Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Nice OP! One thing you might like to mention is that every dungeon has its own set of AI-exclusive cards (see e.g. here), so PVE is a totally different game from standard PVP against the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Veyrall posted:

I'm glad the gameplay seems good, because the flavor is three kinds of rear end in a lot of cases. I mean, the Shin'Hare are a near clone of the Skaven. The Dwarves are Goblins. There's a race of peaceful, spiritualistic furries with nary a trace of irony that are shaping up to be the Mary-Sues of the setting. The humans are the exact same humans we've gotten in every setting. The elves are the exact same elves that we've gotten in every setting. I mean, it's still early, and Magic's flavor wasn't so enthralling when it was first released, but goddamn.

The Vennen are a bit cool though. Spider-Orcs is a legitimate thing I haven't seen before.

Really? The shin'hare seem completely different from skaven to me - the only real points of comparison are the fast breeding and the "cannon fodder" attitude towards most of the population. And dwarves who ride giant ants and are trying to literally undermine the entire surface world are goblins now? (The coyotle do look like Furry Sues at the moment, though.)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Soooo, straight up, nothing you do for free can net you anything for PvP? Is that correct

This is not correct. They've said that it will be possible to earn a few boosters in PVE without the Auction House, although they'll probably be pretty rare since boosters are Cryptozoic's main form of revenue. Probably the best realistic case is boosters as a prize for a high-end raid you can do once a week or so.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 24, 2013

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

You mean PVE, I take it? Because I can't see them running drafts with no prizes.

Derp, yes. Fixed in the original post.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Where did they say that? I had this exchange with them over kickstarter messaging a few days ago

So my understanding is that that wasn't decided yet. Of course for all I know it has been in the meantime.

Cory referenced earning boosters in PVE in the Twitch livestream, and I think it's since been confirmed in the forums (but I have no idea where). I don't think we have any details yet.

quote:

Has anyone heard if they're going to make any non-basic energy cards? I'm not sure how they would since it looks like they don't even remain as cards after being played.

We haven't had any previewed yet, but the Auction House image in the Kickstarter shows what looks like a non-basic resource.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Might be exclusive to that encounter right now, but going forward I think it sounds like a pretty awesome idea for a dungeon. Design it around the idea that when your creatures die they are dead and when your spells are used they are gone and/or giving the AI the ability to mill your cards or remove them outright. Maybe make the dungeon completion rewards scale with how small your deck was when you started since having a larger deck will make it easier.

This, only you can find cards in the dungeon and add them to your deck. It could be like a mini-roguelike.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Hey, do we have 2v2/3v3 etc marked for availability at release? I saw in a thing that they were planning on having 2v2 and 3v3 tournaments, but they were going to wait until the community was established to put them out. Any idea if we're going to have them for casuals at launch, so I can play co-op PvP with friends? It's a huge selling point for my group.

Unfortunately, I think we know pretty much nothing about casual PVP so far except that it will be possible and that you'll be able to lend cards (with the guild bank or presumably in-person). I suspect if they thought they'd have 2v2 or 3v3 ready for launch they'd have mentioned it by now, though. :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Ojetor posted:

I'm mostly interested in the PVE aspect of this game, where you are apparently awarded cards via playing. Are you expected to be able to clear the harder dungeons with just loot drops or will buying boosters become necessary? I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth pledging at King level since the main draw seems to be the mess of discounted boosters you get.

The idea is that you should be able to play PVE perfectly well without ever putting money in - PVE cards are more likely to be broken in PVP than the other way round - but having boosters still gives you more options, and you'll probably find equipment that works with PVP cards. That said, if you're looking at King versus Champion, for $35 more you get 65 booster packs. I don't care how bad the initial flood is, I suspect the going rate for packs will be above 50 cents each, so if you don't end up using them you should easily be able to resell them at launch.

quote:

Also eyeing Dungeon Crawler tier but just saying "you get double loot in PVE!" without any info on how the loot drops actually work seems rather shady.

Dungeon Crawler is specifically double boss loot drop. We have a bit of information here - basically it looks like the boss loot drop is the main reward of the dungeon, and that you can dramatically increase its quality by doing side stuff rather than beelining for the boss. We don't have anything concrete yet, although I think it's reasonable to assume that +100% loot drop means "get twice as much stuff on average".

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I can't picture bans happening for tourneys or such since if a card is just deemed overpowered they can edit it later to something more balanced.

This approach seems like it could create a lot of ill will if they tried it post-beta, though. Imagine how you'd feel if you just bought a playset of a powerful card and then not only was it nerfed in tournament play, but the card itself actually changed so it couldn't be used in casual.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Korak posted:

What I don't understand is, why not just have a a thing called X Block where you will always play against the same cards of that set. So if you love X Block, you can keep playing it as long as you can find other players that like that block. You could have a block where people vote on the cards they want to see in the block.

You could have a million different things that isn't feasible for WotC to do with Magic. I just really hope the dev team for Hex tap into that reality. They can certainly make it so cards only lose value by being beaten consistently by better configured decks.

I think they're planning to have player-defined leagues at some point after launch, which would do this to some extent. (Maybe fully, if there's support for in-game prizes for the leagues!)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Cory's said in another thread that he probably won't be doing that - about 35% of the poll responses are that it would be a bad idea, and it seems like every second poster in the thread is pointing out that international backers exist. The T-shirt add-on is almost certainly happening regardless though, and there's been some talk about having an exclusive sleeve instead of a card.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I'm wondering about drafting in Hex. Is it going to significantly flood the supply of singles?

If it's both popular and cheap, it would seem that there's likely to be a wild oversupply of cards generally, as everyone buys packs for drafting, both because of lower drafting prices and because of the much greater ease of anytime online tournament matching. I would suspect that this wouldn't be as great a worry with a game like M:TG that prints a limited run of each set, and I suspect it wouldn't be an issue in this game if cards were purchased solely on basis of demand for cards (because of the Glorious Free Market, etc.). But if everyone gets the cards they want, then buys more for drafting, it'd seem like that's a lot of extra cards out there. Which is a problem if we're viewing cards as an investment to any degree or planning on cashing out down the line.

I'd seen various people predict a flood of the initial set in Hex due to the Kickstarter purchases and that wasn't worrying me due to the likelihood that the Kickstarter people are going to be a very small minority of players. But it seems like drafting is a larger concern. Or is this even a concern? Maybe a general flood of cards is a good thing, esp. if the initial set goes out of print (will the initial set go out of print?).

I don't see this as a significant concern. In the "worst case", if the economy completely floods, you're going to be able to get whatever non-legendary non-promo cards you want very cheaply for the purpose of actually playing the game. Meanwhile, equipment, promos and account perks will probably have a pretty high value since there's a more limited supply and there are so many people willing to put so much money into the game. For Pro Player, legendaries are never going to be that cheap (especially close to the launch of a set) and you'd presumably be spending platinum on drafting with another tier. And that's all ignoring the spectral lotus garden. So all three good $250 tiers still have the potential to generate decent income, and the value of your Kickstarter exclusives and your free draft/alternate art cards/doubled loot drop are probably going to be very significant if you sell your account - you're not going to make a loss overall. You should be much more worried about the game failing to take off in the first place.

There will definitely be a flood on the first set, though. Counting all the stretch goals including the 3 free drafts, at launch there will be about 800,000 boosters worth of cards and 5,250 additional primal packs divided among about 8,500 people based on current pledges alone and before taking the Pro Players' free drafts into account. This is actually a very good thing even from an investment perspective, since it will make it far easier for non-backers to get into the game and hopefully ensure the game does well.

We've also had confirmation that sets will rotate out, which might or might not entail going out of print but certainly means that after a certain point you won't be able to play official drafts with the initial set.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

As far as I know, the situation is:

- They're still going to offer the shirt because it's totally uncontroversial and a lot of people want it. My guess is that it'll be announced in tomorrow's update..

- They're not going to offer a card with the shirt because about 40% of their fanbase said it would piss them off if they did, and that's just not worth it.

- They might or might not offer something smaller with the shirt, like an exclusive sleeve.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm pretty sure that Collector gets 2 lotus gardens - as well as 3x of every other KS card, GK gets the same, plus all of it's own bonuses (from the other $250 tiers) on top

Yes, this is correct - Grand King gets the same number of cards as Collector.

Question(s) about the "friend codes" from the Guild Leader tier:

Can I use those codes to get a friend into a beta? If a friend has an account with a single free starter pack, can I still give him those codes, or does it need to be a pay account?

That would be a really good idea on their part (otherwise I suspect most people will give the boosters to themselves), but so far there's been no official indication that it will be the case as far as I know.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

For people considering Dungeon Crawler, I've just seen a post claiming that CZE says it won't apply to raid loot drops (they aren't considered dungeons). That could damage the value a bit if it's true.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

New article explaining a bunch (all?) of the keywords in the set, with some new previews: http://hextcg.com/keywords/

There's one keyword I'm really leery about; the Magic players here will know what I mean.

Could you elaborate for those of us who aren't serious Magic players?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

To me that sounds like it's talking about PVP tournaments which allow use of PVE cards and equipment, which they've already confirmed will happen occasionally.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

If Cryptozoic say free drafts start during beta, then gently caress them to death with a splintered broomstick. They'll either be offering free drafts that everyone will get anyway, or they'll be charging players to beta test.

They've said repeatedly there won't be any wipes, though - why wouldn't they be charging players for draft when draft is giving them cards they can use in the full game? I can see them knocking off the $1 charge maybe, but not giving out free boosters.

e: I believe they have said they'll refund people if a draft is ruined by a bug, although I might be wrong on that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

Here's a better question: how do they expect to get their game properly tested if the testers don't have access to the cards? If the only way testers can test is by paying for their own cards then the rare cards and equipment are more likely to be bugged on release. I was a Magic Online tester for many years; we all had full access to everything on our beta accounts and bugs still made it through. If Cryptozoic think they can run a successful beta test granting limited card access and charging the testers to do it, then that's a giant signal that they have no idea what they're doing.

They're giving out hundreds of thousands of boosters (last I checked it was 800,000) along with the Kickstarter, plus the free drafts. Combined with the guild banks that's going to mean everyone has more or less unrestricted access for casual constructed, most people are going to have enough cards to thoroughly test tournament constructed unless CZE are stupid with rarities, and a lot of people are going to get weekly free drafts. Especially given that Magic Online presumably had a ten year backlog of cards and rules to implement and Hex only has 600-odd, I'm not that worried...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

By the way, I asked via a Kickstarter message and there apparently will be expert-level dungeons to go along with the raids in the endgame.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Platinum is definitely tradeable - it's even shown in the auction house picture on the Kickstarter.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Here's a direct download of the podcast for people who can't or won't run iTunes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Wow that's complete bullshit. Suddenly I'm going to have to keep a loving excel spreadsheet so my friends know what's available

It seems to me like you have to do about the same amount of bookkeeping as you would for lending cards in a physical TCG. I agree it sucks that the guild bank doesn't let you do more - I was excited about that too - but at the same time I can kind of see why CZE doesn't want to be much more permissive than the model they're basing everything off.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I seem to remember reading somewhere that race is currently purely cosmetic - can anyone confirm that?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It looks like we're definitely in for the usual surge in the last few days - $75,000 yesterday, $32,000 today already, then we've got the Twitch stream today as well. (And in two days everyone who followed the Kickstarter gets their reminder email...)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It looks like an amazing card for draft. See exactly what surprises my opponent's deck has and get rid of one of their bombs? Yes please! (Of course, that's talking as a Magic novice...)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Presumably they also give you a nice view of the deck sorted by type as well, otherwise it might take a while when someone plays the card...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Zurai posted:

You can buy packs with it, it has value outside of PvE.

No, you're thinking of platinum. Gold is only used in PvE and the auction house.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

You can do that, but by selling PVE cards or equipment in the platinum auction house and then using the platinum to buy boosters rather than buying boosters with gold.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

Also, according to that stream, apparently some cards can be reduced to 0-cost, but others can't. That's... really weird and I wish they'd either just allow it in all cases or deny it in all cases.

I think what was said on the stream was that a card could be reduced to zero cost by cards with random effects, but not by deterministic cards like Dream Dance.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I can see it being really useful for two-manning raids. We know it's not something Cryptozoic has balanced around - do we know if there's any sort of reward for it? Obviously not exclusive loot, but maybe sleeves or increased loot or something?

Also, I'm getting worryingly tempted to add a King to my Grand King...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

It's only for Raids.

It's for all non-tournament grouped PVE - right now that's only raids, but if they add in e.g. co-op dungeons then it will apply to them too.

Honestly I think letting it stack is more a novelty than anything else. There are only going to be 1,200-odd Raid Leaders in the game, they're all spread across different timezones, many of them pledged Grand King or higher and will never be serious raiders, and (statistically) there's going to be some attrition from people quitting the game. Groups of two or three people who are both serious raiders and Raid Leaders aren't going to materialise often, especially given that the "payoff" would be trivialising the raid to the point of boredom. I suspect we'll see a few two-person teams trying to get whatever bonus you get for taking down a raid without a third person, and that's about it. Raid Leader would probably be a must for trying to solo a raid, though.

Dungeon Crawler's bonus definitely doesn't apply to raids (although the endgame will contain dungeons as well as raids).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

Even if Dungeon Crawler doesn't work in raids it's still going to be the more desirable option. Raid Leader's +1 card size is very clear and you can directly imagine how useful it's going to be. Good, but not spectacular. I mean, there's no cooldown on raids, right? What's stopping you from mulliganing and then forfeiting until you get a good opening hand?

I assume they're going to balance around that. I think they said somewhere that most raids are going to consist of multiple stages - I can imagine getting a new opening hand with each stage, for example.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, but Hex has seen a really atypical investment curve so it's hard to predict.

There's a "Remind Me" option in every Kickstarter that sends you an email when there are 48 hours left to go. So atypical investment curve or not, I'd expect a surge when those emails go out.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

And it looks like they're actually going to be able to play the game. :)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Zurai posted:

It's really just a waste of space unless they have both very strong gold sinks and something people want to spend lots of gold on. If gold is the point of keep defense and gold is worthless, so is keep defense.

At some point in the past (I want to say in the previous stream) they said you can also charge platinum.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

New update! The key points:

- Paypal went up $40,000 in the last 24 hours. So it looks like the surge is happening, it's just not all visible.

- There will be a slacker backer program, but it's basically crap compared to what you get for backing the Kickstarter. ($50 gets you a starter deck, 25 boosters, 2 months of VIP and none of the exclusive cards.) So back now if you're on the fence!

- Raiding is going to be pretty badass by the looks of things.

- There's an... interesting... new PVE card unlocked for all backers. See BenRGamer's post. :)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Ooh, that's nice. Apparently the booster RNG is going to be tuned towards making compelling drafts, mimicking hoppers in paper TCGs.

e: goddammit

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Cory just went on record as saying that Dungeon Crawler does work for raids as far as he knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Are you sure you didn't mishear? I heard it as two rolls on the table and two drops, and Cory's said repeatedly that it's two rolls and two drops.

• Locked thread