Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have a GeForce 540M and it's good enough to explore Space with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man I cannot for the life of me figure out the controls in this thing. I want to enjoy space but am I not supposed to be playing with a keyboard and mouse or something?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Baronjutter posted:

Man I cannot for the life of me figure out the controls in this thing. I want to enjoy space but am I not supposed to be playing with a keyboard and mouse or something?

Left-drag to turn the camera, right-drag to rotate around the selected object if you're following it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Baronjutter posted:

It is very much designed for a mouse and keyboard. It just takes some learning. Basic controls are:

WASD like in a shooter. Click and drag to rotate camera. Scroll wheel to adjust speed, Q and E to roll camera. R and F to move up and down.

Then, for advanced controls:

Along the sides of the screen, there are various hidden panels that can be activated if you hover over them. Most of the controls in the game can be accessed from these panels. Most of the things you can do in the game are acessible from these 4 panels, though everything also has a keyboard shortcut which can be found in the menu, and you'll probably want to learn the shortcut for your most used functions.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

post more pics you motherfuckers

Fine!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Noice

Instead of pretty shots, look at this strange-rear end binary system. There's a brown dwarf with a planet of its own (which has a moon of its own) orbiting the yellow giant (with planets of its own)...but beyond that point, orbiting both(?) is still a huge planetary system:

I never knew that could happen!

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 12, 2015

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Just found the happiest planet ever.

The interesting thing? Organic multicellular aerial life.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Just found the happiest planet ever.

The interesting thing? Organic multicellular aerial life.

Hah, I found something similar to that this morning.

It blows my mind that a program like this actually exists, where you can go to every single one of the millions of stars you see and look at every single planet.

I like blue things :3:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

MrSmokes posted:

It blows my mind that a program like this actually exists, where you can go to every single one of the millions of stars you see and look at every single planet.
Don't forget the trillions of stars you can't see. What blows my mind is how good it looks while still being procedurally-generated (with the exception of catalogue stuff).

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
I love this thing.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I have a fairly powerful computer, but the game doesn't seem to be generating the magical graphics I see in the various screenshots posted. Is there something I should be doing besides updating the graphics settings, or settings I might be overlooking?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I have a fairly powerful computer, but the game doesn't seem to be generating the magical graphics I see in the various screenshots posted. Is there something I should be doing besides updating the graphics settings, or settings I might be overlooking?

Make sure your level-of-detail slider is all the way to right, and then have patients. It can take a while for the game to generate the highest-LOD mesh. Wait until the spinner in the upper right stops to know that it has fully loaded the view.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Holy crap, accretion disks will be coming in 0.7.9.4 apparently:

Apparently he's modelling it so that when you push in beyond he event horizon the universe shrinks down, not sure if that's in line with the theory but pretty loving cool anyway.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
I heard this game is still fun. Anybody want to play this game with me?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it a game?

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
Yes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But it's not multiplayer?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I've been messing around with the new Cylindrical camera projection in the 0.9.7.4 beta patch, it makes 360 videos a whole lot easier to make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=678XGgNv-h4

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Great job on pacing, the pans move fast enough as to not be visually boring and you provide enough verbal information at a rate you can comprehend most of it without speaking so fast that it all gets rushed together.

What's the deal with the european robotic arm? I hadn't heard of that previously.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

illectro posted:

I've been messing around with the new Cylindrical camera projection in the 0.9.7.4 beta patch, it makes 360 videos a whole lot easier to make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=678XGgNv-h4
This is interesting and awesome! Also any exposure for Space Engine is good (though I would've thought there's a higher-res Earth texture out there somewhere? I recall they might be pretty big downloads though.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So after the next release, we're going to see a release on Steam so we can toss money to him and get patches and updates without having to go through the site. Pretty cool.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not Space Engine, but worthy of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTpL1A2tkYg

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So you can get the "beta" version of 0.9.7.4 here. Everything seems stable so far on my end and the changelog is massive, we can't hide things behind spoilers on SA can we? I'd post it here but it's too drat long.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Time for the biannual trip to outer space. Thanks for the update.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looks like max surface LOD is limited to +1 in the menu now - you have to use console to get it to +2. Other changes sound cool!
Has anyone tried this with Rift CV1/Vive yet?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

El Grillo posted:

Looks like max surface LOD is limited to +1 in the menu now - you have to use console to get it to +2. Other changes sound cool!
Has anyone tried this with Rift CV1/Vive yet?

Does it actually have Vive support? I remember reading that it was being worked on, but I didn't know it was added yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not yet, he's working on it but you still can get it to work but good luck: you have to run the game rendering in stereoscopic and use something like Virtual Desktop to get it to show on the Vive correctly, the problem for me was that my 970 was not up to snuff to get it running like this and it chugged flickered and was generally unplayable. Also the distance between the "eyes" in game looks really really hosed up and was making me nauseous. I'm sure once it has proper Vive support it'll work fine but this is the only (lovely) way to get it working that I know of now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well yeah, unless you place your virtual eyes lightyears apart, 3D is kinda pointless in space. Not for the faint of heart.

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
What's everyone using for graphics settings for the best looking screenshots? I have everything set to max and i messed with mag limit and object lighting and its looking pretty drat good. I am currently using some settings I found one of the SE forum admins posted and its pretty rad. Anyone know of any config tweaks to pull a little more out of it?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
edit: sorry wrong thread

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

0.9.8.0 is out!

Now features accretion disks, alien vegetation on Titan-type world with terrestrial life, new atmosphere models, various texture improvements, huge updates to the star catalogue, various UI updates, a few improvements to the planet browser, and a bunch of other changes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Flagrant Abuse posted:

0.9.8.0 is out!

Now features accretion disks, alien vegetation on Titan-type world with terrestrial life, new atmosphere models, various texture improvements, huge updates to the star catalogue, various UI updates, a few improvements to the planet browser, and a bunch of other changes.

Fuuuuuuck yes, though, I'm not sure why it's not on Steam like he said it'd be but gently caress it I guess.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone got shots of accretion disks/new black holes/new neutron stars? It doesn't run on my laptop here :(
Spaceship stuff also looks like it might actually be useable now too with autopilot etc.
Here's the full list of changes to astronomical objects:

quote:

Procedural planets and stars:

New physically accurate rendering of black holes, neutron stars and white dwarves with accretion disksChemical composition of planetary atmospheresUpdated palettes for titans and iceworldsAlien vegetation on titans with terrestrial lifeReduced too-common impact basins on titans and iceworldsSuppressed mountain generation in impact basinsRandom global tint of planets in shades of brownPolar caps on cold selenas and iceworlds (Ganymede-like and Pluto-like thin frost deposit)Animated surface of neutron stars and white dwarvesImproved rendering of late M-dwarves and brown dwarvesSmoother solar spotsIntegrated Klud's mods for selenas and asteroidsImproved asteroid surface texturesImproved giant stars surface texturesImproved craters shapeNew atmosphere models by HarbingerDawnNew volcanosNew cyclones on terrestral planetsNew cyclones and textures on gas giantsDetail-less gas giants like UranusHaze-like cloud layer on cold and hot gas giantsFaint Jupiter-like ringsFixed unrealistic rings in binary planet systemsBinary planets can have outer moonsOption to change hue and saturation of atmosphere for each planet, integrated to scripts and editorFixed seams in terrain textures and meshes on procedural planetsDetail specular bump mapping on planets

I assume alien vegetation just means a new texture though lol, if he'd managed to implement actual plants that would be ridiculous.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'll take more screenshots later, I only had a few minutes to play with it. The game seems to be a lot more stable and it runs a lot smoother.

Check out this acid planet that's saved in the log book :stare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I decided to check out the new black holes and stuff:

This galaxy looked good so I went closer.

The stars around the black hole are pretty sweet.

The black hole:

Closer:

Closer still:

Looking back at the galaxy around it, everything became warped and blue:

All blue:

But then...

I went even closer... and went into it:

The whole universe was contained in this marble:

I kept going further:

Until there was nothing:

:stare:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
gently caress that's awesome. Thanks for the pics!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Now communicate with your family using the power of love.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

The Tadpool Galaxy has a star inside the event horizon of its supermassive black hole. :staredog:

e: Everyone go to RS 0-5-21650-271-9069-8-7109086-167 A12 right now.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 5, 2016

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Anyone got shots of accretion disks/new black holes/new neutron stars? It doesn't run on my laptop here :(
Spaceship stuff also looks like it might actually be useable now too with autopilot etc.
Here's the full list of changes to astronomical objects:

I assume alien vegetation just means a new texture though lol, if he'd managed to implement actual plants that would be ridiculous.

Found a planet being illuminated by an accretion disk

I noticed I could see bands in the terrain now too, I don't know if that's a new feature or if it was always there though.

Other random pics. The way space engine does atmospheres looks really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

These are fantastic.

• Locked thread