Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nothing to seehere posted:

Yea, Ivar is a nice start to introduce the new Viking stuff. I started as him, and the doomstack you start with allowed me to easily take over Northumberland and East Anglia. From there I kicked the king of Scotland around until I upsurped his title, then kicked him round some more. Inbetween I went to raids of the med, and Muslim Spain is nice raiding target, aslong as you amke sure no troops reach you.

If you take the become king of Scotland ambition as Ivar, you gain the Subjugation CB in addition to the one-province pagan conquest CB you already have. O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
How do you reform the Norse faith, anyway? I couldn't see a tooltip for it when I was hovering over things in the Religion panel. Do you personally have to own all the religious sites (or is it a certain number of them?) or can it be reformed so long as anyone of the Norse faith holds those sites?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
Just grabbed some of the DLC's I didn't have yet since they are 75% off on Steam right now. Going to wait and see how Old Gods seems before I consider forking over my money. The idea of pillaging poo poo from the whole of Europe (or Westeros!) sounds incredibly enticing. They should have had that in the vanilla game.

Edit: Wait... according to the patch notes, pillaging is in the vanilla game now too. Kickass. It's time for me to burn poo poo!

Yureina fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 28, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Holy poo poo, Ivar just got the Berserker trait leading an army at age 61. He now has 29 martial skill :psypop:

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

How do you reform Norse religions? Do you get something in the decisions menu after you hold all the holy sites? That would have been really helpful to know before I lost my grand Danish kingdom :(

Also holy hell planned invasions are cool. You get a prompt asking you which, if any, of three duchies you want to invade. I choose to prepare for an invasion of Wessex as the King of Denmark and over the next two years about 8500 soldiers gathered in my capital along with a navy large enough to hold an army twice that size. I conquered Wessex in just a few months without using a single Danish levy. Of course, fast forward about twenty years and my king dies right after subjugating most of Sweden. The new King loses the old capital and is stuck with a small province in southern Denmark and is hated by everyone in the entire kingdom. I decided to grant independence to all the dukes in England since it would be impossible to hang onto it and it was never really in my plans anyway. Every other vassal I had declared war to gain their independence too, and that's when I decided to just give up.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Inside Outside posted:

How do you reform Norse religions? Do you get something in the decisions menu after you hold all the holy sites? That would have been really helpful to know before I lost my grand Danish kingdom :(

Upper-left corner of the Religion screen. You need 3/5 Holy Sites.

Loaded up a game as Jorik, fighting Saxons and Scotsmen. Won the first war, Planned Invaded Mercia, took it, and created England.

It all went downhill from that. My heir, who went off to join the Varangians, came back a Christian, and because the Norse Faith was not reformed, I had no way in hell of getting him back.

But I should have taken down Wessex before they became an unstoppable juggernaut that rolled over me with alliances and other things.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Qwo posted:

How do you reform the Norse faith, anyway? I couldn't see a tooltip for it when I was hovering over things in the Religion panel. Do you personally have to own all the religious sites (or is it a certain number of them?) or can it be reformed so long as anyone of the Norse faith holds those sites?

Inside Outside posted:

There's a button on the religion screen, in the upper left. I don't know if all the holy sites need to be controlled by Norsies, but I do know you don't need to own all of them personally. Three sites and 50% authority will do it.

e:f,b

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's hard to have 50 authority if the faith doesn't control all the sites though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad looting and pillaging is in...as soon as the GoT mod gets updated, I'll finally be able to properly pay the Iron Price as the Greyjoy family.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Don't forget to park a fleet by your raiders while looting. I must've looted several thousand ducats while burning Scotland and a traitorous Ivar that went Catholic, except I forgot to do that. :doh:

Though I'm not sure what happens if the raid targets border your counties or aren't on the coast. Sometimes I could clearly see money going into my treasury, sometimes not at all. There was even a time where I raided a coastal province that had both a fleet and one of my counties beside it, but I wasn't sure if I was getting the loot or not.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My duke reclaimed his lost duchy, hit 16 and became a grey eminence (26 diplomacy now!), and picked up the +12 glowing axe from an Irish raid.

And then the King of Sweden (and some bits of the Baltic coast) declared war on me. If I can survive, I can probably turn the tables in a few years and bring the might of the united Scandinavian Empire down on Europe with a generation. If not, well, playing Norse seems to be easy come easy go.

Paradox's next promo video should be a CK2-themed Bohemian Rhapsody.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

To get in on the fun before CK2+ hits I wanna make an insane super viking. What's the edit you need to do to remove the costs of positive/negative traits in the Ruler Designer?

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Damnit, neither the patch nor the DLC will take effect. I've deleted everything and redownloaded, but still nothing :(

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Canopus250 posted:

To get in on the fun before CK2+ hits I wanna make an insane super viking. What's the edit you need to do to remove the costs of positive/negative traits in the Ruler Designer?

Find common/defines.lua in the game folder, ctrl-f for RulerDesigner and set whichever values to 0.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Gavelkind seems to be a lot more logical with the division of the inheritance now. It's pretty great.

vvv: reform the faith

Kainser fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 28, 2013

crm
Oct 24, 2004

You can't un-gavelkind the Pagans?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

crm posted:

You can't un-gavelkind the Pagans?

Not if you are unreformed. I would bet good, and large amounts, of money that this is the first thing changed in the mods scene.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yureina posted:

Just grabbed some of the DLC's I didn't have yet since they are 75% off on Steam right now. Going to wait and see how Old Gods seems before I consider forking over my money. The idea of pillaging poo poo from the whole of Europe (or Westeros!) sounds incredibly enticing. They should have had that in the vanilla game.

Edit: Wait... according to the patch notes, pillaging is in the vanilla game now too. Kickass. It's time for me to burn poo poo!

Yes the looting system is implemented in vanilla, but for the few norse NPC's that you cannot play as because they are pagans. So you cannot ever raid until you have ToG, only have the AI raid you.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I can't believe how fun vikings are.

I looted tons of money and prestige, formed sweden and then took a concubine who later plotted against me so I jailed her and sacrificed her at Blot.

That was the most fun I've ever had with ck2 and probably the best I've ever done.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

There's a pack on Amazon that has the base game, all pre-old gods DLC, and CK1 for $15. They're steam codes. I'd buy that.

So that, plus The Old Gods?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can swear fealty as a king to an emperor. Is that new with The Old Gods?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Greek love? I already have 4 other gay children, it should be called Norse love. :v:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Torrannor posted:

I can swear fealty as a king to an emperor. Is that new with The Old Gods?

I think you've always been able to do that if they're your de jure liege.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fun game is to start as Genghis in the Mongols bookmark, and see how far west you can take his 60,000 horse archer doomstack through invasions. I managed to slaughter my way through to France before combined French and English forces finally broke the horde in an epic battle before the walls of Paris. Needless to say, the empire was crumbling behind me as I went, but it was pretty awesome.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

And I just had the AI reform Tengrism in 919, by Hungary and Norse is only 1 easy war away from being reformed by the AI. Pagans early-game are really powerful.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Potentially dumb question, but how do I get to the people finder? I've always had trouble finding people outside of my court, and this might be the reason. I don't even know how to look at other people's councils :smith:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bottom right, below minimap.

Also, Paradox stop importing EU3 problems into CK2! First rebel ping-pong and now this

This time its Tengri Hungary though.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
How many drat provinces do you need to form Norway? It's getting tiresome beating up every little count.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Rebels don't really pingpong, they are mini-wars. You get warscore against them every battle even if you don't kill them all outright, and you always have the chance of capturing their leader.

HUN is the perfect opposite of EUIII though, here steppe nomads pour out and settle Hungary instead of the other way around! The eastern 'tail' tends to drop off as they settle down in the west.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Rebels don't really pingpong, they are mini-wars. You get warscore against them every battle even if you don't kill them all outright, and you always have the chance of capturing their leader.

HUN is the perfect opposite of EUIII though, here steppe nomads pour out and settle Hungary instead of the other way around! The eastern 'tail' tends to drop off as they settle down in the west.

Yes, they are mini-wars, but the armies still ping-pong. Since they have no morale and run quickly, you don't kill many of them, leading to the battle only giving a small increase in warscore after the first time you beat them. Even if you can capture the leader while doing this, it is still a pain and the old rebellion mechanic was working fine I thought.

The HUN thing was just something amusing I'd though I'd share, they formed the kingdom of Hungary early in the 870s and then went west again instead of continuing east. They reformed in 919, which was much earlier than I expected.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lord Tywin posted:

How many drat provinces do you need to form Norway? It's getting tiresome beating up every little count.
Look at the tooltip on the "Create" button for it and you'll see how close you are.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Oh my god the become king ambition is far far far too good.

I became King of Finland in less than 15 years jut by using the CB on everyone. You spiral out of control so fast. I started as the Kola Sami. King of Finland by 880. Now I'm poking the Ruriks trying to get that last holy site.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

How do you call a great holy war once you've reformed Norse?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Playing without CK2 has made me remember how painful it is rebelling against large empires. The Byzantines are able to call an absurd number of troops when literally have one loyal vassal.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I see CK2 on sale, I have money, and read the OP. What's wrong with the Mediterranean Portraits pack?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Nightblade posted:

Greek love? I already have 4 other gay children, it should be called Norse love. :v:

I had a good run with Harald Fairhair as well. Founded Denmark, spread the faith through great invasions into Bohemia and reformed the faith all in one lifetime. This guy is unstoppable.

Beserker stat, heavy & aggressive leader. Truly the :black101:est of :black101:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Nephilm posted:

I see CK2 on sale, I have money, and read the OP. What's wrong with the Mediterranean Portraits pack?
It looks terrible. Basically, it makes all Mediterranean people look like bad muppets.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
Any tips regarding converting the heathens? I wanted to try spreading the Word of the Prophet to Scandinavia as the Abbasid Caliph, but all my Imans kept getting jailed. Then half the realm rebelled because Caliph Al Mu'tazz I is a terrible person.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Nephilm posted:

I'm in the minority here, I don't think it looks bad at all, and I like having portrait packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What am I looking at here? More importantly, how do I sacrifice people to what's-his-face-owicz?

And another question: is there any incentive to taking concubines other than flavor?

I'm having a blast with this DLC. I started as the Sorbs and, without even really trying for it, had become King of Pomerania 20 years in. That first inheritance is going to be really messy, though, and three of the Slavic holy sites are way over in the east, so we'll see how that goes.

• Locked thread