Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't really care about the airports because my hometown (Detroit) isn't included at all.

But

quote:

ah poo poo the 787 is a premium plane... microsoft is checkmating me so hard rn

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1288741123385692160?s=21

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1288751190109454336?s=21

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1288761293651030018?s=21

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
New video of all the planes and hand-crafted airports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZur7caBvM

I know we were making fun of the "big trees" guy earlier but when my city's airport (Orlando) showed up I could immediately tell the trees were way too big.

The people mover actually moves, though, so I'll forgive them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When I got my PPL 10 years ago I was taught about VOR and used it once for fun but everything else was GPS (or pilotage).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavLImNPL_8

Some observations: LA and SF look good. Pancake ghost boats are a little weird. I understand not being able to model those boats but couldn't they replace the satellite photos with the game rendered water?

Vegas looks great except at night where the lights are not as crazy as the real Vegas lights.

New York looks amazing.

DC: :lol: I guess the Capitol, White House, and Washington Monument aren't big enough landmarks for someone to make a unique model?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

lobsterminator posted:

It seems this is what Buckingham Palace looks like so it's not that accurate in even major cities.

A palace replaced by affordable housing. FS2020 really is the best game ever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wouldn't be surprised if they had done work on a 737 Max but then pulled it.

However I am sad they didn't include any small airliners like a CRJ.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmmi4yG-YlE

I think this person gets a little too nitpicky about the ground options... especially that the game automatically opens cargo doors when you ask for bag service.

HOWEVER! One thing about this video is that MY HOUSE is in it! When he first sets up to show off the landing he is flying over NW Orange county and I immediately noticed the roads around my house. I could even make out some of the business and then sure enough I could see (in the distance) my neighborhood and street.

Awesome.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Was it FS2000 that had the Concord?

I remember flying it a few times and not being impressed because it didn't feel fast that high up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This kind of thing may not be so easy. The devs' answer during yesterday's Q&A on the question about free user mods was really weird and confusing, but then again the question was phrased weirdly too (it seemed to be asking if users could put stuff on the marketplace). The dev answer seemed to indicate there won't be any SDK access for non-partners at all...? And that modability may be limited, with only MS-approved addons being functional. The dev ended with "but you'll be able to do custom liveries." Yeah, great. I dunno, maybe I misunderstood the answer. Very possible.

They said the SDK will be available for everyone.

Sounded like updates to default aircraft aren't possible because of licensing issues with the manufacturers. But they might add things to the default planes in future updates.

Edit: The Software Engineer guy also mentioned that you could update the default aircraft settings but the game would see it as a different aircraft. It sounded like the concern was people cheating challenges or multiplayer by modding a default plane (like making it faster). Liveries will be the only "mod" that the game will see as still being the default plane.

They also talked about the ability to tweak the plane's performance using in-game settings. So, for example, you could make the game's C172 fly exactly like your real life C172.

Some other news from the QA: They've watched every single streamer video and recorded all the bugs. He mentioned a lot of the time the bugs in the videos have already been fixed but the preview build wasn't the latest version.

The autopilot is super complicated because each plane is unique and different. Airbus AP system is different than Boeing but in FSX they were all the same system. So they make fixes to each one at a time. And sometimes updates on one plane break another but the AP team is their largest team right now working on updates.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 14, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
In the QA they also mentioned they contacted every airline about adding their livery. They said some airlines responded and some have other priorities right now but they want to add a lot in the future.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A T-38 would be cool too.

But one of the things they talked about in the video was that picking which aircraft to include had a lot to do with what they had access to in real life. Military aircraft (top of the line modern or retired surplus) are a lot more difficult to get access to than a Cessna or Airbus.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 14, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

sudo rm -rf posted:

the end of squirrel's stream where he was flying in florida among some scattered thunderstorms was just brilliant.

is it just me or does the autopilot look to be working better?

In the QA stream they said they noted every bug that the streamers had in their videos and a lot had already been fixed. They also said the AP team was the biggest team and working on a ton of fixes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Why aren't FS tutorials good enough to allow me to get my PPL in real life??? Microsoft :argh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

fuf posted:

The lack of place names on the map is annoying, as predicted. I can't find my home town.

Is there a way of matching the blue triangles with codes on the VFR map with real locations?

https://skyvector.com/

Real VFR maps can help you find VORs and other navigation landmarks near your house. If a TAC is available for your area that will provide even more low level detail.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I don't have the game yet but it's probably possible to program your house's coordinates into the GPS.

Otherwise you can try to navigate by following roads.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I took off in a 172 from the airport I got my PPL at. Flew over and saw my parent's house and my old high school. The house was mostly hidden in the trees as I expected but I could see my mom's garden and the cars in the driveway.

The school was almost perfect. They even had the odd architecture rendered correctly.

I'm going to need to fiddle with the controls and options. I started at -40% controller sensitivity and even that was too much. Then I need to memorize the millions of controls.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ugg. Live pause is causing my airspeed to die. Very annoying when you are trying to take cool pictures.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
WOW. That is my assessment so far.

I took my 172 up from a small airport near me and did a tour of my house and then the Orlando parks. Then I flew back to the airport and nailed the landing.

I had a huge grin the whole time because of how real everything felt. I could recognize roads, stores, landmarks, builds, everything looked great.

It just feels super close to real flying.

Some screenshots:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

AndrewP posted:

Wow, these are awesome.

Does your overall graphics quality affect your ground texture quality or is it purely based on internet speed?

I'm not sure but for reference I'm using these recommendations from page 264:

quote:

Display Mode: Fullscreen
Full Screen Resolution: Native Monitor Resolution
HDR10: *As desired*
Global Rendering Quality: Custom

V-Sync: Off
Render Scaling: 100
Anti Aliasing: TAA
Terrain Level of Detail: 100
Tessellation Quality: See settings analysis
Buildings: Ultra, Medium if necessary
Trees: Medium
Grass and Bushes: High, Off if desired
Objects Level of Detail: As desired / Not benchmarked.
Volumetric Clouds: Ultra, High / Medium if necessary
Texture Resolution: Ultra, (VRAM Permitting)
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Texture Supersampling: 4x4
Texture Synthesis: As desired / Not benchmarked
Water Waves: Medium
Shadow Maps: 1536
Terrain Shadows: 512
Contact Shadows: Ultra
Windshield Effects: High
Ambient Occlusion: High, Medium / Low if necessary
Reflections: 1080p - Ultra, 1440p - Ultra, high if desired, 2160p - Ultra, high / medium if desired
Light Shafts: Ultra
Bloom: On
Depth of Field: Ultra
Lens Correction: Off
Lens Flare: On
Use Generic Plane Models: Off

AI Airliners Traffic Density: 50 (0 if required)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As a PPL I suggest keeping Auto-Mixture on unless you really want a full sim challenge and only after you've gotten a lot of practice. For beginners just get practice flying around without worrying about it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For anyone who asked... The A320 autopilot still loves to wiggle.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I did a sunset flight from Orlando to Detroit. My flight plan got messed up during the approach but it was able to manually fly to the waypoints until I could pick up the ILS. I also forgot to turn off the auto-throttle so I landed a little hot but I didn't run off the end of the runway!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Steak posted:

has anyone had any luck doing cross platform multiplayer?

Only the PC version is available.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/08/18/take-to-the-skies-with-microsoft-flight-simulator-available-now/

To celebrate the return of the beloved franchise, all players will be able to claim a free “Aviators Club” livery set as a special thank you for being one of the first to take flight from now through Sept. 30. The set will be available starting Wednesday, Aug. 19 for this limited time in the in-sim marketplace, and includes Microsoft Flight Simulator-inspired liveries for all aircraft available in the Standard, Deluxe and Premium Deluxe Editions.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like im missing a feedback loop with the throttle. Is there a way to like, see what you're calling for? My physical throttle control obviously just goes 0 to 100% but there's no indication on the HUD that I can tell for what you're set at. I end up over-throttling and under throttling and just kind of guessing a middle ground.

What plane?

On a 172 you adjust the throttle to get a target RPM which is displayed on the top left of the right screen.

Other planes will all be different.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Furnok Dorn posted:

so its not just me and rudder controls are complete nonsense on a xbox controller right? they seem to be all or nothing?

Sapozhnik posted:

Add the camera drone as a plane tbh

Yes BUT there's no working rudder right now which is absolute bullshit.

Rudder is bound to the triggers but the triggers are treated as on/off despite being capable of varying degrees of input. So however lightly you press a trigger the sim stamps full force on the pedal and the plane jerks violently to the side.

It's usable for ground steering though since afaik you have to max the rudder to steer on the ground anyway.

That's too bad. It works on my PS4 controller. I can vary the pressure and the rudder behaves accordingly.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Argue posted:

Do you have something like DS4Win or whatever installed? I'm using a PS4 controller with the native Windows drivers and the rudders don't seem to be behaving properly for me.

Nope. I just plugged it in. Windows sees it as a generic wiresless controller.

Now Steam sees it as a PS4 and I am using the steam version of FS. I have no idea if that matters. It still shows up as generic in game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Steak posted:

i mean steam cross with ms store

As far as a know they are just different apps to launch the same game. Once launched there is no difference.

I'm logged into my Xbox profile in game with my Steam version.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

csidle posted:

Suddenly my ATC just skips. I get a short blimp of static and then it just skips the text. Only happens when on Azure mode. Anyone experienced this?

Yes. It's the Azure service glitching and not being able to do Text to Speech for that line.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zero One posted:

Nope. I just plugged it in. Windows sees it as a generic wiresless controller.

Now Steam sees it as a PS4 and I am using the steam version of FS. I have no idea if that matters. It still shows up as generic in game.

Follow up, here is how mine looks in game:

If I click on sensitivity there is no axis for the rudders but in-game they work perfectly as if they were on axis.

When I launch from Steam I do get a Steam pop-up in the corner saying it has enabled Gamepad support. Again, maybe that's what is doing it... maybe not.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's poorly named (in my opinion), but it's called rate. Theoretically it's assigned to the R key and then uses +/-, but holding the R key and hitting either of the +/- buttons on my keyboard did nothing. I ended up having to assign rate increase and decrease to their own key commands. As far as I can tell it just changes it, but doesn't display anything to tell you what speed you're at (presumably 1/4x, 1/2x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, etc.). That kind of makes it a pain to get back to normal time and I occasionally find myself trying to figure out if I'm a click off from 1x.

Oh I figured this out last night!

The Rate keybind says it works with +/- but if you try that it doesn't do anything. That's because +/- is also a keybind which is default assigned to Ctrl + and Ctrl -

So you can change the rate if you press R Ctrl +/-

But I also hate it doesn't say the rate in game. I ended up using my plane's clock to tell when I was back to normal time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I found a big hole to fly in!

You really feel the turbulence flying over the rim.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I flew over Lake Superior to Isle Royale. The crossing was fine, I was cruising just under the clouds.

Then it got a little scary.

Luckily the clouds cleared and I was able to land at the visitor center.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/icrc4c/psa_to_skip_the_intro_videos_and_logos_set/

PSA: To skip the intro videos and logos, set '-FastLaunch' as a launch option in Steam.

Set Launch Options

Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.

Under the General tab click the Set launch options... button. Enter the following : '-FastLaunch' (without the quotes)

Close the game's Properties window and launch the game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I will say after commenting on it earlier in this thread, they did make the trees at Orlando Intl a lot more realistically scaled for release.

So maybe they were just talking about handcrafted airports?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tater_salad posted:

That's the OMI saying if you are on Outside, middle or Inside of the runway.

To add... It's ILS letting you know how far from the runway you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_beacon

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

karma_coma posted:

Really dumb question, my g1000 shows my starting altitude above sea level even in Colorado so I start at like 4000 ft and calculate my altitude from what I remember at the airport . Is that just the way it is?

Pretty much. All flying is done by altitude above sea level because altitude above the ground can and does change by hundreds of feet in just a few minutes.

VFR maps and airport guides all list the airport altitude above sea level so you can take it into account when landing. Typically an airport pattern is 1000 feet above the airport's listed altitude.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought there’s an active pause option that lets you do exactly this.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought there’s an active pause option that lets you do exactly this.

There is also a real pause that is hidden. Since the active pause can ruin your flight.

It's not mapped to anything but if you change the key bind filter to ALL you can find it and map it. Also it's weird because you need to map both pause and unpause seperately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Zermatt and the Matterhorn