Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Bought the academic version of P3Dv2 today and was finally able to tune it about on par with FSX but it just looks so much sexier and also VOLUMETRIC FOG. West Coast flying just got a whole lot better. I love my FSX but I think it's about time I wiped my system clean and start over with P3D. I was having trouble getting some add ons to work properly (that claim to be P3D compatible i.e Airbus X extended) so once these and the "black screen" issue get worked out is when I'll say goodbye to FSX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Daimo posted:

Just my two pence on P3D... lots of bugs but very beautiful - my system is being used completely.

To start with it wouldn't start due to a .dll error (not having MS x86 visual C++ pack on my x64 system). Then it wouldn't start due to a DX11 conflict with Displaylink drivers.

Now I've had to disable HDR to prevent a black screen error, can't change airports without autogen textures corrupting, have to live without progressive taxi, and ignore the camera turning dead north when changing aircraft.

If you're on the fence I'd wait until 2.1.

I did a complete reinstall from scratch and removed FSX (RIP) and once I upgraded my video card, I tuned P3D so I get a constant 30FPS with any add-on I throw at it so far. It's just taking forever to get back to where I was with FSX but it's slowly coming along. She is indeed beautiful though and I'm hopeful for the future. I will also say that i've been fortunate enough to not encounter any other problem other than the black screen.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I hope this doesn't count at :filez: but could someone with FSX (preferably also Acceleration) send me all the default aircraft? I completely removed FSX from my system without realizing that PrePar3d doesn't have much GA. I'd put it back but now I'm afraid that it will gently caress my P3D over...

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

BookaT posted:

I was asked to post about this as I took this opportunity to install it. I just recently reinstalled my FSX setup and didn't want to deal with FSINN and Windows 8.1.

First impression? THANK loving GOD. FSINN was a chore in itself to install to get on vatsim. Now? It takes roughly 3 minutes to install a simple piece of communication software and you are flying in vatsim. I am serious when I say that FSINN and Squackbox were keeping people away from vatsim.

So if you have not been on vatsim for awhile, or just felt it wasn't worth it due to old lovely software, today is the day to start.

The new software looks hopeful but I use widefs to run FSINN on the media server in my basement so that my flight sim PC has one, simple job. From what I've read, it is possible to have the new client to run using simconnect but for voice comms, unlike FSINN, your headset needs to be plugged into the PC running the client. If they can figure out a way so that I can plug my headset into my flight sim PC, as it is now, then I'll make the jump in a heartbeat. I don't really have any qualms about FSINN though and I'm on Prepar3D v2.2 so if it's not "broken" why should I bother at this point? I'm still intrigued though.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
VATSIM is doing a "light up America" event where they're staffing every center for a good chunk of today and also a bunch of approach sectors and various other airports. Good time to get some comms practice in. If I didn't have work I'd be shooting across the country today :(

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

I'm pretty sure that DLL fix requires you to copy it from an XP machine, or from the Net. The version that ships with Win7 is the problem.

I had this problem back when I used FSX. There's a bunch of those dlls around on flight sim websites you can download. That did the trick for me. Now I just use Prepar3d :getin:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
If it's not LM, I'd be surprised. They've invested way to much time and money into it already to let someone else take control. I dumped FSX for P3Dv2 several months ago and refuse to go back.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
PMDG is really the only developer giving people poo poo about the supposed "no fun clause" and I think they're just out to make a buck. Every other major developer has moved on to P3D compatibility without any issues or charging people differently and the vast majority of FSX add ons are compatible with P3D without any work arounds. It was mentioned earlier but Prepar3d is NOT affiliated with Microsoft in any way. Lockheed bought the source code and developed a simulation around it. Granted it looks and feels a lot like FSX (ATC, interface, controls, flight dynamics, etc.), for all intents and purposes, it's not. There's no reason not to buy Prepar3d over FSX at this point. FSX is old and developers are probably going to start to move away from it soon and really just focus on X-Plane and P3D because they are only active titles with current development and support. Prepar3d is constantly being optimized by LM and on my several year old system, runs just fine. In V2 I believe, they unloaded a lot of processing onto the GPU which freed up more CPU resources and gave a nice healthy boost of performance for me at least.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

TehKeen posted:

FSX 64-bit.

Not yet. It's still 32 bit. It's FSX on steroids with better visuals, performance and stability. I can explain it in more detail if you're interested in mumble before Falcon BMS.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I've been on VATSIM since 2003 and I've never had any complaints about voice quality. What really helps, if you can get away with it, is to have 2 sound cards. One for aircraft and engine sounds going to desktop speakers and a cheapo headset for voice comms.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Kilonum posted:

I'm so used to the MD-11's FMS that using the Boeing FMS feels weird to me. I noticed this when I set up my flight from Miami to Monrovia in the 747 this morning.

The FMS on the airbus is a lot closer to the MD-11 than the one found in boeing aircraft. Don't get me wrong, I did my flight training in a 172 with steam gauges. Hell, we even had an ADF and I had to do a loving partial-panel NDB approach for my instrument rating. Talk about a challenge. Anyway, I love having an FMS. It makes navigating a commercial level aircraft so much easier while really increasing spacial awareness. To get my jollies and really keep my skills sharp, I'll hop in a small twin or single aircraft that's /A and navigate around the west coast every once in a while. I will say though that having a fancy FMS or GPS capabilities tends to do much more harm than good to people who aren't trained aviators. I don't know how many times I've heard controllers yelling at people for following what the autopilot had programmed into it because they don't understand the procedure that was set up.

For example: Take the loop 7 departure out of LAX (http://dtpp.myairplane.com/pdfs/SW-3/00237LOOP.PDF). Many times, the FMS will include a waypoint for the SMO160 radial to cross at or below 3000 but after that, it loops right to LAX VOR and proceeds on its merry way. Under positive ATC, if you turn towards LAX after coming off the north complex (24L), you're going to run right into departures coming off the south-side (25R). You have to actually LOOK at the chart and follow the correct procedure for the SID or you're gonna get yelled at/gently caress up/run into another aircraft. You fly heading 250 from runway 24L until ATC turns you or if there's no one on, fly that heading long enough to ensure you're not going to run into/cutoff anyone coming off the south complex.

The point is, the FMS is a fantastic tool if you know how to use it correctly and effectively. It is not a replacement for graphic or textual depictions of SIDs and STARs. Sorry, I just had to rant. I've seen too much asshattery on VATSIM lately. ZLA is my favorite area to fly around with some of the best controllers but it also is home to some of the dumbest people with a joystick and pirated copy of FSX...

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 13, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

aunt jemima posted:

You are, like, our target simmer demographic for PilotEdge.

I've looked into it but at the same time, I like to do cross-country hops in the A320 on Sundays (or whenever I'm off from work) and most of the time, there's enough ATC coverage. I just wish there were slightly higher qualifications for VATSIM pilots like they do for controllers. I guess at the same time, the community sort of regulates itself in that controllers and other pilots are willing to teach to a certain extent and if you learn and "get it," then you find it fun and stay around. Otherwise, you leave.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

LordPants posted:

Anyway, I was looking at the other 'cheap' PMDG craft the MD11, is that good as a step up from the Jetstream?

I love the MD-11. Granted, it's an older aircraft, I've flown it around the world several times now. It's sort of an annual tradition I guess. Visually, it's slightly less pretty than the JS41 but systems wise, it's just as complex. At least you don't have to worry about condition levers. Just push the throttle forward and go.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

jordguitar posted:

FSX to be released on Steam on the 18th. No price yet.

Bug fixes and multiplayer support via steam. Deluxe and Acceleration stuff is included. No graphical fixes because Microsoft is horrible.

Ditch that garbage and get Prepar3D. (But don't have fun.)

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Carenado's models and aircraft a really nice but I think they majorly disappointed with their Phenom. It uses the default autopilot and GPS which in my opinion, makes it pretty much completely unflyable for me. I hate that because everything about it is beautiful but the systems just suck. I really hope they customize their CJ2 and Hawker.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

Does fsx require you to mess with fuel mixes? I seemed to have issues with cesnas after 2k feet.

Also regarding controllers which is the saitek any better/worse than the Logitech?

There's an option to enable auto mixture but just start leaning that thing out until your RPMs come back again and just before they decrease again from being too lean, enrichen the mixture just a tad. You'll have to constantly adjust this as you climb/descend but that's part of the fun of flying!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

Are payware planes really worth it?
Id like to maybe pick up a beechcraft 1900 but drat 30 bux? Fsx is 25

Yes. Especially from companies like pmdg which can cost over $100.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Elenkis posted:

Speaking of PMDG and prices, this is from the P3D development update they posted yesterday:

Sub $200...

How is it that EVERY other developer can offer their payware products at the same prices for both FSX and P3D yet PMDG insists on charging at least double on the basis that P3D is "not for entertainment purposes?" It really just sounds like a whole load of garbage if you ask me...Yes, PMDG makes great aircraft. I have the 737, MD11 and JS31 for FSX but their business model just seems ridiculous and I'll probably never end up buying one of their P3D (my main sim now) products because their prices will be astronomical for the average consumer.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Vahakyla posted:

Umm I just too this screenshot of FSX.

FSX: So bad and out of date, they'll pay you play it.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

sellouts posted:

your flare is just a little early man, give it about 3 degrees pitch up at about 20-30 feet (as long as you are at a reasonable rate of descent)

Also, just cut the power over the threshold with the 757 because she'll want to float forever. I believe a Delta pilot told me this when were chatting some time back.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

New computer (mostly) and fresh install of windows 10, I think now is the time to get back into some flight simming, and finally use the hundreds of dollars of peripherals I have collecting dust

Has there been any progress at all on a new Vatsim client, or are we still stuck using the same thing from 1995?

Also what is the most recommended payware aircraft for P3D?

Aerosofts a320 series is awesomely fantastic with billions of repaints and user mods. Plus, they have the crj ng series coming soon too.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

Just got Microsoft Flight Simulator X reinstalled. I played around with 2004 a ton as a high schooler, but X never worked well on my old computer. Today though, I'm an adult with a new joystick!

All the cool kids play Prepar3D now.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Forums Terrorist posted:

It is possible to really fancy up FSX/P3D if you have the cash or keep an eye out for sales.

I have Activesky, FSUIPC, WideFS, a bunch of add-on scenery and aircraft plus peripheral hardware. I don't even want to know what I've spent on FSX/P3D over the years. It's gotta be close to a grand at this point.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

lobsterminator posted:

Many developers are hesitant to even support Prepar3D properly because they are a minority compared to FSX and thus not worth the extra effort.

I think that it's just the opposite of this. Most developers are embracing Prepar3D because of constant updates and further expanding capabilities of the platform. I'm guessing you'd be hard-pressed to find a developer who isn't supporting P3D because that's certainly where the market is going. LM is listening to user feedback and tailoring their sim accordingly.

It's not really fair to say that there aren't any GOOD, NEW flight sims out there, either. While I haven't tried FSX: Steam, both P3D and X-Plane are light-years ahead of what Microsoft left off with in FS:2004 or even FSX and the addon community has always been pushing the limits of what their platforms allow.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Signed up for GOON AIR. username is neion

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Fun fact: I simmed from LAX to Tokyo Narita yesterday with a 777LR. It was about 11 hours.

Unfun fact: I did it all at 1x time.

You're doing it wrong if you're not at 1x.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

So I cant find the DCS thread but I accidently did a button in the main menu and now my screen looks like:

:smith: I did a complete re-install but nothing works, any ideas?

Did you try hitting shift+enter to enter windowed mode and back?

Also: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

It's apparently stock FSX with a few tweaks a new UI and OrbX.

Ha-ha it also apparently has the same airport and navaid DB as FSX. Civ sims will be stuck in 2006 forever.

You know you can update that right?

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 25, 2016

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Join pilot edge and start with the vfr courses. They tell you line by line what to say and how to do it.

Then start ifr courses.

Stay away from ifr if you're looking to eventually do your real pilots license. It'll get you into bad habits.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 29, 2016

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Free parking? Sign me up.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Active Sky for sure. I have a lot of payware airports that I frequent (KLAX, KSAN, etc) and scenery for the west coast as well. Scenery would be the next IMO but I'm sure other's will be able to provide more suggestions.

Because I run P3D and like to smash my dick in a door on VATSIM, I also have the estonia migration tool, FSUIPC and widefs and probably a whole host of other poo poo needed just to hack up 12 year old software to fry prane.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
When I first started flying on VATSIM, I joined a VA. I haven't been apart of one in about 10 years and I've never looked back. I fly airline routes all the time but I'd rather just do my own thing at this point. I don't really see much of an advantage of being apart of one unless it was for military ops.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Idk, after that helicopter went down on the bin laden raid, there are obviously designs in use that very few people have ever seen. Maybe the Comanche also exists in secret.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Even if they do release a x64 version of P3D, it's going to break every addon until they patch them.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
After watching that video, I hope that happens to him IRL. I couldn't stand watching much of that..

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

aunt jemima posted:

I know this channel has a couple different people that host, but christ the guy on there right now has no idea what he's doing. He claims to be a CFI real-world and is *struggling* to fly a basic pattern in a 172. 30 degree pitchup after a go around, crossing the runway threshold at 300 feet AGL, referring to his airspeed in "miles per hour", etc.

But he does have a dope flight suit I guess.

Haha. I watched a "short field takeoff" and he completely botched it. That dude definitely has no idea what he's doing. He didn't apply full power before releasing the breaks, he over rotated, never mentiond ground effect, didn't stay in it either, didn't mention Vx or climb out on it. SAD!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

hogmartin posted:

This is probably a pretty simple question, but what's the difference between the 'course' and 'heading' selectors on an autopilot? When I started playing FSX years ago, 'heading' was the only setting that would turn a plane in a particular direction and keep it there, so I just never messed with 'course' or bothered to learn what it was for.

Continuing from that Ferret said, in regards to navigation and how it's done, "course" is used to set a radial to track off a navaid whether it be a VOR, ILS/localizer, or GPS fix over the ground. Without a navaid, you cannot fly a course, the airplane has no way of knowing where you want to go without relating it to something. A localizer and GPS are a bit different than a VOR though. VORs are easy. There are 360 radials you can track (to or from) the station and if you want to track one of them, say the 180 radial inbound and you're approaching it from the south, you just put "180" on your course selector and follow the OBS with a "TO" indication and keep the needle centered. There's quite a bit more to it than that but there's a very basic and general summary of VOR tracking. With a localizer, you can only track one radial so, if you have its frequency tuned into a nav radio, no matter where that course selector is pointing to, you're going to see where you are in relation to it on the OBS (within so many degrees or else it will deflect full-scale). I'm still pretty new to GPS stuff but from what I gather, when you go "direct to" a fix, the DTK indicator automatically tracks that "radial" again regardless of what your course is set to on the OBS. That's how it works with the GNS530 and the OBS we have in the plane I fly, anyway. With GPS and localizers, setting your course has everything to do with situational awareness and nothing to do with functional navigation in terms of tracking.

e: now that I think about it, you actually can "track" a heading without a navaid but it does require some special equipment like a GPS or INS or something. I know most commercial jets have a function on the autopilot that allows you to change from HDG to TRK. When switched over, it will actually "track" a heading and compensate for wind. Usually, you see it on a DP or STAR though where after the last fix, it tells you to "Track XXX " and expect radar vectors to final.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
"But..but, FSX is still a relevant platform for flight sim, right, RIGHT?! Why aren't you developing addons for FS2004 as well!? I love my dead, gay sim."

It's over guys, just move on. 90% of the FSX addons are p3d v3 compatible and it sounds like a pretty good chunk should work with v4 out of the box. The more simple ones at least. There's no way you can tell me the major developers haven't had v4 for months now. They knew it was coming and I'm sure they'll adapt accordingly. Most have indicated that they'll offer free update for v4 as well.

STOP BUYING ADDONS ONLY FOR FSX AND STEAM.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I have it but I haven't installed it yet. I"m waiting for a few more addons to be compatible before I make the move, mainly AS16 and then I'll probably commit 100%. Early testing by others seems to indicate a performance increase but as with anything, it's system dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

have you considered the thread you are posting in?

there is someone in here who flies real-time transatlantic commercial flights for fun

Transpacific. Multiple times. 1x :getin: