Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SpaceEngine has been Greenlit on Steam!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Warning: the realistic scale in this game may be humbling.

What is Space Engine?

Space Engine is a (free!) space simulator that uses known catalogues to map out :siren:the Universe:siren:, you're free to explore any planet/sun/moon in great detail thanks to everything being procedurally generated. There's millions (billions?) of star systems. This picture goes into better detail:

Also check out SpaceEngine: Serenity to get a jist of the game.

Explore the Solar System, bounce from planet to planet, land on an icey moon and watch the sunset or leave the Milky Way altogether and visit the countless other Galaxies around us. There are no objectives. Just take awesome photos and blow people's minds. As of 0.9.7.2 you can do this with an Oculus Rift! Oh, and this was created by a single programmer on his own spare time. :drat:

Latest Version 0.9.8.0, as of 07/29/16
Official Site Download Page

Also, Space Ship Editor, someone made a program where you can build your own ships using modules and put them into SpaceEngine. I haven't tried it though.

Extract the contents of the archive and inside the "system" folder you'll find SpaceEngine.exe, run that and you're in.

SpaceEngine also has it's Facebook Page, if you're interested in keeping up with developments of the Engine and seeing what others have discovered you should probably like it. The author has also thrown up a donation page to help with further features and improvements and development on more modern hardware. The biggest thing is Oculus Rift support which has already been reached! :woop:

Controls

Basic Movement:
  • W/A/S/D - Move
  • Q/E - Roll
  • R/F - Ascend/Descend
  • Click - Select
  • Click+Drag - Look around
  • Right Click+Drag - Orbit around a selected object
  • Mouse Wheel - Change Velocity

Auto-Pilot:
  • G - Auto-Pilot to selected object (you'll be using this a lot, tap twice to go faster)
  • Shift+G - Land on planet (or if you have a Galaxy or system selected you'll go to it's center, easy way to get to Black Holes)

Time:
  • J - Change the flow of time forward or backward
  • K/L - Increase/decrease the flow of time
  • Spacebar - Pause Time

Other Stuff:
  • 1/2/3 - Change Mode
  • Page Up/Page Down - Change FOV
  • F1 - View Orbits and nearby celestial bodies
  • F2 - View System (the easiest way to preview planets in a selected system and go to whichever you want)
  • F3 - Find an Object (and set it as a Marker)
  • F6 - Locations (This will allow you to set your current location and viewing angle in a log so you won't lose your place)
  • Crtl+F3 - Spawn Spacecraft (You can control these but it's a bit cumbersome and lovely, but they make for good pictures)
  • F11 - Screenshot
  • Esc - Menu

And of course, screenshots:
s.i.r.e.

Rollofthedice

TildeATH
Minrad
GuardianofAsgard
mudlark

sigher fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tips/Troubleshooting:

The game will crash, and usually when you're exploring some really cool planet; I suggest logging the Location (F6) if you find a planet you know you want to photograph the poo poo out of and then next time you run the game you'll start off in the same spot. If you crash before you remembered to save you can jot down the name of the planet and set it as a marker next time you run so you can just fly to it immediately.

Give the game time to render everything out, if you set the LOD to 2 it's going to take a while for landscapes to load up and different chunks of a planets' surface will want to load in if move around too much or shift camera angles. The better your video card the better the game will run, so keep that in mind. The more load the game falls under the better chance it has of crashing.

On the technical side of things, in the config folder open the main.cfg file with Notepad and change the following to "true"
VideoMemoryStartupDetect
VideoMemoryDynamicDetect

This will allow SpaceEngine to find out what your VRAM is on start-up and while it runs so you don't have to guess as to what you have if you don't know, the frequency of my crashing has diminished thanks to this. The default is 2GB for some reason.

There were some issues with ATI cards in older versions of SE and I don't know if they're still in, so I'll just leave this in from the previous OP:

quote:

This :turianass:game:turianass: sucks and doesn't work!
If it's crashing too much for you try one of the following:
-Go into the config folder and open the file "main". Set the r_VideoMemory to what your vram is.
-Try running it in XP compatibility mode.
-While in-game press F4 and turn off some of the procedural options.

Also, other possible things to try for crashing on start:
try set these to true (or false depends on experimenting) in main.cfg
r_BugClipping false // distant galaxies clipping
r_BugCraters true // procedural craters bug on ATI
r_BugMipmaps true // mipmap generation bug on ATI

also ensure You don't increased some values too much
e.g. r_VideoMemory 950
instead of 1023/1024

if you have enough freespace and memory increase the cache values
r_gal_ModelCacheSize 300 // galaxy models cache size
r_gal_SysModelCacheSize 300 // galaxy subsystem cache size
r_cl_StarModelCacheSize 900 // star cluster subsystem cache size

Special thanks to zombii and the others who first found this.

Running an NVidia card and graphics drivers past 337.XX? You'll need this:

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, there's an unofficial "fix" for nVidia cards. YMMV.

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/4-2500-1

Only saw on the Facebook page.

sigher fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
This should be in the OP:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

This should be in the OP:

I like that, but my astrophysicist side is yelling at me to run some numbers to see if a tidally locked planet could maintain a hemispherical liquid water environment.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Well, how far is it from it's parent star?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

goatface posted:

I like that, but my astrophysicist side is yelling at me to run some numbers to see if a tidally locked planet could maintain a hemispherical liquid water environment.
Out of curiosity, why do you think it might not be able to?

I never even considered the crazy weather systems of a tidally locked planet with an atmosphere before finding one in this game, and the idea is fascinating. In addition to the sun constantly being in the exact same spot in the sky, there'd be a constant wind blowing across the surface towards the warmest point (causing that big cyclone in the picture), where the air would warm, rise, and blow all the way back to the dark side of the planet before sinking.

That's such a cool concept.

Can you get tidally locked gas giants? And if so, what the heck would they look like?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Eiba posted:

I never even considered the crazy weather systems of a tidally locked planet with an atmosphere before finding one in this game, and the idea is fascinating. In addition to the sun constantly being in the exact same spot in the sky, there'd be a constant wind blowing across the surface towards the warmest point (causing that big cyclone in the picture), where the air would warm, rise, and blow all the way back to the dark side of the planet before sinking.

That's such a cool concept.

Can you get tidally locked gas giants? And if so, what the heck would they look like?

I sure hope it's possible. A world that is covered in ice on one half, and dominated by a near constant massive hurricane on the pole of the other half, would be a hell of a setting for a story.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

UP AND ADAM posted:

Tell me about it. This game is like an existential nightmare the moment you zoom past all of creation until just blackness surrounds you.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
This game is really loving cool. I wasted hours zooming around back on my old machine that could barely run the game and I forgot about it until now, time to give it a shot on this new beastly computer and see how gorgeous the universe is :allears:

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
Here, have a screen shot:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Like the OP! Been a long time coming. However, I reckon:

UP AND ADAM posted:

This should be at the top of the OP. Along with a shot of some far-flung moon/planet with a gently caress-off massive galaxy just chillin in the background:
(Minrad)
or perhaps this
(GuardianofAsgard)
or possibly this?
mudlark

Just because that's what Space Engine does for me; makes me feel really loving tiny and insignificant. And it's awesome.

yulia tymotebow posted:

Here, have a screen shot:

If you turn up 'LandscapeLOD' in the settings, you should get much higher detail landscape textures, though they take a while to load.

e:

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

This game is really loving cool. I wasted hours zooming around back on my old machine that could barely run the game and I forgot about it until now, time to give it a shot on this new beastly computer and see how gorgeous the universe is :allears:

Post screens!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Put this in the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9YziEglkk

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

It's so easy to lose the sense of scale, too. But when you start grasping it again, well, let's just say this game is a continual explosion of mindbogglyness.

My latest Space Engine Moment was when I first realized how many goddamn times the speed of light one had to go to appreciate any sense of parallax between the stars.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

It seems like an overly simplistic result, especially for a planet that has considerable landmass like that one. The oceans would transmit considerable heat compared to solid surface, producing significant regions of snow and ice covered landscape while the oceans remained liquid. The atmosphere would probably be rotating independently of the planet core, leading to a preferential direction of heat transfer, focussed at the equator. There could be issues with maintaining conditions in which the water at the stellar maxima isn't cold enough to freeze, or hot enough to evaporate into major cloud cover, both of which could force albedo cooling, though that would depend somewhat on the spectral output of the parent star.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This has been "out" for a while, has there seriously not been a fix for the rampant crashes?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I mean all they'd have to do is turn "ClientCrash=True" to false in the .ini and we'd be all set.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

This has been "out" for a while, has there seriously not been a fix for the rampant crashes?

There's only so much a single guy can do.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Baronjutter posted:

The game has only had 4 (I think?) releases, all of which have been months apart. It's easy to tell this is just a hobby and nothing full time. Though if he had this on Steam it could be full time.

Updated the OP.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I just went and raided /r/spaceengine to get some pretty cool shots (at least I think so) for the first page:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

What the hell is this thing even :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the orbital tracks for the comets around a star. The circles would be the orbits of the planets.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Here, have some pictures. I have them in higher resolutions if anyone is interested.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I found a planet with aurora borealis floating at the top like a halo.

It's hard to see from the surface though. :( Plus my ground textures come up like crap because my graphics card is horrible, even with LOD at 2.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 27, 2013

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I've been getting some of rings from the surface of worlds.

edit:

Oh and I found a supernova remnant in one of the Magellanic Clouds..

..and in the centre a 20km wide neutron star, spinning wildly. It was even lensing, slightly.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 27, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

We had some static pictures, now it's time for moving ones:

These are from Sunday Punch:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Palpek posted:

We had some static pictures, now it's time for moving ones:

How fitting that I was listening to God Moving Over the Face of the Waters by Moby when I clicked this thread. :allears:

Shame on you if you don't load up the best ambient tracks before starting a journey in Space Engine.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This piece of software should be in every classroom in every school in every country.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Palpek posted:

These are from Sunday Punch:

Is there some kind of post editing going on with the details on the planet popping up after entering the atmosphere? I have a fairly beastly computer but that level of detail takes 5-10 minutes to render for me and I'm wondering if there's some way to speed it up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's a fast-loading option you can enable under the graphics settings, not too sure how much quicker things load up and if that's at the expense of any details.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I am having the worst time getting this game to run. I can play it for about 5 to 10 minutes but it always seems to crash during a really fast warping section

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

thomawesome posted:

I am having the worst time getting this game to run. I can play it for about 5 to 10 minutes but it always seems to crash during a really fast warping section

Yeah, I'd be happy to buy this on steam or something for how ever much the dev wanted to sell it for if I could play it for more than a few min without crashing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

thomawesome posted:

What's your graphics card? My laptop has a GeForce 670MX and while it runs the game well and renders everything in high detail (after a bit of waiting) if I go too fast it's guaranteed to crash. Leaving a Galaxy is impossible unless I slowly inch out of it or I warp somewhere. My desktop has a 660 Ti and speeding around all over the place is no issue, if I go too fast in the Universe section, where every dot is a Galaxy, it'll crash but it fairs a great deal better.

Basically the better your GPU the less you'll crash and the more you'll be able to enjoy this.

As for Steam, apparently Vladmir (the author) doesn't like it because it "takes money from the developers" or something along those lines but equally as dumb. There isn't a :psyduck: big enough. Though, if he did put it on Steam he could probably live off of this program and update more frequently and sell it as middleware.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting to get this game whenever I am home. :smith:

I need to put down a reminder or something, this looks bloody amazing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't done much with Space Engine for several months after the first thread became less active, but it entered my thoughts a few hours ago and lo and behold there's a new thread and at least two new releases! When I loaded up Space Engine, I was immediately greeted by one of those badass half-frozen planets like the one posted earlier.

There's Large Magellanic Cloud in the background.

Here's some more against the backdrop of the Milky Way. I'm not sure what that thing floating off to the right of the planet is, and unfortunately I didn't notice until I was looking at the screenshots later so I guess it's going to remain a mystery.

The Eagle Nebula is apparently all up in this planet's face too.

A view of the resident star from the frozen over half of the planet. I think I'm gonna see about exploring that bunch of stars off to the left later. Edit: Actually, that isn't a bunch of stars, but a bunch of planets in the same solar system really close to each other.

Here's an ugly shot of a crater on the not-frozen side, note the swirling clouds above that form the big fuckoff storm. Also, apparently this planet is by some miracle supporting life, so I guess that maybe that black stuff encircling the crater is some sort of algae or something. I saw a lot of that white stuff on the mountaintops so maybe that's snow I dunno.

Edit: Let's look at some more stuff because Space Engine has cool stuff around every corner.

Somehow I managed to miss this moon around the half-frozen planet, it looks like a pretty ho-hum standard desert moon, but let's take a look for the hell of it.

Oh, it has an aurora, that's kind of neat.

There's a little storm doing it's thing.

:monocle: But what is this? It appears that there are two auroras going on at the same time!

There's the half-frozen planet just to the upper-left.

Speaking of that half-frozen planet, here's a little detail I just noticed. It appears that there is an unfrozen lake not too insignificant a distance in the frozen side of the planet. :iiam:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 31, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Somebody needs to set a movie/shooter on that planet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to try this so badly, but it crashes immediately as soon as I click "Planetarium." I've only actually gotten into the game once, and as soon as I clicked on a star it immediately crashed. I tried setting the video memory to autodetect but that hasn't done anything to help at all. Any suggestions?

Like, I know that Russian games are notorious for their poor coding, but this is just ridiculous.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
This game gives me some serious vertigo. Some deep part of my brain just burns alarms down my spine whenever I close in on a planet or cruise at fantastic velocities through space.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Revener posted:

This game gives me some serious vertigo. Some deep part of my brain just burns alarms down my spine whenever I close in on a planet or cruise at fantastic velocities through space.

The worst thing is when the framerate dips a bit to load something while your moving and you accidentally end up hurtling way past whatever you were going towards. :stonk: Also, getting a little too close to gas giants makes me feel a little bit freaked out.

Sagebrush posted:

I want to try this so badly, but it crashes immediately as soon as I click "Planetarium." I've only actually gotten into the game once, and as soon as I clicked on a star it immediately crashed. I tried setting the video memory to autodetect but that hasn't done anything to help at all. Any suggestions?

Like, I know that Russian games are notorious for their poor coding, but this is just ridiculous.

Just throwing it out there, but are sure as to whether your specs are up to par with this game? Because Space Engine is pretty intensive for that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Sagebrush posted:

What are your specs?

You need a pretty beastly computer since the program is actually rendering everything in real time rather than just loading up pre-made assets. It's creating galaxies/stars/planets/atmosphere/mountains/lakes/craters from its' algorithms rather than loading ones that have already been created.

• Locked thread