Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does X-Plane 10 still require the USS Enterprise's computer to run? I enjoyed 9 but when trying out 10 last it STILL ran sub 1fps. This was about a year ago now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Occulus Rift doesn't have 6DoF. Now if there was a way to somehow bastardize TrackIR and the Occulus Rift, then you've got my interest.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

Trust me, you don't want OR for flight sims as of yet. It's so pixellated and the display isn't as groundbreaking as people tend to think.

I thought it was common knowledge the current kits are dev kits and of nearly terrible quality, with better kits theoretically planned for the future. Apparently that's not the case.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

jb7 posted:

So I guess now would be a good time to ask what everyone thinks about LockOn Flaming Cliffs 3 and DCS: Huey.

For the Huey, Dslyecxi has an hour or hour and a half long video on his YouTube where he just has a running commentary about it. It's fairly stream of consciousness but it'll probably give you a decent feel and opinion from someone you can trust on the matter.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would seriously suggest saving what you'd put into CA for LOMAC. CA is really, REALLY just a gimmicky little thing that you'll regret buying when you find it has barely any depth to it. It's fun for a short period of time and it's a nice way to sit in on a real multiplayer game without just observing if you don't feel like flying, but it really isn't worth more than about $5.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Their website says it is not.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well the upcoming DCS sale has finally convinced me I should get an X52, so I'm probably grabbing one off Amazon before the month is out. Getting Black Shark 2 and UH-1 is also more than likely going to make getting pedals a must as well. What's a "cheap and good" set I can get? Cheap to me is ~$100, no more than $200, although if there's no way I can get quality below $200 I'll just save up and get some later I guess. Regardless, can I get some pedal recommendations?

Also, despite the talk of the X52's breaking with disturbing regularity, it still seems like it's the most reasonable bang-for-buck HOTAS. Anyone care to champion something else for approximately the same price point?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I currently own and have been using an X3D. It doesn't center or calibrate properly and requires about a 10% deadzone. To calibrate I have to go through the process, and unplug-replug five or six times, recalibrating each time. This is because only on one magical go in five it lets me pull back all the way, whereas normally it stops with roughly 10-20% left, never actually reaching the bottom of the box. When it does calibrate properly it lasts fifteen minutes. Then there's the twist. It always calibrates right. But then I get in-game and it's centered about 5% in either direction so I constantly have to twist to correct. No, it's not wind sheer.

Not that ANY of this is relevant other than this is why I really need an X52 after this sale hits. Trying to fly A-10 is hilariously nigh impossible, even with all the "gently caress you I'm landing with one wing and one engine and no gear try and loving stop me," the plane gives you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm mechanically disinclined and toast is about as far as I'm willing to mod something.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Any of you using pedals by chance and can weigh in on them?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress. I was going to stay bountiful for one day more. I guess I can't take it with me anyway...

Going to reiterate my "What pedals should I get?" question. Amazon has brought up only Saiteks for about 100 and while they have decent reviews, I trust you guys more than tiny golden stars.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I saw the metallic ones but the price jump seems a little much if the normal plastic pedals work as well. I figured pedals are pedals but having never owned any I was open to "I've never heard such a stupid loving.thing in my life." I guess I'll just compare pictures until I find one I like the look of. I don't plan on treating them rough but who ever does? I also hear that flight pedals don't work well for racing games so there's no brake-slamming to be had.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does anyone know how Amazon does replacement stuff? It's cheaper to buy an X52 on Amazon right now by $6 + whatever I spend on Newegg's replacement plan, but I don't know if I'm loving myself over if it breaks in a couple months. Is there a way to buy a replacement plan on it or just a general plan on an Amazon product? It says it's sold by and shipped by Amazon, not a fulfillment order, so I was hoping I could get some sort of coverage on it just in case, especially considering the few horror stories this thread has shared.

Otherwise it's $6 more on Newegg for the base price, then $15, 20, 30 for the extended year warranties.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Once more before I pull the trigger (which I'm about to do tonight/tomorrow), anyone have experience or knowledge about Amazon's lemon policy in case my x52 arrives a broken piece of poo poo? I can't imagine it's unfair or I'm any way bad but I want to make sure if it breaks a month in I'm not stuck with a hundred dollar paperweight and a receipt I'd have a better experience wadding up and jamming up my rear end.

e: I was holding off on FC3 but someone somewhere said that owners of FC3 will get the nicer upgrades free later on, pushing me right off the fence onto the buy button. Still a quality product (and the only source for Russian planes right now) but if this is true, hot drat.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 23, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah. And it's "cheap." There have just been a few horror stories in this thread recently and the fact that Saitek is now owned by Mad Catz only fuels the paranoia. But I don't really have many options for the price, especially with the percentage of good reviews. I'm probably going to order it in a few minutes and pray I have the self control to not overnight it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
:geno: $209 dropped in a single mouse click. :geno:

At least I got free shipping. :v:

:cry:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I can't figure this out:

I keep refreshing my tracking page for the X52 and pedals I ordered and they're not getting here faster. DAMNIT! I own more DCS than ever before and I'm powerless to be bad at it!

e: Can I uninstall my original LOMAC install after I put on FC3?

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 25, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also, it appears that pedals are nigh mandatory for the huey so do you have those?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a way to download the DCS World patches manually? It's downloading at 10kb/s and that's loving insane. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS PLAY WITH MY NEW TOYS TONIGHT!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I haven't flown a fighter in a long time, focusing mainly on the A-10C and now the Huey, so this evening I took the F-15C out for a spin to see how it handled and how fast I could go. Turns out I broke the sound barrier. Sadly I didn't know where any other instruments in the cockpit were except the altimeter and compass, so when I tried an impromptu landing I didn't have the exact speed or angle of attack. I'm not sure how fast I was actually going, but I do know that the wreckage cleared the runway.

[/efficiency]

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Rise of Flight's sale ends TOMORROW and I want to pick it up for $10. Sadly, their download is a complete hosed up mess. You can try to download all 4.6GB from their site, which seems to be slow no matter what mirror you pick, or you can click the torrent link. Doing that, however, gets you an error page. There's an alternative torrent link hidden on their site, but THAT one's corrupt and downloads too much / too little and makes the .zip file impossible to open.

I don't remember having this much trouble downloading this loving game last time, what the gently caress happened? I've been trying to download it for three days, either getting errors when it completes or having their download die on me. I just wanted to get my long sought after WWI flight action on the cheap! :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Turns out: They somehow made it so that ONLY WINRAR is capable of opening up their loving Zip file. Not WinZip, not 7-Zip, JUST WinRAR. How loving incompetent and stupid. Anyway, going to be playing as soon as this install finishes. We're on 15 minutes and counting. This is really not leaving a good impression, which is unfortunate because I've played the game previously and know it's actually high quality.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
DCS World is a free base game and comes with a low fidelity SU-25T Frogfoot to try out. You should totally make sure you have pedals before you huey.

I believe the other types of missions are doable but as to whether or not they're pre-made and in the beta already I can't tell you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
He's keeping with the times. RoF lets you fire a 1911 out of the cockpit, so the advances of the F-16 could have only lead to this.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Entertaining to read drama or just more gamers.txt drama?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
For multiplayer, yeah. For porting your keys from one install type to the other, no.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wait, why "in that case?" I thought people just said the campaigns were pretty alright. Were you looking forward to a more story/structured campaign or something?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone know a better solution for making games like Sleeping Dogs or UE3 games not think you have a stick permanently in one direction without unplugging the stick? If it's in the menus/camera/character will just constantly go in one direction. Disabling controller input only helps if I don't want to play with my 360 pad, which I do half the time. The Saitek taskbar icon doesn't have a disable/off button and it seems devices/controllers doesn't either. :(

Unplugging/replugging is a hassle but so far it's the ONLY way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So DCS is doing a Kickstarter to make WWII.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944

I might have to pledge $75...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well poo poo. I was not aware those were the dudes from CoD. Maybe with it being slightly helped by ED and running on the DCS engine it'll be less aborty. Maybe. Man, I really wanted this to be great. :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bill Posters posted:

I really want this to be made and I'm almost tempted to pledge some dough despite the team behind it.

On the other hand...

:ughh:

I actually had only read the game bullet points when posting and afterwards read the team bios and heard who was responsible for what. They also seem to have switcharooed some of the tier rewards I would have wanted at that level so now I'm real hesitant to back at all. :(

All I want is something acknowledging how badly CoD was hosed up and an outline entitled "How We Are Not Going to gently caress Up This Time."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

FML I bought DCS FC3 and A10C during the 30% off DCS sale back in July. I still don't have a computer fast enough to run them yet though. Could I use that purchase to activate the Steam versions? And I heard that FC3 owners are going to get the DCS upgraded versions of the A10A, Su-25, Su-27, F-15C, and Mig 29 for free, is that still correct?

Yes, FC3 get all the upgrades free. However, your FC3 will not port to Steam.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can only view the CD Key if you are downloading it or have it downloaded. It's a weird quirk of Steam.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Weren't the titles cheaper on Steam? Seems like a, "You missed the sale? Sorry, let's do it again! winkingface"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

As someone who frame limits FSX to 20fps, 40-50 sounds pretty drat good.

Why would you limit FSX to 20FPS? Physics ticks or something?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah but 20 seemed low anyway. 30 is a general "minimum" for smooth framerate it seems. Then again I do almost exclusively DCS and other combat flight sims, no commercial/civilian flight sims, so that's probably a defining difference there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
High enough to warrant waiting 'til the third. There's no reason not to, especially if you buy it the day before it goes on a daily.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Possibly just make the continents DLCs that don't auto-download each install, though I don't believe Steam has optional DLC functionality. A Workshop-esque subscribe/unsubscribe feature more likely. In fact, thinking about it, just make it Steamworks and introduce the ability to make paid add-ons for very specific games.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 16, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

SkopeDog posted:

It does; at least Skyrim does with its high res texture pack.

Does it? I thought once you added that to your game it was permanently "purchased."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only time I had something similar was on my old system which was 32-bit W7, a GeForce 7600GT, and 2Gb of RAM, and it was the RAM causing the issue, simply due to a lack of it.

But it would stutter fairly regularly, ESPECIALLY even turning my head, as if it had to reload terrain every time my view changed.