Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I'd like to jump in for $250, but probably settle for just King tier unless they get some big bumps or I get a good dose of spare cash.

Out of the tiers left, Collectors and Guild Master seem the most tempting. Extra free cards are always great and hopefully be some nice rare ones tossed out. Guild Master's +10% exp should be great in the long run, but might actually be able to keep friends interested for more than a few months with all those boosters (or find a way to sneak them back to yourself...). I would jump on Dungeon Crawler if it wasn't just on the bosses for the dungeon, since you might not always run into them. More loot is always tempting but too bad it only works in PvP for special stuff. Raid leader feels like something you'd just want a few guild buddies having.

Here's looking forward to Hex Goon Guild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

Holy poo poo, I never saw that one. That very concept is blowing my mind - you can use burn spells on creatures your opponent hasn't even drawn yet. :psyboom:

Affecting things that are still in the deck is a very cool concept and I think I saw an enfeebling type spell that hits the deck as well. Besides Zombie plague I mean, which I can see just wrecking the poo poo out of a bunny green deck. Very happy with what they're doing with the digital format and I'm sure we'll see some real innovations later on. I can't picture bans happening for tourneys or such since if a card is just deemed overpowered they can edit it later to something more balanced.

And they have an entire selection of mushroom cards based off moustaches. Weep for the future Mario.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

This approach seems like it could create a lot of ill will if they tried it post-beta, though. Imagine how you'd feel if you just bought a playset of a powerful card and then not only was it nerfed in tournament play, but the card itself actually changed so it couldn't be used in casual.

I recall a few cards getting tweaked in other online CCG's, and yeah there's usually some uproar, but the changes tend to be minor like a point increase/decrease in cost instead of re-working the entire card and I don't recall them doing it with anything super rare. But really, this is what beta testing is for and I'd hope we won't run into major must-have power cards. It's an interesting balance they'll have to get with some items changing how other cards work, but I find it's PvP stuff that people will whine over more for MMO's.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

How many starter decks are there likely to be available when the client is released to us? We've only got so many, and already starting to theory craft decks/themes I'd like to try running.

I've never played a game of draft before and from what I understand: You open a booster, take a card and pass the rest to the left. Keep passing them around till there's no cards left and you've gone through all 3 boosters like that. What's the real strategy with this format? Do you just take the rarest card in your first booster and start trying to build around that? Taking cards to deny another player something useful (eg. a great centerpiece black troop, when you've been building red/white) must be hard to balance against choosing something you need. Teach me how to survive at draft!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Many thanks. B.R.E.A.D. was a really easy way to break it down into what to look for.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I'm debating trading in my collectors at $250 for two kings at $240. I'd have double the starters and boosters (300!), two of every add on (extra crafting likely good, could sell a lotus or pool them), and an extra account I can use to try and get a friend into the game. I lose the 6 extra art cards which I'm betting will be worth a decent chunk in the long run. The loss of draft for a year is kind of softened by those 150 boosters tacked on.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

signalnoise posted:

drat, after the math I did on the bonus booster drafts now I'M kinda contemplating just going with 2x King

It is a good amount of booster drafts to get into and there are a lot of side benefits to King x2. The unique cards are really tempting but I kinda want the spare account to give out. I almost feel the $250's need a small bump so this wouldn't be a decision.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

So your keep is going to basically be your 'main account' with characters you create being part of that keep who share those same resources. Now I'm curious to see what all upgrading it does.

Ended up switching from Collector to DC. Just seems more useful in the long run and I'll probably do PvE more than PvP if it's decent considering my free time.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Is there a way to watch a copy of the match they did now that it's over?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Because free drafts are so worth it

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

If you were thinking about getting in on Dungeon Crawler, better decide fast. There's less than 50 left now and going quick!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 5, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

How do prizes typically work in draft? Everyone walks away with whatever custom deck they built and that entry fee gets the winner boosters or such?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I just realized how many people are going to have "their likeness on card art" from the kickstarter: 75 not including producer (because who knows how many are real). I predict many bearded characters the next few sets...

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I'm curious to see how they handle people disconnecting during a match, especially tourney's or booster drafts. Personally, I dislike letting people back into matches after they get d/c'd, as it encourages people to pull their connection once the match starts going south (I'm looking at you With Authority!). It sucks if you legitimately get d/c'd during something big, but how often does that actually happen? More than one way to handle it, and the "reconnect in 30 seconds and we'll continue the match" method is probably the best.

I take it we'll be waiting 2-3 weeks for them to get their funding in hand at least before we get alpha access. Eager to give it a whirl, and The Waiting Game doesn't come with any kickstarter bonuses. Any deck types that have really peaked peoples interest? Dwarves seem like they'll have good long term potential to grow with. Drawing more cards, making artifacts cheaper, and artifact creation cards are likely easy things to get use out of in further expansions. Inspiration seems like a long term boon too, but I'd like to see a mono-element inspiration deck in action that might be a bit faster than the multi ones we've seen.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

30 seconds was what they had in Chron X way back n' what I was used to, so just what I quoted. Admit it's not really a good amount of time to reconnect, especially if you have to go all out and reboot your modem each time. It was an issue in Tourney's during With Authority! because someone would get into a match, get stomped early and pull the plug. Log back in with enough time to restart the match and possibly screw over your opponent. They really didn't do much to counter it besides add a 'disconnect %' underneath their w/l/d record so you'd have a good idea who was doing it regularly. But those same people could just create a new account and trade all their cards to it so...

Just something I've been dicked over on other online TCG's and hoping to not have to deal with.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Suffice it to say, my experience with online TCG's is more than a little out of date. I had to actually look up the stats on Chron X and...

quote:

Chron X was the first online trading card game, first released by Genetic Anomalies in May 1997.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some kids on my lawn to yell at.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I doubt it, but curious if people would actually pay more for some of the odder stuff kept track of on the double backs. A mangled zombie that was used in the deck of the winner of Mega Tourney XYZ, is still just a mangled zombie. I wouldn't be surprised if that's account based though and exp/etc. gets reset if it trades hands.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Seems they've added a deck builder to the current known card list. Theory deck crafting ho!
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php

edit: wow. Check the equipment. Lots of new stuff I haven't seen yet

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 12, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/hex-shards-of-fate-6410011/
edit: Beaten :orks:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I'm ok with egg and butter based sauces like hollandaise or bearnaise but too many people think steak sauce is A-1 or Heinz 57.

Let's not forget though that sauce necessity is inversely proportional to the quality of the steak. I will not hold anyone in contempt for using sauce on chicken-fried cubed steak.

After Guild Wars 2 I am highly interested in this as well, especially because I think cliques are unpreventable, and also not all my friends are goons.

There's a saying in the cooking industry: "An ounce of sauce hides a multitude of sins." If you can't enjoy the natural taste of the meat, the real issue isn't what you're dipping it in! :colbert:

And I suppose this is as good a place as any to mention I have a co-worker that dips his poutine in ketchup...

But to get back on Hex, I'm hoping they support multiple guilds as well. I've got some non-goons interested in the game and it would be nice to jump over to their guild and help them out without penalty. Curious how that gets flagged. They've mentioned guild vs guild stuff I believe but was there any talk of how that works?

edit: VVVV I cook for a living so yes. But too often people reach for a sauce before they taste the meat. I used to be one of those 'well done with BBQ' kind of guys, but a good cut of meat that's seasoned properly and cooked correctly just lights up on the tongue.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 20, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/draftsim.php

Data miner now has a draft function. Found it handy since I've never done draft, and I'll have to get used to that feeling that someone down the line is building an awesome deck with cards you pass up.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Incantation of fear is going to pair drat well with a bunny deck. Really liking the combo potential from the cards we've seen so far and it's only making me more antsy to play! But what is that chakram thing on the right side of Battle Beetle supposed to be? Almost looks like part of the card art but doesn't fit inside the image and doesn't quite fit the scene.

Selane posted:

Are you talking about the gem socket?

Ah! For some reason I didn't even notice it was a socket card.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 7, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Pretty much this. I think this is the game I'm most anticipating for the rest of this year. I can't wait to play with the entire set of cards :allears:

Yeah I was pretty psyched to see this. A full set of 4 PvP cards with deck building before we get our hands on our own cards? gently caress yes I'll take that.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

rinski posted:

I just remembered Hex was a thing because I've been distracted by SolForge. Assuming I'm one of the Grand Kings who gets Alpha on the 8th, let's have a goon stream party on Twitch! :toot:

Seriously though who launches something on a Tuesday what an awkward day to do anything.

With Hex encouraging people making videos of matches during alpha, I'm curious if we could do some LP thread if special permission on the 3 month rule could be had. Streaming and such would be a lot of fun too.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Hex-A-Goon is my current favorite but I might as well toss out a few:

The Frog-Out Engine
Goonswarm Dragons
Basement Dwarves
Corey's Exes

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah, that's correct. I think it's just reversed: you name your family (Lord or Lady) and your keep happens to have the same name as your Lord or Lady. Or at least that's the way it is at this very moment.

Edit: If you all want to do a tournament, I'll put up my Gax and Portensio mercenaries that are sitting on my desk as prizes. I suggest one going to the winner, the other as a random participation prize.

Gax looks like a fun card and this should be glorious if we have prizes!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I used to run a direct damage deck in old school magic (talking pre ice age here 'cause gently caress cumulative upkeep) with a red/black deck and hoping I can scrounge something similar but haven't seen enough cards that go along those lines. Yes there are a few keepers in there, but not enough to build a whole deck around and I get the feeling a red/blue dwarf deck could do it better. Not to mention dwarf/artifact decks sound like they're going to be very popular at the start.

I think I might try my hand at whipping up a white/blue flyer deck with some inspirations just to do something different at the start. Seems there's a lot of decent flying cards at the moment and a smattering of counters/boosts could make for a very annoying deck to go up against. Could probably even twist it to a control type deck.

Curious to see what the more common and powerful types of decks we'll see a lot at the start will be. For all the synergy a shin hare deck should have, I haven't seen much talk on them but eagerly await seeing a powerful build. Outside of bunnies though, doesn't sound like many are drooling over black and/or green. Inspiration Engine made a lot of people hot for dwarves it seems and can't blame them. Never been a fan of speed rush decks since sometimes a few bad draws can slow you down, but liking the potential for orks. Grah! Why can't it be tomorrow yet?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

While it was pretty bad idea to release the download to everyone instead of just to those with access, it does seem Crypto's announced they're going to try and have the poor download speeds fixed by tomorrow's update I believe. What I'm worried about is that without enough people on to do the proper server stress tests quite yet, it'll slow down the releases for the next wave of entries.

But I really can't complain that much. This is an alpha which we're lucky to have access to in the first place and having a full set to fool around with is worth the wait. Plus I'm at the DC tier so I should be in the next wave but curious how long for all the King backers to fully get in.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I haven't been getting the Hex updates in my email, which is odd since it's not like I used a different kickstarter account and I double checked I actually have my DC tier.

Has me a little concerned I might miss my invite when it finally comes time. Is there a good email to ask through about it?

edit: After more searching, I paypal'd for my DC tier instead of going through the kickstarter which would explain why I'm not getting the KS updates I guess. Though odd they're forgetting to keep the paypal sponsors updated.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 23, 2013

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Is there a way to cancel an action after you've selected it? I ended up having to use repel on my own attacker since I didn't notice the defender had spellshield. I find I'm also running into that missing cards bug almost every single match.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've got a mill deck I play around with but High Tomb Lord is the finisher, sabotage is just window dressing.

My buddy's first match with me was his mill deck vs my black/green 'mass spawn stuff to graveyard' deck. I had a 67/67 Tomb Lord out and that pretty much ended the game. Mill does look quite fun though.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

In as Brixx. Gaming hours are a bit odd at the moment but sure I've seen a few other goons online.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Stormgale posted:

But what if a goon wins the tournament, who do we root for?

Neither. We have already won when it is nothing but two goons battling for supremacy.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Wow. Isn't this a hard counter to basically any combo deck?

It's kind of sad to see how people were using the old version: Make your opponent wait forever while you go through their entire deck and figure out what must be in their hand.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Just as I get the install completed, the servers go down for 12 hours. I've got a friend interested in trying out Hex since they've got another person they know playing, but they never got in on the slacker backer. Has there been any word on when it might be moving into an open beta?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

And tournaments are locked now till they fix the problem.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm having more issues with draft than I was expecting, I guess because I'm brand-spanking-new to the format. I'm not sure if it's that I get distracted by rare drafting or what, but any given match I'm in it seems to be basically a 50% shot whether I win or lose, usually after a series of close, long-drawn-out games where each side is ahead and behind by turns.

In the earlier stages of the alpha just playing standard games I was winning somewhere between two-thirds and three-fourths of the time, once I got some decks built that I was happy with, but now I can't seem to come close to that level of performance. I've watched some of the video guides and prioritizing removal and "bombs" definitely helps but I'm still not seeing how to step things up to the next level.

I've been having much of the same issue, but I'll admit I've been purposely going a bit heavy on the rare drafting to fill out my collection. I'm hoping the ability to breakdown/build cards will help cover my loss of boosters. The last draft I was in just sucked though. Seeing any bombs at all were few and far between, with the majority being more 'meh' cards like shroomtanks and basic orcs. I was hoping to get a good bunny deck rolling but ended up being really half-assed and got stomped by a flyer/orc deck without doing any damage. At least the mediocre cards in Hex's first edition are better than MTG's first set (1B for a 1/2 creature with no abilities? Yay...).

With the 1st set of starters being half the races, I'm curious what kind of theme the 2nd set will give the rest of the factions. Necrotic, Elves, and Veenen don't seem to have a very uniform theme at the moment, though Coyotles have lots of fuckery abilities. Anyone noticed some solid themes n' care to theorize what we might see?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Beta servers seem to be down now. And I was just about to advance to the semi-finals for draft with a mono-red speed deck. I felt so bad second game when I drew all 3 yetis I had in the deck and the salamander I rare drafted by turn 2.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I quit magic during Ice age back in the day (because gently caress cumulative upkeep) and it was actually playing Hex that started getting me back into MtG some. There's online friends you play with, and then there's your buddies you just want to shoot the poo poo with while being the complete nerds you are. While I really see the similarities between the two games and how MtG could be annoyed, I can also see the same thing in a lot of other card games I've played over the years. It's a pretty low move with the lawsuit, and I've also politely emailed them my opinion on the matter. While I highly doubt mine will matter at all, I'm hoping it's another drop in the bucket and someone in PR will notice it's starting to rise. But while they're keeping up with this lawsuit, I don't think I'll be grabbing much more MtG items.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Finally got to win my first tournament! Had an interesting speed black/white deck with a lot of cheap fliers, big defenders and lots of removal. Wall of corpses came in surprisingly handy but my opponent in the finals repeatedly kept bouncing my healing pegasus back to my hand in an attempt to stall the inevitable. Some fun and challenging matches though and got some good use out of Gazzog as a champion with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

If anyone's still got a spare key, I know someone looking for one. PM me

• Locked thread