Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I took the FS2020 plunge and scooped up a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro from the Goodwill that has all the computer parts in town. I just did a bush plane flight around the local airport and tried to get a feel for how much has changed since last time I really played Microsoft Flight Simulator... back when it was FS5 in the mid-90s. I was a teenager back then but I managed to pull off at least one IFR flight. I'm wondering what settings I should take in general to get to that level of realism again. I should probably just switch to the Cessna but I am wondering if it's defaulting to more arcade-like controls for all the people that want to just crash into their house. Right now, all the simulation settings are just defaulted to medium.

I'm also curious about view controls that can help me look over the nose. I have a hat on the joystick but couldn't figure out a slightly raised view nor how to look behind me. Actually, I've never had a joystick with so many drat buttons and I'm wondering what some good button assignments might be. After all, the autocannon seems to have been removed from the plane so the main trigger has nothing to do. I think in older versions that defaulted to the brakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sagebrush posted:

What level of realism was FS5? Are there specific features that you're looking for? If you feel it's too arcadey, I'd just turn off all the assists and see how you fare. If you have a rudder axis bound, understand what the mixture knob does, and don't need glowing arrows in the sky, I think you'll be fine with all assists off. Half the fun is stuff like discovering that you've been flying the wrong course for the last twenty minutes because your directional gyro precessed and you didn't synchronize it to your compass and now you have to find your way back on course with no GPS.

Spacebar pops your viewpoint up a few inches to see over the nose.
The older flight simulators went through a hazing procedure with the parking brake, for starters. It was worth a cheap laugh with friends getting frustrated the drat plane wouldn't do anything until the brake was released, but that was a great teachable moment that this is going to be a different experience. With the assists on, I think I managed to land IMO a little too easily without using flaps at all. Once I shut off all the assists, I was do an excellent job of bowing the nose down into the ground with the bush plane riiight when I was about to actually stop it.

I did as you suggested and shut off all the assists and it's now more what I was hoping. One downside is the parking brake is finding new ways to haze me. I think I need to use LCTRL for it and not RCTRL.

Now I need to figure out which plane to focus on for trying to relearn instruments. I saw somebody mentioning VOR stations so I'm assuming that's still a regular thing. I don't want to just lean on the GPS and call it a day; it doesn't help me that much with landings anyways if I understand right.

A MIRACLE posted:

use the ATC or dont lol

I wanted to use it now but it was really annoying when I just wanted to fly around all the places I grew up. Now I'm getting the instruments starting again and I remember baby's first instrument in that lineup is the transponder.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am trying to pick a plane in FS2020 for getting back into IFR. This is taking me across some contradictions:

1. Single engine.
2. Good visibility outside of the cockpit. Like, I should aspire to flip without looking outside but I want to confirm what I am doing whole getting back into it. I can just look externally so I think this doesn't matter as much.
3. Fairly fast speed so I can go between some more major airports in quick sessions without fiddling with time.
4. A "broad" cockpit. I think I want to have most of the toys visible at once instead of embedded in layers behind a digital panel ("depth").

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Definitely the TBM-930. It has the most complete IFR implementation and is pretty fast.

That's a quick pair of responses. I can't figure out a drat thing! I thought I'd start with the transponder and have no idea where to look. I tried keybindings for it (T and SHIFT-ALT-W) and nothing happened. I was paused while doing this and ATC still fired me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mokotow posted:

You do it through the touch screen in the middle, below the main instrument cluster. It’s nifty and even has a weather and terrain radar!

Yeah I finally figured out how to poke that thing a little bit from a tutorial but I'm still quite helpless hahaha. Some things in particular to this plane:
1. Do I normally have to point the nose above the horizon to fly level in this plane? It looks like I'm pitching above the horizon to keep it level and that's even at a pretty decent speed.
2. Where is the elevator trim anyways?
3. Is this plane really sensitive with the rudder? I am trying to figure out how much my controller is skewing things versus how much the plane snaps when using the rudder. I already expanded the dead zone on the controller so little wiggles shouldn't register.
4. All of my flights so far with it starting in different parts of the US have had it veer leftwards on the runway during takeoff. Is this, like, a thing?
5. Yesterday, it really like to roll clockwise too. Is this a propeller trim kind of thing?
6. I was trying a small airport that just was repeating the weather in an automated system. What is the proper way to shut that up? I just switched the COM frequencies.
7. Is there some guard against inputting invalid VOR stations? I found it would refuse keypresses to numbers that didn't match a nearby station.

And two general question:
1. What are my options for landing with instruments at smaller airports? Back in prehistory, a lot of those airports weren't a thing in FS5 and I don't know what's changed in 25 years. I'm looking at SkyVector and I just see a lot of RNAV stuff. Is that just GPS?
2. What's a good pair (or more) of close airports to rapidly practice takeoff, navigation, and landing with instruments? I picked some smaller stuff and found out the airports I'm using don't even have their own VOR stations. I'm thinking I should just pick a major metropolitan area. Like, I'm thinking maybe JFK to Laguardia. Or Midway to O'Hare.

Edit: LOL I think the fuel balance was messed up while I was clicking around before takeoff. While trying figure out how to deal with that, I closed all the valves and killed the engine.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 5, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Thanks for the responses. I have some stuff about some of the answers that I'll break up.

Sagebrush posted:

1. Depends on your viewpoint. The default is kinda low, I assume to make the instruments more prominent. Press spacebar to sit up where you should be.
I'm talking about what the instrumentation seems to show me in the TBM. I am assuming where blue meets green/brown is zero degrees of pitch, but I'm losing altitude and gaining speed if the screen indicators are lined up with it.

quote:

5. Could be any number of things, including controller calibration, winds aloft, etc. There should be an aileron trim binding as well, so try that. Even planes that don't have aileron trim in real life will respond to the key command, I guess as a bit of a cheat to make things easier.
I'll double check in another plane first, but I didn't remember this in the bush plane.

quote:

7. VORs only have frequencies between 108.0 and 117.95 so maybe you were trying to put in something outside that range?
Yeah I was. I saw an XYZ.AB number and thought I could shove it in.

quote:

1. You gotta look up the charts for the airport on SkyVector and see what options you have. For instance check this out https://skyvector.com/airport/AOC/Arco-Butte-County-Airport and scroll down and notice you have one RNAV (yes, generally GPS) approach plate. Your only IFR approach is a GPS-guided path into one runway. Before GPS, airplanes would have used VOR or NDB approaches, which are too complex to get into in a single reply, but I and others have made some effortposts about them earlier in the thread.

Heh that's what I was using when I was a teenager. I have no idea how the GPS procedure even works and I was hoping to try the old school thing first to hopefully get back some old memories.

Just using your airport there as a reference, in "Nearby Navigation Aids" are the left ones VOR and the right ones NDB? Does that airport have anything for ILS?

Last time I looked at any of this was the back of the FS5 manual and it had its own format--or it was using a different format from what I can remember.

quote:

2. Only the largest airports will have the full ILS localizer/glideslope/VOR/etc set of nav aids, but medium-sized airports that are the largest one in their area will usually have a good range of options. Try e.g. Sacramento to Reno (SMF-RNO). That's about a 30 minute flight in the TBM and it goes over lots of pretty terrain and both of them have a wide variety of departures and approaches.
Yeah okay I think that answered that. I always thought they were further apart, or maybe you're not including runway-to-runway. I guess I can just try to fly it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Charles posted:

Loaded up the TBM to try it out again.
5. It has an actual aileron trim, bottom left below the throttle.
7. If you were trying to enter an NDB into the ADF receiver you have to put in a leading zero. For nav frequencies yeah it enforces correct entries. Be sure to hit the XFER button to put it as active.

I don't know what RIGHT-ctrl Pageup does, but it is not increase altitude selection 🤐

edit: Just pageup is toggle avionics master. Oops

edit 2: I don't notice the plane being particularly nose-up, do you have flaps down? Or maybe you messed up the COG when doing the fuel stuff.

Here's where I had to put it to keep a fairly level altitude.

The flaps are up; I think the plane gets pissed if I don't raise them after takeoff and starts to beep at me. Okay, I assume the flaps are up. I just shove the control knob for them all the way forward/away from myself. I pull them all the way backward/towards myself when I'm landing.

So they're, like, buttons? Would I normally have to expect to set aileron trim for manual, level flight? I'm assuming so and the normal thing is to just boop boop the GPS and lean back.

Edit: I, like, need an aileron trim between -0.1 and -0.2 but I can't quite dial it in. I guess I will need to try another plane and see if my joystick is just coaxing it along. Maybe a twin-engine plane.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 5, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dupersaurus posted:

The attitude indicator shows where your nose is pointing, not the direction you're actually traveling. Maintaining altitude is about the angle of attack of the wings, and the required angle is inversely proportional to the speed you're going. As you go faster the required AoA will decrease, but depending on the aircraft you may never have the nose actually pointing level.

Heh yeah okay I am reminded of an old video I watched about how planes don't literally point where they are going. I don't think that was modeled forever ago when I last tried this all.

Edit: Well, I tried to turn on the autopilot to maintain course and heading in the TBM. I paused for a bit and then found it was trying to send me straight into the ground. I think I disabled the autopilot and the plane still wanted to nose down. Also, it continued to lose speed while I was paused. What's up with that? I increased engine power and raised my altitude so I could play around with it. Elevator trim didn't seem to do anything to solve it. Ultimately, the plane ripped apart in mid-air or something. It claimed I had put too much strain on the airframe going 160 knots 6,000 feet off the ground or something. Is there a way yet to save a situation like this so I could go back and figure out what went wrong? It's a lost cause this time but I remember being able to do that way back when.

As far as interesting indications, I had AP ON YD OFF, which apparently just means it's not controlling the rudder. I think I saw a note about the inertial separator being on.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 5, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well I managed to get the autopilot to take me somewhere based on a VOR station at a height I entered. I am pretty sure my first run with the autopilot was doomed when I turned it on with a desired height of 0 feet. Active pause can go die somewhere too. The only major screwup is I entered the VOR coordinates and never set any kind of desired heading so it kind of just trucked along until could approach it going north. That's when it turned direction. I have no idea about landing yet and I should practice recovering from the simulator loving up the autopilot. It sounds like I should be able to turn it on, active pause, swing the stick some wild direction for 10 seconds, set it back, unpause, and have a fight for my life.

Is there a way to control the view of the center console in the TBM? I'd like to zoom it out and stuff. It's basically showing the VFR window but I'm guessing I can do more with the console itself (?).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
More FS2020 (I guess we should specify which simulator we're talking about even if FS2020 is the rage right now):

If I'm reading all the crap on SkyVector correctly, Miami (MIA) and Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) give me two major airports really close to each other where I can just try out a bunch of instrument poo poo fairly quickly.

I thought I'd just start with RNAV anyways even if those airports support more and I'm finding online I have to second-guess everything. The FS2020 autopilot really is screwed up. Some seasoned pilot was trying to show an RNAV landing in a YouTube video and had to intervene when it refused to change altitude to reach some of the landing approach waypoints. Somebody said that you have to start below the approach and have the approach intercept from above before the autopilot takes over. Who knows. Is that true to life? It caught a lot of people off-guard in the comments.

Where do I place liveries so they show up in-game? I'm just seeing a bunch of articles about "go to the hanger and select a livery ... if you have any. By the way, there are none!"

I'm wondering about multiplayer capabilities that I think were available in previous versions, but I'm looking way back and some of this stuff might have been removed in more recent versions. I think there was something that let me basically shoot a flare that was visible to other players. Is that still a thing? Even without that, is there anything that will make it easier for me to find my buddy? We figured out holding the trigger would show the nearest visual interest, and that would be the other player if there wasn't anything else major nearby. I was hoping I could see them in some map in-game.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Haha well that's just great then. One of the other comments on the video I saw on it was that this was the most expensive open beta they've participated in.

Nonetheless, most people buying it probably just want to ram an AirBus into their house.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

jammyozzy posted:

I've gotten RNAV to work all the way to final approach a couple of times, but I've found that for a lot of smaller airports the approach procedures in-game either don't match reality or are straight up missing.

Are you okay sharing an approach you've succeeded with? Also, do you come in above, below, or roughly level with it? I figured I'd ask now since I might be fighting this tonight; having a known-good one should help me figure out how much of it is my direct fault.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How actually does getting fuel work? I saw something about SHIFT-F but nothing ever seems to happen for me. A friend of mine in the same session managed to get the truck just fine though.

Theris posted:

Grab the approach plate for whatever approach you're doing from Skyvector. The vertical profile is at the bottom and will show you the altitude you should intercept the glideslope from. 99% of the time you should be level at an altitude "below" the glideslope when you intercept. The rest you might need to already be descending/intercepting from above due to terrain or airspace weirdness.

I'm not having too much luck so I'll show you how I'm trying to follow along.

Here's the approach I'm deciding to try to master:
https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2009/pdf/00744R10R.PDF

Or if you just want the basics without dealing with a PDF:
code:
Distance  Name    Altitude ft.
(START)   BEZER   4000
+3.2      BLAIM   3000
+3.8      LORII   1800
+3.9      ZALAL   560
+1.6      (runway 10R)
In the world screen, I set a low-altitude IFR for an RNAV approach to 10R for Ft. Lauderdale. The planner starts the approach at BLAIM, not BEZER. I am taking off from Miami runway 27. The autopilot can navigate me to BLAIM. ATC tells me to maintain 3,000 ft until BLAIM, and it does give me the altitudes for the remaining points.

If I understand right, if I set this up in the world map, it should all be entered into the TBM's navigation computer. I have it in navigation mode and then at BEZER I hit the autopilot button to enable approach mode. Nothing changes. I maintain level flight at the same altitude.

I saw a lot about needing to be below the glide path--including your response, so I tried 2900 feet and the autopilot still didn't mess with altitude. I had to manually enter them all. I got the impression from one YouTube video that this should be automatic but it was acting screwy, so they wound up controlling the altitude from the knobs too. Other videos just went straight to the knobs. I got the impression the autopilot should be able to practically (literally?) land me.

I'm also wondering how I can control autopilot speed.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/51

This game is going to be amazing if we also get the extremely weird Bad/Weird Modding community along with the usual payware folks.

For a second, I thought I was looking at another bizarro Skyrim mod.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I successfully slammed the plane into the runway at Fort Lauderdale using the GPS now. This is what I put into the world map:

I checked the computer and it claimed to have ILS 10L in the approach despite showing RNAV 10R on the map. So I set it to RNAV 10R and my transition changed to BEZER instead of BLAIM according to the display, but my display still sent me to BEZER.

On GPS:
1. Turned on NAV mode
2. Turned on yaw dampener
3. Set altitude to 2900 ft. BLAIM is at 3000 feet, but I'm being a rebel and trying to guarantee I'm below my approach. ATC tolerated my shenanigans.
4. Turned on vertical speed mode.
5. Changed vertical speed climb rate to 1,000 ft/min

I had to manually control altitude until well past LORII when I noticed my altitude was dropping on its own and my glide path display was showing something interesting for once. One lesson learned is when doing the approach that I should not look at my set altitude so much and see what's going on literally everywhere else around the digital altimeter. I had some notion that I would see the set altitude changing while the approach was running.

I had a great approach. Cockpit starting screaming about landing gear so I hit G and F7 to drop my gear and lower my flaps partways. It stopped for a little and then it came up again just as I smacked into the runway for a beautiful belly landing. Did the autopilot gently caress with my landing gear too or what?

A+ would scrape down the runway again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sigher posted:

edit: So my lady was guiding me over the phone and teaching me how to fly, I got lost somewhere and she wanted to show me how to use the Garmin 300 in the C172 to lock onto an airport and be able to find my way because using dead reckoning wasn't working since I had no clue where I was; she was able to guide me through using the GPS to search for the airport but then she told me to press "Direct, then Enter and Enter again" and it would take me back to the map and there would be a pink line from the plane directly to the airport. However nothing happened. I remember when the game first came out that people were talking about how certain NAV systems were completely broken or not implemented, is this one of them? Or was I missing a step somewhere down the line that didn't make it work?

I don't entirely know and I'm mostly just bumping in case the edit was completely missed.

If you just wanted to figure out where the hell you were, you can bring up a menu by moving the mouse up to the top of the screen, and you can bring up a map that way. That should bring up a "VFR Map" window that you can control and figure out exactly where you are. However, I'm guessing something in that plane is basically already showing that view, but you can at least easily zoom in/out and pan the VFR map.

If you were planning to navigate based on some coordinate, then that's a whole other ball game. If you planned to have the autopilot take care of it, this would be some things you probably have to overcome:
1. Telling the autopilot to navigate.
2. Making sure the autopilot is set to navigate to whatever coordinate you entered.
3. Turning on the autopilot in the first place. It's the first thing to think of but the last thing to do because it might slam you into the ground otherwise. Or it might slam you into the ground anyways!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, major step backwards trying to do an autopilot RNAV approach to Fort Lauderdale. The first time I brought it up, I saw a bonus "USER" waypoint in the flight plan set to... 33 feet. Caught ya!

I just manually programmed the flight plan in and included a enroute waypoint to BEZER. I didn't fly through it but I flew near it and entered BLAIM in line with the runway.

I have no loving clue what the autopilot did for the approach. Okay, I know what it did, but not what it was thinking. It slammed me right into the runway! It just pointed the nose right at it.

Edit: Tried again and it seemed okayish. I bounced from how it hit the runway so I must be coming in too fast with the autopilot. It's faster than I would normally prefer to land anyways. I'm still having a hard time telling that the approach is actually working. The only indication I have is that my altitude continues to drop, but that could be from the autopilot making GBS threads its pants and deciding to crash, or it somehow disengaging.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 8, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CaptainEO posted:

You can’t autoland from an RNAV approach, you’re supposed to disconnect the autopilot no lower than the decision altitude and land manually (or go around if you don’t see the runway).

The only autopilots that are going to safely guide you all the way to touchdown are autoland-equipped airliners on an appropriate ILS approach.

What about ILS while flying the TBM? I had one decent landing that way on accident. I set an RNAV landing in the world map, but I notice in the navigation plan that it likes to make that an ILS approach.

I got fixated on RNAV since it's to me and I saw it at all the airports. I figured it was worth knowing just for that. It sounds like bad news if your little airport is fogged in.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So just to be clear, I can land manually*, but my exercise here is trying to demonstrate I can feed in all the navigational information correctly by having the in-sim autopilot navigate with it. I'm trying to progressively roll back until I can land at night in the fog. I started with RNAV because I wasn't familiar with it at all and had never down anything with GPS. Also, it looks like that's all I get at most of the smaller airports. I figured it was shittier because of that but I didn't know the limitations at all.

Today, I managed to properly land at Fort Lauderdale. Then I tried to reprogram a course that returns me to Miami. Once again it added a "USER" waypoint set to 33 feet as the first waypoint in the approach. Is this actually a thing? It looks to be more consistent than I would expect for a bug like that. I have to just redo the destination and approach until I get an approach that doesn't include it. I haven't deliberately tried to fly with it that waypoint set so I don't really know if it actually does anything. I can't change its altitude.

I didn't get the approach autopilot to take over on a return to Miami directly afterwards. I was trying to use RNAV for runway 26R. The crosshairs are at ZARER at 1500 feet, so I figured that's the earliest I could get it. I came in from underneath the slope, but nothing happened. I tried to come in to PATLY at 500 feet instead of the printed 800 feet and nothing happened there either.

ATC also started to ignore me. I guess it just seizes up once the world map flight plan is finished. Well, I also screwed up and requested takeoff clearance heading west instead of east and I couldn't do anything about it. That's the last I got out of it. I don't think I care too much and for the sake of what I'm doing, I think I'm fine with ignoring ATC completely for now.

I was curious about the flight courses that are part of the standard departure/arrivals and if there's any appropriate for such a short flight between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I wanted to practice entering coordinates for them too. However, I couldn't see a chart on SkyVector that was practical.

*I do have trouble with the approach speed in the TBM too and seeing some of the talk in the past ~12 hours or so is pretty reassuring. I have basically 0% throttle and I'm still rocketing in a hundred feet higher than I should. I normally bounce once.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Turn on the autopilot and re-enact that Ethiopian 737-MAX crash.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Speaking of getting killed by the autopilot: Guess who tried an autopilot ILS approach in a TBM? It looks like the autopilot won't just land my little TBM like that one time. That was just an aberration from everything else I had done. I had to pull the stick up a smidge to get a nice landing, but it's as close to butter as I've gotten in a TBM. That table somebody posted really helped; I came in around 90 knots.

Now, for stuff.

First, can I get some reaffirmation that other people have to deal with this USER waypoint stuff? This was in the initial plan:

I just keep redoing the plan basically until it goes away. I still saw a hint of something like it on one of my panels:

Second, from all the entering and re-entering, my en-route waypoint to BEZER had no height set in the final entry. So when I turned on the autopilot, it naturally decided to try to smash me into the ground. Is this at all realistic? I would imagine an autopilot system would not decide "----" meant "zero." Then I set a height for it, turned on the autopilot again, and the vertical speed decided to be negative. So it decided to go from 1000 feet to 3000 feet at a rate of 1000 feet per minute. Is that also a normal thing?

Finally, what can I do in the TBM cockpit for lighting so I can see the autopilot panel at night? I was thumbing around in the dark trying to work on it and clearly did some stupid stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
zedprime's experience is about what I would expect assuming I manually programmed BEZER to actually have an altitude. I'm still unimpressed that a non-programmed altitude in a waypoint tells the autopilot to smack into the ground.

The dog leg in the plan also shoes up in mine, but the VFR map in-sim along with the navigation display will properly point to my next waypoint.

I haven't seen a localizer mode with the autopilot, but I haven't been looking either. I don't know what all the autopilot controls do yet. I'm afraid one of the other ones I haven't pushed will open a trap door under the plane and drop me out in my seat.

zedprime posted:

You're going to have to be more specific about which autopilot modes sent you into the ground. One word of warning, do not make stick inputs while the autopilot is turned on in the TBM. It starts overcompensating so that if you give it a little bit of pull up it now lawn darts no matter what maneuver it thinks it's pulling off.

Reading the open issues log and from experience, VNAV doesnt actually do anything so the nav computer heights are for personal reference only I guess. The user waypoints are harmless in that context then, they seem to be for smoothing out initiation into the waypoint from your current location where you hit activate. If you click the navpoints in the flight plan you can skip around which leg you want GPS mode to have active so you can skip it and or fly by heading up to the first point.

Now that you're doing ILS you can remove all doubts and confounding about nav computer waypoints. Set your NAV1 to the ILS frequency. Line up around your first approach waypoint by manual or autopilot flying at around the plate stated altitude. Make sure for PFD nav source is NAV1. Turn on NAV mode. You should see in hone in on NAV1 heading. You should see the glide slope indicator next to your altitude and you should probably be near the center if you're at the posted altitude for the nearby waypoint. Turn on APR. It should stay honed in on the bearing and now make inputs to keep the glide slope indicator near the center.

Yeah I've learned to act like active pause isn't a thing I can use. "If you need a breather after a moment of thrilling flying" or whatever the screen loading text is very ironic; the "thrilling flying" probably happened thanks to active pause!

I was in NAV mode (with NAV1) set and it was trying to go to BEZER, which I had manually programmed but had not set the altitude. Altitude control was in vertical speed mode. Before taking off, I set the autopilot to vertical speed mode at +1,000 feet per minute. When I turned on the autopilot from the master autopilot button, it immediately nosed down. I fought back control and set BEZER's altitude to 3,000 feet in the planner. Not that the approach chart wants 4,000 feet for BEZER but ATC always hounds me for 3,000 feet. I turned it back on and it tried to fly to BEZER at -1,000 feet per minute (note, minus!). Again, nose down. I was below the target altitude both times. I haven't tried this again yet. Maybe tonight I just practice fighting the autopilot.

Regarding the approach: I've been turning on approach mode after BLAIM but before LORII in the approach. LORII is the waypoint in the approach chart with an X mark on it, so I'm guessing it's pointless to even think about it until I reach there. I never see anything happen with my glideslope until I reach LORII anyways. A bunch of stuff happens on the display in pretty rapid succession so it's hard for me to tell what's going on when it's succeeding. I recall at one point the set altitude turned yellow and flashed. I'm guessing there's supposed to be some indication that the approach mode is ignoring my set altitude and doing its own thing.

Things are also at a point where I can probably cross-reference actual documentation and other simulators.

Edit: For the general stuff with navigation and autopilot, are there good text resources I can reasonably rely on correlating to FS2020? It doesn't have a manual itself. I'm about to just blindly Google but I don't know if I'm going to waste a lot of time doing that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 9, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Tonight's Fort Lauderdale experience:

I was trying to get the autopilot to screw up, so I manually added the BEZER waypoint without setting an altitude. The autopilot was in NAV and VS modes with no altitude set but a climb rate of 1,000 ft/s. Technically, the set altitude on the display was 0ft. It looks like it just climbed at 1,000 ft/min without stopping. I thought that maybe it would automatically level at 4,000ft because that's where BEZER is shown on the 10R map, but it didn't.

The autopilot decided it missed BLAIM and did a 360 to fly to it again. It had five minutes of level flying along the line before that to work with. I don't really understand. I was going at 180 knots. Should I have been slower or something? I think I normally am flying around 180 knots around that point.

I went back to RNAV for this flight. The approach never caught the glide slope. Also, it looks like the waypoint for 10R for the RNAV landing was on the center of the runway so I was coming in too high. I managed to fix it and land without bouncing (my standards...) but I'm guessing the more realistic thing would be to declare a missed approach. ATC doesn't exist though hehehe.

I think I read here FS2020 doesn't save replays yet. Is that right? I'm thinking that would be a good thing to have to see what happened when pushing the autopilot's subterranean mode. It's easy enough for me to say I did this or that but maybe I set a negative climb rate or something. Who knows? I also imagine it would be easier to put that replay up somewhere for somebody else to see and explain why I'm stupid.

At any rate, I'll be rambling more about this particular course but I'll be expanding what I'm doing to more instruments and crap and less straight-up GPS autopilot.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sellouts posted:

The autopilot is really, really, really bad.

I wouldn’t stress about it until there’s another patch or a pay ware plane that nails it. Dancing around a broken system is learning bad habits imo

Yeah I have to agree. I was thinking maybe it just has to be set up perfectly, but I have had enough runs with it on the same course that I don't think it is consistent. Still, I am thinking saving a replay would be better to have first now. I can at least review what I did and be able to dismiss something. I have a bad feeling while farting around with IFR that I will stub my toe on something else. My first guess is just inaccuracies but I wouldn't dismiss a complete screwup.

What are my recourses for skipping ahead in flights? I heard about some mode where I skip ahead to the destination, but I don't know how to toggle it. I also would want to try it with intermediate steps in a route to test my navigation.

Finally, is there a "fourth wall autopilot?" I mean, one that runs outside of the simulation's parameters. I wonder if I use that and basically play a copilot playing with navigation and instruments.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

zedprime posted:

Any way it sounds like you've done landing to the point of frustration, I'd recommend you get a somewhat longer route and dick around without time pressure of a 15 minute landing drill to play with altitude management using manual altitude knob setting combined with VS or FLC if you want to bother keeping up with the weird AP.

I'm thinking of moving on to messing with all the instruments and hoping autopilot gets some improvements soon. The idea I had originally was testing my understanding of the different instruments by programming them as much into the navigation system and seeing if the autopilot agrees with me. It looks like it does agree with me, but it is suicidal and needs a round of professional psychiatric therapy.

Another challenge of mine is to work on manual, level flight. I am pretty good at pitch between trim and throttle, but I have this nasty rolling problem that I posted about earlier. I adjusted my dead zone but the TBM still likes to roll clockwise. I was blowing it off since I figured the autopilot could just take care of business for the endurance part of the flight, but you are seeing how that goes.

Oceanbound posted:

I do RNAV for most of my landings in the King Air and can get it to work pretty consistently, yes.

Unicorn spotted.

Are you manually flying the whole approach? I'm pretty sure I've seen the approach on my instruments but the autopilot is blowing it off in approach mode.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
God drat I have to login approve app permissions, create another account, etc. just to see what's going on with the autopilot. I was hoping to skim on my phone but that is too much.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to figure out how to set up a basic VOR course in the TBM's navigation computer. I can enter it in and have it display, but I don't know how to set direction. In Ye Olde Times, I think there was an OBS control for this kind of thing. I don't know how the cool kids do it with these navigation computer displays that are basically their own Flight Simulator 4 minigames. Let's say want to approach station 110.50 on its 123 radial. How do I give that radial?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

zedprime posted:

CRS1 and CRS2 knobs are what you're looking for in the TBM.

Even though they are independent knobs and presumably apply to the nav sources whether they are your active guidance or not, they only work when that radio is the nav source. It's not a real problem but seems like a oversight from sharing logic with something that has one heading adjustment knob.

Wait, so the autopilot knobs control that too? Is that the normal thing these days?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
On the side of "user error" I wish it had record/replay so somebody else could see the fuckup--or we could see it ourselves for that matter. Still, I would be a little surprised if you could just set the autopilot casually to go to 0 ft or have it default to 0 ft. I would have thought there'd be a few air crash documentaries involving that at this point if that was a normal thing.

I have been getting pretty consistent results for the initial course if I have it all programmed and armed while I'm still on the ground. That's with navigation. I'm starting to do less with it and just have it maintain a heading or altitude but I've been setting that in-flight. That's already lead to some shenanigans. Of course, it's in flight so I'm a little preoccupied, so I can't tell if I'm loving it up or if the autopilot's getting some data in-flight it doesn't get on the ground and deciding to commit suicide.

For lack of having any better spot to mention some unrelated stuff and not wanting to just create separate posts, some random things:
1. I noticed in some YouTube videos with the TBM that other people were getting a clockwise roll too. Is this not a thing in its model? Do other people here not get that with a dead stick?
2. Are the achievements screwed up too? I think I got one for manually starting up an AirBus even though I haven't done a thing with that plane yet. I also landed at a grass runway yesterday (not in a TBM hahaha) and didn't make that achievement.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Let's say I wanted to depart from CYBE (Golden), fly to Lake Louise, and land at Calgary Intl (CYYC), and I wanted to set up navigation for it. SkyVector really doesn't show much to work with. Do I just manually set GPS coordinates?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bedurndurn posted:

There's a dirt strip called CYJA that looks like it's right near it Lake Louise.

Naw that's Alaska. That was pretty funny to look up though. I don't know the area at all so I couldn't tell right away. So everything was all different and there was all this stuff that I didn't see before hahaha.

It's not an important thing that compels me to buy charts. Heck, would Flight Simulator 2020 even have the additional stations?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sagebrush posted:

CYJA is in Jasper, AB, Canada. All of the airfields starting with C are Canadian.

Yes, FS2020 has pretty much every single airfield and navaid in the real world in its database.

Yeah okay I somehow got Lake Louise in Alaska and all this wonderful navigation goodness when I was back referencing everything. I think Jasper is further away than Golden.

The main question was how I could navigate to Lake Louise using just instruments in that area. I wasn't seeing much on SkyVector and I found out on here that Canadian navigation resources are sparse and not free. So that's a first problem. The second problem is I don't know if I'd really get much more resources if I paid for a chart of that area since it's in the Canadian Rockies. So the route itself isn't that big of a deal. It's just something a friend and I did when we first got FS2020 and we wanted to try it again with a better bearing.

More generally speaking, what would be the right way to get to a specific spot like this as part of a larger route? I'm assuming the normal thing is to just manually enter a GPS coordinate. If I don't want to do GPS then I'm guessing I need to triangulate myself against two VOR stations. I'm thinking I'll just try to do something similar but within the US with public charts.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding the flight to Calgary: that airport itself isn't the part that's messing me up. It's being able to navigate to Lake Louise first. I'm going to try to figure out how to enter it as a GPS coordinate manually. I haven't done that before and wasn't so sure how I could even do that manually. I am assuming I can do it from the world map but I'd like to try to do it from the TBM's navigation computer in the cockpit.

In unrelated things: does anybody else get kind of dropped on the runway when they start flights? I've particularly noticed it on second flights of the day. I thought maybe it was some throttle state; maybe my throttle was in a little when I stopped the previous flight, but I've seen it happen now when I definitely had it idle. Some of the drops are so violent that I expect it to report I crashed within a few seconds of starting out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The other airstrips around there in Papua New Guinea are also pretty crazy in their own, unique ways. If there was any reason to have an FS2020 AirGoon meet, it would be to putt putt around that area and see how many trees and mountainsides we can pull into our laps.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is that the handle at the far bottom of the center of the cockpit? I think I turned that too one time while trying to click on something else and had a similar catastrophe.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zaphod42 posted:

Can you actually go entirely manual yoke and throttle in a 747 IRL?

Some other people have already responded by how ubiquitous it is to have some logic between your inputs and the actual control surfaces. I figured it might help think what it would look like if everything was stripped away except the minimum fly-by-wire system. The plane probably wasn't even designed with a basic 1:1 relationship between the different directions on the controller to the exterior control surfaces. So you turning the yoke clockwise requires some compound action to get the kind of roll you'd expect as a human being to get. That already means something has to do some thinking behind the scenes. So "manual" is something of an illusion anymore anyways. While that's kind of scary in its own right, not having to use mechanical and hydraulic controls means running the same input three different ways around the plane and being able to having two of the three receivers vote the third off the island when it goes dead. Meanwhile, you probably wouldn't notice a thing until you've arrived at the terminal because the plane regarded it as not too important.

Now, yeah, it's counter-intuitive to have a plane veto you, say turning that same hypothetical yoke. However somebody previously nudged their yoke with their middle-aged gut, inadvertently disabled the autopilot, and slammed a plane into the side of a mountain without even noticing. So that's why we can't have nice things.

I'm not a real pilot here so I'm speaking a bit hypothetically but I hope the perspective is useful.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A nice wrinkle in the approach autopilot: It wasn't triggering for me last night and I thought it might have something to do with the route I put into the world map. My navigation source was set to FMS and I thumbed through NAV1 and NAV2. Switching the source immediately turned off the autopilot automatically. NAV1 and NAV2 weren't set to the runway right in front of me, so I went back to FMS and turned the autopilot on again. The approach system immediately took over.

Edit: I had set up for an ILS approach to the target airport. Also, if you were curious, this was for Calgary International Airport, runway 11. In other news, the intermediate waypoint would have sent me inside various mountains at 5,000ft.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 14, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MrYenko posted:

Canada doesn’t play nice with docs like the US does, and I can’t find it. What plate were you using?

I did get access through fltplan.com, but this route was entered completely through the world map with the addition of GPS coordinates for flying over Lake Louise.

I suppose I should go back to my KMIA/KFLL thing and see if jiggering the autopilot like that catches the guideslope consistently.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I get it with those runways. I guess the algorithm that is filling detail from sparse overhead map data is making poor judgment calls on what is a runway marker versus some building.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MrYenko posted:

I’m not asking about the lateral guidance, but vertical guidance. The only doc I could find is an outdated STAR, which shows the FAF (which is weird) having an at-or-above 6800ft restriction for you to join the glideslope.

I went digging and I don't think I can find an actual plate. FS2020's world map just kind of generated one. I also found it a little goofy because you have to come in more northerly for a northwest approach, but the alternative is probably smacking into the mountains. Calgary itself is, like, 3500 feet above sea level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was coming in from Golden and had to get up around 14,000 feet to make sure I didn't wind up in a Canadian version of Alive. I guess the mountains end west enough of Calgary for that to not matter?