Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Neat. I've been waiting for the 21 for a while now, nice to finally see some footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

The wing shape has little to do with "acceleration", and by all accounts the MiG-21 is a highly maneuverable airplane, especially for its time.

Mig-21 is awesome, because delta wing gives it the ability to fly at hilarious angles of attack because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_lift

The funny part in all this is that Russian pilots had no idea this is a feature, because they never tested for it. It doesn't show up in any of the flight manuals. Later it was found in flight tests by aggressor pilots that the plane stays perfectly stable at silly high aoa below 300km/h, and when you do get a stall, it only induces roll, so a spin is unlikely. I forgot why, but the engine also doesn't stall in these conditions, while it does in most other planes. It's tricky to fly like that, obviously, but it works and makes it turn really really quick. And of course, to fly level at these speeds, you need full afterburner :awesomelon:

I wonder if that's going to be modelled in this DCS plane though. It sounds like it's modelled by what it says in the manuals, but who knows.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Trijets, anyone flies project Tu-154 here? That thing is all kinds of fun. It's free, but really well done for a free plane.

Can get the latest version+patch here: http://www.protu-154.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12840

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

im pooping! posted:

It turns out that I guess it's a quirk of single-prop planes, they start to roll and nothing will stop it aside from cutting the engine. So if it is intentional, that's an awesome detail and reduces my frustration to almost zero.
I know this is from 3 pages ago, but I have this picture saved, and it's awesome, because it shows what's going on super clearly:

holocaust bloopers posted:

I had an X65 for about a year. Really cool concept, but an absolute nightmare to use. There's a reason why General Dynamics added a 1/4" of travel on the F-16 HOTAS.
I've had an X-65 for about a year now and I can tell you that you're wrong on it being a nightmare to use. After a couple hours of use, I completely stopped noticing the stick doesn't actually move, and less than a week later, I gave my X52pro away to a friend. It's simply more natural. It is by far the best stick I've ever had. Zero dead zone required and yet stupidly precise. The difference is just mind blowing.

That said, I use my wheel pedals for rudder. I imagine if I had to use a third axis on it, it would be a nightmare. If you want or need twist, do not go for this stick.

Now I just hope it doesn't break in the future, because I won't be able to go back to a normal one. Maybe I should stock up on replacements while I can still buy new ones for 200 euros where I live :v:

T1g4h posted:

But does it help you bullseye womp rats? :haw:
Yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The only freeware airliner that's anywhere near the quality of the PMDG/Aerosoft stuff I know of is the Tu-154. So unless you want to fly cold war russian airliners, you're out of luck on that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Yod posted:

Is there a good 'try this free stuff' guide for people who aren't sure they want to spend hundreds of dollars on dlc for their $6 game?

Watch a lot of youtube videos about it or simply :filez:

No really, if the $40 addon for your $6 game doesn't have a demo/trial, just download it from somewhere not the official site and then buy it if you like it. I have a couple things for FSX (probably not even $100 worth), but I think the only thing that allowed a 14 day trial was activesky (which is awesome, and I recommend if you like good dynamic weather). The add-on community is super dumb most of the time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

e.pilot posted:

FSX is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWw-wL63J4

Am I doing this right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That is happening on a completely calm day with 0 wind, I turned all weather off. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the F-18 interior is really well done, but the flight model feels like garbage. It behaves what I'd except from it at speed, but once you go below ~140kts it goes completely wonky. Strafing sideways by some 60 degrees at 110 should probably make the thing fall out of the sky, but for some reason it doesn't even stall.

All I'm really doing in the video is using rudder and the split throttle I have to induce stupid yaw and then using the ailerons to stay somewhat level. I didn't expect it to fly like that at all, but it started lifting so I didn't straighten it out, and it just took off like nothing happened... while flying sideways.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I was going to post that, but I was beaten so here's a neat vid instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsC4J3R8Bp0

Both crew died :smith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/20451-0-90-Ferram-Aerospace-Research-v0-14-6-12-27-14

Never not FAR.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't have many issues with the MiG-21 tutorials? Ground attack tutorials were annoying because you can't see poo poo on the ground and there's no radar/tv to find ground targets, but other than that they were pretty decent?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's no tutorials for the free mustang, but you can find the startup sequence on youtube, and for a ww2 plane you don't really need much else tbh.

Just remember to keep all the gauges in the green and it'll keep flying forever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wish everyone would just use airbus style autotrim :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
His entire channel is a pile of gold. I've been subscribed for a while now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Project Tu-154B2 is easily the best airliner available for FSX.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Forums Terrorist posted:

Since it turns out I lost my key for the FS Labs Concorde years ago (:smithicide:) and I have a knack for Russians, I've been contemplating learning their Tu-144D.

Contemplating in the same way one contemplates suicide, mind, but still. I like going fast.

http://www.avsim.su/f/fsx-originalnie-samoleti-79/tu-144d-v3-5-44272.html

I found this, looks legit. I'll try it out when I have time. Didn't know this existed, thanks for mentioning it!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RentACop posted:

Can Combat Flight Simulator 3 be purchased digitally from anywhere?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15320/

$2.49

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kilonum posted:

I streamed the landing, and it's a good thing I did an autolanding as my stick disappeared to FSX at some point on the flight.

And here I thought this just happened to me because I'm too dumb to set up fsx properly :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
GFWL was quietly taken out the back and shot a couple years ago. Deservedly. I don't think I ever had an issue free experience with that thing.

And while the upside to that is they can't make new games that use it, old games that didn't remove it are now hosed.

vvv: Oh, I didn't know about the client thing. That's a cool thing they did then.

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 29, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

This is extremely relevant. When I extended my warthog, my hovering got better immediately. The peripherals we have do not reproduce actual aircraft controls very well.

Same, except I bought the force sensing stick saitek used to have. Set max force to 50N and I get stupid amount of "travel", it's really great.

e: Just make sure when extending the stick to have some sort of hard limit to travel or you'll break it. Extra lever breaks a joystick really really quick. Don't ask me how I know (:rip: logitech wingman)

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 9, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey what holds the record for longest time between pre-order and shipping the pre-order bonus. either it's Star Citizen or.....

I dunno about preorder *bonus*, but I doubt anyone's going to top DNF on preorder-to-game any time soon. They set quite a high bar. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Should be Goon Am :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Megadyptes posted:

50% of people using their mouse to fly :nutshot:

I fly with mouse when bored@work. It works just fine for not dogfighting (and even that works just fine after a couple days of practice).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I... don't think FSX et al will ever work satisfactory with VR. I have a pretty ok rig and can't hit 60fps. Rift needs 90.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Just wanted to let you know that your posting on the Rift has caused me to pre-order. No pressure.

I mean, in vanilla FSX I'm sure you'll be able to hit 90 FPS just fine.

But some of these aerosoft/pmdg planes tank the FPS down into 30s way often. I don't know what they're doing, as the GPU isn't exactly being taxed here, but I'm guessing it's mostly simulation stuff on the CPU.

Not that I'd fly a tubeliner in VR without a simpit (and I'm not building one so)

vvv: Yeah, on low settings, but it doesn't matter much in VR, since the resolution isn't high enough for that ~high rez scenery~ to matter.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 22, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Holy shnikes, it obviously works best with VR goggles, but I am beyond excited about this thing for flight sims. Total, total interaction with those 3D DCS style cockpits. You can place it on the desktop and use it that way as well. The future is here. for $30 shipped. What a toy!

Peep the video. If this doesn't get your creative juices flowing about the future of flight sim VR, nothing will. :gizz::hf::circlefap:

My issue with this is the same issue I have with lovely modern buttony or touchscreen centre consoles in cars - there is no feedback so you have to look at it to see what you're doing. Obviously it's a very, very nice start and I'll probably get it (especially for the price), but I can get really frustrated with no tactile feedback.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

That said, if you order a VR headset now, it will arrive in about August, and when version 2 comes out, you should be able to recoup 70+% of your investment.

I ordered a vive ~2 weeks ago, it's arriving in may, site is now saying June for new orders. 2 months of wait isn't that bad imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

Hint: You need to bind all three trim axis to something convenient; You'll be trimming CONSTANTLY. Also, taking off at ~40 inches of manifold pressure will work on just about any runway in DCS, and makes for a less exciting takeoff run.

:v:

Yeah, I just take off in the top end of the green zone on the manifold pressure gauge. Makes it far easier.

e: poo poo new page. Have a dumb screenshot of a dumb thing I did:

Yes, that is M1.2 at 200km/h IAS :shrug:

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 28, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that guy just has an idea "ok, I need this system for the ship to have this functionality", and then makes a couple of buttons/knobs to turn it on/off or work the parameters.

Much like DCS modules, the only difference being DCS buttons also exist in real life. If you like fiddling around flight sim planes, there's a chance you'll like this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

I find that the more I fly sims, the more I want to fly IRL, but the more I fly IRL, the less urge to fly sims I have.

I used to be the same, but then I got VR, which while expensive, isn't nearly as expensive as actual flying, and close enough for me for now. Plus, I don't have to worry about getting arrested because I flew through some shitlord's back yard. That said I am very much looking forward to vestibular stimulation systems, because yes, there's still something missing from the experience right now.

Seriously, though, VR is the future of flight sim. Yes, right now resolution is a bit bad, and the things aren't the most comfortable thing you can have on your head for 8 hours straight, but holy poo poo it completely changes the game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Frogisis posted:

I've been daydreaming about mad-sciencey ways something like this might be done for a long time, and lo and behold. I really hope this hits the market in a usable way.
Samsung is already on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ_G_zbObWU
The video doesn't have any explanation on what's going on so:

quote:

Using a safe technique that sends electrical signals to the vestibular system in the ear, Entrim 4D synchronizes the body’s balance system with the changing movements in the VR videos. Users thus feel as if they are a part of the on-screen action, and can even sense direction and speed of movement

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've been playing a lot of war thunder since getting my VR (I know, not really that simmy, but it's the about the only thing that works well and all my friends can also play), and the mountain maps are glorious to fly around in VR. Elite is another good example. Some planets have really nice canyon/fissure systems. All these old "proper" flight sims really lack in the relief department.

Probably an engine limitation, I know that's the reason why proper cliffs were impossible in il-2 when people started to mod in their own maps. It only has fairly gentle transitions due to how height map is implemented. Probably a compromise to save on memory/cpu cycles, which weren't all that cheap way back when.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, without a real button panel, you're better off just binding everything you actually need after engine on to your hotas. I hope you like flying warbirds :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, if you're looking at it, it's actually really easy to hit things in VR (I guess in no small part thanks to stereo 3d), and at least with the vive, haptic feedback makes it feel almost natural. But if you're not actively looking at the button you're trying to hit, it's not going to happen without collateral damage, exact same issue as touch displays.

EvilJoven posted:

Incredibly basic warbirds.

Eh, a mustang needs throttle, prop pitch, supercharger stage, radiator, flaps, rudder, gear, and a joystick with 2-3 triggers once you're in the air. Even the most basic hotas around has enough buttons these days I think.

As soon as you move past world war 2 or something like a sabre/mig-15 level, it's over though. Definitely hoping we get some sort of force feedback for button panels in VR eventually.

EvilJoven posted:

Also lol using that for civilian sims. The knobs on a real aviation radio are tiny.

That's just the thing, the vive controllers track incredibly well. The entire issue is that haptic feedback alone isn't enough unless you're looking at something. Well, that and the stupid glove models in DCS often act terrible, but that's more a DCS issue. Beyond that, it's incredible how easy it is to hit the tiniest things with the controllers on the first try. You just reach out and grab it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is me, but in VR. Good display tech makes flying on your pc about 900% easier.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Right now, vive is the better buy hands down. I was "meh" on hand tracking and was all on board on rift, but with the shipping clusterfuck at release, I changed my order to vive, and honestly, hand tracking is really cool, even if I don't use it inside sims.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ledenko posted:

All flight sim stories are cool and everyone should :justpost:

I haven't simmed for a while, but I want to get back into my little C172 which I bought in FSE with Soapy's financial aid and flew it from UK to Slovenia. The journey took me through the alps and the vistas were pretty awesome:

The path took me through various valleys except for the very final leg of the journey where I had to climb to (I forget what altitude exactly but it was kinda crazy) feet and then drop straight away to make the runway. It was a huge mess but hey, I didn't crash somehow.

Goddamn that looks great.
I want to do a tour of Slovenia in VR, but FSX is poo poo for GA, especially when flying that low IMO, and x-plane doesn't support VR yet. And likely isn't going to for the foreseeable future, if ever. :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just use OBS, it's the better recording software out there, and it supports all sorts of fancy GPU accelerated encoding these days. You can even encode on your intel igpu while playing on your real gpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Buy PMDG 777-64, only $69 for 32 bit customers!