Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Is there any reason you're still recommending FSX over Prepar3D? FSX running like literal poo poo is why I stopped flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey NERDS, I'm selling my X52 and TrackIR 4 in case someone here is thinking of getting into DCS or the like. If you're interested hit me up at username at gmail.com.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

I think I'm gonna go looking for a plane that has a full FMC. Problem is that while I wouldn't mind something fast, I don't want something that can only go from big airport to big airport. I want something that can handle shorter fields. STOL capability would be ace. I really like the Twin Otter I bought and I can see myself flying that a lot but it'd be great to have something like the Twotter that I can cover some decent distance in.

What I really want is an Antonov AN-74 but something similar would be awesome.

Bonus points if someone can find me that one wacky jet amphibious plane with a full FMC.

EDIT: It needs to be P3D 2.5 compatible. I'm not dealing with FSX-SE's bullshit.

Project Tupolev Tu-154B2 :kheldragar:

It's free and fully modelled apparently. In seriousness though, you want the BAe 146.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 11, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Truga posted:

Project Tu-154B2 is easily the best airliner available for FSX.

Since it turns out I lost my key for the FS Labs Concorde years ago (:smithicide:) and I have a knack for Russians, I've been contemplating learning their Tu-144D.

Contemplating in the same way one contemplates suicide, mind, but still. I like going fast.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?86929-Flying-Supersonic-Tu-144-Charger-v3-5&highlight=tu-144d

This thread's got a lot of important info, such as the stations you need to delete/set to 0.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey, anyone got a good weather engine for P3D? Preferably free, I don't want anything fancy. I just want to be able to pull real world weather into the sim so when I get back into VATSIM I'll have the same weather everyone else will have.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Vivick posted:

They are numbered starting from the inner pylons. If you are confused about the rotary selctor switch on the top left panel, it has three sections for different weapon types. The left section is for bombs and rockets, the top one is for GROMs (big missles that are meant to be used against stationary ground targets and ships), and the right/bottom section is for all your different AA missles. The numbering always stays the same.

The top section is for S-24s too iirc.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You need to install FSUIPC or SimConnect, one of the two. I had the same issue.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The A2A 377 is extremely cool and good.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

paging EvilJoven: http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Are the CS Tristar and Just Flight DC-8 any good? They're both 30 bucks-ish and I like older airliners.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Use Simbrief instead, it's free and handles everything from payload to fuel planning.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

How many people here would be up for doing a group flight on vatsim sometime this week? I was thinking a short hop from Amsterdam to London City, 30 minutes flying time and we'd get to do the steep approach.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

30 mins at what speed?

300 kts, and London City bans the Twotter anyway :sun:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

http://www.londoncityairport.com/content/pdf/Types%20of%20Aircraft_and_Concessions.pdf

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Specifically, wait for the germans to get online

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Or it will shrink away and die off. One or the other.

Nah, flying planes is an easy thing to simulate and the appeal is obvious. We'll probably see a resurgence of casual sims at some point.

Also do not underestimate the German gamer's insatiable desire for all things with "Simulator" on the cover.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What are my options for long ranged airliners in P3D? I gave the iFly 744 a go but the click spots drive me mental and it leaks memory like a sieve. Is it pretty much just the PMDG 777 at the moment?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I tried the MD-11 and ran into the elevators straight up not working so welp.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

No no, Mad Men would be the 707.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I suggested this in the IRC earlier, but who's up for a VATSIM group flight? I was thinking something like Denver to Salt Lake or Las Vegas, just to get some of the rustier and newer guys here up to speed.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Carenado has a bunch of bizjets; they'd keep up with tubeliners and I think the Hawker H850 has a Navigraph compatible FMC. If you'd like something smaller, the Embraer Phenom would keep up I think and has a big rear end Garmin glass cockpit just like a lot of GA planes.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Okay so after some very lazy deliberation we're going to fly KDEN - KSLC. Total air time is about an hour, so it''ll be a nice little warmup for people looking to learn VATSIM. Bring something that can keep up with jets. I'll probably bring something stupid like an MD-11 or a Tristar.

Route will be SID RLG EKR STAR. All VORs, pick your departures and arrivals as appropriate for what your plane can fly. What times are people available? I can do whenever.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sellouts posted:

I feel like atc is rarely on for this route, but I haven't flown for a while.

Right now, Salt Lake Center, Approach and Tower are on. I don't know if this is representative, but another option for a VATSIM newb night could be the Boston Tea Party event next Saturday.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SibWings AN-2, if you're comfortable with metric instrumentation, no major navigation aids outside of an ADF, and outright comical STOL performance.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

And they want me to pay for this when I already have 2.5?

Supposedly it also improved memory management to the point where it was extremely difficult for the testers to get it to OOM. We will see though.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Unless you want to fly something that doesn't work in it. But yeah if you have the option look at getting Prepar3D 3.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Funny story, someone went into the licensing terms and it turns out LM literally doesn't care what you do with it, the Academic license is actually meant for people currently in school or college. It's like the academic version of Office, basically. So being in college means I give no fucks :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It is possible to really fancy up FSX/P3D if you have the cash or keep an eye out for sales.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Seconding Strike Fighters 2, especially if you can get the expansions and trawl Combat Ace for mods. I always liked flying Mig-23s in the CWGH campaign.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I kinda want to get XP10 for the Rotate MD-80.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What about the FlightFactor jets?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

I need to stop spending money on flight sim stuff. Help.

What did you get now? :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

wonkotron you are really salty about people not liking bms for some reason

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Matt Davies is also good, especially if you want to feel better about flying on VATSIM.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

EDIT2: gently caress it yolo I bought the Cherokee and Comanche and after doing one flight with the Cherokee I declare it the greatest poo poo ever.

i told you bro

i told you about the cherokee

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

"Soon"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hogmartin posted:

It is, but it's really twitchy if you don't know how to drive it. I started it up and tried to use the propellers in reverse instead of pushback and WELP NOW WE'RE ON FIRE. It also doesn't seem to descend for poo poo, so if you're a terrible pilot like me go ahead and start your descent from about two hundred fifty miles out.

The FMC will tell you when to descend and how fast you gotta go to make it happen.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Gotta remember to use your throttle to descend instead of pushing the nose over.

That's a good technique for most aircraft, really. Pitch is for airspeed. Power is for altitude. Let the arguments begin.

Unless, of course, you are in an Airbus; in that case, just point the nose at where you want to go and the aircraft figures that poo poo out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Until a pitot ices and you kill hundreds of people.

Hey now, that time I left the pitot cap attached on my Cherokee I greased that landing. :colbert: