Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Steam page lists in-app purchases. What are those? A la carte planes/airports?

Kinda tempted but some of the airports in the Premium Deluxe edition are ones that I'd really want, but lol if I'm spending $120 on that edition as an extremely casual simulator player who may not even break the old X52 out of storage for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So is VATSIM built-in at this point?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh drat, the Standard Version of the game is on Xbox Game Pass for PC, in case anyone out there doesn't want to drop 70 (or even more...) on a game that they aren't sure they'll enjoy.

Treating the Game Pass one as a demo I guess until I decide which of the more expensive versions to buy / until the Steam poo poo gets fixed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This installation process is certainly... a thing.

So the Xbox app lets you download the... launcher, I guess, at like 1 GB. As with everything else on my Xbox app, it installs to my D: drive which I use for games and which actually has space.

The launcher opens and asks me for accessibility options, which is great. Then I get an eternal loading screen after that. Several minutes later and no loading bar progress, I Alt-F4 and relaunch the launcher. This time it loads something, and I'm told that the game recommends I have the US English language package installed (keyword: package, which I'll come to in a sec). On this same screen it tells me to select a package install directory and that it's going to update a package. Logically I assume it's going to update the language package, right? After all, we are on the screen where it's telling me about language packages. So I go with the default directory, some %appdata% link on my C: drive, which doesn't have nearly enough free space for the entire game itself. And even though the path is on my C: drive, it shows my total available drive space as being 350 GB, which is what I have free on my D: drive. Hmm, okay. So I start the update.

And nope, it's trying to install the entire game to C:, which doesn't have enough free space for the game. There is no cancel button. I restart the app, and get an eternal loading screen again. I uninstall the launcher and reinstall it. I'm on an eternal loading screen again. I'm considering giving up and waiting a few weeks.

Edit: like, you tell me if this isn't counterintuitive. At any rate, I changed the drive path despite the confusing language and now it seems to be working fine, if just extremely slow.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 18, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Install was hanging at 31GB, restarted the client, now the updater has been saying "Please wait..." for about fifteen minutes.

Fantastic experience so far.

Edit: lol, and now I went from like 58GB remaining to 73GB remaining. This is great.

Edit: gently caress it, I'm not gonna sit here with this thing eating up 100% of my CPU for hours on end while telling me to Please Wait.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 18, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

https://twitter.com/olimould/status/1295636051017465856

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

beer_war posted:

Well yeah, the algorithm will always be optimized for 99% of buildings. Buckingham Palace is an edge case - it will probably always look like poo poo unless they have photogrammetry data or, even better, it's handcrafted.

But the AI does an impressive job on the 99%, so that is a pretty bad take.

I'm pretty sure the take is "you would think major landmarks would have gotten a quick once-over just to check if they were coming out okay". Considering Buckingham Palace is easily on like a top 3 list of poo poo people will wanna see in London.

I haven't seen it myself yet because the game still hasn't finished loving installing but people have said the same thing about DC missing things like... you know, the Capitol building.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

zharmad posted:

The Washington Memorial is now the only skyscraper in DC:

Ok that's fantastic

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Having issues with the third training mission (takeoff and level flight). In the C152 I have no issues reaching my target altitude of 5500 feet, but this little thing even at full throttle refuses to get above 60 knots at that altitude.

What am I doing wrong here?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So playing on an Xbox controller for about an hour has made me dig out my ancient X52 thats been sitting unused for a good ten years.

The rubber is NASTY. Any way I can fix this or do I have to write it off and get a new hotas?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Heh, almost all joysticks seem to be sold out in Germany on Amazon. I ordered a replacement setup for that old X52 and delivery is sometime between tomorrow and... end of September. RIP.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Where are screenshots saved for games in the Xbox Gamepass app?

I was doing a live weather flight earlier today (a little scenic jaunt from Newark Intl to JFK) and I managed to sail past the tip of Manhattan right as the sun crested the horizon and it was gorgeous even on low settings.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I got the Thrustmaster T.16000 kit that includes all three components (stick, throttle, pedals). I kinda expected the components to be able to daisy-chain into each other like the X-52 so that I only need to occupy a single USB port on my PC.

Can I just get a cheapo little USB hub and it'll work fine?

Edit: oh, I see the pedals can connect to the throttle by some weird RJ plug. So still the question stands, just for two USB ports instead of one (one for throttle + pedals, one for stick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mailer posted:

Someone please send me the secret location you people are getting these things.

I ordered mine mid-August on Amazon DE and I received it last week. :shrug: