Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Michaellaneous posted:

Also, I saw some of you guys with very high rez pictures. What did I miss, can I somehow crank this beast up even more?

Pretty sure you can run it at whatever resolution you want if you've got the hardware, I know if I put it in windowed mode I can stretch it across my multiple monitors for some super widescreen shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Snowflake planet?

Looks like ejecta patterns from meteor impacts.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Looks like ejecta patterns from meteor impacts.

That may be it, yeah. I especially like those two.

They formed such a beautiful pattern. I guess because this is one of the poles?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Massive polar ice caps on this beaut:

EDIT: Question: Is adding music to the soundtrack as simple as copying and pasting MP3's into the music folder playlist in the game directory? And is there a way to manually switch tracks within the program, or no? I see that there are 3 settings (contextual playlist, play from start, and random playlist), but what would be considered the start? The newest song in the folder? The oldest?

Gonz fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 19, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Thought this was a nice shot. There is a third star hiding somewhere in the system too:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

That may be it, yeah. I especially like those two.

They formed such a beautiful pattern. I guess because this is one of the poles?

I was curious about that too. It's possible if the planet's crust was strongly ferromagnetic that it might form field patterns around the poles. It'd be neat if so.

Edit: Either that or the planet is home to the universe's largest species of huntsman spider.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
My guess is a coordinate transform issue when mapping the texture!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Getting a bit better at this:

EDIT: Found the Horse Head Nebula by accident:

Gonz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 21, 2014

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Pretty sure you can run it at whatever resolution you want if you've got the hardware, I know if I put it in windowed mode I can stretch it across my multiple monitors for some super widescreen shots.

There used to be a way to make panoramic screenshots but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. This is one I made a couple of years ago, I'm sure it was something in spaceengine itself, but I couldn't find anything on google.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
drat, nice views on this moon:

Found the Eye of Sauron:

Really though just an unlucky planet:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 22, 2014

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This game taught me about Haumea, a dwarf planet at the edges of our solar system. It's shaped like a skipping stone.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I recently got a Radeon HD7750 and tried this out and planet surfaces still look hosed up for me even on LOD 2. Drivers are updated and everything too, do I have to wait a while for it to render or something?

For context this is what Galatea looks like:

I tried some of the procedural planets but I don't know if the surfaces look good compared to what everyone else has.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 26, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Zeether posted:

I recently got a Radeon HD7750 and tried this out and planet surfaces still look hosed up for me even on LOD 2. Drivers are updated and everything too, do I have to wait a while for it to render or something?

It does take some time - look for the loading animation in the upper-right corner - but something's definitely not right with your pics. Here how it looks on a Radeon 6870 (note that I did supersample these shots) :

Surface shot:

This system sits at the edge of a star cluster which is itself sitting very close to a galaxy. One hell of a night sky.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I waited for the whole thing to load but it still doesn't look as good. I'm not sure what the problem is because my card should be capable of doing better than my old lovely GT220 but it still looks like rear end.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I remember in older versions there were always problems with ati cards, maybe that's still the case?

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

seravid posted:

It does take some time - look for the loading animation in the upper-right corner - but something's definitely not right with your pics. Here how it looks on a Radeon 6870 (note that I did supersample these shots) :

Surface shot:

This system sits at the edge of a star cluster which is itself sitting very close to a galaxy. One hell of a night sky.

This is probably a difficult question to answer but how powerful would a computer need to be to get graphics looking this good in real-time (ie without having to wait for it to load)?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tgent posted:

This is probably a difficult question to answer but how powerful would a computer need to be to get graphics looking this good in real-time (ie without having to wait for it to load)?

Considering it's really GPU heavy you're going to want a beefy card more than anything, I have a GTX 780 and landing on a planet it can still take around 15 seconds to get everything to the highest level of detail since it also renders stuff in the distance that high too. I can't imagine what you'd need for it to be instant.

Also, updates from the Facebook with new features:
"Glowing Planets" I don't know how scientifically sound this is, but they look neat:

City Lights on Earth:

Volcanos on Io:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Wonder how those rivers of lava look up close.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I found a "scorched ice giant" that's basically skimming the surface of its star. Not sure what kind of ice can survive those 1800 K temperatures...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Bubbacub posted:

I found a "scorched ice giant" that's basically skimming the surface of its star. Not sure what kind of ice can survive those 1800 K temperatures...

Can any planet be that close to a star?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ToastyPotato posted:

They'd have to be orbiting each other at some insane speed, so probably not ever realistically feasible.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Couple of screenshots of the planet you start next to, increasingly farther from the surface:

I love how natural the terrain looks in that first shot.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

ToastyPotato posted:

Yes, but not for long. In fact, we've observed gas giants in very, very close orbits that we believe are steadily decaying and going to literally 'fall into' the sun (or, more accurately, be stripped by the sun on the way in). WASP 19b, for instance, orbits at only around .015AU - that's vastly closer than any Solar body, for reference. So while a planet that close is fairly unlikely, it's certainly possible - especially for short periods of time, right before its final, cataclysmic end.

Here, an orbit of about .240 AU, you're absolutely fine. HIP 7597 1 there is actually at quite a reasonable distance. We've observed, in real life, stars with their entire system (or just about, e.g. Kepler 11) lying within .25AU. HIP 7597 - in the sim (it's actually a red giant IRL) - is about 4 solar masses. So far it's much more likely to have very close orbits of smaller stars but there's really nothing preventing close orbits of larger ones other than the difficulty in a planet forming that close. This isn't prohibitive - planets may have been captured from more eccentric orbits, for instance.

Skyl3lazer posted:

They'd have to be orbiting each other at some insane speed, so probably not ever realistically feasible.

Not quite. Some basic maths - and I'm terrible at maths so if you want to check, that's probably a good idea - says it only needs an orbital speed of about 126km/s. There are much faster bodies that are just fine at that speed.

The thing with that picture, while beautiful, is that it's misleading. What matters for planetary stability is not the visual - it's taken from a good angle - it's the data:science:. The two are nowhere near as close or similar in size as the image would depict.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 1, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Any game that has to do with individual spaceship micromanagement in this engine would probably be boring and terrible.

If anything, this engine needs to host games that are basically universally scaled RTS / 4x games. Ideally you could still zoom around the universe like you're in Planetarium mode, but within a planet's atmosphere, all units move realistically, or at least at normalized speed. Transferring things from one planet / solar system / galaxy to another should be near instant for the sake of fun.

I mean can you imagine playing a Supreme Commander / Distant Worlds-like 4x in an engine like this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I mean can you imagine playing a Supreme Commander / Distant Worlds-like 4x in an engine like this?

A game where you never have to attack because there's more than enough for everybody.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

"Ice giant" is a bit of a misnomer. In this context (astronomers love to redefine common words) "ice" is being used to emphasise that a large fraction of the object is made up of substances that form ices (water, methane, ammonia etc) rather than just hydrogen and helium.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

MikeJF posted:

A game where you never have to attack because there's more than enough for everybody.

:unsmith:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Hell, if we're talking about 'what kind of game to make in this engine', how about a city builder? The ultimate city builder. Your subliminal colony ship arrives at its procedurally-generated destination system with a cargo of frozen colonists and basic equipment, you pick an uncharted world to land on and start building up a colony on there. Gradually expand to other sites on the planet, or to other planets and moons in the system, eventually expand to the point that you can build another colony ship and move on to another system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

Hell, if we're talking about 'what kind of game to make in this engine', how about a city builder? The ultimate city builder. Your subliminal colony ship arrives at its procedurally-generated destination system with a cargo of frozen colonists and basic equipment, you pick an uncharted world to land on and start building up a colony on there. Gradually expand to other sites on the planet, or to other planets and moons in the system, eventually expand to the point that you can build another colony ship and move on to another system.

That... is a massive game that barely uses this engine. Creating a procedural star/landscape system creator (that only has to deal with a few at a time) would be the easiest part of what you describe.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 8, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
They just need to completely remake Distant Worlds in this engine.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

MikeJF posted:

That... is a massive game that barely uses this engine. Creating a procedural star/landscape system creator (that only has to deal with a few at a time) would be the easiest part of what you describe.

Yeah, I didn't say it was even remotely feasible, but man would it be cool if it was.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star Citizen raises millions upon millions and this guy struggles to break $100,000. :smith:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Post more pretty things

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Raskolnikov posted:

Star Citizen raises millions upon millions and this guy struggles to break $100,000. :smith:

Clearly he should start pledge tiers for stellar phenomena. $50 for your own personal quasar! :science:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This thread's been quiet for a while

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DarkCrawler posted:

This thread's been quiet for a while

Sadly, so has the Facebook. I don't know if the author is more active on the forums but the Facebook hasn't seen an update in a month. :smith: I don't think development has stopped, but it was always nice to update the thread with new features he was implementing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Sire Oblivion posted:

Sadly, so has the Facebook. I don't know if the author is more active on the forums but the Facebook hasn't seen an update in a month. :smith: I don't think development has stopped, but it was always nice to update the thread with new features he was implementing.

AFAIR, he's taken a year off his job to work on it full time so I expect he's just head down and coding, aside from posting on the official forums.

Still more productivity than Flavian ever put out with Infinity. :v:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Realistically, what could this engine even be used for game-wise that wouldn't either be a massive undertaking (like the world's largest MMO or something) or something so trivial it hardly counts as a "game" or barely uses the engine to even the slightest bit of its potential?

It would almost be better off making it purely as a science/educational tool making the most 100% accurate, both data-wise and visually, reconstruction of the known universe. I really can't see there being a game here since the scope is just so utterly outside the imagination of any sort of game that could be both fun (don't lie to yourself, an "exploration" game would just put arbitrary restrictions on what is already there) and utilize the full scope of the engine. It would really put into perspective how utterly big the universe is when you go for days upon days not seeing any sort of NPC or human player whatsoever or getting hopelessly lost millions of lightyears away from your friends.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

Realistically, what could this engine even be used for game-wise that wouldn't either be a massive undertaking (like the world's largest MMO or something) or something so trivial it hardly counts as a "game" or barely uses the engine to even the slightest bit of its potential?

Honestly all it would take is a decent flight model and some fuel/refueling mechanics and it would be the most rewarding exploration game of all time. There wasn't a whole lot of "game" to Noctis either but it's still brought up all the time, almost 15 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone tried Rodina? I just noticed it on Steam, it looks kind of similar to Space Engine but you actually pilot a ship (which you can explore), have space dog-fights and explore planets with your ship and such. It looks pretty basic right now but the development is going to be on-going, I just don't want to take the $15 plunge.

• Locked thread