Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What's the downside to adding the HoH? Like people have stated some reasons why - that it has the possibility of helping during rounds where you have an AWOL Chef/Bartender/Botanists, and no one has mentioned why not to do it. It's not like it'd be hard to do, as far as I can tell jobs look pretty easy to change and the admin crew has made more involved additions and changes on a lark.

It's something that could be fun and, as far as I can tell, has no real drawbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe try it out as one of the revolving gimmick jobs first and if its well received, into the normal lineup?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I hopped into a game last night, and I got to be a terrible Wizard for a round. I was happy that Affable gave me such a great run in that round where I did a whole lot of wizarding but not a whole lot of wizarding death.

Yes, I lucked into being caught by a VERY fun security officer (who was wearing a Batman outfit). He stripped my traitor items but nothing else and then bridged me for 1min, using the timer properly and everything. I know that's what they're meant to do but it's the first time it's actually happened - if I get caught by sec I usually end up with much worse results.

Of course the best bit was that he didn't take away my ID, and he didn't realise I'd already pinched the Captain's spare and used it in the HoP computer to get all-access, so after I was launched into the corridor outside security I was able to wander back in, through the brig, and reclaim my emag.

The other best part of the round was when the shuttle was called and I felt I had failed at being hog wild because I hadn't blown anything up yet and figured I should go do something evil at escape. My first plan was to set it on fire, so I attached a can of plasma to the repressurization port. Oddly someone else lit it before I could, but hey. Then I got the idea of getting some Erebite in QM, but as I was browsing on the QM console an idea stuck me. I ordered a crate of bots and planned to drag them into the maintenance beside escape, emag them all, then unleash them remotely onto escape with my PDA (did I mention how awesome mechanic PDAs are?)

It didn't go according to plan. I had only managed to emag two of the bots when they both jumped on me, knocked me on the floor and injected me with poison. I managed to drag myself a couple squares away and someone kindly took me into the corridor to try and cure me, them to Medbay when he realised I was poisoned. Since the fire locks were down on the south corridor, he went through the maintenance hatch to escape, and I thought I would be rumbled because that's where the bots were and where I dropped my emag. But no, I was super lucky: someone else (actually another traitor I think) had picked the emag up and then been mobbed by the bots, so my rescuer blamed him for emagging the bots and left him there to be killed by "his own" bots while rushing me to safety :hehe:

I did get rumbled in the end when I hit someone over the head with an amplified vuvuzela on the escape shuttle because I didn't know how to use it properly, but the round ended before I could do anything about it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Magres posted:

What's the downside to adding the HoH? Like people have stated some reasons why - that it has the possibility of helping during rounds where you have an AWOL Chef/Bartender/Botanists, and no one has mentioned why not to do it. It's not like it'd be hard to do, as far as I can tell jobs look pretty easy to change and the admin crew has made more involved additions and changes on a lark.

What's the downside to anything? Time, energy, and no result. You've got to code in a new position, with head access, and change the map to give them an office. Why don't we make a head of custodians? Why not a head priest? Head of Mining, bring back Chief of Medicine, split science into three seperate and distinct departments. You can toss out as many ideas as you want, but they require at least some effort to implement, and with all the time and energy people the coders are spending just keeping the game chugging along without crashing every round, you should at the bare minimum give a good reason why adding something in will make the game more fun in the long run for a decent amount of people. That's just common courtesy. Saying "Here is my idea, now I want you to prove to me why it shouldn't get put in" is an rear end thing to do.

That's what you're doing, when you say that. You are being an rear end. :yosbutt:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
why not use a lovely slippery slope argument to rail against a suggestion? jeez dude, relax

edit: put head of hospitality in because it makes captain bravo mad

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 8, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dirk the Average posted:

It's just taking measurements so that it can make a new coat. There's nothing wrong with that!
To be specific, it's taking measurements so that it can make you a new coat! What a swell guy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

What's the downside to anything? Time, energy, and no result. You've got to code in a new position, with head access, and change the map to give them an office. Why don't we make a head of custodians? Why not a head priest? Head of Mining, bring back Chief of Medicine, split science into three seperate and distinct departments. You can toss out as many ideas as you want, but they require at least some effort to implement, and with all the time and energy people the coders are spending just keeping the game chugging along without crashing every round, you should at the bare minimum give a good reason why adding something in will make the game more fun in the long run for a decent amount of people. That's just common courtesy. Saying "Here is my idea, now I want you to prove to me why it shouldn't get put in" is an rear end thing to do.

That's what you're doing, when you say that. You are being an rear end. :yosbutt:

Sorry, I should have phrased my thing a little better, and omitted a decently important word before. People have stated some reasons why it should be done, and the only arguments presented against it are 'it's a pointless job if they just gently caress off and don't do it' and 'it takes time and effort' which are arguments that apply to every single job in the game. When an argument is equally applicable to anything it loses meaning.

I'm asking for a specific counter argument to HoH because ultimately the decision of 'is this worth coding or not' is up to the people who code poo poo and they don't need us pointing out the obvious fact that it will take them time and effort to implement. Evaluating the merits of an idea should be done independently of the obvious and universal things that apply to all ideas.

Like, if you don't see a need for an HoH because you don't find the bar/kitchen/botany to be commonly understaffed, that's a valid argument that is a specific argument against implementing an HoH. It's the root behind "it's bad because it takes time and effort" and is not a dumb, universally applicable argument.

E: vvvvvvvv Not needing a head for kitchen/bar stuff because they're simple jobs is also an HoH specific argument that's a good argument.

Like honestly this kind of poo poo is all I wanted because the time/energy argument is just a way to dismiss something out of hand without actually presenting reasoning why it's not worth doing and is a dumb way to argue stuff. What can I say, I'm a sperglord for quality arguing.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 8, 2014

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
Hi yes hello a Head of Hospitality is dumb. We already have a head for civilian roles: the Head of Personnel. Not our fault he kinda just fucks off all the time anyway (which I imagine is what would happen with a head that's only in charge of the freaking barman/chef).

Current heads:
Captain - every department
Research Director - research wing
Medical Director - medical wing
Chief Engineer - engineering wing
Head of Personnel - basically everything left over minus security

The departments that DO have heads have them because those departments usually involve a lot of work and/or people. Being a chef is piss easy and more often than not a barman will take over cooking roles too when the chef inevitably feeds himself to the gibber or something.

Point of authority: I am wire, gooncoder.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Poland Spring posted:

why not use a lovely slippery slope argument to rail against a suggestion? jeez dude, relax

edit: put head of hospitality in because it makes captain bravo mad

Haha, naw, I'm being an rear end because I can, I've actually made that exact statement before. :v:

But seriously, you're all asses. Everyone who plays this game is a butt. :yosbutt::yosbutt::yosbutt:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Why not just add smaller, public versions of those jobs elsewhere? Give the crew lounge an alcohol and soda dispenser and a little public gardening area with 4 plant pots, a seed vendor, and a watering tank (or maybe even a cute little mister that takes care of watering, so nobody runs in and steals all the goddamn watering cans). It'd make the crew lounge into something useful while allowing people to muck around with small-time versions of the fun stuff.

Maybe add an oven in there, too, since the microwave is pretty crap.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Man, this round was just a goldmine of perfect statements.

"Random rear end in a top hat [145.9] asks, "In what way am I being an rear end in a top hat?""

"Bob Ludwig [135.9] says, "Also I just ate five monster so my heart is going to stop"
Captain Bravo [135.9] exclaims, "Haha! you too!"
Lilian Reade [135.9] says, "me too"
Captain Bravo [135.9] says, "something about those burgers, they're like bug lights for security""

"Sam Paine [145.9] says, "I haven't had a single patient that wasn't suffering entirely from stupid poo poo they did to themselves""

In the end, most of security wound up dead from eating a batch of Monsters the chef cooked up. :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Magres posted:

It's something that could be fun and, as far as I can tell, has no real drawbacks.

What's the upside of adding the HoH? It's another useless head. If the bar isn't being manned, that's not actually a bad thing, because the only person who benefits from having the bar manned is the bartender. Same goes for the chef. If the kitchen and bar are unmanned, nobody suffers in any way, except for anyone who wanted to be those jobs but weren't, in which case they should be high-tailing it to customs to get their new jobs. Botany's another story since it can actually be useful to people, but the RD has Botany access.

Top Quark posted:

Hi yes hello a Head of Hospitality is dumb. We already have a head for civilian roles: the Head of Personnel. Not our fault he kinda just fucks off all the time anyway (which I imagine is what would happen with a head that's only in charge of the freaking barman/chef).

Well, since the only crew objective the HoP gets is to gently caress off into space, and the HoP doesn't have any real job of his own to do, it kind of is partially you folks' fault. Still, I don't think we need more backup jobs in case the Chef, the Barman, the Captain, and the HoP all don't feel like playing in the cafeteria.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Need some advice on inducing botany mutations without using mutagen, how is it done? Does it reach particular stats and then grow into the desired uber form?
Right now I can only mutagen a certain pot and hope for the best, then splice said uber form with my thoroughbred vanilla plants.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I'm currently working/avoiding working on the botany section of my spoiler document. As far as I can tell, there are three kinds of mutations.

1. Random mutations. Every time you plant a seed, it has a chance of sprouting into an alternate form. Rainbow weed or synthbrains, for instance. Strategy is then to just plant and chainsaw the failures out.
2. Infusion mutations. Some species require specific infusions to trigger and will not happen randomly.
3. Stat mutations. Hitting a milestone in a specific stat will automatically induce a mutation. I've heard that omega weed is tied to potency, and white weed to endurance, but find botany so mind-numbing that I doubt I'll ever confirm those myself.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I'd love to work with you on that document! We gotta grow Mr.Greyshift!

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Well, some initial infusion numbers. (Lower maturation and production are better, everything else higher is better.)

Ammonia: -10 to -5 maturation, -5 to -2 production, 15 to 26 damage.
Potash: -3 to 0 lifespan, +1 to +4 yield, 3 to 7 damage. (Good for increasing herb yield, I suppose, since you only ever get one harvest of those anyway so lifespan doesn't matter much. Otherwise I'd only use it for making more saltpetre.)
Saltpetre: 0 to +2 yield, +2 to +8 potency, 3 to 7 damage.
Unstable mutagen: -19 to +19 maturation, -20 to +17 production, -2 to +2 lifespan, -4 to +4 yield, -10 to +10 potency, -6 to +6 endurance, 3 to 7 damage. (A huge stupid gamble, otherwise notable as being the only chemical to affect endurance directly. Still a bit iffy on the maturation and production ranges, I suspect they're both -20 to +20.)
Mutadone: If a stat is on the wrong side of zero (maturation/production greater than zero, or the others in the negatives) it will adjust it one toward zero. 3 to 7 damage.

After that it's mostly a matter of me being bored enough to try to figure out what mutations are random.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There seem to be three types of HoP in the game:

1) Insufferable supercop HoPs (superhops, which sounds like an appropriately lovely craft beer) who override everyone in security with their unstoppable crusade to kill all traitors or suspected traitors, up to and include the HoS

2) HoPs with no sense of spaceman responsibility who hand out all-access IDs until murdered by someone they gave an all-access ID to

3) HoPs who gently caress off into space

I'll take the third one, generally.

(And the occasional 1% fun gimmick HoPs, to be fair)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hey, to be fair I took a emag in exchange for giving out an all access. I then handed in the emag to security. I am the best HOP :colbert:

(Ignore the fact that the dude then made station cracker bombs in toxins and blew up most of the station, that's securitys problem, not mine!)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

There seem to be three types of HoP in the game:

1) Insufferable supercop HoPs (superhops, which sounds like an appropriately lovely craft beer) who override everyone in security with their unstoppable crusade to kill all traitors or suspected traitors, up to and include the HoS

2) HoPs with no sense of spaceman responsibility who hand out all-access IDs until murdered by someone they gave an all-access ID to

3) HoPs who gently caress off into space

I'll take the third one, generally.

(And the occasional 1% fun gimmick HoPs, to be fair)

There's also the HoP who sits in customs all round hoping someone will come by and ask for something fun. Until they get murdered.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I wish for there to be a randomly selected 'King Greysuit' every round. They'd technically be a department head, except without any special access but would start with a paper crown (which would inevitably be stolen) and special AI announcement to add a small element of excitement and modest importance in the round of the lowly Staff Assistant.

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 8, 2014

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Grayshift posted:

Well, some initial infusion numbers. (Lower maturation and production are better, everything else higher is better.)

Ammonia: -10 to -5 maturation, -5 to -2 production, 15 to 26 damage.
Potash: -3 to 0 lifespan, +1 to +4 yield, 3 to 7 damage. (Good for increasing herb yield, I suppose, since you only ever get one harvest of those anyway so lifespan doesn't matter much. Otherwise I'd only use it for making more saltpetre.)
Saltpetre: 0 to +2 yield, +2 to +8 potency, 3 to 7 damage.
Unstable mutagen: -19 to +19 maturation, -20 to +17 production, -2 to +2 lifespan, -4 to +4 yield, -10 to +10 potency, -6 to +6 endurance, 3 to 7 damage. (A huge stupid gamble, otherwise notable as being the only chemical to affect endurance directly. Still a bit iffy on the maturation and production ranges, I suspect they're both -20 to +20.)
Mutadone: If a stat is on the wrong side of zero (maturation/production greater than zero, or the others in the negatives) it will adjust it one toward zero. 3 to 7 damage.

After that it's mostly a matter of me being bored enough to try to figure out what mutations are random.

Do you have an IM I can add you on to further coordinate the cause of science?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

SugarAddict posted:

This is an amazing loving thing to know. I would really appreciate it if an admin or some goonstation coder would do a giant dump of all the interactions listed by items because there is an absolute fuckton of things like this that aren't obvious nor listed.

Things like that SHOULD be in here, but they aren't always (due to lazycodes)

http://wiki.ss13.co/Changelog

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Add this in as a reagent used in some variety of vending machine drink that makes you periodically hallucinate people near you doing traitory things.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Zamujasa posted:

Why not just add smaller, public versions of those jobs elsewhere? Give the crew lounge an alcohol and soda dispenser and a little public gardening area with 4 plant pots, a seed vendor, and a watering tank (or maybe even a cute little mister that takes care of watering, so nobody runs in and steals all the goddamn watering cans). It'd make the crew lounge into something useful while allowing people to muck around with small-time versions of the fun stuff.

Maybe add an oven in there, too, since the microwave is pretty crap.

Space diner + soviet derelict handle both of these.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Space diner + soviet derelict handle both of these.

Yeah, but I was hoping for something more on-station for small time stuff. Victory gardens, that sort of thing. The soviet derelict is great if you want to do wacky mutation poo poo or go for omega weed, the diner is great for drugs, but sometimes you just want to be an assistant and fill yourself with 330 units of booze.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
For alternatives to botany, theres also the QM who can order everything short of a seed fabricator. I know I'm no stranger to turning cargo in to my own personal rainbow weed garden to make money when I roll QM. A mechanic could ask the AI or RD/HoP/Captain nicely to scan the fabricators to set one up in more public area. I'm sure the reward of weed would be more than enough to entice these people to cooperate in a botanist-free round.

Or, you know, just break in to botany and work there.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 8, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think Cogwerks said there's going to be a public growing area in Cogmap2, but until then, the Mechanic can scan and reproduce everything in Botany including the vending machines and plant pots, and the QM can order basically all Botany gear including the plant pots and a few kinds of seeds.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

President Ark posted:

Add this in as a reagent used in some variety of vending machine drink that makes you periodically hallucinate people near you doing traitory things.

This reagent must be in Stinkeye.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Dirk the Average posted:

It's just taking measurements so that it can make a new coat. There's nothing wrong with that!

Shalhavet posted:

Just let it keep touching you. It's cool.

Shut up you jerks I know what it does :saddowns:

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Shut up you jerks I know what it does :saddowns:

It's not like someone mentioned exactly what it does earlier on the page.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Carsius posted:

It's not like someone made a video in which it is demonstrated in great detail.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Just finished a QM round on #4. It seems we had an artillery pod, though I never saw it myself. Apparently it was going around the station blowing up all the other pods, including the cargo bay one. Well, that was a pain. There wasn't much damage, but it took a while to patch up by myself, since the other two QMs hosed off to who knows where.

Just when I finished, Centcom announces a class 10 meteor shower coming straight at me. Or at least it said it was level 10. It seemed a lot longer and more intense than that to me. Most people, after hearing that a meteor showing is heading for their side of the station, pick up sticks and run the gently caress away, but there was still that enemy artillery pod to deal with. I quickly tried to order a few weapon crates, but the shower started a lot sooner than I expected.

Still I kept at it, until I noticed a star piece in the wreckage. That was an opportunity I wasn't going to let slip by. So, with the meteor shower still very much in effect, I grabbed it, threw it in a crate, tagged it with my account information, and got it onto the launch pad for Gragg, dodging bigass meteors all the way. It may have been useless, but it was exciting as hell, and I left the station that round a very rich man.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Anyone else remember when these were all the rage?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Just had an odd round in which I think somebody somehow sabotaged the engine by cutting the cable by which it feeds power to the station - it was producing 0W even though it was obviously running. Tried dragging a t-ray around the engine chamber but couldn't find anything, and I'm not sure how you'd mess with underfloor cables in the engine chamber anyway since the floor is reinforced. Did I miss something important?

Mice Everywhere
Sep 7, 2007

I love animal porn! So F* you if you don't accept that!
I've been playing security more these last few days and found it's actually kind of fun when the player count is lower (15-25). Only when there's 40 or more do things become an out of control mess where everything is broken into and you'd be lucky if all the sec lockers aren't emptied out. Too bad the server populations are almost always 2 dead, MAYBE one OK, and one that has a billion people.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
What you're describing with the engine is fairly vague; did the engine console itself show power production? Were the AMS batteries on? Were they receiving power? Were the individual room APC's receiving power?

If the answer to the first question is no, it's likely an engine problem; I think turning off equipment on an engine room APC can gently caress that up, as would pressure differential problems, heat differential problems, or valves being off.

If the second question is no, then that's the issue, as they need to be set up to transmit the engine's power (unless it's hotwired, which is generally a bad idea).

If the third question is no, then it could be a cut wire, a really cleverly-hidden powersink, or a wire that was destroyed, which seems like it can happen on rare occasions in the case of an explosion that doesn't quite do enough damage to tear up the floor.

If the fourth question is no, then it could again be a powersink, cut wires OUTSIDE the engine room, or even the APC's themselves being turned off to not charge (which is so rarely done nowadays that it's actually kind of become a surprise again when it happens, and can catch people off guard).

There are probably more contingencies I'm not even thinking of, and I haven't played with the most recent engine enough to know which is the most likely problem from your description.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hyphz posted:

Just had an odd round in which I think somebody somehow sabotaged the engine by cutting the cable by which it feeds power to the station - it was producing 0W even though it was obviously running. Tried dragging a t-ray around the engine chamber but couldn't find anything, and I'm not sure how you'd mess with underfloor cables in the engine chamber anyway since the floor is reinforced. Did I miss something important?

Where did it say it was producing 0W? If it said that on the generator in the engine room, then the issue was with the engine itself rather than the wiring. Just because gas is moving through the pipes doesn't mean it's producing power, and an engine problem is way more likely than wires being snipped the way you describe - it's possible, but kind of a pain and not especially effective.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
It's amazing how much damage a few snipped wires can do. I was a traitor mechanic and just sauntered about the station, cutting wires when no one was around, starting with the medbay. The cloners failed just bodies started to pile up and no one bothered to reconnect the APC.

Vysse
Sep 12, 2010
Surely I can't be the only person who plays HoP that gets annoyed with other heads barging through your office in order to snag an all-access ID whilst you're doing somebody else's, or the detectives that burst through the maintenance door instead of approaching the desk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Carsius posted:

No I've fallen victim to it before. I was just wondering what it was supposed to be

• Locked thread