Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Khorne posted:

It's like a less terrible version of Diablo 3's battle tag and character name system.
Why is it a less terrible version? Because it gives an in-game justification?

The Old Republic actually does what Hex is purposing except A) It's a shared surname B) legacies are tied to server, not account C) it's not used as a login.

Speaking of servers, have they said anything about splitting up regions?

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Their names are how they like them. They don't want to come up with a new name if they have been using the same one in every game for the past 10 years. They don't want to be called Gozzog of MoonMonster they just want to be called MoonMonster. I don't think it is an unreasonable request.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Niedar posted:

Their names are how they like them. They don't want to come up with a new name if they have been using the same one in every game for the past 10 years. They don't want to be called Gozzog of MoonMonster they just want to be called MoonMonster. I don't think it is an unreasonable request.

I guess I have it easier than most. Zone Keep actually sounds like something you'd call a (sci-fi) castle. :v:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If our keep name is the biggest concern throughout this alpha then I will be very happy.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Niedar posted:

It's not unreasonable at all. In chat, that person would appear as 'MOONMONSTER:This is speech text' so that seems fine. I suppose if you don't like that aspect of always having to have a 'name of name' shown in games, that's something CZE could address with a client display toggle?

Kat, if this is the only thing to bitch about in alpha then I too will be excited. I also can't stop reading the CZE thread about this. :munch:

Gwaer of CZE Forums posted:

If you allow nicknames you're going to restrict the game to two separate lists of unique names. 1 list of unique names is already a huge issue, the fact that there's only one shard and you need unique identifiables are what's driving this decision in the first place. Adding a second list is extremely untenable.

MoikPEI of CZE Forums posted:

I'm pretty sure that adding a second list of names is basically just one more column to the array.
Are you implying that CZE can't program a database that stays stable with the addition of one more column?

Armchair development 101 right here! :science:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Al Baron posted:

Why is it a less terrible version? Because it gives an in-game justification?
Character names are pretty much pointless and hardly visible in Diablo 3. Character names seem less pointless and more fun in this system. Battle tag is also "outside" of the game but used in it anyway with no regard toward its purpose or immersion. The hex thing just seems like a more coherent and integrated system. The idea of a house is something I personally implemented in a game I never ended up finishing. It's just a coherent way for players to have a single identity with multiple characters.

Battle tags also kind of suck because they're not the same between games (why) and there's characters, well numbers, that the player can't choose. I understand the "problem" that the numbers solve, but there's other ways to do it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 28, 2013

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Khorne posted:

Battle tags also kind of suck because they're not the same between games (why)
Yes they are. My Battletag in Hearthstone is the same in WoW/SC2/D3. It would defeat the whole purpose if it wasn't.

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 28, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Al Baron posted:

Yes they are. My Battletag in Hearthstone is the same in WoW/SC2/D3. It would defeat the whole purpose if it wasn't.
I have different numbers in SC2 and D3. I just logged on to double check. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Konstantin posted:

As a Mac user this is worrying. Hopefully this is just a one-time thing and not the start of a trend where the Mac version lags behind the PC version. They should have mentioned it in the main update, rather than through comments, I'm sure there will be a lot of angry emails on October 8th when people are expecting to play the Alpha but can't.

"If we can find the engineering resources, we're going to do a Mac alpha client." doesn't sound very promising for future mac clients either. It's already saying to me that the Mac client isn't being built alongside the Win client so we're going to get a poorly optimized port of the Win client.

As for the game nickname, I think they should have just called it a nickname and there would be far less whining about it being a "location" name. I think they could also go the route of displaying champions as "Goldbeard, Champion of John" instead of "Goldbeard of John". Either way, less details about how the name appeared throughout the game would have been less confusing for people.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Khorne posted:

I have different numbers in SC2 and D3. I just logged on to double check. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Looks like you are confusing your character in starcraft and your battletag. You only have one battletag per battle.net account. Blizzard did an incredibly stupid thing and implemented a system that looks identical to the real battletag locally within sc2 but if you login to the website you can see only one.

Niedar fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 29, 2013

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I wish that it was "Haus of..." and it led to fierce drag battles in the middle of Hex.

I like the naming idea, I just need to decide what I want to put down.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, this Keep Name system may not be what I'm used to, but it sounds like a good idea.

If I want people to call me Steve I'll have Castle Steve, no big deal.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

There was some interesting/awesome info posted on the forums:

quote:

As far as Kickstarter rewards and merging accounts, that'll happen when we go open Beta. The current system is only for alpha, and we are using the emails provided to us by Kickstarter.

"If I have 2 pledges, can I get a friend to use the second to play alpha, and then still merge them come alpha?"

Yeah, that's the plan.

I'm assuming they meant merge them to beta in that question, which sounds like if you signed up for multiple accounts with multiple email addresses then at some point in time you'll have some extra alpha logins to give to friends/whomever.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Honestly that is the smart/path of least resistance way, that also allows those with multiple pledges to possibly pull in other friends to the slacker backer. Good publicity if their alpha is nice, and quits with the headache of what to do when coming across the same account multiple times when sending out the mailings.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Vincent Valentine posted:

Yeah, this Keep Name system may not be what I'm used to, but it sounds like a good idea.

If I want people to call me Steve I'll have Castle Steve, no big deal.

brb, making a list of rarest possible names for future account resale value :getin:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vincent Valentine posted:

Right up to the point where you find yourself playing against Teninches of Throbbinggristle, anyway.

("What do you mean, it's not suitable? I like the band!")

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Jedit posted:

Right up to the point where you find yourself playing against Teninches of Throbbinggristle, anyway.

("What do you mean, it's not suitable? I like the band!")

Pretty sure keep names, single word names, or any other naming system you can possibly imagine is not going to keep people from having goofy rear end usernames on the internet. There's about ten variations of Weedgoku in Goon Squad on WoW and that game just allows one word for your name.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't give a gently caress about dealing with multiple names and if I can name all my champions by smashing my keyboard and still be known everywhere as MrPeepers then I am more than satisfied.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't give a gently caress about dealing with multiple names and if I can name all my champions by smashing my keyboard and still be known everywhere as MrPeepers then I am more than satisfied.

You're not, it's not really an issue. CZE will either cave and waste time redoing this to please some RPG purists or they won't. Either way, it's funny. I hope they push back alpha to fix this so that we can get another CZE forum thread to read about it.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Konstantin posted:

As a Mac user this is worrying. Hopefully this is just a one-time thing and not the start of a trend where the Mac version lags behind the PC version. They should have mentioned it in the main update, rather than through comments, I'm sure there will be a lot of angry emails on October 8th when people are expecting to play the Alpha but can't.

We're always looking for additional engineering resources and currently trying to find a way to do Mac alpha, so I didn't want to make a statement on it until I knew for sure. Then someone asked and it seemed like there were going to be more people asking, so I answered it. Unfortunately, Kickstarter only allows a 30-minute window to edit a piece so I couldn't incorporate it into the main entry. We've had a few incredible engineering pickups as of late, so that's helping us secure our ability to hit critical milestones.

As far as Mac vs PC, if we don't do a Mac alpha, clearly we'll have to dedicate more resources at some point to make sure the Mac client catches up so that they're in parallel. It's what we sold to backers, after all.

As for keeps, I have some time set aside this week-- I was ill this weekend except for a 4-hour window where my spirits were lifted by hundreds of dogs for a charity walk-- so I'm going to comb through the comments. I also did a pretty poor job of explaining that you're naming your Keep like "Keep Stark" if you wanted to do a GoT reference. Or a worse Iron Man reference. So, a good amount of the confusion is on me. Sorry.

katkillad2 posted:

I'm assuming they meant merge them to beta in that question, which sounds like if you signed up for multiple accounts with multiple email addresses then at some point in time you'll have some extra alpha logins to give to friends/whomever.

At least, that's how I envision our system working and what I've discussed with our backend people. It's what's best for the players and allows people to do what they want with their accounts without needing an extra layer potentially messing things up.

Grim posted:

I like the keep as username thing, but I hope we use something else for login credentials like our email address or whatev

Yeah, it'll be your email address.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blinkman987 posted:

As for keeps, I have some time set aside this week-- I was ill this weekend except for a 4-hour window where my spirits were lifted by hundreds of dogs for a charity walk-- so I'm going to comb through the comments. I also did a pretty poor job of explaining that you're naming your Keep like "Keep Stark" if you wanted to do a GoT reference. Or a worse Iron Man reference. So, a good amount of the confusion is on me. Sorry.

Yeah, it'll be your email address.

I took it that way personally, but, to follow the GoT analogy, it's not Keep Stark, it's Winterfell.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Karnegal posted:

I took it that way personally, but, to follow the GoT analogy, it's not Keep Stark, it's Winterfell.

Yeah, that's correct. I think it's just reversed: you name your family (Lord or Lady) and your keep happens to have the same name as your Lord or Lady. Or at least that's the way it is at this very moment.

Edit: If you all want to do a tournament, I'll put up my Gax and Portensio mercenaries that are sitting on my desk as prizes. I suggest one going to the winner, the other as a random participation prize.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 1, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah, that's correct. I think it's just reversed: you name your family (Lord or Lady) and your keep happens to have the same name as your Lord or Lady. Or at least that's the way it is at this very moment.

Edit: If you all want to do a tournament, I'll put up my Gax and Portensio mercenaries that are sitting on my desk as prizes. I suggest one going to the winner, the other as a random participation prize.

Oh you know it. So excited for alpha, bugs and all! I'd love to participate in a draft tournament if that's possible in alpha right now. If not, any tournament format would be fine. :buddy:

e: :frogsiren: Guild names are being reserved in alpha, correct? Let's brainstorm a guild name! :frogsiren: Suggestions~

Coyotle Fursona Club
Hex-a-Goon Headquarters
Awful Drafting Inc
Not NSA Affiliated
Bitcoins-4-Cards.com

I'm partial to the first one. Only because I want to read applications from furries. All of them The rest are bad, haha. Let's have more!

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 1, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
My question, though, is why is your chat handle tied into keeps at all in the first place and not something separate entirely?

Though, like I said, I'm down for the tournament. I've got finals and midterms this week, and Hex to look forward to if I make it through alive. :haw:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BenRGamer posted:

My question, though, is why is your chat handle tied into keeps at all in the first place and not something separate entirely?

Though, like I said, I'm down for the tournament. I've got finals and midterms this week, and Hex to look forward to if I make it through alive. :haw:

So you can see Stinkfoot of Filthwallow in chat and then think "That's the rear end in a top hat who's keep I attacked and lost to because he's running that bullshit FOTM deck. gently caress that guy, and gently caress filthwallow."

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
But, why tie it into anything 'in character' at all, though? At best, people would ignore it, and at worst, it'd be annoying--there's no 'win' there. I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having one chat handle and non-unique character names, Cryptic does it with Champions Online, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter, but they don't in any way tie it into the character--it's just something that pops up in chat, CharacterName@ChatHandle.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'd say it's a given that we're excited about a tournament, just a question of when (weekend).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fine with the keep naming system in theory, but in practice it just looks hella corny, and I can't imagine it getting any better when the masses get their hands on it. I'd like to see it reigned back just a little bit from enforced X of Y.

Forums rules question: I thought TG was only for physical games? I never even though to look in here for a Hex thread. Would a mod have smacked the OP down if this was posted in Games, or do electronic TCGs occupy some weird gray area where no one cares where it's posted?

Blazing Zero posted:

e: :frogsiren: Guild names are being reserved in alpha, correct? Let's brainstorm a guild name! :frogsiren: Suggestions~

Hex-a-Goon makes me warm inside.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
IIRC it was posted here because TG readers are more interested in TCGs/TCG development than Games readers.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Epsilon Plus posted:

IIRC it was posted here because TG readers are more interested in TCGs/TCG development than Games readers.

We should move it at some point to attract more interest. I keep seeing people talking about online TCGs who have no idea Hex is even a thing.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I thought we already established Steaks of Fate as the guild name

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blinkman987 posted:

That sounds awesome - though we should probably wait until we have everyone in the beta. I'd be willing to manage it if you don't want to run the bracket.

Hex-a-Goon is my current favorite

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

We should move it at some point to attract more interest. I keep seeing people talking about online TCGs who have no idea Hex is even a thing.

We had this discussion some pages ago. We agreed to push for a Games forum new OP once it goes into open beta or release. I think Hex hype isn't as loud right now because there hasn't been any serious fanfare yet. Obviously, the numbers that CZE thought this game would draw were way lower than the reality. So I imagine they aren't concerned with big attention grabbing moves just yet.

Karnegal posted:

That sounds awesome - though we should probably wait until we have everyone in the beta. I'd be willing to manage it if you don't want to run the bracket.

Hex-a-Goon is my current favorite

Hex-a-Goon by itself seems boring. The Hex-a-Goon? Hex-a-Goon HQ? We also need more input. I can't be the only goon who can merge lovely jokes with Hex!

Vincent, I was going to suggest someone use Steaks of Fate as a food related team thingy that they have in guilds. :chef:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blazing Zero posted:

We had this discussion some pages ago. We agreed to push for a Games forum new OP once it goes into open beta or release. I think Hex hype isn't as loud right now because there hasn't been any serious fanfare yet. Obviously, the numbers that CZE thought this game would draw were way lower than the reality. So I imagine they aren't concerned with big attention grabbing moves just yet.

Given that I did the SolForge thread too. I can tell you that we're stuck here until we have at least an open beta. As soon as I can make a thread in Games, I will.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I vote Coyotle Ugly as the guild name.

That's pretty generous of you Blinkman987 to throw in some mercenaries for a goon tournament!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Hex-A-Goon is my current favorite but I might as well toss out a few:

The Frog-Out Engine
Goonswarm Dragons
Basement Dwarves
Corey's Exes

Blinkman987 posted:

Gax looks like a fun card and this should be glorious if we have prizes!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Frog-Out Engine is good and I like Basement Dwarves.

Necrotic Neckbeard Foreplay? (Necrotic - erotic, get it?!) :eng99:

e: Lowtax's Necrotic Neckbeard? Variations on this seem hilarious.

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 1, 2013

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
We Play Internet Card Games

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hex-a-Goon is great on its own, also you can describe things as being Hexagoonal :downs:

Edit: Goon-kin works, a bunch of grotesque mushrooms growing in their parents basement

Grim fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I like Awful Drafting, Inc.

• Locked thread