Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Has anyone heard anymore progress on the Rex SimAir release?

Their last few 'updates' don't appear to give too much, other than "We're still aive, and releasing soon"

I thought they were aiming for a early summer release myself, and I think it could revitalize the interest that might have tapered off in Vatsim etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The touch-pad control software is a great idea, I just wish they would develop it for more than just the Ipad

I asked the developer of that particular software to consider releasing it for Blackberry (Playbook) and he said there was not enough interest :(

The more you fly the better you get at managing the MFC's and CDU, but it would be SO much easier to physically enter information.

Half the entries I input into the CDU end up being backspaced, because its very hard to keep my trackir looking down there, while entering information

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

You're making use of the Pause function in TrackIR right? That helps a lot when trying to center on certain areas of the cockpit to click stuff.

No, I never liked using things like pause, as much as it helps to stay 'focused' on one area, I like to keep things fluid

Although on those bright summer days when the blinds dont do anything, I probably should get used to using it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SocketSeven posted:

If you like flying fighter jets, you probably won't like the Huey much. The Huey is basically a sky pimp mobile. Much slower paced. Hell, the first campaign mission is just flying from one airport to another via visual references and following your copilots instructions. The second is a supply run, which teaches you that landing in a ravine is hard, and wind direction matters, a lot. The third mission you are ferrying around some reporters and have to stay close to some attack choppers. Basic formation flying stuff. Then you start getting into more combat situations, airlifting troops and I'm assuming I'll eventually get to use those rockets and miniguns you can strap on the Huey.

If you're a weirdo like me who enjoys just flying around more then yanking and banking, you'll love the Huey. It is a challenging and rewarding aircraft to master.

I think everyone bought the Huey in hopes of reliving their favorite scenes from Apocalyse Now etc.

Someone needs to mod a giant set of speakers to mount in-place of the rockets.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wireless Mouse posted:

Judging by this post, you've already got a perfectly serviceable keyboard!

Try this:

I use my keyboard for all data entry and it's a snap like this. It makes working with a JTAC a lot nicer, and it's fun to spam other A-10Cs with flirtatious instant messages.

That looks mighty handy, I'll have to take a look this evening

Thanks

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

The biggest drawback I had with X-Plane was that outside the high-res areas, the terrain/scenery/texture mapping was woeful. You could fly into a city of 500K people and there is literally nothing to make it look like a city. It dissuaded me so much I actually sold my X10 set.

I am probably going to buy a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS set and start playing around. I need a new PC seat too so I'm playing with the idea of something like a playseat or something like that. Has anyone tried one of those or should a person just adapt a standard office chair with a platform on the left/right for the HOTAS?

That's what I have read in the Xplane vs FSX debate the most

The world is simply sparse, and not very alive in Xplane

They have all these cool videos showing traffic moving, with actual little tiny police cars which cars move out of the way for..... But it all means absolute garbage because once you leave a certain defined area there is no infrastructure.

At least FSX has everything there, even if it is low rez and not always accurate to real life

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone have some insight into Cockpit Sharing for FSX, on VATSIM?

I read a number of threads from various places, but the problem is the information all seems to be from 2007 or earlier.

Me and my flying buddy tried it, but had problems with gauges not syncing, and then for some reason the plane decided to just hover in the water after takeoff.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Might have to check out this IRC channel.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Here's a good one for you Goon Pilots.

Is it bad form to let AP do most of the flying ?

Basically I pre-set my AP before take off, achieve a have positive rate of climb etc, and unless I am doing a complicated SID/STAR I just click AP and sit back.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

Airliners, no, not bad form (but perhaps a bit boring), you should be engaging at ~1000' AGL tho, many APs won't engage below 400 or 700 feet above ground. And disengage when you get to your minimums.

It's more fun to hand fly though (even airliners).

Indeed, I think the problem was I jumped straight from tooling around in the stock Cessna a few times , right up to the Carenado B58, and B200 King Air.

They fly quite nicely, and the AP does most of the work, I find my lack of practice means I suck at hand flying.

And I love the BaE J4100 but I am afraid it will just worsen my problem.

Should I go back to a single prop for a bit and just practice the basics?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Suck at hand flying? Get the turbo DC3 on the first page. I find it's fun to hand fly but big enough to be a handful if you're not careful.

I might have that one... I had a load of payware but find myself only using a few from Carenado and PDMG (PMDG?)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So lets see what might be causing this one.

I picked up the Carenado King Air , it is a lovely highly detailed plane, but I have a few problems

Namely a flight this evening before work, from Halifax to Fredericton

I set AP as normal using FD and GPS heading, talking back and forth with ATC he wanted to me to turn a specific heading after takeoff, ok no problem.

I set the AP to Heading of 320 , problem being the artifical horizon was showing the plane constantly banking to the right, almost like it had rudder kicked in and was slewing on that heading.

I asked ATC to confirm and he said I was showing a heading of 330

What would be causing the plane to do that, and further more why were my indicators not reporting the correct heading?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tsuru posted:

You probably answered your own question. Most turboprops need the rudder to be trimmed correctly to fly "right" due to the P-factor, the Kingair is no exception. A steady state error of 10 degrees seems excessive from my hazy memory of the Kingair (is it a 200 we are talking about?), but look in the manual how many units of trim to set which way for each flight phase.

You can also try incrementally trimming away from the direction of the bank (with A/P on) to reach a point where the aircraft is level, on the correct heading and with ailerons neutral.

The "problem" is that the autopilot HDG mode will only put in a limited amount of aileron and assumes that the rudder is trimmed correctly. If it is not, you get a state where the aircraft maintains a constantly offset heading with bank on and ailerons away from the bank.

Guess it helps if I read the manual huh...

I'll take a look at that and I bet it fixes it :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Check if wheel brake is bound to an axis.

Nose Wheel Steering has to be turned on as well I believe, for the wheel brakes to engage.

Same as when you're starting a taxi, if NWS is off you can't turn the nose wheel or use its brakes

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Let us speak about hardware for a brief moment.

So currently I am running dual monitor, 27" is my main, with a 22" widescreen flipped vertical, where I put all my vatsim stuff, plus drop other gauages like GPS etc.

Controllers I am running the X52 (nonpro), saitek combat pedals, trackir.

I really enjoy the DCS A10, but lately have been putting tonnes of hours into FSX with my buddy, flying 1-2 hour long hops.

What would be the recommended next step in progression for my hardware?

I had a few things I was mulling over;

1. Small touchscreen monitor, to use for input on FMS, GPS, or bringing up airport charts etc.

2. One of those saitek multi panels, either the basic switch version or the AP version

3. Profit?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

An iPad is great for charts as they've got a lot of apps that'll do it. If you want to shell out real money Foreflight can use FSX as a GPS source and has real time weather, flight tracking, etc. But no cheap...

Touchscreen for FMS is cool but aircraft dependent. Not sure how its going to work with newer PMDG aircraft if you plan on getting the 777. I guess maybe you can pop it out and drag the panel down to the touch monitor?

I have thought about it, but I can't justify shelling out for an Ipad, as I would only use it for that stuff

Already have a BB Playbook, which appears to only do output from the device not input, which is a real shame.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mr. Mallory posted:

So I've been thinking about getting in to FSX, are the planes in there as realistic/detailed as something like DCS A10?

The stock planes, no... not nearly as much.

You have to get into payware aircraft to get really high fidelity cockpits.

^^^^ beaten

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Goetta posted:

My TV apparently has a UStream app so my entire family is watching some poor guy eat poo poo over and over in that link above

That's the best thing ever.

Every family should have to watch people get totally railed in online plane shooters

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The Vatsim forums got hacked by "anonymous".

I thought anonymous only went after high profile jackasses, and that sort of thing.

What did the extreme nerds of vatsim ever do to deserve their ire?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

Orbx Globe looks like it'll be really loving sweet.

It really does, finally glad to see a FULL scenery product, in the infamous words of The Boondock Saints "This mix and match poo poo has to go"

Although I don't see much Canada shown in the previews, seems to be all Europe and US.

I have yet to see really well done Ontario scenery for example, CYYZ and CYTZ would be excellent !

Also I heard rumours it was supposed to be released around the 15th of this month, although they did state it may be delayed slightly

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 18, 2013

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Good question for ya'll ;

I REALLY want to buy that Flight1 Super King Air B200

However I downloaded the file, tried every manner of payment options, CC and paypal, but it always gives me a 'declined' right after verifying the transaction or whatever.

Opened a support ticket but I get the feeling they'll just say "Buy the boxed version" as I saw when googling the issue.

Why have such restrictive and complicated :filez: defense, when the drat thing won't even let you give them your money

I am almost to the point I would be willing to paypal one of you fine goons the price, if you can send me a legally 'transferred key' or whatever they want to call it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Keeku posted:

This is a bit of a long shot, but hopefully one of you guys might be able to recognize a problem I'm having with some scenery.

I decided to expand my FSX beyond Australia, and have purchased some scenery for England. This includes Orbx England and a couple UK2000 airports. After reading a post on the aerosoft forums (http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/63904-full-integration-of-orbx-eng-and-aerosoft-london-vfr-x/) I decided to purchase VFR London X too (the post has instructions on how to integrate Orbx England with VFR London X.)

I have followed the instructions provided, as far as I can tell, perfectly. However once I load up FSX, London is surrounded by water. At this stage Orbx scenery should be filling exactly where the water is right up to the edges of what is currently appearing for London. Here is a screenshot to demonstrate:

Anyone have any ideas why Orbx doesn't want to come any closer? I know it really is a long shot but I thought I'd try my luck with you guys first before I dig up a four month old thread and hope for an answer which may never come.

I'm going to suggest you take a look at the scenery loading order, unless you've already done so.

I know all the payware scenery must be at the top of the list, or else it will try to load the FSX default scenery ontop of it.

Again you've probably already done this, but doesn't hurt to ask

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Super jealous of that Warthog.

Although if I stopped spending small amounts here and there, I could have easily gotten one ages ago, on that note.

I just purchased two of these.

One for me and one for my buddy, unless he doesn't want it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bondematt posted:

hurumpf, now my X-52 with the squeaky twist doesn't pick up full right twist anymore. About 3/4 turn is full in the calibrator and full bounces between 0-100%.

Guess I got to get some pedals now :spergin:

What's a decent set for tile floor, or do they all stay pretty well?

Edit: Random googling says the sensor may need cleaning. Whelp, I wanted to open this up anyway to get rid of that drat squeak.

I bought the saitek combat pedals, they have a strip of sticky material on the bottom, so you can plant them down.

problem being if you are moving them alot the sticky bit will stop doing so after awhile.

I suppose if you were really engineering you could affix some velcro to the floor, and just do it that way

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

XtraSmiley posted:

Hmm, crap, I didn't think they sold the stick separate, but clearly this would be a way to rip people off... and a reason not to post a picture too.

Well, I'll post the results when I get the item in!

EDIT: Actually it does look like they sell the stick separate, so I just didn't read in enough detail. I'm canceling my order. Thanks for the heads up.

I noticed the wording of the item description is just sneaky enough to SOUND Like the full thing, but it never actually includes words like 'throttle' or whatever, just says "joystick" and "HOTAS"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh there is an "upgrade" to FSX, it's called prepar3d and dropped all pretenses of being for entertainment.

My flightsim buddy just asked about that the other night... I was under the impression Prepar3d was FSX with a new interface, a bunch of tweaks added (the kind we already do to FSX to make it run well) and reboxed

Basically just FSX with a new coat of paint

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can't even imagine what we would have right now, if they had released "Flight" as FSX 2013.

Not the watered down, gamepad, DLC, POS we got instead.

Mind you one could argue that is Xplane 10, but after trying Xplane out on the trial basis it didn't really strike me as that much of a leap above FSX

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

Me too then I flew night vfr. Flying at night is awesome.

I heard VFR isn't all that great in Xplane though?

Something about it using generic landclass and structures, and doesn't even attempt to model it after the actual place

IE: If I was flying VFR over Toronto it wouldn't have the same roads etc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

So I figured I'd like to give DCS A10 a whirl with my new setup. Fire up DCS, prompted for an update.

1311MB @ 120K/Sec

:negative:

Their new method of applying patches is MUCH better than previous (Read: none)

But they really need to have it seek out torrent sources etc for more bandwith

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Daimo posted:

Wow I think mine cost about that, including the chair and paint.

I cheated and borrowed a circular saw from a friend though.

Don't suppose you have some plans or specs for that ?

My buddy is interested in doing something similar

edit:

on that note, is anyone using software to mock up the design first?

I would like to print out a nice template to help when drilling holes etc

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2013

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

My X52 pro just came in today! :woop: Now to test it out by loading up Freespace 2 and showing the Shivans the power of my big glowy stick. :gizz:

Are any of the newer Descent-styled shooters on steam (namely, Miner wars 2081 and Retrovirus) worth throwing $20 at?

Edit: Seems like the config inside of freespace isn't recognizing my throttle, when I go to bind Absolute throttle I rock the throttle back and forth and it's not registering even though I can see it moving in joystick configuration.

Isn't absolute like 100% or 0%? no inbetween

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mr. Mallory posted:

Is there any way to improve the framerate in FSX, I just got it and it runs horribly while I can get 60 fps in modern games. Kind of kills the immersion for me.

Also, I'm not sure if I installed the texture mods from the OP because everything still looks like crap.

Run this first.

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Then read all of this

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The reason I'm picking CH over the Warthog is that while DCS:A-10C is a great sim, I'm more of an air-to-air guy myself. Standing off and dropping guided bombs on the squishies from 25,000 ft out just seems kinda unsporting... What's the point in buying a replica A-10 controller when I'll be flying mostly FW-190s, and Su-27s. In terms of actual precision and controlability, I've heard the CH and Warthog are equally good. And even though the CH is plastic and uses pots, people have used them for years without breaking.

Unsporting... but launching missiles at other planes from 100nm isn't ? :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So I've plugged through the first 3 or 4 tutorials on the A-10 and it really doesn't seem so bad. Seems like it flies really smooth compared to IL-2. I just need to get a handle on operating the camera and laser on my HOTAS. Does anyone have a good mission that I can set an autopilot and focus solely on weapons drilling in order to get it down pat?

If you haven't gotten to it in the tutorials, do the actual weapons training.

Or just make your own in the editor, toss a bunch of fuel trucks somewhere and line them up!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plus Swimnurd hates their clickpoints.

Flight1 clickpoints are horrible.

I bought the new one (B200) and only flew it 3 times total so far... can't stand having to click 2 inches above what I'm actually aiming for

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I'm wanting to get one of those little MFD-type screens to use as an ADI for X-Plane 10. What all do I need: the button overlay and the screen itself? If it's a cheaper/easier route, I'm considering buying an android tablet for use. All I really want on it is the primary flight display.

I just bought two of these off Ebay

http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-s

About $60-70 a peice (one touch screen, one non touchscreen)

The only thing you'd need is a little bit of double sided tape to make sure the display doesn't move around when you touch the screen

Otherwise it works great!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

X-Plane I am not sure at all, I know in FSX you can just pop the guage out into a window and drag it down into that monitor.

The specific one I linked and have, the Mimo 720, plugs in and is detected as a monitor.

So it can be setup anywhere on your virtual desktop you like, and can move the mouse into it as such

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Daimo posted:

Can you take the stand off for mounting purposes?

I believe so, I haven't tried it ... but have seen the same units being sold with 4 hold backing plates for mounting to walls etc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I know on my stick the X52 (nonpro) the component software allows you to simply remove all 'bindings' from the button or control surface, and it then goes dead.

So for instance I unbound my hat switches, because I use TrackIR.

And then rebound them for other functions, all done from within the Saitek software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

For all the time, money etc these developers go through producing super high quality planes for an antiquated POS simulator.

You would think they'd have built a new flight sim by now

The market is obviously there, with the amount of sperglords dropping $90