkjet printers if you're cheap and lazy like I am. Oil can break down plastics and deplasticise them.

Just leaving this here after someone IM'd it to me today; http://www.nickelonthegrass.net/MiG_Kill.htm

"This was the only MiG-19 shot down by cannon fire during the course of the war in Southeast Asia, and is believed to be the highest speed gun kill in the history of aerial combat."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
This interests me, but it's pretty expensive.

http://www.simhq.com/_mobile/mobile_006a.html - anyone actually using it?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I haven't flown a fighter in a long time, focusing mainly on the A-10C and now the Huey, so this evening I took the F-15C out for a spin to see how it handled and how fast I could go. Turns out I broke the sound barrier. Sadly I didn't know where any other instruments in the cockpit were except the altimeter and compass, so when I tried an impromptu landing I didn't have the exact speed or angle of attack. I'm not sure how fast I was actually going, but I do know that the wreckage cleared the runway.

[/efficiency]

My second flight with the F15 ended with my pilot getting killed by a Russian IR missile and going into a vertical, afterburned loop before hitting the ground at a positive mach number. I've yet to master a controlled crash.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd be far more impressive if you hit the ground with a negative mach number.

It was a ham-fisted way of saying 'rilly rilly fast'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

DCS: A-10 on Steam is fully compatible with DCS World, correct?

Don't bother installing it, just download DCS World and the A-10 module and plugin the CD key when it asks. Black Shark needs to be installed if you're upgrading to BS2, though. The Steam version of A-10 won't play nicely with DCS as it's a standalone rather than being 'part of the framework'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megadyptes posted:

You can plug the steam cd keys into the standalone DCS World client, right? Might pick up the Huey despite being terrible at helicopters.

I'd also be interested in this answer. Are they still not linking items bought direct from DCS to Steam and vice/versa?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

Find, download, and install the module that you have the steam key for on top of your DCS install. Launch DCS world, open up multiplayer. It should prompt you for the CD key from there. To find your CD key, it's in the far right list of options on the library page of the module in question.

Yeah, just bought Huey, looking for the CD-key on Steam and there don't appear to be any.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I tried that too but get a "CANNOT CONNECT WITH SERVER" error :saddowns:

I saw the instructions in the other thread, but I'm also seeing the 'failed to contact key server'.

Fake edit;

wagmatt posted:

The sale of A-10C far exceeded expecations and Steam ran out of keys. New keys are being sent today.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/864978110152412699/#c864978110152967758

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

deck posted:

Yes, it's the full version. The upgrade license for BS2 isn't available or usable on Steam, and may never be. They obviously need to just reissue new full-product keys to everyone that owns the BS2 upgrade but... It's Eagle Dynamics. (aka Don't Hold Your Breath) If they really think they're "losing money" by doing that, they need to stop smoking whatever crack addicts in Russia smoke to get high. It's probably just crack I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine - 'Krokodil'

"Since the home-made mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That got recursive fast.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Thanks for the tip! I look forward to seeing if I'm still as awful at civil helicopters as I was the last time I tried 14 years ago :suicide:.

It's a little splashy and seems to follow the ARMA semi-sim system, but it scratched an itch that Black Shark couldn't quite get to.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

You might check out War Thunder, its free to play and theres not a real pay to win component (its pay to fly jets and higher tier aircraft but low tier stuff is more fun anyways).

Don't do arcade battles with a HOTAS, you'll be at a disadvantage. Actually, just play realistic battles and ignore arcade mode unless you like that kind of thing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Separating gamers from their cash in F2P games is down to a science, look at clash of clans, candy crush and the like. There's some good articles on gamasutra on the topic.

World of Tanks is apparently the current leader in separating people from their cash.

Edit: I've not played for at least a year, so I don't actually know. I go through intense phases with MMOs, then dump them for a year or so.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 10, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Put in a day or two of overtime, get paid, buy a proper TrackIR. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist prick who thinks money grows on trees, I'm trying to save you time and money and frustration. Everyone I know who's built a freetrack setup spent so much time and effort trying to build one that they wish they would have just went out and got the money together to buy a real one.

Also the track clip pro is significantly better than the hat clip. Just throwing that out there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Any recommendations on where to find these?

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php/files/file/273-dcs-a10c/ - the profile is saying that the PDF is corrupted, but most of the other files are intact.

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Hardware_Profiles - Has a bunch of links to various profiles you can use. The CH* profile links to the forum page containing the file download.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/38412/ - this seems more additive than the previous one.

I went through a bunch of pre-built profiles for the X52 and eventually built my own because it was frustrating to find some fairly batshit configurations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gibfender posted:

For those looking to get a little more performance out of DCS, these videos might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKaHKWnEckw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlbXHPm7zBo

He's running it at the same resolution and the same monitor as me, but his conclusion appears to settle on using Nvidia because of their DirectX 9 support.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Pricing scheme to capture the sizable idiot demographic while still offering an option for people who can do basic math. Its good business is what it is.

The standalone models have much higher fidelity flight models and proper 6dof cockpits. You get these as an owner of Flaming Cliffs 3, but it's not like they're just breaking up the pack.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Would playing on a 32" HDTV @ 1080p make it easier to spot enemy aircraft? I'm currently using a 24" monitor and it's really hard to get a tally without using labels.

Your pixels will be bigger, so I'd give a qualified yes if you're sitting the same distance from it. All of those caveats are not as dumb as they may seem.

Edit: Black Shark 2 - Downloaded and installed the module into DCS World Steam; Black Shark was installed at the same time so it can check, everything comes up roses.

Going into the options menu to set the controls and there are two dropdowns for axis assignment and general. Both pages are completely blank.

Anyone run into this before? The Googles don't seem to know about it. The game runs, and there is a control profile in the usual spot, but it doesn't show up in the controls of the launcher app.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 5, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Did the previous DCS thread go archives?

Yeah, quite a while back. We've been mostly zapping between this and the IL-2 thread.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Speaking of ARMA, Take On Helicopters is 80% off this weekend, is it worth picking up?

The base game has you flying a few helicopters in civilian jobs based around the story of a helicopter company in Seattle. The missions including tracking whales and sling loads, but it kinda pisses me off because the flight model seems very low fidelity. The walking around and talking tends to shift the focus away from flying helicopters, which is an odd choice. There's a Hind expansion pack that I own, but I've not actually found out where they are.

This guy has apparently tweaked the flight model for the light helicopter, but I haven't had chance to compare the two. - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?145171-Advanced-Flight-Model-based-on-HTR

I wanted to like Take on helicopters, but I don't. I load it up every so often to remind myself to unfuck Blackshark.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thief posted:

Sorry, Vaha. I couldn't resist punishing you for not flying under the wires:

I shagged my lead in the second race by getting close enough to the ground to bend my prop and become a glider, all because I thought that I could make it under the wires. Did it a couple of times, too, on the previous races. That high g turn out of the north gate was pretty exciting, and I'd be up for a four gate race.

Getting off the ground was difficult at times, but it's the most fun I've had while wearing pants in a while.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

concise posted:

Then I fixed the horrible dead zone by sticking the stock magnets directly under the hall sensors with blue poster tack.

I finally got off my arse and uploaded the images from my magnet modding;

Album and explanations here: http://imgur.com/a/0njLf

Looks like our X52s aren't the same internally. FWIW, my responses are brilliant now, but I'm noticing the mechanical deadzone a lot more.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yesssss. Now this is jet stuff I can get behind. No fancy computers systems or electronics! We need more Korea/early Vietnam stuff.

Why do I get the impression that they're throwing in their favourite planes rather than building a coherent game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Captain Novolin posted:

Obviously they're not because there's no F-4 Phantom II in development.

I'd buy that. I'd buy that so hard. Actually, I'd quite like an A-6 as well.

Elukka posted:

It's 3rd party devs, but yeah I don't personally see the point. I have no interest in a WW2 fighter or a Korean war fighter or a Vietnam era Cobra in the modern setting of DCS because there's just nothing to do with them. I'd understand it if it was a Korean war module with a map and Mig-15s and a couple other AI planes, but just a plane in a vacuum I don't get.

That's my current problem. Flying a P-51 trainer over Georgia is fun an all, but once you've done the landings there's not a lot more to do.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

This is from a page back, but...

DCS have just announced that they're taking over the WW2 combat sim project themselves, so no more worries about CLOD people ruining it, I think.

That seems suspect, especially with it being a Kickstarter. Oleg walk away or something?

The last public update on the Kickstarter was April, anyone throw in for this get a backer-only update?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

Well, I don't have a forum account on ED's site, but this is where I read it from:

http://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/27kb3z/dcs_wwii_europe_1944_luthier_is_out_eagle/

"There is nothing more we can say about this change and it is not open for discussion."

classy. This was Luthier's project and they still had five months before the yelling would start. Looks like new drama.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

I got burned by Wings of Prey's terrible mission design that makes it virtually impossible to finish any mission on realistic mode and almost impossible to win in arcade mode on some missions. But it's still in my steam games. Are there any mods that add a decent campaign?

I've never found any, and I own that game on two platforms. I've never found out why the I-153's engine just randomly gives out during the battle over Stalingrad, and destroying two waves of bombers on my tod during realistic seems to be more masochistic than slamming my junk in a door.

Oh, and never managed to down all the trimotors in the none-shall-pass mission.

War Thunder is about as close as you can get to it and actually has a dynamic single player campaign or two. Also free.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

Looks like it's actually MS Flight and not FSX.
http://www.simflight.com/2014/06/10/news-microsoft-flight-simulator/

Anyways, GOG has most of their games 50% off for their summer sale. I'm thinking of picking up the Enemy Engaged games, are they still worth playing or should I just save the money for Black Shark 2?

Steam Summer Sale starts on the 19th, so you might want to leave purchases for a short while.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jiblet posted:

All that said, I have no idea why your height would be related to the preferred spacing of your pedals so YMMV.

It's an indication of testicle spread. Gotta avoid the batwing on long flights.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wh1plash posted:

not if he is planning to upgrade it over the course of two years. i generally build a comp every 2-3 years, reusing mouse/kb/speakers and hard drives. I dont spend more than 500-1000, depending on what im building at the time and what the budget is.

Edit: Right now I'm running an i7 2600K, asus sabertooth p67, 8gigs of ram, evga 2 gig 560ti 2 500gig raptors in raid 0. when i bought everything in March 2012, except for the hard drives I was at $950, 320 of it was vid card, and 300 was cpu. The hard drives were a mid-cycle upgrade because my previous raid poo poo the bed. so all in all im $1200 in for my rig over a 2 1/2 yr cycle, and at best all i need to do right now is throw in 8 gigs more of ram and upgrade the vid card and I'm set for another yr and a half. my antec 900 tower was free, did a brake job for a friend hurting on cash, psu i reused from my old comp, which is just a BFG 650.

I have no issues running anything on full detail as it stands right now, it would only be to prolong the lifespan till my next build cycle.

Sometimes spending a little more at the beginning, nets you a bit of longevity in the long run.

Dump the raid, buy an ssd. You're running a risk of losing two drives in raid 0, and the ssd's are around $139 for a 250gb samsung Evo. I'm a recent convert to ssd, so I evangelize a bit.

Teeter posted:

The PC parts picking megathread in SHSC was a great resource for building a light gaming PC on the cheap.

Word. I just replaced my 7770 with a 760ti on their advice, and got a solid 25% increase in performance.

The ti isn't good for multi-monitor, but I drive a 30" display so it suits me down to the ground.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wh1plash posted:

I was brought up on SCSI raid, and SSD's still have a higher chance for failure rate than SATA or SCSI.

Also brought up on raid, but not 0, which I've personally considered risky. And it had a period of time when seagates crapped out on me when I was an IT manager back in the sub terabyte level, five out of eight drives that didn't get close to the bathtub curve. Horses for courses though, and another poster explained far more eloquently than me. Hell, I'm still using amd phenoms in an i5 world.

As someone that cares about data integrity, the ssd move was something that worried me, but they appear to be a lot more solid than they used to be, and you don't have to gently caress about nearly as much as you had to with the OS.

The Ferret King posted:

The levers are thin metal bars that slide into spring loaded plastic receivers that lock down. Several of the levers weren't filed down before being painted, so they have pretty nasty metal burrs on them that prevent them from being inserted into the receivers on the base, and also hurt when you scrap against them.

That's terrible quality assurance. You should hassle them anyway; they might not be aware if they don't own the manufacturing line.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daimo posted:

And they even cut it for you for free. So if you can sketch some basic measurements all you have to do is glue it together. Much easier than Mario pipe-fuckery.

It has the slight advantage of not exploding if you show it any water.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Posting this here because of the flight sperg crossover;

IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad has added the single player campaign and they're suggesting November 1st as the release date with currently 90% completion.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unexpected posted:

Thank you for the reply! I'll definitely give DCS a try.

What about helicopters? Doesn't have to be military.

Take on Helicopters is a Bohemia 'sim' that does a decent job of modelling helicopters and starts with civilian, but has a Hind expansion. There's high degrees of jank because it's Bohemia. Their Arma line includes some helicopters, but it's more gamey on the Arma 2 end. Arma 3 just got the updated flight model - for free - but conflated it with an expensive piece of DLC with three helicopters. More on the gamey side, but Dyslecxi - youtube guy - does a great job of showcasing what can be done.

Basic Arma 3 Helicopters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmnLl8iEnrI

Take on helicopters gameplay at ridiculous detail levels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfE28tvl_EQ

There's a couple of scenarios for Arma 3 that are just based around the flying of helicopters. Note that I would NOT recommend buying Arma for just the helicopters. Take on Helicopters tends to be on sale fairly frequently.

The KA-50 Black Shark is a fairly specialist helicopter that is mostly autopilot controlled, and you'll want to read up on the trimming of that beast before concluding that it wants to kill you. I've not been able to really take the Huey out for a spin because there are financial constraints on my ability to buy pedals.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kashwashwa posted:

I was actually a pretty big fan of the corny campaign. Even managed to finish it.

I just wish it didn't have quite so much dialog, or stomping around in typical arma fashion. I require lower ranks to carry me around on their shoulders, like a Gaulish chieftain.

At the moment I'm really giving Helos in Arma 3 the college try until I pick up some pedals, but at the moment it's a cavalcade of striking buildings, random mid-air explosions and flopping onto my side during landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

Welcome to ArmA!

We're firmly into my lack of skill territory here. I mean, solidly crap at flying an eggbeater.

Well, okay, the random mid-air explosions are probably Bohemia. Everything else is me.