Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So, a stupid newbie question but here goes: is there something special about the TBM vs the other planes? It seemed to be the default and a lot of people are talking about it, but I didn't get a sense of what it does vs the other planes. I've mostly been flying one of the single person prop planes around (the one with the LCD readout on the left and the LCD GPS system on the right, both right in front of you on the dashboard) since they seem nice and nimble and I can fly around low past buildings.

Aside from that, I really don't know what the difference between the specific planes are (except big jet, small jet, turboprop, prop, etc., as broad categories) and when to choose one over another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Timespy posted:

Well, what I personally like about the TBM is that:

1. It's faster than other small planes by a pretty big margin.
2. It's pretty fun to fly.
3. Great range.
4. The glass cockpit is a bit more complex than the G1000, but not as complex as the airliner FMCs (in fact I haven't figured out if it's possible to add a FP to the G1000 manually at all).

But YMMV.

On an unrelated note - has anybody been having any crashes while using OnAir? I've been flying every evening since the launch without any issues, but today I installed OnAir and tried to complete the tutorial flight twice and the game crashed both times.

Cool, that's very helpful, thanks! Sounds like I should spend more time flying around in the TBM.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What would be really awesome is a cold war era spy plane with the functions to take pictures of the terrain. I really want to fly the Lockheed U-2.

I am really loving excited for this game. I just wanna try out all these different planes and fly them around just gawking at the scenery. Let me get a U-2, a Concorde, a VTOL aircraft, I want to buzz houses in a SR71, hell let me fly around a 747 with a Space Shuttle strapped on top. I want it all!!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

For the life of me I can't understand why they disabled virtual navigation aides in the "fly solo" training mission. I took off, hit left, entered the traffic pattern, missed some mid-air objective, and then took another left and landed pretty decently, but I fail because I didn't do some part of it right, but it also doesn't show you (or let you enable the aide) where you were supposed to hit mid-air. Like it doesn't even give you the right altitude or GPS or something you were supposed to hit, how are dumb new flight sim players like me supposed to know :confused:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Hey uh, quick question.

Does anyone else trying the "Breckenridge to Mariposa" bush trip get started in midair, with your aircraft pointed straight down?

I tried the challenge before and I think it started me on the runway to take off that time, but now each time it's starting me in some weird death spiral hurtling toward the ground. It's like it's starting me from the position I was in the last time I tried the challenge.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I made a flight from Newark Intl to East Hamptons at night, live time and weather, in a TBM. I ordered a PS3 eye for that FaceTrackNoIR thing and I'm getting my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS back, and setting up my other monitor to show instruments on.

I think I became a flight nerd :(

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Simiain posted:

I had the same issue and currently the only sticking point I have with this game as a dumb new flight sim player is its objective system. The objectives all seem pretty finicky in terms of their 'hit-box' and if you 'miss' one then it seems to get stuck on that and screw up the rest of your flight.

Most recently I was doing a wonderful sunset jaunt from my part of North/Central Ontario down to Toronto City Airport. On this flight I got that MSF magic for the first time as the sun glistened over the lake below me and Toronto gradually hoved into view, beautiful!

After touching down twice (didnt use the proper landing pattern first time, away I go again!) I guess I missed my turn as I was taxiing(?) off the run-way because the objective said I had completed 'taxi to your destination' but offered no indication as to what I was supposed to do from there. I tootled around for a wee bit until I bumped into where I was supposed to park but the objective still didnt update even as the parking box turned from blue to green, I then found ANOTHER parking box that did update the objective, but I blew past it and it never showed up again. Consequently my objective was now 'switch off engine', but I had nowhere to switch it off. My first successful flight went unlogged.

Not the end of the world as I want to do it again to take some proper screenshots, and I'm sure its my fault, but its still a bit of a piss-off.

I agree, finicky is a good term for it. I did manage to beat that solo takeoff/landing training mission tonight, but it just seems hard to tell whether I met their criteria or not in the flight. I took off and landed just fine, but I missed some mark mid-flight and wasn't able to tell where/how. I think that's the main thing about the gameplay that needs work for me -- sometimes I can tell I'm doing something wrong, but it's hard to tell precisely how the thing is wrong and what I should do now that I did it wrong.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Does anyone have any good settings/tips/whatever for using FaceTrackNoIR with a PS3 Eye camera (facetracking, no IR)? I got one today (ordered it a day or two ago on ebay and came overnight, amazing) and briefly set it up and gave it a try over NYC and it was beautiful.

I've got the basics of it down (had to invert a few axes and mess with the curves) so I can reliably look around mid-flight, but I'll have to iron out some kinks, it seems a bit too sensitive and has little or no deadzone so I have to concentrate on keeping my head very stable when I want to do something like disable autopilot. I want to get it to a state where I can operate the controls in-cockpit pretty easily without having to disable the tracking and switch to fixed cameras.

Overall though pretty great experience for the ~$20 bucks spent.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i feel like i need a quick-reference image for my keyboard controls. having to open up the menus to find the one button i need to push is crap.

There's two I found on reddit that I've been using

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19nwF9bflrw1CMd26GWx1FKJpzAxJVL4e/view
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/idg8w1/ms_fs_2020_keyboard_shortcutsbindings/

Pham Nuwen posted:

You may have already figured this out, but here's a post for anyone who's having trouble:

There is indeed a golf course (Pine Canyon Club) right off the end of the Flagstaff airport runway, but that's not the one you want. You want the one down in Mund Park. Arizona is full of old people and therefore full of golf courses.

When you start the training session, it should be showing the NAVLOG window. This shows that you have two waypoints: #1 is the golf course, #2 is the Sedona airport.

Note the heading for the first point (163 degrees) and the ETE (6 minutes, 49 seconds). This means that if you leave from the Flagstaff airport on a heading of 163 degrees, you should reach that point in just under 7 minutes.

So take off, and (this is important) once you're up a bit, turn around and get yourself over the airport again. Now, just turn until your heading is 163 degrees and start cruising. Click "Start" at the bottom of the NAVLOG window to start your stopwatch. (yes I know I'm not quite pointing 163 degrees, sue me)

After 6 minutes or so, you should see the golf course ahead--it's huge, hard to miss, which is why it is used as a navigation point. Once you're over the golf course, you'll turn to 221 degrees, reset your stopwatch, and fly another 5 minutes or so to Sedona.

I understand most of this but the only thing I couldn't really figure out during the mission was a) where to find the heading in the Cessna (you've circled it but I didn't know how to figure out which instrument it was myself), and b) how to figure out degree bearings with the Cessna's heading meter thing that seems to use....well I'm not quite sure what it's showing.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 21, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

I'm not using the PS3 camera but I am using FaceTrackNoIR with a regular webcam and no LEDs. What I found helpful are four things: setting dead zones, lowering the curves, having an easy way to pause/resume tracking, and having an easy way to "reset" to the home position.

You can set dead zones by clicking on the curve line to get another point to drag around. You want your curve to be flat at 0 and only start increasing after your dead zone.

I found that the tracking would go wacky and put way more movement than I wanted or would ever need in a civilian plane. So, rather than let the curves increase to the maximum height at the end, I would flatten the curves near their end, as well. It kind of looks like a dead zone at the end of the curve. This reduces the amount of input your movements will provide. It prevents your person's head from doing a 180.

Finally, having easy controls to pause/resume and reset are key. I'm using my iPad as a touch controller for this via a free app called Touch Portal.

For what it's worth, I haven't gotten the headtracking to be as good as I want so there's more tweaking to do, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Thanks! I played around a bit after work and putting in a deadzone helped a lot.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Found a house-farm while flying around 2000 feet above ground

Also found this cool makeshift house-maze that got generated

Bonus points if you can figure out which state this is from the buildings:
California, northwest of LA on the way to Santa Barbara

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

FaceTrackNoIR users may want to check out using opentrack along with aitrack. I gave it a try last night and just now and it seems to work pretty smoothly, maybe smoother than NoIR, but I have to play around more and compare the two. I couldn't get the XYZ translations working nicely though so I had to disable those.

I also started mounting my PS3 eye on top of my monitor instead of below, that seems to help things out too.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Landing on tiny island airports is so scary. Such an odd feeling looking around and seeing nothing but endless ocean, and then a tiny island with a runway right at sea level on it. Just landed at Cat Cay Airport (MYCC) off of the coast of Florida, the runway begins with the water and ends with the water, you better not come in too low or you'll just descend right in to the ocean :stare:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...9.2750646?hl=en

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Man I had no idea that it was an Icon Halladay died in (RIP), that's crazy.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Hopefully what it does is give Microsoft a good reason to move forward with improving Bing maps stuff and doing more aerial scanning. They can market Bing maps through MSFS, and have another reason to improve Bing maps to also improve the game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

Why would you SIM as Spirit instead of Emirates?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I'm still new to flying but at this point I've had really good success with just setting the trim so I'm flying at a neutral attitude and going from there, no autopilot. I need to touch up the heading every once in a while, and you have to make sure you're not falling out of the sky every once in a while, but for just flying around it's worked pretty well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ephex posted:

Just had discussion with one of my best friends who is a pilot with Lufthansa and got turbo hosed by COVID:

Would people pay for flight lessons/sessions with him in Flight Simulator? Are there things like that already?

There's a bunch of youtubers who seem to be actual pilots making content for the game.

I would say he should definitely try, and also try out making videos or twitch streaming too, especially if he's already motivated enough from needing work. A lot of people would be interested.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Charles posted:

It's working again.
https://www.flightsimulator.com/september-10th-2020-development-update/
They link to all this stuff.

Also new & updated Marketplace content!

ah, the "fix everything" patch

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

And because their website is super confusing, the step by step process is:

- register a free account
- scroll down on the left sidebar to the "navigation" section
- select "digital charts"
- on the right side, under "full-featured enroute charts with current weather," enter your departure and destination (or you can just put the same canadian airport in both)
- when the page loads, set the background map option on the left to "sectionals-canada"
- under map layers, check or uncheck "TAC charts," depending on whether you want the detailed charts around major cities
- okay finally you can look at the nav canada VNCs

password max length is 8 characters, only alphanumerics.

who are these jokers?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

In the a320neo you can see the trim wheel spinning around constantly if you look down a bit. I guess that's the autotrim at work.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ickna posted:

Oh dear. Their rap sheet of previous games doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in light of how seriously people take flight simulators. Given the state of the game on launch and the hilarity of things that have been broken since, it seems like they might be out of their depth.

Huh what the hell, they're the ones who made Fuel? That was a neat game (aside from the gameplay) with a giant scale open world. I thought the studio went bankrupt after it came out though 🤔

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do I normally toggle on auto selection before I take off? If so, would I normally do it as part of starting up everything?

It's weird, I took off with a TBM 930 and noticed "AUTO SEL" in the alerts, I looked up and sure enough, Fuel Sel wasn't set to Auto, so I flipped the switch.

Took off on a different flight with a TBM 930 and it was already set to AUTO.

I can't remember ever having to manually flip these before :thunk:

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

Earlier today, I decided to take the Extra and fly it through the grand canyon, heading from KGCN up to page. Partway through the flight, I had to pause because I had to eat dinner and also do a zoom meeting for school. I am just now getting back and am ready to finish my flight. Apparently pausing the game doesn't pause time in the world, because I came back to this.

I was going 170 knots at the bottom of the canyon and it is clearly pitch black now. Do I continue flying just going off the 3D terrain of the VFD, or do I pull up into open air and then try to change the time back to day.

Turn off your targeting computer and use the force to fly your way out, coward.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

sigher posted:

Is there anyway to start a flight where you have to set the instruments in your six pack? In the check-list it says to set the Heading Indicator/Altimeter/etc but like... all those are always perfectly set within the game when you start up a flight so having to "set" it is kinda pointless and is becoming an afterthought for me. It'd be nice if you could start a flight where they're all off and you have to dial it in, I want the whole experience of take-off god drat it.

Do these things not change that much in a real plane? I also find it hard to believe that everyday that I fly in the game the atmospheric pressure is ALWAYS 29.92 at the ground level, I've never heard anything different from the ATIS.

If you're seeing 29.92 when you're starting on the runway for takeoff, I don't think that's actually set up for you.

Every time I'm about to takeoff or right after takeoff, I hit "B" to correct the Hg setting, and almost every time the altitude reading jumps because the Hg was set to 29.92 instead of whatever it should have been for the ground.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

sigher posted:

The local ATIS always tells me 29.92. Maybe it's hosed and doesn't change when tune in for the update?

oh, now that's weird, the ATC have definitely given me many different numbers 🤔

I haven't tried tuning an ATIS since the patch so maybe that's still hosed.

Are you getting live weather and wind otherwise? For the last patch I was somehow in a state of being patched but not being 100% patched, so the live features weren't working for me until I opened the xbox for pc app and it said it had an app update. Maybe make sure you have the xbox app and microsoft store and everything open for a while and check if they have updates (either for their apps, or for msfs2020)?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The savage cub/shock ultra for low speeds (90/80 knots). They're high wing for good visibility on the terrain below you. The passenger seat is behind the pilot, so you have equal visibility left and right. (Does this type of configuration have a name?)

The DA20 and DA40 are faster (120 knots) and have bulbous windshields to give you good 180 degree visibility. Low wing, so the terrain is obscured directly to your left and right. Tandem seat so visibility to your right is limited. The visibility is more for stuff in front and above you.

The Extra 330 is a single seat width with a full glass canopy. Low wing, but it's very twitchy, just tilt the wings to see the ground directly beneath you... or just fly inverted because it's that kind of plane. It's basically a WWII fighter with a lower vne. Cruises somewhere around 170 knots usually.

Anything faster is gonna be a commercial plane with visibility not taken into account as much. Ultimately for flying low and slow and seeing stuff below you, the Ziln planes can't be beat. That's sort of what they've been built to do.

The Cessna Grand Caravan also has pretty good visibility for being a turboprop with a higher speed than the prop planes. The TBM 930 has terrible visibility though, and the other jets/airliners are the same.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hi y'all,

Because there isn't much in terms of non-sandbox content, I've decided to write up a short mission. It practices some VOR skills, following the tutorial that Sagebrush and others gave a while back (I think there was also a very useful effortpost about this somewhere in this thread).

Let me know if this is fun and what to improve, I'd like to make a few more scenarios.

GOON SQUAD MISSION 1: VOICE OF FREEDOM
:911:

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

Your help is direly needed. The A-Team has requested your services as a former combat pilot to rescue a journalist from the clutches of the prison industrial complex. They want to silence her and we can't allow that to happen. The A-team has managed to bring her to a safe location in the desert, but they will not be able to leave with her for reasons that they will not share. They won't pay much, but they hope you haven't yet lost all your idealism and will pitch in for the Greater Good.

Your mission is to find the safe house, using the navigation instructions that Mr. Murdock of the A-Team provided. Land there and pick up the journalist, and bring her safely to nearby Big Bear City.

Mission preparation
:engleft:
Time: Crack of dawn
Departure: Twentynine palms (KNXP), runway 28
Arrival: Big Bear City
Aircraft: any plane with 2 seats and the ability to pick up 2 VOR stations.
Recommended: Cessna 152, Cessna 172 (not the glass cockpit variants)

Prior to takeoff, tune your two navigation radios so you can fly a course along their beams.
NAV 1: Palm Springs (PSP), VOR frequency 115.5, course 325
NAV 2: Hector (HEC), VOR frequency 112.7, course 215

Mission plan
Take off straight out from KNXP RW28. Gain enough altitude to pick up the two VOR beacons. Set your CDI to NAV1 (course 325, intercept and fly along that beam, out over the desert in northwest direction. Hint: if you fly in an autopilot-equipped plane like the Cessna 172, put your auto pilot into nav mode so you can monitor your surroundings).

After some minutes pass, you will overfly Emerson Lake. Continue. A little after that, the course of VOR 2 will intersect with your present course (both CDIs will be centered; hint: you should be over a narrow lake).

At this point, turn west. A few miles ahead of you, you should see three buildings in the desert - two side-by-side, one a little to the side. Land there (carefully!) and taxi up to the two buildings.

The journalist in distress will enter your plane (gameplay hint: increase the plane's weight accordingly).

With the journalist on board, take off and head South, towards a mountain range in the distance. Maintain 200 feet or less above ground to prevent being spotted by the goons of the military industrial complex who want to silence the journalist!

Behind the mountain range lie Big Bear City and your destination, Big Bear Airport. Be careful as you approach the mountains, as they will be too steep to climb over. Either approach them at an angle, or go around.

Land at Big Bear Airtpot.

Congratulations Agent Grover, today you have saved a voice of freedom in the fight against oppression! :hfive:

Gameplay hints
Click here for images of the two waypoints

Thanks for this, it was a fun trip. It took me a bit to figure out the VOR intercepting thing, but past that it was smooth sailing. I liked the final leg where you're flying low, and it gets from flat flat flat, to suddenly hilly, to mountains.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Merv Burger posted:

I've watched videos on YouTube from someone that flies an SR22 and he's shown shots of the screen with weather radar data on it.

edit: Not that I think that necessarily means it's all on-board in the real thing, I assume there's systems that transmit weather data by radio that avionics could receive?

Niko's Wings?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I've been playing since launch and now I'm p. sure I can land a cessna if I needed to.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

same

it might need some time in the shop afterwards tho

I'll land it and survive :smug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Shipon posted:

Got about 2 hours into the Japan tour when my game crashed out around Mount Fuji. What a shame.

Not as annoying as a few days ago when my game crashed on a KORD-KLAX flight as I was on the glide slope into KLAX.

Not at all helpful but I got through the whole mission without crashing, just putting out a data point that it at least works for some people.

You can potentially answer a question I had about it: did it save your progress like the bush trips do? or will you have to do the whole trip over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Weed Wolf posted:

I also had a Tour of Japan crash. No saves it looks like.

In addition, about halfway through the Tour of Japan, my center G1000 panel would deactivate (and take the Autopilot controls with it). Pretty frustrating.

Same, it kept doing it for me. I think it's that bug with live traffic where controls on other aircraft will affect yours.

I just got real fast at flipping avionics off and on and turning AP back on.