Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Man, the one thing I hate about this game is how all my favorite weapons and skill trees tend to be kind of terrible or at least mediocre. Knuckles and daggers are the big draw for me when it comes to Fighters, but everything I've read points to dual sabers being better in the vast majority of situations. And I love the ice techs and skill tree for Forces, but ice is kind of pathetic compared to fire, lightning, and light while the skill tree is just terrible in practice.

And yet I'm still craving myself some goofy space elf anime game. I'm going to wait to see how badly Sega botches E3 before I get on, but yeah, I'm about ready to just give in and go back to the Japanese server.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Xeroma posted:

While I agree that ice technics are kind of a joke compared to fire or lightning, if anyone tells you Knuckles are bad they're out of their mind. They're a lot more mobile than Double Sabers[step attack cancels, son], have the best crowd control of any Fighter weapon thanks to Straight Charge being insane, and do pretty darn respectable damage in their own right. They do pretty much require their Gear to be any good though, so keep that in mind.

Twin Daggers are kinda situational, you wanna use them to hit specific boss weakpoints more than anything. Stuff like the horn on Vol Dragon's back, or Quartz Dragon's wings, or Zeshrayda's back cannons. They're not BAD for fighting normal enemies with, but their damage is comparatively low put next to the other Fighter weapons.
That's good to hear. My biggest concern was basically how, back when PSO2 was first announced for the West, Hunters were at a state where you were basically worthless in a party, would die more often than everyone else, do way less damage, and probably not even get a chance to hit things that weren't bosses. I really don't want to have to deal with that, or the alternative of just spamming one stupidly overpowered photon art over and over again.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Hildebear Workshop. CAST Macrame Association. Dark Phalli. Some sort of reference to illicit CAST-Mag relationships.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Welp, I couldn't wait and I'm getting back into the game again. How costly are the female butler gear outfits right now?

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 7, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Right-o, got my character on the spreadsheet now and I'm in the game.

I, uh, can't help but notice leveling is insanely fast now! I jumped four levels without even setting foot in a mission.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

There's a not insignificant chance that we won't see any new information on PSO2 in the US until 2014. If ever. Unless they have a super surprise announcement, we're definitely not seeing it at E3, going by their own E3 info.

Also definitely digging the free character slot. Braver sounded kind of stupid to me, and katanas still don't have my interest, but the bow does look pretty neat. It looks like female dewmen kind of get the shaft, stat wise, but meh. I'm debating whether to make a Male Newman Techer so I can remake my old PSO character, Fabularus, or whether to just make a female dewman braver/gunner.

On the talk of defense: I really wish they'd balance some of these stats. Dex is completely useless to everyone because criticals barely improve damage output. It's also useless for equipping any decent equipment which is the most important part of any character's effectiveness. Defense is similarly stupid, but made even worse in that female characters sacrifice HP, a useful stat, for a completely insignificant amount of defense, often in only one category. The end result is that classes like Hunter, which are supposed to be durable, can take only one more melee hit that a force, and only because of their bonus HP. Skills like Guard Stance also exist solely as a barrier to other skills that don't effectively weaken the character.

It's probably the biggest problem I've had with this game since the closed beta. Sega's idea of balance is really bizarre and there's a ton of stats and skills which only serve as a pitfall to completely gimp inexperience players. I don't even know what they were thinking putting two skills that cure completely trivial status effects once a minute at the end of the Guard Stance tree. They really need to go balls out in fixing that poo poo. Significantly increase the defense given by every source so that it keeps on par with the monsters the average player of that level would fight. Make criticals deal bonus damage to weakpoints and deal damage as if they're hitting a weak point on any other part. Fix everything about ice technics and the ice skill tree, make more monsters that are weak to wind and dark but not fire, and holy gently caress remove or fix all those other worthless skills.

Edit: also make wand gear make sense. Blowing things up by tapping them with your magical girl wand is amazing but then the execution is so counter-intuitive that it renders it situational and underwhelming.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 10, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I know, right?

My eyes are down here, buddy!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I think it's safe to say at this point that, even if it does come out in English, it's going to be a disaster.

I want to say I've never seen a company so loving bad at communication and marketing but then the XBone exists.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Tengames posted:

Sega has put out some statistics about the game after its first year,ranging from percentage of players that used ____ class, to most commonly used photon arts and techs, all the way down to player character boob sizes.

edit: whoops forgot to close url tag

Who'd have guessed that Deadly Archer is the most used DS skill?!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Can you link me to where he says this? I'm curious now. I mean I could definitely see this happening, and if so, it would be nice for Sega JP to support western players then.

Yeah, I've never heard that. Not that it matters since if SoA would have actually loving communicated then the push to fan translate PSO2 wouldn't have been such a serious focus for the community.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Well that's rather depressing. Looking up boss fight videos with different classes, and when I looked up Techer, I got a video of a Techer fighting Fang Banther/Banshee except they spent the whole time using a Dual Saber with Deadly Archer.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Wands have awful S-ATK and mediocre T-ATK, make casting take longer than rods, and the gear for it is nonsensical. It's a decent melee attack that you charge by... charging spells, something that's stupid to do in melee and takes a lot of time.

Also their skill tree is terrible and only Dark spells aren't completely overtaken by Fire and Lightning spells. Anything that's weak to Light and Wind is also weak to the stronger, faster, and easier to build for Fire or Lightning spells too.

Techers are a great idea completely hosed by Sega's refusal to even consider whether something is remotely balanced when they haphazardly slap it into the game.

Edit: Yeah, I haven't played Techer yet, and I misremembered some things about it.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 5, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Also, having played Gunz Online, animation canceling makes have 'Nam flashbacks.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

May as well get in now, seeing as the NA release is on indefinite hold. We have 90+ people in Nol Vacancy, and there are a sizeable group of pubs who speak english.

Most of those pubs are people you will wish you didn't understand.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Well, that's what Jeff Gerstman hinted at, right? And he actually got in touch with some SoA people.

All they told him was that it was still delayed. The fan translation thing was just a guess on his part, and he explicitly said this.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Stelas posted:

Sorry, I meant more if I'm usually on GMT, are there going to be people around? Or is it largely EST/PST?

I'm EST but my sleep scheduled is hosed so I may be on at any hour of the day. Usually play late nights and early mornings, though.

Also, now's a good chance to get into it, what with all the free poo poo we're getting for Ep. 2. Everyone gets a free character slot and a free skill reset on the 17th and it's basically non-stop events leading up to it.

Emalde posted:

So that whole thing about never playing alone is so critical.

Honestly, I kind of like playing alone. Multi-Party areas can be really fun, but boss fights are so much more satisfying to solo or duo. It's just plain hard to go toe-to-toe with a boss in a party because the skill effects make it hard to really see what's going on. It's especially bad against smaller bosses like Personas where you literally cannot see them in Multi-Party areas because all the special effects wind up being bigger than they are. And it one shots me with some of it's attacks...

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 10, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I'm all prepared for Support Partners now.

Anime Gary Busey is ready for action. To bad he can't default to the "I bit someone's ear off" grin while keeping his drooping brows.

Also, hellooo buff to the Ice skill tree...

Edit: and a buff to Wands...

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 12, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Edit: late to the punch.

That said...

Protocol 5 posted:

The Hunter and Fighter skills seem pretty poo poo, though Massive Hunter might be decent if it isn't buried in the Guard Stance tree.

Adrenaline could actually be good for TE/FI. Would save a lot of PP from keeping buffs up.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 12, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

It seems pretty useful to me as a means to boost single-target DPS for a short period of time. You're not going to be able to use utility spells, but during boss fights it's not like Zondeel is going to matter much, and you can always have a few dimates on hand if you gently caress up.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

They definitely seem to be trying to build synergy with Te/Fi. With the Wand Reactor, Shifta Advance, Adrenaline, Wise Stance, PP Slayer, Chase Advance, and Wand Lover, I could see that combo actually being pretty powerful. It would make the lack of PP regenerating skills not really matter on Te/Fi.

Edit: That said, I really wish they'd make freeze apply to bosses, especially the ones that can already be psuedo-frozen, because then the bonuses to the freeze tree might actually be pretty interesting to take. The only times I can see them being useful otherwise is during Vol Dragon and Chrome Dragon when they summon the mobs around them. Or clones, I guess.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 12, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So, in lieu of my plans to make a Charles Barkley Support Partner going down the drain because the bald hairstyle is almost as much as a rappy suit right now, I suggest we set up an all Surprise Dunk Time Attack or Falz run.

The darkers can take our cities but they can never take our jam.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Man robots can be pretty snazzy but you're not going to have much in the way of options. Lady robots have way more options but most of them involve mechathongs.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Thanks. A lot of the preview images I saw made the male casts look really square and dumpy-looking, so I'm assuming they eventually get to become more pointy and interesting later on?

What I saw of the female casts generally looked cooler, except for the part where the anime girl head on all of them looked kinda jarring and ridiculous.

All the male cast parts are listed here.. The special costumes can also be worn by non-casts and casts alike, in case you ever feel like being a giant rappy or a robobutler.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Oh wow, the new Ice tree skills are all at the very bottom of the tree. And it's still entirely useless for boss fights.

Segaaa.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Tengames posted:

My favorite thing is the part of the trailer showing off the new techs, has a force doing 9 whole damage per tick of nabarta
on an enemy weak to ice.

edit: no wait sorry im wrong. Its 5 damage, at level 30.

Also it doesn't benefit from skills that boost charged techs. :v:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So Fo/Te and Te/Fo are officially the most insanely broken classes in the game now. I know Sega is bad at balance but Namegid is a bit much.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

It kinda sucks. I mean, they almost had something resembling balance going on. A decent buff to Techer and Gunner would have made all seven classes pretty well off. Some serious tweaking with traps, a boost to most of the PAs and Technics to put them on par with things like Deadly Archer, an overhaul of the Ice tree, an overhaul of the Guard Stance tree, and a bit more variety in elemental weaknesses and enemy behaviour would have made things really well off.

As of now it looks like Fighter and Hunter are trash, Ranger is a weak shot slave, Gunner is kinda decent?, and Force and Techer are the only classes you should ever main.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 17, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Jowy posted:

On another note, the new knuckle PA Backhand Smash is loving hilarious. The range is poo poo (gee what a surprise) but the damage it does is just silly. It comes out pretty goddamn fast and I can just punch a crab in its weak point for a good 30k and oneshot them, so good riddance. Of course, it takes a lot of PP (45) and again, lovely range so it's not the answer to every problem, but it's fun to use.

Knuckles are the answer to all problems.

Also, I'm guessing Te/Fi will still be superior to Te/Br because of Wise Stance's larger bonus compared to Weak Stance? Not to mention the lack of synergy with the rest of the Braver skills.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 19, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Adrenaline is bad. Don't take it. It doesn't actually increase Shifta/Deband duration, just reduces the amount of ticks you need to reach max duration.

Also apparently Te/Gu is also hilariously powerful since you can flip and then cast Namegid for twice it's damage.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Freeze as a mechanic flat out needs adjusting. That you need to take a skill at the end of the Ice tree for it to work right is ridiculous. At least let it cause a time-based slow effect on enemies as well, including bosses, and let that slow effect trigger Freeze Ignition. Double or triple Freeze Ignition's base range and damage while halving its cooldown, or leave the damage as it but let it inflict a Weak-Bullet like status that doubles incoming ice damage for a short while. Photon Flare and all it's upgrades need to be percentage damage, halve the cooldown, or also add like a 35% damage reduction instead of costing the user health. If nothing else, the latter would make Hu/Fo a seriously effective tanker and it would add some cohesion with Freeze Ignition.

If Ice is supposed to be a crowd control tree, then that control actually needs to be worthwhile. If Ice is supposed to be a burst damage set, then Freeze Ignition needs way more range and better damage than even Namegid for its point investment, and the rest of the tree needs to be built around supporting that. Instead it's like this weird, psuedocontrol set where it completely sacrifices any real damage or survivability to make Diggs slightly less aggressive.

Other trees have similar problems of not really having any sort of clear idea behind them, or a refusal to actually make the tree good at the role it's meant for. They're so bizarrely hesitant to make, say, the Ranger Trap tree capable of doing any real burst damage (the original use of traps) or filling any real role what-so-ever. It's like they realized the Weak Bullet tree was insanely overpowered at the start and suddenly became terrified of making any Ranger skills good ever again.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Man, in five CBBs tonight, I got zero of the Quartz Dragons I was looking for. I did get eight rare items and four rare bosses, who dropped 6 rare skills, though!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So apparently Zanverse adds a chance to deal 30% wind damage to every attack in its area of effect. A Wind/Light techer build is sounding really tasty right now.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Busey is ready for action.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

This game is pretty great.

Also, Schu, I think I've found your long lost sister:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Creepy bunny-man and my hip-grinding Herb, immortalized in time.

Anyway, anyone know a relatively stationary enemy I could test knuckle combos on? I'm thinking Big Vardha, but the standard knuckle combo moves you forward so it slowly pushes you through its core. Also gonna need to figure out how to get Fraps working decently in PSO2...

But yeah, lately I've been using a 1 hit->dodge-1 hit-dodge combo with knuckles since it keeps you stationary while attacking and lets you largely ignore things like Banshee/Banther's roar, but I'm curious to see how the actual speed holds up compared to a 1->2->3-dodge and regular 1->2->3 combo. It seems to cancel out the hitstop but that only matters if the dodge animation itself is faster than it.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Man, it is weird jumping back and forth between PSO2 and PSP2/PSP2i. I keep trying to play PSP2 like PSO2 and dodge the very instant an enemy makes an attack but the timing is completely different and dodges aren't something you can spam. That said, I'm totally missing all the weapon types that didn't make it into PSO2, like the Axe and Laser Cannon, as well as how diverse the content was.

Not missing the story at all, though :v:.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Chark is the only mag I need in my heart. :colbert:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Well, I guess Nabarta is better than, uh, rod bonking things?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOora8fzTE
If Freeze was actually a worthwhile status effect it could almost be a good crowd-control spell, except it breaks the freeze before it even has a chance to provide a benefit. :v:

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Grinded like hell for the last two weeks, nothing to show of it. The drop rates in this game are flat out offensive and it feels like the moment you hit Very Hard you just slam into a brick wall where any meaningful sense of progression is totaled. Not only am I totally burned out on PSO2, that poo poo burnt me out on video games in general.

Segaaa.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

The problem is, with levels being so few and far between, 10* weapons are the only progress left now. Nobody does ExQs because they suck and it takes like half an hour to plow through any of the remaining content. PSO2 is built on loot-based progression except you can't actually hunt any specific piece of loot because every last decent weapon has a 1/10,000+ drop rate.

I've gotten 2 10* weapons since I started playing an neither were for my class. I can't sell them unless I pay money, I can't trade them for something I can use unless I pay money, I can't even use them unless I pay money because my mag isn't built for that stat! It's gone from something I really enjoyed to something that just reminds me why the only satisfaction I get out of games anymore is breaking them.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Level 53. CBB caps at 50 and by 45 that experience is barely noticeable. I basically only get decent experience from BR, Falz, and Nab EQs.

• Locked thread