Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
X-plane 10 is also a very viable option. I could write up a quick blurb or so about it for the OP, if that's something that you'd toss in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does X-Plane 10 still require the USS Enterprise's computer to run? I enjoyed 9 but when trying out 10 last it STILL ran sub 1fps. This was about a year ago now though.

I'm running an overclocked i7 at 4.2ghz, 8 gb ram, and a GTX 670. The sim runs tons better than FSX ever did for me with many of the options way way up there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm looking at updating my hotas with the Thrustmaster Warthog setup. Is there any interest here for a Saitek X65 here?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrYenko posted:

The Saigek X65 is a pressure-sensor stick. Great at simulating an F-16 side stick. Terrible at everything else.

It's actually a pretty great fixed-wing stick. I say that not as someone looking to sell that but genuinely. I do a lot of helo flying stuff which it's not very good at.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is FC3 out of beta and have a pretty decent single player component?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

freeranger posted:

Hey guys,

We are looking at setting up a basic flight simulator within the school I work at. Any suggestions on which flight sim I should be looking at. PC will be specifically built for running the flight sim, so I can't decide between Flight Sim X with a few mods, or going with the latest X-Plane.

I'll be checking out the trial versions of both, but figured I would ask what most users seem to think would be best now. I've read the first few posts of this thread were it seems to favor FSX, but wasn't sure if this was still the case.

I'll most likely have more questions coming soon.

I'm probably one of the few that would suggest going this direction here but X-plane 10 by far. X-plane 10 is a faster piece of software to use and operate, is extremely configurable, scales well for systems so you don't need an enormously powerful rig to run decently, and is very comprehensive in terms of how easily you can put an aircraft in any sort of situation.

FSX is dogshit unless you're wanting to invest in some payware mods and aircraft. Granted, X-Plane 10 benefits from having some really nice payware jets like the Boeing 777 or whatever, but it's not necessary. X-plane 10 also flies really nicely compared to FSX as well as modeling helicopter flight quite a bit better as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:siren:
Crosspost from SA-Mart for my X-65F HOTAS listing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555067

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Got a Thrustmaster Warthog and some rudder pedals today. poo poo is magic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It doesn't but it still needs to be installed for the Bs2 module to function.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So.....that TM Warthog stick? Yea it feels like using something absurdly high-end just to get all the switches to work using the TM software. It's really only truly plug n play with DCS A-10.

I'm having to really work at getting it all functioning with Falcon BMS.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I did find one. Making sense of the shift commands and whatnot is kinda confusing for me because I'm still in that "the gently caress is going on?" phase with the Falcon. I'll get it soon enough.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Black Shark is fun. The chopper itself is very Russian and by that I mean incredibly inelegant.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

taxi mishap.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yessir. The Huey is tremendous fun.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The A-10 is woefully underpowered so climbing on one engine is unlikely. Did you lose hydraulics? That could maybe cause a landing gear issue.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

XtraSmiley posted:

I'm interested in this stick and have a few newbie questions.

1. Is this a good all around stick for other planes beside the A10?
2. How does the stick actually feel? I've heard the lubricant used is not good or something?
3. Is it usable as a helicopter stick at all?

Like I said, total newbie, but I wanted to get the coolest stick out there to mess around with and the TMW seemed to be the one.

1. Yes. unbelievably so. You won't be at a loss for functionality
2. Solid, well-built, sturdy, fantastic, etc. It feels every bit of its price. It'll be the last stick and throttle you'll ever need.
3. Just fine as long as you have rudder pedals. By the way, the stick doesn't twist so you'll need rudder pedals.

TARGET is actually easy to use to program the stick and throttle.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Not a ton. Several radar modes, weapons switching, waypoint stuff, next target, etc. Pretty basic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

XtraSmiley posted:

Thanks guys, I'm cruising ebay for a sub $400 WH now... I'll bide my time as I'm in no rush, but there isn't a better stick coming out on the horizon right? This is THE BEST one out there.

With the Warthog, better is relative. You could beat someone to death with it while launching sick rear end AGM-65k attack runs.

Fry's had it for 399 as of last week.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's module specific just as long as the Huey tab is selected for controls.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd much rather see DCS F-14 so someone do that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It would be even better if it were a straight up mid-80's era flight simulator. No shoe horning the Tomcat in modern day conflicts.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Gonna sim some beach volleyball with some other naked sweaty dudes.

It should be like Longbow 2 with the semi static menu of a base but in the corner there's a volleyball court party happening.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

sellouts posted:

Wow, really? Your post made it sound like there's this world of viable aircraft for xplane. That's clearly not the case.

Save x-plane for GA (as long as you like carenados offerings) and 727/CRJ, fsx for everything else. No 3d cockpit is a joke for any simulation of a complex aircraft. Even the lovely flythemaddog has an ugly as sin 3d cockpit.

You've never seen the 777 Worldliner for X-plane. It's loving fantastic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Obsidius posted:

I bought the DCS A-10 during the sale and I truly suck. Been through the guides, manuals YouTube and insane tutorials and I still am poo poo at the most basic of tasks. I'll admit I'm not the most patient like I used to be but is there any DCS aircraft that would be considered noob / idiot friendly? I'm doubtful but hopeful.

Waiting on my delivery of X-Plane 10 and can't wait, looks great and FSX for me is a bugged piece of poo poo, just wish the PMDG 777 would be available for X-Plane.

The 777 Worldliner add-on is fantastic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sappo569 posted:

I thought anonymous only went after high profile jackasses, and that sort of thing.

What did the extreme nerds of vatsim ever do to deserve their ire?

Someone got put into a holding pattern penalty box probably.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I'm wanting to get one of those little MFD-type screens to use as an ADI for X-Plane 10. What all do I need: the button overlay and the screen itself? If it's a cheaper/easier route, I'm considering buying an android tablet for use. All I really want on it is the primary flight display.

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 13, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sappo569 posted:

I just bought two of these off Ebay

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-s

About $60-70 a peice (one touch screen, one non touchscreen)

The only thing you'd need is a little bit of double sided tape to make sure the display doesn't move around when you touch the screen

Otherwise it works great!

Nice.

Is there a guide or could you tell me how to get the ADI to a second monitor? I'm thinking of just using a tablet with airplay enabled.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dude the campaign and mission generator are all you need if flying online isn't your bag.

Just go blow poo poo up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Goetta posted:

X-Plane uses VATSim too, although (for now) you can only use the 32-bit client to connect.

Whoa no poo poo? Will FSX users see my 777 and get irritated while I beat up the pattern in a heavy?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How do they work the pattern? Like do I need to be familiar if its a left or right handed flow or am I given fly out instructions and vectors?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Ferret King posted:

Pattern work at an airport with a control tower is a mixture of autonomous action by the pilots (who know how to fly a traffic pattern) mixed with traffic information and sequencing instructions by the tower controller. Check out Kilo's video earlier in the thread of our session and you can hear/see sort of what goes on. The tower will tell you which direction to fly the pattern (left or right hand pattern) along with instructions to extend certain legs of the pattern, report certain aircraft in sight, follow them, make other maneuvers to affect proper spacing etc.

http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/c/2775868

See also this virtual ATC group's less and instructional video on VFR pattern work: http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/object/v1Rating.html

That's awesome. I'll probably pop in sometime this week with XP10 and the x737. Hey what about time and weather? is that all controlled via vatsim as well?

bloops fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 20, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I have zero envy for that guy. The more passionate idiots on avsim.com must be aggravating as poo poo to deal with. When I came across some dork who matched up a youtube vid of a 737 NG pushing up throttles to the FSX 737 spooling and complained about inaccuracy was when I swore off those boards.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Highblood posted:

Alright so I really want to get into this whole flight sim thing but I'm seriously struggling with choosing my controllers. I'm half tempted to just go nuts and buy a warthog but I know that's a terrible idea if I ever decide to stop I'll have wasted a shitton of money. The few I've seen recommended all seem to have something that's either really annoying or just might break for no good reason.

I want to buy some rudder pedals too... and a TrackIR 5 :supaburn:goddamnit guys this poo poo is expensive:supaburn:. Not counting the TrackIR 5, could I get something decent for 200$ (CAD) give or take?

e: I want a hotas, not just a joystick

I have a Saitek X-65 hotas sitting around. Build quality is awesome and I'll sell it for less than 200.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
They shouldve just released it as, "Haha go gently caress yourselves, avsim spergs!"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yyyeeeaaa gonna wait a few days before mulling this purchase over

90 bucks for this sperg rear end add-on is reasonable. They're a small company programming basically a 1:1 replica on a lovely rear end foundation. It's not easy poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Diet Crack posted:

It's great that you wait patiently for weeks on end, then the store goes down due to overloading while all the AVSIM loving unpleasant spergfaces are flying around in their new 777's. This was an issue with the NGX and it took days.

I remember that. It took me 2 days to download that plane. Good thing normal goons have Rome II to occupy themselves while Avsim erupts into spergasms.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

I'd love to see that happen with a well established company. I really wish there was a good replacement for FSX. X-plane is good, but it's just not the same to me at least.

The payware add-ons are there. While I have the XP10 777, it's not on the level of a PMDG product. It's good; not great.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

That's really the only reason I prefer FSX over X-Plane, because of third party support. Maybe more companies will switch over to X-Plane but I really doubt it :sigh:.

Same. It's gonna take PMDG to bring over everyone.

edit: haha I am so weak. Bought the 777.

edit 2: oh my god i love boeing jets

bloops fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 4, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I ended up buying it last night, too. I didn't do much (and it crashed my sim but I hadn't restated in a while), but so far it's as awesome as expected.

And I like the Ops Center.

Captains,

Ops Center is pretty baller. Last night I promised myself that that would be the last time I ever devoted a good chunk of my life installing and doing all the optimization for FSX. Hahah I loving lied! A REX Essentials install killed FSX so it forced my hand to re-do everything. It works now.

I shall attempt a bunch of stupid airplane tricks with the 777 tonight because I am a man child.

edit: why do all these avsim guys type in this odd syntax broke English? Like not even the foreign guys either. Secondly, I love thread titles like "THE BIG SURPRISE" or "WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT CAPTAINS SO EXCITE!!!"

bloops fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bedshaped posted:

Are there any good freeware commercial jets for FSX that are fully simulated, including flight computer?

I tried an Airbus A318 from PA but there doesn't seem to be a virtual cockpit.

I am not aware of any. With that being said, the Aerosoft Airbus X could be what you want albeit it costs 40-50 bucks. A good payware jet is a really good investment IMO.

I've spent some time with the PMDG 777. Looks incredible model-wise, the VC is obviously top notch, it flies really nicely, and if any of you have experience dorking around with the PMDG 737 NGx then this jet is pretty much 1:1 minus a few quirks. You'll be taking off and landing in no time.

It being 90 bucks is a different story. The value in it is, well, it's the best 777 payware that'll ever be done, one of the best on FSX (I am really enamored with the 737 NGX myself), and runs exceedingly well (better than the NGX it seems).

I guess it comes down to if flying long haul stuff is your bag or if you do or don't have the NGX already. I'm a loving nerd for Boeing stuff so this was a pretty much must buy for me and all I do is beat up the pattern with the occasional flight.