Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

There's a good mockup of a skill tree here if you want to use that instead.

Also, there's a typo in the title, the game's name is "Hex: Shards of Fate" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Karnegal posted:

Well gently caress.

I wasn't sure if I should throw the skill tree in the op because it's giant. Maybe I'll toss it in the second post
Just send Winnie a PM asking him to fix it.

Yeah, it's enormous. How about just include a link to it with HERE IS A SAMPLE TREE?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jedit posted:

Mana is expressed as Temporary/Permanent - the amount of mana you currently have to spend and the amount you generate each turn. If you have 6 resources you start the turn with [6/6]; if you then play a 2cc spell you will have [4/6]. Any basic resource will give you [1/1] - you get 1 point of mana right now and generate 1 each turn. This is interesting for the purposes of design space, as it's possible to make [0/1] resources that don't generate mana on the turn they enter play or [2/0] resources that give a temporary mana boost but afterwards only increase thresholds.

Yeah, I could totally see Dual Gems that give you two thresholds, but 0/0.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think they've given a precise release date on Beta but from what I have heard them say they intend to release the full game "as soon as possible" after Beta, a matter of months.

They said on the IGN interview/demo/video that they're aiming for September for Beta, and hoping to have full release before the end of the year.

fake edit: :arghfist::eng101:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

I think what he was mentioning was the equipment on it. What is the Eye of Creation deck? If you have that piece of equipment on it, does it just pull from a starter deck or something rather than your own deck?

It's strange, either way.

What I want to know is, what does being the Master of Time entail, and can I do it to or is the position only reserved for bugs?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

signalnoise posted:

If what you want is PvP my suggestion is to get 2 king pledges so you get 2 lotus gardens and 310 boosters plus 2 primal packs.

Alternatively, pick Guild Master and get 245 boosters (I think?), 1 primal pack, and 52 weeks of booster drafts (156 more boosters, plus the equivalent of $52 in entry fees). You only get 1 Lotus Garden, so it really depends on the value of that versus a boat load more boosters.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I just listened to that podcast Karnegal linked, and Cory Jones talks about an Arena dungeon where there's giant firebreating squirrels vs dinosaurs. You pick a side and get a preconstructed deck depending on what side you play, and as you accumulate "points" (not detailed how you do it) you can buy new Star Players for your team/deck.

Cory Jones posted:

And then eventually, once you get enough points, you unlock the final Grand Championship and if you win, you get an exclsuive squirrel card. And if you have the squirrel card in your collection - which means you chose the squirrels and played them all the way through - you can NEVER OWN THE EXCLUSIVE CHAMPION DINOSAUR CARD. So you have to make a choice. It will be :siren: literally impossible :siren: for an account to have every account in the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vomik posted:

This doesn't happen. In magic vintage, where the most powerful cards are and the decks that can goldfish turn 1/2 wins, there is probably the most player interaction and you have to know every deck very well.

You had me until you said the word "most" and then it went off a cliff. Vintage has some interaction, but nowhere near as much as pretty much every other format.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Twitch stream starts in 15 minutes, and there are already people in chat addressing questions.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

Precons remove literally half the gameplay from a CCG. Setting up a deck is just as much part of the experience as actually playing it, and in some aspects, the far more demanding of it. I can't really see them doing that. It would remove a sense of progression from the PvE gameplay as I'd expect people to not only identify with their avatar, but also their deck. Making it so the rewards you get out of a raid can't be used for that raid is dumb, and limiting the rewards to only the precon set up for that particular raid is even worse.

And in regards to combos, they'd have to have some mechanic to block them. Otherwise it doesn't matter how many advantages you give the opponent when infinite damage lands on turn 1 because you have 3 combo decks with 10 cards starting hands mulliganing into their combo pieces. It is especially broken because you have to keep in mind interactions between the 3 player decks as well.

From what I understood in that Angry Joe show, the Squirrels vs Dinosaurs arena dungeon pretty much starts you off with a precon, but lets you add cards that you earn from the dungeon itself as you progress.

Also, during the stream they talked about "Legendary Mode" for the dungeons that forces you to play with a deck where you have a limit of ONE per card rather than the usual four (?).

But I agree that, across the board, I don't think precons are a good way to limit skill.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It's almost as though this exclusive time-limited advantage is some sort of advantage!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Twitch stream starts in 20 minutes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zurai posted:

He couldn't have used the cooking pot to mill the Phoenix Guard. He was out of resources at that point and the cooking pot costs 1 to activate.

He attacked with one of Journeymen Technicians (the guy that reduces an artifact's cost by [1]) and had it die before casting an artifact that turn, so he'd have had 1 left over and would have been able to pay to activate the Pot. And he missed at least half a dozen free activations on Research Librarian, since he could activate it for free on every one of his and his opponent's turns.

BenRGamer posted:

I tried to argue with a bunch of stupid people in the chat about that flyer showcased in the last match that it wasn't overpowered because you could always play cards after attacking.

I kinda hate stupid people.

:ironicat:

But no, it's not really overpowered.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

boho posted:

Someone tell me which tier to buy, ideally using things like science and math. Would one of the $250 flavors only be worth it if I played draft every single week?

King tier gets you $350 worth of boosters/starters for $120, access to Spectral Garden which will be a steady source of [some amount, possible negligable?] income, 3 free drafts ($21 value), some promo cards, gear, etc.

The various available $250 tiers get you the above, plus 3 months of VIP ($24 value for free boosters, unsure what else it gives), one year of drafts ($7 a week, or $364 PLUS whatever you in the drafts), more gear, more promos, crafting materials, etc. On top of that you get the tier-specific bonus.

All the tiers $250 are sold out unless you have $2500+ to blow, all the tier below King are much less valuable. For instance, the tier below King is Champion: costs $35 less for $140 worth of less stuff, and less promos/other things, too.

If you have the money, pick a $250 tier, it's easily the best bang for your buck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

All Nines posted:

I think they've said that Socketable Major cards can have both a Major gem and a Minor one

Do you mean this article? Because the way I read the following sentence, I parsed it as them saying "you can put a minor gem into a major socket", not "you can put a major gem AND a minor gem into a card with SOCKETED MAJOR".

quote:

Some troops in set 1 have the ability to socket any Minor Gem, while others have the ability to socket any Major Gem (as well as any Minor Gem).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah, if you could, it would be completely absurd.

I guess we might get cards with multiple sockets though, but they'd have to be costed as such. A 5/1 for 3 that also hits them for 5 and comes back after trading with every creature ever to do it again would be far, far beyond anything we've seen so far in terms of cots efficiency.

The weird thing is, the last paragraph implies that socketing has some effect on the card's threshold.

quote:

To illustrate this with a simple example, let’s take Boulder Brute, a [WILD] 5 cost 4/4. You could socket him with cost minus 1, and get a 4 cost 4/4, or +1/+1, and get a 5 casting cost 5/5. So, depending on where you’re light in your curve, Boulder Brute as a draft pick can function as either of those cards even within a deck that is solely Wild. Of course, if you’re playing more than one shard, he could fill any number of other roles as well!

That last sentence makes it seem like if you add a non-Wild Gem then it would require more than just Wild to play? I might be reading too deep into this one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

In about 15 minutes they're going to do a live twitch countdown to the end of the Kickstarter.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The beauty of PVE is that they don't have to balance it. The system behind a customizable deck game is that you can build ANYTHING YOU WANT, and you can just bring a deck that will demolish the PVE deck you're trying to beat and lose to everything else.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Aren't there cards that say "look at your opponent's deck"? If anybody cares enough, they'll use one of those.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

No, making it longer is the right answer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I wonder if the AH is going to a straight list with Bids and Buyouts like WOW/D3, or if it's going to use a Ask/Bid style like in EVE.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Aw crap I forgot about that nonsense. So I guess market valuations will be slightly different with Card A with 0 XP and Card B with 80% XP until it "levels" into a foil card.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SilverMike posted:

I wouldn't care about the difference between 0% and 80% personally. If I want it to play with, I'll take it from 0% and make the card a foil myself. If I want to collect it, I'll go for the already-foil so I don't have to play a bunch of games featuring the card to get it shiny. There's some room for minor valuation changes but those are almost certainly going to come down to personal preference (stupidity?) and be ignored for general trade value.

What I mean is that if I have three different Pack Raptors and one has dealt 0 damage, one has dealt 50 damage, and one has dealt 1000 damage, that they are all different cards and can't be treated as functionally identical. Looking at the double-back, there's a lot of granularity to each card which means that they'll need to be inspectable while in the AH.

Personally, I don't care about which version is which and will definitely just buy whichever is cheapest, but because there is that difference in each individual card, it's impossible to treat all Pack Raptors as identical.

Khorne posted:

They could make experience reset when it changes hands, and that could work in multiple ways. If the card is already foil it stays foil, but if it's not it is like you bought a fresh card. Doing it any other way is going to introduce needless complication or ignore potential value.

Yeah, this is an easy fix if Cryptozoic determines this is something "worth fixing".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Black Tiger equipment explicitly mentions Ardent/Underworld, so there's a non-zero amount of gameplay implications for factions.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Live chat at E3 riiiiiight noooooooow http://www.gamespot.com/e3/stage-2-day-2/?tag=Topslot;Slot1

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

OBi posted:

Was it a PvE or PvP match? Because yeah, for PvP 20 has been and sorta is the established default. The starting conditions for a PvE match could be darn near anything, heck it would be fun to try and run a dungeon where you started at 50 life and had to make it through 5 games starting at the same life total you finished the last game with.

The text on Concubunny also referred to Battle Hoppers as "Young Tails". It's just some old footage.

Adar posted:

Very big sales pitch, very light on detail*. But the achievement system sounds really well done.

*new stuff, that is. He's going through a lot, just nothing backers didn't already know.

Did we know about the "treasure chest" thing in boosters? Apparently every(?) booster has a treasure chest in it which has a rarity of its own and can be filled with goodies (gold? sleeves? mercenaries?) including possibly another booster.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It's been mentioned before, but I had assumed it would be PvE loot, any of those sounds pretty neat though.

I must have missed that, I'm not following the forums that closely because most of the important information is getting distilled here. But Cory definitely said on stream "maybe even another booster" inside the treasure chest.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Once the game is actually out (or at least in Alpha) then there will be more traffic in here. For the next couple months it's just going to be us lapping up every drop of information we can find.

By that point we can worry about guilding up, or whatever.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

Even if you have fifty guys you're still going to have rivalries. Two people of relatively equal skill playing similar decks for example are always going to be rivals because they're always going to try to come out over the other. Yes, those two I mentioned were the lovely kind, but rivalry doesn't necessarily mean bitter or bad. Rivalries are always going to be a good thing, as it pushes both players to be better and helps drive interest. I don't know what kinds of players we're going to have in the goon guild, but I would be outright shocked if we don't have similar situations crop up as people start playing constructed matches against each other.

Friendly rivalries are great. Two assholes sabotaging themselves and each other for no good reason are not great.

signalnoise posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say this. I will rare draft if I consider the cost-benefit analysis to be in my favor. IE if the rare is worth 3 boosters, winning the tournament will get me 4 boosters, and there is less than a 75% chance in my mind that I will win, then yes I will draft that rare. I would expect most people at my skill level to do the same.

Many people much much much better than you do the same, don't worry about it. :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

We also saw {2}: Draw a card, lose 2 life.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

All Nines posted:

I thought that one was that you have to get four charges to use it, but given that it's a charge ability, it only costs the 2 life, not 2 life and 2 mana. "{2}: Draw a card, lose 2 life" is Pact of Pain's ability.

I might have mixed up the two. It's hard to keep all of this information straight!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Well, you could, I dunno, put the cards into decks and play with them or something???

e: I mean Hex cards. Not Masques cards, those things were dogshit.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 13, 2013

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

tijag posted:

I'm in at the GK level and plan on keeping the 90 extra boosters that come with that reward. Since I get a free draft a week, should I open the boosters all and just take my free weekly draft, or is there some inherent advantage to using my crap ton of boosters in drafts for a second or third weekly draft?

Well, look at it this way:

Assuming that you can trade in 1 booster for at least 1 Platinum, every 4 boosters you have is worth one draft. Opening three boosters in a draft is roughly equivalent to opening three boosters outside of a draft, if not better for you since people will often take cards better for their draft deck than for constructed. Then, if you win JUST ONE booster, then you've come out even since you put in four packs, and received four packs. If you win more than one booster, you're ahead.

To summarize: draft is The Best, never open boosters.

cathead posted:

No, I get what he's saying, I just am not sure why you'd do it that way.

In short? Loss Aversion.

Here is Stovetop posted:

Which they pretty much stated was a bad choice!

Signets were a mistake because they accelerated AND fixed your mana, rendering green mostly useless. Common fixing exists in the current format, and it's fine, though not constructed playable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Capitalism posted:

They did say there would be an update today with final totals. I'm curious myself.

Right on cue

$2,515,255

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Oh, I think it'll be a thing. Only so many people have the Raid Leader bonus, for one thing, and only so many of those will want to run any given raid at any given time -- most will be Grand Kings more interested in PvP, etc.

I expect a lot of "god dammit Alloy why do you keep running that lovely blood diamond deck, don't you know this boss is weak vs. rabbits" etc.

Someone running a bad deck will be way more of a disadvantage than missing out on the Raid Leader bonus. Joining a guild is not a contract that you sign forcing you to group with everyone in it.

In a big enough guild, you'll find people that you like and people that you don't.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, I was more implying that I would be the bad Raid Leader running the bad deck!

Then people won't group with you if you stink. The system works! :toot:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

I usually find that slow life-drainy decks in magic are poo poo (which is a shame cause I love the black/white color combo but Orzhov presses that needling stuff really hard), cause it always seems like there are better things to devote resources to than little incremental life drains, like removal and card advantage and poo poo that actually enhances your position. But I gotta say that the Necrotic lifedrain champions look pretty interesting. Having that as something that's passive, always available, and doesn't interfere with any of your other resources sounds great. If I don't have to dedicate a card in my deck/hand to a little 1/1 dude who I can tap to drain 1 life, having that in my deck actually seems like it might be worthwhile. Or hell, even making a dedicated life drain deck, since it'll always have some form of gas with these guys.

While you don't have to dedicate a card to it, you're still giving up another potential champion to get that effect. Ignoring threshold requirements, compare using that ability to having the Draw a Card ability. If you assume that you don't go past, say 8 charges, what's better? Drawing 1 card, or draining your opponent for 4 life?

That 20 in the corner of each champ is probably a starting life total, interesting to see what applications that can have there.

Zurai posted:

Also, nowhere does it say that they lose their card text. That's the kind of thing that's easy to do in a purely digital game, so I'd be surprised if creating the abomination blanks the cards.

Doesn't say the opposite either, and it's possible that Abomination has its own card text, just like Vampire has flight.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Going Infinite includes going infinite from constructed tournaments, and with the number of cards KS backers will start with, the up front cost of constructing a viable deck will be heavily discounted.

Some Numbers posted:

The idea that the market will be flooded with Set 1 boosters requires the assumption that people will sell their boosters instead of drafting them. Anyone who's coming to Hex from Magic will be drafting all of their boosters.

Anyone who's coming to Hex from Magic will be selling some boosters to supplement their drafts. I already sank $250 into this, I don't expect to put any more for quite a while.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

weird vanilla posted:

Yes, the needless complexity of decimals will make selling a card for 4.99 difficult for the user base.

Why would you put a period in the middle of a number, when you could easily NOT put it in there instead.

$1 = 1000P is much cleaner than $1 = 1.000P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

weird vanilla posted:

You don't think the familiarity of 1.00 platinum = $1.00 is a compelling reason?

Absolutely not.

• Locked thread