Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I want a butt on my arm so I can shoot poo. I'd be like a lovely version of Megaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Replacing someone's feet with butts should make farting noises when you walk.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A butt on your arm has a very small chance of deflecting blows like a shield. This chance is applied to every type of damage.

Baddy McTraitor throws the tank transfer valve at Steve Assistanton!
Steve Assistanton is hit by the tank transfer valve!
*BOOM!*
Your buttshield has protected you from damage!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Replace a severed head with a brain inside a butt. No internals, but every time you speak, you play the POO.wav

Also you can still wear hats - butts all the way up!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

What is going on here? (It continued on after that too)

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Admin shenanigans. These sort of rounds always end well :v:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Shalhavet posted:

Admin shenanigans. These sort of rounds always end well :v:

:stare: Do they all start crammed in the captain's room with an energy gun?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

William Bear posted:

:stare: Do they all start crammed in the captain's room with an energy gun?

The energy gun is in the locker. There are 39 other captains in the room who also want it. Good luck!

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Elth posted:

The energy gun is in the locker. There are 39 other captains in the room who also want it. Good luck!

FORTY MEN ENTER

ONE ADMIN LEAVES

E: Alternately:

TESTING FOR CAPTAIN ROBUSTNESS: INCONCLUSIVE

LARGER SAMPLE SIZE NECESSARY

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
So I was talking to a guy about vampires. Apparently an admin told him that vampires are human. Which is weird cuz an admin told me that they aren't. It'd be good to know the official ruling there before I ruin some poor vampires day as a cyborg or whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
According to the wiki

Changeling / Vampire Human UNTIL the AI or cyborg WITNESSES the creature commit a non-human act (shape shifting, transforming, proboscis etc).

But on the AI page itself it says there is debates and to use your own discretion.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, if a vampire and/or changeling makes a really strong case to you that they're human, I always think you should feel free to be a little lax there. There's nothing better than when an antag gets themselves out of a sticky situation using their words and wit. :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

So, SS13 is more like Dwarf Fortress now? When's the skin and muscle layers being implemented as separate entities?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I feel like a snippet from one of my favorite rounds that I've been in needs to be reposted from the last thread-

This is a queen clownspider meat cake. It is a tiny item.
Mmm! A delicious-looking queen clownspider meat cake!
It has Bath Salts icing.

And the beast itself

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

So, SS13 is more like Dwarf Fortress now? When's the skin and muscle layers being implemented as separate entities?

I think those lines when you cut people's arms off and the text when they get dismembered by explosions are more references to DF rather than a new body system.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, if a vampire and/or changeling makes a really strong case to you that they're human, I always think you should feel free to be a little lax there. There's nothing better than when an antag gets themselves out of a sticky situation using their words and wit. :allears:

Basically, don't be a metagaming dickwad. It's more fun for everyone that way.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Also, as this happened earlier, if you are an antag and become a cyborg you don't get to pick and choose which of the AI's laws you wish to follow.

Or argue with the AI and threaten to make the crew suspect it of being hacked.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 3, 2013

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Black Pants posted:

Also, as this happened earlier, if you are an antag and become a cyborg you don't get to pick and choose which of the AI's laws you wish to follow.

Or argue with the AI and threaten to make the crew suspect it of being hacked.

Also, the robotics computer that can killswitch a borg is inside the AI's area. Make use of it if borgs are being shitheads.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

BlueDestiny posted:

Also, the robotics computer that can killswitch a borg is inside the AI's area. Make use of it if borgs are being shitheads.

Or just ask one of the non-shithead borgs to kill the other borg. I've been asked to "dispose of" borgs before, as a borg, if they were acting up.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The highs for this game are very high, but the lows are very frequent. Getting murdered by some guy who can robust better than you do gets old after the 5th time you get killed 5 minutes into the round :shepface:

I think I'm gonna take a break from this game for a while.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
When that happens I just leave and do something else. I've got War Thunder and World of Tanks to play and an average space station 13 game is a couple games of that.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
You can also just go to the other server. That's what I do sometimes.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Yeah, I've noticed recently there's been one borg in particular that seems to be lovely.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kinetica posted:

Yeah, I've noticed recently there's been one borg in particular that seems to be lovely.

Are you ahelping these things, or relying on server admins to tap into their latent telepathic powers to determine the source of your aggrivation and grief? Even if they're tuned into deadchat, sometimes they won't notice something because they're playing or tabbed out or just flat out distracted by something else.

Remember that Gibbed has that wonderful system of ahelps getting sent to a private IRC channel the admins hang out in, so even if none are on or appear to be on, your complaint can still be noticed and acted on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I am, its really lovely when a "i am the only human" law gets added (no other laws) and the bots take it as an excuse to go on a rampage.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Are you ahelping these things, or relying on server admins to tap into their latent telepathic powers to determine the source of your aggrivation and grief? Even if they're tuned into deadchat, sometimes they won't notice something because they're playing or tabbed out or just flat out distracted by something else.

Remember that Gibbed has that wonderful system of ahelps getting sent to a private IRC channel the admins hang out in, so even if none are on or appear to be on, your complaint can still be noticed and acted on.

The times I've noticed him being lovely no admins have been on, I completely forgot about the IRC link. :suicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just had my first successful traitor round. It was really dull compared to some but I wanted to be discreet. My objective was to just destroy the AI and survive at the end. To that end I made two syndieborgs and spent half the round looking for someone who actually wanted to be borged and not just have their arms replaced (i've started telling people to get them blown off, then come to me for them). In the end I ended up borging two people. One guy who logged off but came back halfway through the round and a wonderful guy who seemed pretty good.

Apparently borgs don't get my objectives straight away, so I just said to AI "you've got things to do, don't you?" and walked out into the tunnels. He followed me and I told him his objective. He went off and while I was reattaching some poor guys arm, I hear the AI complaining about a powersink. Smiling to myself, I just waited. Eventually the AI deployed itself into the shell which let it survive the power down (I had no idea this would happen) so I tagged along with the borg who bashed the crap out of it with a fire extinguisher.

After that I just let the borg roam free, telling it that it'd be cool if it made people think that people were loving with the doors and that he was just fixing it. He does this wonderfully and fools all the other staff into thinking that traitors were aboard. Of course, I was never doing anything overtly hostile, so nobody expected the traitor to be me. The only people who probably suspected things were the ones that died during surgery because I was "learning".

The shuttle was later called and I barely survived being on it.

In the end, The borgs and I had a brilliant round. Next time i'll probably go a bit more explosive with it though.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Archenteron posted:

I constantly see people whining in deadchat about a non-traitor killing them or whatever, but they don't adminhelp it :psyduck:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I both adminhelp, and bitch about things in deadchat! :eng101:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I thought we were allowed to kill shitlords, can't we just kill the borg?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I constantly see people whining in deadchat about a non-traitor killing them or whatever, but they don't adminhelp it :psyduck:

This pisses me off. Earlier on I told a guy to do it, who just claimed that nothing ever gets done so there was no point. I can understand his rage though, upon realising he was a traitor (he hadn't committed any crimes yet) a roboticist stunned him and cut out his brain. Didn't even borg him. I thought it was good form to either call security and leave them alive or borg them, especially if they weren't committing crimes.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

This pisses me off. Earlier on I told a guy to do it, who just claimed that nothing ever gets done so there was no point. I can understand his rage though, upon realising he was a traitor (he hadn't committed any crimes yet) a roboticist stunned him and cut out his brain. Didn't even borg him. I thought it was good form to either call security and leave them alive or borg them, especially if they weren't committing crimes.

I think it's polite to give traitors the benefit of the doubt, especially if they haven't done anything.

I mean the alternative is, oh boy, you captured the traitor 3 minutes in, now we get to have a lovely round were nothing happens.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

On the same note, I really wish traitors would be a bit more open-minded. I can't count how many rounds I've stumbled upon a poor dude who spawned his gear in a maintenance hallway, try to be gentle and help them out, and end up with a C-saber in my back for my troubles. It's understandable, with the sheer amount of pubbies who will try and jump a traitor for his gear, but I miss the days where you could bribe a whole herd of greyshirts with nothing more than a ten-pack of mustaches and a winning smile.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm starting to find that people aren't after you straight away as long as you do your shady poo poo right in the open. Walking around with a saber? That's fine, so long as you aren't in the tunnels and explain that you "got it off a traitor".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The new "detail" customization is wonderful. By choosing bright red giant eyebrows, I can finally give The Devil his pointy red horns :allears:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Captain Bravo posted:

On the same note, I really wish traitors would be a bit more open-minded. I can't count how many rounds I've stumbled upon a poor dude who spawned his gear in a maintenance hallway, try to be gentle and help them out, and end up with a C-saber in my back for my troubles. It's understandable, with the sheer amount of pubbies who will try and jump a traitor for his gear, but I miss the days where you could bribe a whole herd of greyshirts with nothing more than a ten-pack of mustaches and a winning smile.

It's amazing and borderline rule-breaking what a lot of regular players will do in exchange for a fake mustache and a promise to not mess with them.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

dogstile posted:

I'm starting to find that people aren't after you straight away as long as you do your shady poo poo right in the open. Walking around with a saber? That's fine, so long as you aren't in the tunnels and explain that you "got it off a traitor".

I get real tired of seeing guys walking around with things like bowling shirts and c-sabers and even power sinks right in the open and no one paying them any mind, even when they start using said bowling gear and c-sabers and power sinks.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

YellerBill posted:

I get real tired of seeing guys walking around with things like bowling shirts and c-sabers and even power sinks right in the open and no one paying them any mind, even when they start using said bowling gear and c-sabers and power sinks.

Part of it is some sort of counter-culture movement where it is uncool to care about the game and where you have to let traitors have fun (eg. wanton murder/destruction/both).

"I mean, he's killing everyone with a c-saber, but he's just having fun. Chill out you play 2 win rent-a-cop, let the traitor have his gear back."

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

Daeren posted:

It's amazing and borderline rule-breaking what a lot of regular players will do in exchange for a fake mustache and a promise to not mess with them.
Is there a hard and fast rule on how far a non-antagonist can go? I would have assumed not actively killing or help to kill the crew. If I catch a traitor early in a round sometimes I let them go after gett them to promise to not be bad, or 'accidentally' free them, just to keep things the round interesting (although now half the crew seems to be traitors so things are always interesting)

There was a round a few days ago where in exchange for not being killed someone 'helped' a changeling (help like flashing a sec outside my door who was dragged away within minutes of the round starting). I admin helped, and apparently so did a bunch of other players who got jumped by Team Changeling.

I realise that admins aren't always on and sometimes deal with problems later.

The whole situation was suspicious. I had not even finished rearranging my kit when they appeared at my door and tried to get in via the AI. Somehow in the first few minutes a changling found a crew member, revealed himself, then convinced them to aid him in hunting down others in exchange for not being killed.

The only reason I raise this is that I've since seen someone playing who seemed to have the same name as one of those guys (assuming I'm not getting ppl mixed up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Part of it is some sort of counter-culture movement where it is uncool to care about the game and where you have to let traitors have fun (eg. wanton murder/destruction/both).

"I mean, he's killing everyone with a c-saber, but he's just having fun. Chill out you play 2 win rent-a-cop, let the traitor have his gear back."

The HoS and Detective both have thermal goggles and if they do a couple of quick sweeps of the station then 9 times out of 10, they will spot a traitor doing something incriminating, and with the element of surprise it's trivially easy for them to shoot the traitor in the back and either execute or permabrig them.

Most don't do that, though, because that's boring as hell and defeats the purpose of having traitors at all. If you treat SS13 as a black and white "crew vs. bad guys" thing it's just not a particularly good game. See: Trouble in Terrorist Town, a game that is essentially that and is not particularly good.

• Locked thread