Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Insert name here posted:

I was laughing for a good five or so minutes afterwards because I totally didn't expect my plane to just spontaneously explode. I'm glad I had enough foresight to hit the record button to capture this moment.
Yeah, while it's pretty good in other areas if you fiddle with the difficulty settings, SF2 doesn't do a whole great job with belly landings. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Falken posted:

What title is that? One of the "wings over ____" series? I loved Wings over Europe, but that was a few years ago.

Have an old-rear end video of me landing an F4 phantom with a section of wing absent. I have no idea how this didn't explode on contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8j_pGfRjjI

Also, it got alot of negative votes because people thought they were going to see a real F4 land without a wing.
Close. Strike Fighters 2, which is basically just WoX with Vista/7 compatibility and slightly better graphics.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's a separate desert storm mod, but I think that one would be harder to merge.

There's apparently a Korea campaign somewhere but I've never been able to find everything for it.

But yeah, ground attack is possible. Get the Campaign Editor DLC and fly a TU-22 Backfire. Win every mission by lobbing a nuclear cruise missile at your target from 50KM.

I once tried a strike mission with a nuclear equipped F101. Destroyed the runway I was supposed to bomb...and everything in a five mile radius.

Instant Medal of Honour :911:
I've since gotten rid of the screenshots from it, but I once did a mission in a Tu-95 carrying a Tsar Bomba. I missed the airfield by like a kilometer and a half but still destroyed everything there and remotely nearby.

I was flying as high up as I could under that heavy of a load and still got caught in the blast radius. :ussr:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Megadyptes posted:

the 1st generation of SF games had it (the one that's available now on steam) but it was dropped for the second gen :(
I think I read that that's because there were only like five people who ever used it. Which is too bad, because it's pretty much my ideal flight sim for realism vs arcadey, whether vs AI or vs other people.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Hollenhammer posted:

Can someone tell me about Strike Fighters? It's linked in this thread but the dev website is confusing and sort of hard to navigate.
Youtube videos don't seem representative either, it's really hard to tell
It's nothing amazing, but it's still fairly solid. You can customize the amount of realism separately for flight model, ammo use, fuel use, crash damage, and so on, and with them all at max realism it's almost like a less-spergy DCS, while with them all set to easy it's pretty arcadey. The default planes tend to be less manoeuvrable ones like the F-4 and F-105, but later expansions have things like F-16s that are more useful in a turnfight. There's also a ton of mods for it that add new planes of varying quality.

It's not without its quirks, though. The AI, for example, always uses the medium-realism flight model, so if you use the more realistic one, it'll always be able to turn more tightly than you in the same airframe. There's a good LP of it by SelenicMartian here and he does a good job of pointing out its foibles when they crop up.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Also one of the mods adds a Tsar Bomba under one of its official names.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I've since gotten rid of the screenshots from it, but I once did a mission in a Tu-95 carrying a Tsar Bomba. I missed the airfield by like a kilometer and a half but still destroyed everything there and remotely nearby.

I was flying as high up as I could under that heavy of a load and still got caught in the blast radius. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

DrankSinatra posted:

At this point, what's a good fixed-wing combat sim to start with? I'm new to flight sims, and I want to learn with a fairly basic [non-HOTAS] stick. They all look really neat , and I have a tolerance for learning spergy poo poo. [Admittedly, there's a huge difference between, WWII and modern aircraft, so this is kind of a super open-ended question.]

Also, it seems like there are a lot of good fixed-wing sims right now, but I'm a little sad that there doesn't appear to be a decent Apache sim from the past decade or so.
I don't think it's on Steam, but Strike Fighters 2 is my go-to recommendation. Cold War fighters with customizable difficulty options for fuel use, damage model, flight model, etc, and a shitload of mods.