Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Soooo, straight up, nothing you do for free can net you anything for PvP? Is that correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

Apparently all of the $250 tiers get the Pro-Player tier reward for a year.

I'd like to see a breakdown/calculation of the total dollar value of all the tiers at this point. I am tempted to get the Dungeon Crawler tier. I dunno maybe I get some sick overtime at work

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Can anyone's familiar with the other games this company has made tell whether these guys are prone to power creep? I had to get out of Poxnora for that reason.

Edit. gently caress it I'm in for 250 and the dungeon crawler bonus and maybe I can make my money back in the secondary market. Even in a tiny game like pox, people were able to sell their accounts for decent scratch when they were done, and getting like twice my buy in in value is hard to pass up.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 24, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Karnegal posted:

^^^^^ Yeah, CZ's COO pretty much came up with the WoW TCG

From what I hear, WoW TCG power creep is less noticeable than MtG power creep, they also have very few banned cards. With that said, I don't think Magic power creep is bad. Creatures are better now, but that's because they used to be awful. I play Legacy as my favored format and it has a nice mix of really old card, moderately old cards, and new cards. Similarly, while Vintage is weighted towards old cards, new ones still come along and change things now and again. I think CZ has the design chops to avoid anything egregious in that category.

Less power creep than magic is good enough for me. So long as it isn't "be current or lose" that's ok

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

This, only you can find cards in the dungeon and add them to your deck. It could be like a mini-roguelike.

The fact that things like this are possible is so awesome. The more I think about it the more I'm really happy with the concept of an MMO CCG. Especially because there don't appear to be things like corpse runs, or any of the other things that make a game annoying.

I think the final stamp of quality for me will be being able to do harder dungeons because I'm skillful, rather than having to do some bullshit easy quest over and over to grind. I am just imagining the possibility for grind in a CCG and it sounds like the most painful poo poo, but I have a feeling it'll be sidestepped.

Hey, do we have 2v2/3v3 etc marked for availability at release? I saw in a thing that they were planning on having 2v2 and 3v3 tournaments, but they were going to wait until the community was established to put them out. Any idea if we're going to have them for casuals at launch, so I can play co-op PvP with friends? It's a huge selling point for my group.

I'd also like to see the ability to join multiple guilds but I don't have my hopes up for it. If I could be a goon and still have access to friend-only guild bank poo poo though, that'd be a massive plus.

I would of course post this on the comments thread on KS about it, but it appears to busy to get a real response.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Khorne posted:

I think the more interesting thing is they said there will be tournaments where pve cards and gear are legal. That has the potential to be a huge hit with the casual crowd and tons of fun.

They also seem to be convinced that PvE is going to be great, but they haven't effectively conveyed that to the public. To the point where they said that the loot tier is supposed to be as good as the pro player tier before they added the year of drafting.

I think the whole tournaments with PvE gear thing is going to be a massive clusterfuck that is also awesome. I imagine there's going to be some crazy unstoppable force/immovable object type of stuff going on. I think it's also just the way to emphasize that it's an MMO by design and not just a CCG with pve in it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

gameday posted:

I pledged at King about 15 minutes after finding out about the Kickstarter, but I'm really waffling on whether or not to boost that to Collector or Dungeon Crawler.

Here's the logic that got me to bump to dungeon crawler- If the game sucks and isn't popular, any money I spent is kinda wasted anyway, but if it's good and popular, my dungeon crawler pledge could possibly be worth more as an account sale on the secondary market than I paid for it, to some poor soul who wasn't in before launch. I'm betting on this game being good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avasculous posted:

This is categorically wrong.

-Dungeon treasure pack epics. To push sales for this spinoff product with increased MSRP ($6 boosters), CZE started printing absurdly powerful epics (rarer than "rare") in them. The worst of these, Edwin Van Cleef, was basically a must-have for every deck in the format for most of last year and peaked at >200$/copy before Nationals. The most recent one is Archimonde the Despoiler, which is currently selling at 130$/copy: http://www.warcraftgamingcenter.com/arhaofsa.html

I'll freely admit I don't know much about competitive CCG playing, but I just like my dollar to last longer. However, I also loving HATE super rares

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avasculous posted:

I was objecting to the "no need to keep up with things" statement.

Well I don't mean "play with the same cards forever" really, I just mean making things just completely obsolete is annoying as gently caress. Like, take Poxnora for example. I really liked that game. I had to drop it because they had super-rares and poo poo and once Sony got their hands on it the whole thing power creeped out of control to the point where almost my whole collection was basically worthless. I highly dislike that. I'm in favor of having a highly competitive, tightly regulated and balanced limited block format. I'm against having older cards be better or worse just because they're old.

Now, given this is a company in the business of making money, of course they have to continue to sell new stuff. How much do you think is reasonable as a monthly expense to stay competitive?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

As someone more concerned about having fun than winning money, all I'm concerned with is that they pay out in draft tournaments with game goodies and that they don't go belly up in a year. I guess another concern would be that they have a good ranking system or something so I can play drafts against people my own skill level. (I'm bad at these games)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Do we have any indication that our free weekly drafts will roll over? Or do I need to really use them each week?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jedit posted:

No, we've been repeatedly told the opposite. You will need to draft once a week.

Yknow I was gonna say this is bullshit but on the other hand it's a pretty nifty way to ensure your player base sticks around

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Adar posted:

If the PvE is any good and has endgame type content, double boss drops could equal that off a handful of raids.

Oh god, I can see it now. 3v1 dungeons. 3 players. Tank... damage.. heals.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how group builds end up, like if there's some raid team that can beat bosses with some secret strat they cooked up and no one else can figure it out yet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah it's basically you have the trade-off of getting those PVP drafts just because you paid for them up front vs. having to grind.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Exclusive posted:

Am I the only one who gives 0 fucks about PvE? In fact I'd be ecstatic if they scrapped that idea altogether.

Normally I give zero fucks about PvE in all things, but hey, they made a puzzle game out of it. I'm at least interested where normally I'd be like gently caress this poo poo. And hey, it's the free part of the game that might get some of my friends playing who otherwise wouldn't.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

For people considering Dungeon Crawler, I've just seen a post claiming that CZE says it won't apply to raid loot drops (they aren't considered dungeons). That could damage the value a bit if it's true.

A bit? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Another thing that worries me is it becoming too easy. PVE is supposed to be free to play. How will they balance the fact that someone starting with 150 boosters and a shitload of promo cards and legendary items will likely just steamroll everything? If they tune it to be challenging to DC tier holders, how will people who spent no money be able to complete dungeons reasonably?

Levels and equipment I suppose. Also a bunch of PvE cards that don't come in those boosters at all that might be got drat necessary to succeed.

I guess a good question would be "is raid gear NECESSARILY better than dungeon gear, or are there some crazy hard dungeons that would give equivalent poo poo for a single player?" I'm guessing the answer is raid is a tier above dungeon, straight up, but a boy can dream

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 28, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I wonder if they'd even support pre-errata version of cards in custom games

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OBi posted:

Where do you find raid bosses, if not in dungeons? For someone who never plays WoW it's a pretty arbitrary distinction, especially when the Raid Leader bonus clearly applies to all non tournament PvE including 'dungeons'.

Yeah I thought, at worst, it meant that you'd have to get through a dungeon and the last encounter would drop more poo poo. If it's seriously that only non-raid bosses drop more, what the gently caress is the point? If it doesn't apply to the end game who the gently caress cares

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Karnegal posted:

I don't think they've said that raiding will be end game. It's possible that there are end-game solo dungeons as well.

I just want some kind of confirmation. Some level of hard information other than "pve exists"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'm debating trading in my collectors at $250 for two kings at $240. I'd have double the starters and boosters (300!), two of every add on (extra crafting likely good, could sell a lotus or pool them), and an extra account I can use to try and get a friend into the game. I lose the 6 extra art cards which I'm betting will be worth a decent chunk in the long run. The loss of draft for a year is kind of softened by those 150 boosters tacked on.

1 year of drafts = 156 boosters + 52 dollars assuming you use all the drafts. I suppose the breaking point for you should depend on how many drafts you really expect to do. 2 kings will get you a second Primal pack as well as 3 additional free drafts and 5 additional packs. So you're looking at 155 packs vs 49 drafts (147 boosters and 49 dollars). Assuming 1.3 dollars per pack at this level, the dollar differential breaks down at around 41 drafts. Are you going to make 41 drafts in 52 weeks?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Totally like 90%

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

drat, after the math I did on the bonus booster drafts now I'M kinda contemplating just going with 2x King

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kakesu posted:

One calculation to keep in mind is that all boosters from King will be Set 1. Free drafts will be able to use any released sets, so once Set 2 comes out, you'll be able to get free Set 2 boosters from drafting (including boosters you win in those drafts).

So the question then is when do the free drafts start and when do the sets come out?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They've said every three to four months. So it's possible a free year might take us into set 2 or even set 3 maybe.

Not if your free drafts start in september and it takes a year to get to a full release, which is what I'm hoping doesn't happen. But we'll see! I think I'll be taking the Dungeon Crawler tier anyway though. 150 boosters of set one is way more than enough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'd be disappointed but not surprised. I've seen some poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I guess I'll just see if they respond to that question

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

By the way, I asked via a Kickstarter message and there apparently will be expert-level dungeons to go along with the raids in the endgame.

Dungeon crawler pledge kept

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I've already submitted this as a question to Crypto, but maybe you guys know faster: Using the guild bank function, can you deposit cards, or only decks?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I really hope they don't gently caress that part up because it's going to basically be the cornerstone of me being able to keep my friends playing

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fallorn posted:

Guild bank for people to deposit the cards they get from forever drafting, so that the spergy AH friend can sell some and keep them in the moneys.

I think the best solution would be to tag the card with its owner so they can rip it away from you at a moment's notice. That'd be both efficient and drama-inducing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I hope they have deck sharing as well as card bank personally. Hopefully it's actually really fully featured with various settings like different levels of access for different areas of the bank, permissions per guild rank, etc..

I mean they're touting it as an MMO, give me at least the level of bank customization that EQ2 had. Minus the payment for expanded bank slots of course. So help me if there are over 600 cards at release and tons of equipment but you only have 100 slots in the bank I will be SO DISAPPOINTED.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

They went over some of the guild features in one of the articles:

I interpreted it as any card sharing will be for in guild only things. When you think about it that makes the most sense... I mean if each guild only needed one set of cards that would have a pretty huge negative effect on the economy for single cards.

I still think this is a pretty awesome feature as our guild will more than likely always have a full set to experiment with for people who aren't drafting or buying a ton of packs.

Soooo is it deck sharing or card sharing? I mean IRL the way it would work is if the group has one copy of the card, one copy of the card is available to the group. You could in essence check it out of the guild library of cards, and it would be unavailable to anyone else until it's replaced, and we'd keep a log of what everyone actually owns, if we're really meticulous.

I don't think this is out of the question for Hex, and I really think they should implement just this kind of system. And the reason for this is they already have individual card tracking for the purpose of double-backs so this shouldn't be a problem.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

It's both, as i understand it. You can share cards, that people can use for whatever. I'd assume you'd no longer be able to use the card you shared and only one person can use it at a time. You can also share a deck, that your guildies can use to play against other guildies only. That seems like it'll be cloned, which would it pretty awesome for testing.

That'd be great, I hope that's the case

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crypto response to my question about how guild bank will work:

quote:

It is undecided how much a player can share with their guild at this time. It will likely be decks and then some things you donate to the guild bank (which you would not retain control of).

Thanks.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I guess since it's going to legit be with my friends

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

X_ThePerfect posted:

I want to upgrade from King to one of the tiers with the free drafts for a year but I can't for the life of me decide which.

6 alternate art PvP cards a year doesn't seem a lot, but with no idea how the economy is going to turn out it is difficult to say if they'd be worth enough in the long run. Similarly it is impossible to judge just how much the double loot from dungeons will be worth from a PvP card buying perspective. I might just have to flip a coin to decide.
I really wish I'd jumped on the pro player earlier.

If what you want is PvP my suggestion is to get 2 king pledges so you get 2 lotus gardens and 310 boosters plus 2 primal packs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Alternatively, pick Guild Master and get 245 boosters (I think?), 1 primal pack, and 52 weeks of booster drafts (156 more boosters, plus the equivalent of $52 in entry fees). You only get 1 Lotus Garden, so it really depends on the value of that versus a boat load more boosters.

Yeah I think it depends on how often you really think you're going to draft. If you're going to draft consistently once a week, get Guild Master. If you're going to be able to draft multiple times a week but weeks apart, get 2x King

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Karnegal posted:

- There is no guild bank in the sense that you can throw cards there for people to take. You'll have to trade the freebies to guild mates.

Wow that's complete bullshit. Suddenly I'm going to have to keep a loving excel spreadsheet so my friends know what's available

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

It seems to me like you have to do about the same amount of bookkeeping as you would for lending cards in a physical TCG. I agree it sucks that the guild bank doesn't let you do more - I was excited about that too - but at the same time I can kind of see why CZE doesn't want to be much more permissive than the model they're basing everything off.

Well I mean, yeah, I get it. If everyone just pools their cards and always puts back cards they borrow, then you effectively can have like 4 or 5 people who might as well have every card even though you only have a couple sets. That's easy enough. What's annoying is that that's not the impression they gave me before I gave them paypal money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Korak posted:

Agreed with this. There is no reason except to penalize people to not have a guild bank in a MMOG for the 2013-14 release date. Maybe there will be enough uproar about this for them to put something in.

The thing that kills me about it is that, well I forget where I read it, but I read something about the guild bank basically being the equivalent of when you and your friends pool your cards. I did this when I was a kid with Magic, and our collection suddenly filled a duffel bag. It was a huge selection. They're really trying to limit that, and it's bullshit.

• Locked thread