Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Nybble posted:

Waypoint review talking about similar performance hitches: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/889epg/microsoft-flight-simulator-impressions-performance

I’m a bit surprised that it’s popped up in a few places for review, given some of the YouTube footage so far. But it also might point to why it’s not available for console yet.

quote:

Flight Simulator is at its worst when you’re trying to get airborne. The game takes ages to load (and be prepared, the first time you launch it, to download a massive 100 GB update) and that’s before you get anywhere near a plane.

:rip: my internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

91.36GB downloading at 400kb/sec on my potato internet. Thank Christ there wasn't any way to start preloading this early.

:suicide:

See you all next week

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I sprang for a cheap secondhand Extreme 3D Pro - when it came today the buttons on the stick were visibly gunked and yellow :barf:

But after giving it a good working over with some alcohol wipes it cleaned up and holy crap is it so much easier and less fiddly to control the plane than using keyboard/mouse.

This is my first experience with flight sims and I can see myself upgrading from here down the road, but even just an actual stick is such a step up in enjoyability.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1296199802171133954

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

The screenshots are not as good as playing the game with HDR10 turned on. It's a night and day difference. The screenshots don't do the HDR settings justice.

Even with HDR turned on browsing the forums the screenshots still look kinda washed out, but I agree, the game does look amazing in HDR. Occasionally my monitor will start in SDR and flip over to HDR and you can absolutely see the difference.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cat Potency posted:

I love this thread and as usual SA is a great source of smart people discussing good things.

I have a quick question. Recently, I downloaded a Livery pack from [MSFSaddons.org](https://msfsaddons.org), finally found the proper folder to load it into (I'll never understand why AppData is hidden by default, but thats more a Windows 10 issue) and got it working perfectly... for exactly 1 session. Now, having changed nothing, the liveries are gone. Anyone have any insight as to what may have happened?

The archive for that pack came with a main folder that had bunch of subfolders inside for each individual aircraft. I found I couldn't get it to work properly unless I went one level down and unzipped all the subfolders into the Community folder, instead of just dragging the main "livery pack" directory in there.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Gimme a big bowl of mashed potatoes and I'll sculpt a better one for MSFS.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I had kind of an interesting experience flying around. I had loaded up Flagstaff and the Icon A5 to do some low-level flying around and checking out the area since it's one of the 3D photogrammetry cities. I had live players on and just after taking off from KFLG I noticed a lot of people not too far off in the distance. I decided to check it out and I found a group of several dozen players just circling and screwing around in the hills a few miles northwest of the city:

(Apologies for the quality of these screenshots, I wasn't planning to do screengrabs so I quick turned on the Nvidia overlay but apparently the screenshots it takes look like absolute dogshit if you're playing in HDR. Or maybe all the time. Anyway it looked much MUCH better in the actual game)

From some of the usernames I'm pretty sure I ran across a Korean aviation goonswarm. All at once they all flew off in the same direction so I decided to follow, but since I was in a piddly Icon there was no way I could keep up. By the time I caught up with them, they had all landed at Valle:

So naturally as a goon I decided to buzz them a couple of times.

They all took off again with pretty admirable coordination and kept flying in the direction of the Grand Canyon. I couldn't keep up again, but when I got there they had all descended into the canyon. I decided to go down a bit west of them and a few minutes later some of them started to overtake me. I didn't realize that if you have a custom livery it displays for other players, which is pretty cool...as evidenced by this person doing the Death Star trench run in a FedEx livery:

After they passed me I flicked the view around to see what was behind me and discovered an entire squadron of TIE fighters general aviation aircraft on my tail.

But for some reason they never caught up to me. A few minutes later I had my first ever crash to desktop and I didn't bother trying to go back in again.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

For whoever was talking about Devil's Tower looking like crap, someone on reddit has already made a replacement:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/comments/im5q8w/devils_tower_release_download/

Edit: Actually I tried it out and it looks really good even up close. I clipped through it trying to land on it though. :saddowns:

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 5, 2020

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Is the in-game marketplace not working for anyone else at the moment? I was downloading the free Paderborn airport DLC and halfway through got an error that I was offline (I was not offline), and when I restart the game the whole marketplace screen just has a generic screenshot and "Coming Soon".

edit: Never mind, seems like it's back now. Though I have to start a 3.5gb download all over again, awesome.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

So I had a ~13gb download for the patch (I have the upgraded version) and about halfway through it seemed like it timed out or lost the network connection. I restarted MSFS...and now I have a 66.7gb download waiting for me. :shepicide:

Also my SSD went from 20gb free to 80gb free, so apparently the installer for some reason deleted vast swaths of the game during the patch download/install process. Thanks Asobo!