Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Can all the data for the new Flight Simulator be installed to a second drive? Since it is a Windows Store app I assume it is going to want to try to stream a terabyte of scenery data onto my system drive into a folder with permissions that prevents Administrators from being being able to move it, clean it out, or symlink it to a data drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Rincey posted:

The alpha allows you to choose install locations for all the data.
Nice, thanks! That means I can put an old 500GB SATA SSD to use and not have to worry about running out of space on the system drive or having to shuffle things around. Glad they didn't force that.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
What an insane way to distribute a flight simulator oh hang on :v:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

I'd cheerfully pay for an update of that.
I had A-10 Tank Killer when I was in high school and thought it was amazing and one of my favorite games I played as a kid. I hoped someone would make a modern A-10 simulator. Then, DCS came out with it but turns out I don't have nearly enough fingers to fly an A-10.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I have been kicking myself for the last week about the fact that I threw out my modded PS Eye camera last year after it sat on my desk for like 6 years. ha HA though, turns out it never made it to electronics recycling yet and just has a year of garage floor gunk in it. I even looked around and found my left over IR leds from when I built my tracking headset (that did make it into the garbage). Today everything is coming up Milhouse. :unsmith:

A cheap thing I designed to use my T.16000M HOTAS for playing ED on the Vive might be helpful for new people who just need something to put their junk on (the PVC is even less complicated now than in the photo):

It has worked for hundreds of hours and just needs a 3D printer and some PVC. You nerds have that right? Models are on Thingiverse.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

cool new Metroid game posted:

DO NOT fly into the hole you fools
But... most of the things I love are in holes. Me too though, I can't wait to try to fly into that hole.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes developer decisions baffle me. Who the gently caress thought, "we should play a 5 second audio loop over and over while the installer downloads 100GB broken up into a million files that each have to be downloaded and licensed and decompressed individually over 4 hours"?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
All I know is that I couldn't figure out how to tune the radio for the airport I wanted to land at. Wheels down right on the numbers but bounced and floated, got a warning about taxing too fast (while in the air), finally touched down and requested taxi parking, game crashed. Well I guess they'll park it for me! Was getting about 35-40fps in Tampa / St Pete on a 8700K + 1070 GTX + 16GB of RAM, is pretty sweet.

How do I "Adjust heading indicator [7]"? I pressed 7 and it did nothing. I tapped the little knob by the compass and it stopped popping up the message, but it would be nice if 7 did something. I don't have a numpad, do I need a numeric keypad to press 7?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Enos Shenk posted:

Big difference after removing the dumb default controls like twist-rudder (I have pedals, game) and that look around analog stick. The default rudder pedals sensitivity is ludicrously high as well, like I dialed it down to -25% before it felt vaguely usable.
Seconding the rudder sensitivity, zeesh. I am using the T.16000 throttle paddle bit for rudder and have it at -60% sensitivity and I think it could even be a little less. The elevator trim knob was like crazy too, the slightest touch would be too much.

Sapozhnik posted:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\logos
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\html_ui\Pages\Logos\Logos.js
Oh thank Glob for you. It is bad enough it takes 30 seconds after clicking PLAY before anything actually comes on the screen, but then oh watch these ads for a bit while we do nothing in the background.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Icedude posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to check out WDW, although it does show the age of their photos in that part of the world if the hat is still there at studios. Although my house is on there and it's a new build so I guess there's a wide variety
Well what else am I going to see taking off from the Internationally Renown (apparently) KMCO? I also saw the hat and was like how old is this?!

For those who want to go to disney world, the Magic Kingdom is due West from the center of the airport's area. Just keep going West until the expressway you're probably following dead-ends into I-4 and turns SW and it is 6 miles past that point. It is only like 15 miles total.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
When the ATC says to enter the traffic pattern from the left, they mean a left-handed pattern, meaning on my downwind leg the runway will be on the left? Not that it really matters but I'd like to do it right.

I was in a pattern for landing, got my clearance to land, and was coming in only to find that there was an AI aircraft sitting on the end of the runway ready for takeoff. Sure, the right procedure is to abort and go around, but I don't need that little bit at the beginning of the runway anyway so I just landed right in front of him. I checked the ATC log and yeah I was on the right runway so come on, AI ATC! Bad enough you just say CHSST instead of making words but at least don't try to full-duplex the runways.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I love that we live in the age of 3D printing and this TrackIR thing took like 5 minutes to google up, 10 minutes to print, and 30 minutes for me to overengineer the LED driver (buck converter set to ~4.7V). Works perfectly with opentrack and the pointtracker input with "freetracker 2.0 enhanced" output. Installed the 1.78GB SDK for nothin' I guess.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Cle Elum and Easton State are lighted, De Vere is not. The *L on Cle Elum means it's lighted part of the time or has pilot-controlled lighting (you click your radio 5 times in a row to turn it on), while a regular L means full-time lights.
God drat, Sagebrush. I think I've learned more from you and some others posting here in the past week than I have from hundreds of hours of flying in sims going back to FS2 on an Apple ][. Thanks for continuing to share your knowledge.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

And 11GB in game update. Yay!
Still no mute button on the NEEERRR, NEEEEER, NEEEEERRRRRRRR download progress screen though, eh? Oh and while you wait, let's also max out the GPU so that progress bar really renders smoothly.

EDIT: Ah geez, I just realized after waiting 5 minutes that I had to press the UPDATE button after I had already pressed any key to begin so now it is downloading.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 16, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

if you turn the music volume down to zero in the game, it doesn't play during the updates either. it only plays in the menu anyway so it's no great loss.
Do you ever get tired of being my personal MSFS hero? Ooh hang on there's 2 other tracks you can set the menu music to.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Garmin needs to sell a mockup version of the G1000 that just has the buttons and knobs and a space for an LCD screen so we can all have our G1000 sitting on our desks with physical buttons because argh I am just trying to set my target altitude ah gently caress now I am going down by 1000s instead of up by 100s because my head moved a millimeter. I wish I could bind a joystick button to "Pause opentrack" I guess. Or a MSFS hotkey for "G1000 takes up the whole screen and you can't move the camera", do we have that?

I flew St Pete to Lakeland VOR to VOR yesterday and my FPS was in the high 40s all the way through Tampa, but when I got to Lakeland (where there is not much scenery going on) my FPS was dropping below 15 and I touched down at 9 FPS. Plenty of RAM available, not much CPU load, 1070 GTX just running 100% and trying to keep up with the splendor that is Lakeland Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey that's exactly what I want, and almost exactly the price tag I was afraid it would come with! I may also try the "GlassCockpit To Sim" android app or similar.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can detach the G1000 screen to another screen but it only takes the screen. If it also grabbed the controls it’d be perfect.
That would be perfect, because I actually have 2x 7" LCDs on my desktop I use for single-board computer development I could plug in. I'll see if maybe moving it to another screen makes it easier, thanks for the tip.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Doesn't open track have a pause tracking button? Either bind it to a close keyboard button or use Joystick Gremlin to map the joystick button to it.
I did have a keyboard mapping for it but I didn't realize that opentrack could also use a joystick button. I thought windows had like a one joystick -> one exclusive application limit. It works just at the desktop so hopefully this works once MSFS is running (it takes like friggin 10 minutes to 'jump in' to test so it will have to wait). Joystick Gremlin creates proxy vJoy instances and I really don't want to have to start dealing with that, but I think this might work. Thanks for poking me to trying this.