Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

Majin posted:

Kinda had the same question. I'm one of the unlucky that found out about this game too late to get in on the kickstarter so I went with the Slacker option.

Anyone else do that and receive any kind of confirmation other than a Paypal transaction number? Starting to get paranoid something will get borked and I won't get my alpha access!

You're fine. Cryptozoic decided not have their own confirmation beyond the paypal one, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am so ready for the alpha so I can stop obsessing over trying to get a hearthstone key.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, so I got the $20 tier which reads: "SQUIRE TIER = 2 Starter Decks (your choice) (20.00 value). 10 Booster Packs (20.00 value). Kickstarter Exclusive PVE Card: Lady Cassandra. HEX MMO TCG beta invite."

If any of you guys want this off me for 20 bucks, shoot me a PM or an email at bigboswell at gmail dot com. I just don't think I'll end up playing it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

nerox posted:

I am so ready for the alpha so I can stop obsessing over trying to get a hearthstone key.

Hearthstone is super rad but it's kinda bare-boned so I'm craving hex even more. Card Hunters wiped all the account too so there's card based dungeon crawler shaped hole in my heart.

Niedar posted:

Well, I am loving the fact of an alpha with all the cards and tons of platinum to draft with for a few months because I am not experienced with mtg or any other tcg, only having watched people play mtgo on twitch over the past year but never deciding to jump in myself because of the cost and the lovely client. This will give me some time to get some experience in before I have to start spending any money besides what I have spent on kickstarter.

I'm excited for having every card too. A problem I have with games like scrolls or Duel of champions is that they force you to pick a deck or type before you even know how it plays. If you don't like it you have to spend a lot of time earning your way to another deck to play with.

This is my first time with drafting not counting hearthstone (which is way less complicated due to it not having resource types) so I can't wait to practice that too.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 15, 2013

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So, Alpha on October 8th (unless there are any unforeseen problems)
Keys will be sent out in batches, so it might take a few more days to get in
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035

quote:

Features in the Alpha
- Make an account
- Full play set (4) of PVP cards
- Full deck building interface
- Make and Save decks
- Play single matches with other Alpha gamers
- Chat!
- First look at the Entrath interactive globe
- Enjoy the (still in progress but greatly improved) interface elements!
- The game going up and down as we patch and fix all the problems we discover as part of the Alpha
- BUGS! This is Alpha; it will be riddled with bugs! That’s just the way an Alpha is, its part of the alpha process!
- Seriously... BUGS!!!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Given my luck with this kind of thing, I'll be the absolute last person in alpha :negative:.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Tamba posted:

So, Alpha on October 8th (unless there are any unforeseen problems)
Keys will be sent out in batches, so it might take a few more days to get in
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035

I'm curious on the key distribution - hoping for order of pledges or amount pledged. I want to get my hands on this so bad even if it is bug filled. If it's at least at GenCon levels, it'll be a better use of my time than SolForge. I also wonder when they'll start combining accounts. It sounds like 2 pledges will yield 2 alpha invites at this point.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It may be that, we might have to merge later. They might also let you "merge" when you create your account. There's a lot up in the air, but having a solid date is great and I'm looking forward to it! I was lucky enough to get into Hearthstone, but this was always what I wanted to be doing with my CCG time. This and maybe Magic.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Karnegal posted:

I'm curious on the key distribution - hoping for order of pledges or amount pledged. I want to get my hands on this so bad even if it is bug filled. If it's at least at GenCon levels, it'll be a better use of my time than SolForge. I also wonder when they'll start combining accounts. It sounds like 2 pledges will yield 2 alpha invites at this point.

That really needs to be answered soon. I only pledged once so it doesn't affect me, but it would be bad if someone gives an alpha invite to a friend and two months from now they say "Okay well, since that key was used to register an account you can't combine it with another account."

Worse if someone registers themselves twice so they can play against themselves to see if a certain type of deck will counter them. :smith:

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Vincent Valentine posted:

That really needs to be answered soon. I only pledged once so it doesn't affect me, but it would be bad if someone gives an alpha invite to a friend and two months from now they say "Okay well, since that key was used to register an account you can't combine it with another account."

Worse if someone registers themselves twice so they can play against themselves to see if a certain type of deck will counter them. :smith:

The first of these 2 situations would be the users own bad. You gave away your alpha invite sorry charlie. I don't even know why the second one is a concern. So what if they want to play against themselves, what difference does that even make.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Here is Stovetop posted:

The first of these 2 situations would be the users own bad. You gave away your alpha invite sorry charlie. I don't even know why the second one is a concern. So what if they want to play against themselves, what difference does that even make.

Being able to draft twice in a tournament would be a huge advantage, and I believe they put out more cards than they take in, so it can still be profitable.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This can't be avoided once the full game is released, right? I mean nothing is stopping you from having more than 1 account, really.

Any idea if there'll be a NDA for the alpha? I'm really looking forward to HEX, but I didn't get in on the kickstarter :smith:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Any idea if there'll be a NDA for the alpha? I'm really looking forward to HEX, but I didn't get in on the kickstarter :smith:

From last week's update,

quote:

Hey HEXers. We're quickly coming up on the end of September, and you know what that means: Alpha! We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update, but I can share this: there's no NDA; you all can stream your games of HEX publicly. In fact, we would love it if you would! The more, the merrier, and we want this game to continue to grow.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

This can't be avoided once the full game is released, right? I mean nothing is stopping you from having more than 1 account, really.

If you want Alpha Access, I think you can still get in on the SLACKER BACKER.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Here is Stovetop posted:

because if you make two accounts you may/may not be able to later combine them. They've said if you backed at multiple reward tiers, you can combine all of your backer benefits into a single account.

If you register multiple accounts with each key you backed with, what happens when you go to combine them?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

We have to hash this all out one last time sometime next week, but yeah, this wouldn't be a very good experience and we've shown a general aim to do what is best for the community.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have no doubt they'll handle it like pros, but at the same time I just wouldn't risk it if I got multiple keys right away

I know it is a low low priority but I wonder how much Steam integration they have off the bat - it would be harder for them to add a lot of that later wouldn't it?

Also I love the flavour text on the Daring Swordsman "If you can't attack your foe by doing a double-somersault off a third story roof, then why bother?"

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I am absurdly excited about this game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

aunt jemima posted:

Hell yeah, time to see if the absurd amount of money I spent in the Kickstarter (Collector Tier, love the sleeves so much I made 'em my avatar) is worth it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

aunt jemima posted:

Pretty much this. I think this is the game I'm most anticipating for the rest of this year. I can't wait to play with the entire set of cards :allears:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I just hope that the lobby is well-designed. A rock-solid lobby that allows you to find what you need and interact with other users quickly and easily is an absolute must for a game like this, if they don't get it right it will absolutely cripple the game experience, as the lobby is the first thing new users see. Bugs and missing features are OK, it's in alpha after all, but if the lobby is badly designed or slow, then it will only get worse as they add features, and there probably won't be a quick way to fix it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

DrManiac posted:

Pretty much this. I think this is the game I'm most anticipating for the rest of this year. I can't wait to play with the entire set of cards :allears:

Yeah I was pretty psyched to see this. A full set of 4 PvP cards with deck building before we get our hands on our own cards? gently caress yes I'll take that.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Yeah I was pretty psyched to see this. A full set of 4 PvP cards with deck building before we get our hands on our own cards? gently caress yes I'll take that.

Seconded. Use the alpha to playtest every single competitive archetype in the set, then figure out what kind of deck you want and shoot for those cards once you get your actual stuff.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I completely missed the boat on this one, and only just read up on the game today. I've been waiting for a sort of Shandalar Online since... well Shandalar in 1990's back in my school days.
I browsed the official web site but failed at locating the system requirements. I hope I can play it on the road on my Laptop (and if i can play it on MacOS it would be even better, but dual boot makes that an option).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Evernoob posted:

I completely missed the boat on this one, and only just read up on the game today. I've been waiting for a sort of Shandalar Online since... well Shandalar in 1990's back in my school days.
I browsed the official web site but failed at locating the system requirements. I hope I can play it on the road on my Laptop (and if i can play it on MacOS it would be even better, but dual boot makes that an option).

Unless your laptop is a fossil, it should be OK. They're aiming for tablet compatibility, which usually means modest minimum requirements.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Thank you. Just went over to the old Kickstarter page, and there I found MacOS supported (at launch?).
You would think they would put this kind of information on their own website.

In any case I'm in for this. Hearthstone might be able to scratch that quick TCG fix for a when I have less than half an hour to play, but this seems more deep.
So is slacker backer still good value?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Evernoob posted:

Thank you. Just went over to the old Kickstarter page, and there I found MacOS supported (at launch?).
You would think they would put this kind of information on their own website.

In any case I'm in for this. Hearthstone might be able to scratch that quick TCG fix for a when I have less than half an hour to play, but this seems more deep.
So is slacker backer still good value?

Yeah, I would say so. Nowhere near the value of the KS, but better than what you'll get at retail, and you get to start playing in a couple weeks as opposed to next summer or later.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Konstantin posted:

I just hope that the lobby is well-designed. A rock-solid lobby that allows you to find what you need and interact with other users quickly and easily is an absolute must for a game like this, if they don't get it right it will absolutely cripple the game experience, as the lobby is the first thing new users see. Bugs and missing features are OK, it's in alpha after all, but if the lobby is badly designed or slow, then it will only get worse as they add features, and there probably won't be a quick way to fix it.

This is important. I haven't seen any talk or footage of a lobby environment (I'm thinking D2 style server lobbies) so who knows what we will get. I'm guessing we may not have one other than a huge irc chatroom style setup. I don't think it will cripple the game as you put it, but I do see some free to players turning away after the game launches if it is unusable.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Blazing Zero posted:

This is important. I haven't seen any talk or footage of a lobby environment (I'm thinking D2 style server lobbies) so who knows what we will get. I'm guessing we may not have one other than a huge irc chatroom style setup. I don't think it will cripple the game as you put it, but I do see some free to players turning away after the game launches if it is unusable.

Cory posted on the official forums confirming that we're getting an irc-style lobby in alpha, so yeah. (I'm pretty sure matchmaking is coming later, though.) He also said the minimum hardware specs are going to be pretty low.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Cory posted on the official forums confirming that we're getting an irc-style lobby in alpha, so yeah. (I'm pretty sure matchmaking is coming later, though.) He also said the minimum hardware specs are going to be pretty low.

Oh, that's cool then. A more interesting lobby could come later, I hope. The one cool thing MTG:O did add during the short period I played was animated "rooms" that showed people's avatars seated at tables fiddling with cards. The animations updated as players joined and left. Something like that would be pretty awesome for Hex!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Blazing Zero posted:

Oh, that's cool then. A more interesting lobby could come later, I hope. The one cool thing MTG:O did add during the short period I played was animated "rooms" that showed people's avatars seated at tables fiddling with cards. The animations updated as players joined and left. Something like that would be pretty awesome for Hex!

Oh, good lord, now I'm seeing a microtransaction shop so you can customize how your avatar looks on that screen.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Oh, good lord, now I'm seeing a microtransaction shop so you can customize how your avatar looks on that screen.

Hey, what good is an MMO if you can't buy special hats clothes to deck out your dude. Here's hoping we get unlockables via achievements, winning PvE encounters, drops from treasure chests and finally the micro transaction store. Pay2LookFabulous.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Blazing Zero posted:

It's in-progress, but I look at a lot of other lobbies from other games and I think "This is motherfucking Salesforce-- the game." It looks like business software. I trust that our UI guys feel the same way, so I hope we get it right. =)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

So IRC to start with and something cooler later on? Hells yeah! Imagine if all that PvE equipment that exists could be shown off on a fancy avatar. Who cares if that pair of sandals doesn't make my raid deck better, they look adorable! :3:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Blazing Zero posted:

So IRC to start with and something cooler later on? Hells yeah! Imagine if all that PvE equipment that exists could be shown off on a fancy avatar. Who cares if that pair of sandals doesn't make my raid deck better, they look adorable! :3:

I'm pretty sure your avatar is just a picture that changes as you level. You're not actually going to have a warcraft style character for pve.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
New article up on the Alpha start process and keep names.

Gotta pick a suitably horrible, troll-tastic keep name! Hrm. . . Libertopia? Worker's Paradise?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They also confirmed that the higher tier backers will get in first.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Tamba posted:

Eh. They really didn't define higher tier other than producer and grand king. Trying to figure out which should be let in first, Collectors, Pro Players, Raid Leaders, Dungeon Crawlers, Collectors, and Guild Masters is gonna be kind of a gigantic clusterfuck.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I imagine if they can't add all of the people at the $250 tiers, they'll put them all in a hat, and choose the correct amount that they can add in from random, so that your chance will be 1/x, where x is the sum of all the people at the $250 tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Tamba posted:

Actually they said Grand King and Producers will get in first. Surely they meant Grand Kings to Producers and they are not going to make the $1000, $2500, and $5000 tiers wait.

• Locked thread