Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I was one of the chefs in that Chefs vs Zombies screenshot. It all started with more than one captain arriving at the station. There were in fact closer to five captains. The captains gathered on the bridge to bask in the glory of their big, green hats. Little did they know that fate took unkindly to their hubris. The bridge was stormed by a flock of zombies. Back to back with their fellow captain, cussing up storms, they fell to the zombie horde. The station went quiet as the AI announced to the public that the captain convention had been utterly destroyed. They were now part of the undead horde.

Centcom responded to the threat by deploying clowns. Lots and lots of clowns. Honks and squeeky footsteps were heard throughout the station as the clumsy, red-nosed gentlemen went forth and died in scores to silly deaths like stumbling in areas exposed to vacuum and stumbling infront of zombies.

Next came the chefs. Lots and lots of chefs. Swedish accents broke the sadness of a captain con ruined and a clown posse decimated by Darwinism. Rolling pins in hand, they cut down the undead like lambs for the slaughter. Many a brave Swede fell that day, but among the gibs of their friends, stood a brave few and declared the station free. It was time to feast, and there was plenty to cook.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Make limbs stick out of beakers and glasses if you combine them. Watch the bar turn into the Huuse-a uf Peeckled Hurrurs, bork bork bork.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I can't wait to see that thing derail and cause a disaster.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I don't know about locking down pods to stop stowaways. You can end up with some high quality space entertainment from people hitching rides they have no business of going on. Maybe just limit weapons control to the pilot?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I really recommend Doppelganger. It complements Phase Shift and has a lot of utility. It'll let you pass through any doors while turning you invisible and leaving behind a clone of you, who'll run off in the direction you were facing.

Instead of relying on teleport spells to get out of trouble when Phase Shift is on cooldown, you basically have a secondary Phase Shift. And even when people know you have it, they still can't be sure if the clone is real or not so they'll spend ammo shooting it or whatever just to be sure.

It has one huge drawback. NEVER cast a teleport spell while Doppelganger is active. It does some weird things to the fabric of space time and will rubberband you back from the teleport spell once Doppelganger wears off.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 14, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Sir_Seth posted:

It sounds like Apollo Station 17 has more level-headed, tolerant and non-abusive admins than most of Goonstation's admins.

You say that like it's a good thing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's as awful as you let it be. You need to be flexible as an officer. If there's a murderer on the loose, you ignore the guy committing petty theft. If there's 20 clowns loose, you ignore 20 clowns yelling that they're being beaten to death. If the access cards are out of control, you give up on retrieving stolen items and instead try to protect the captain from the coup d'état, or you go hang out in the bar.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Admiral Funk posted:

Also I'm curious now. Did we get new servers or just a new name for 'em?

Gibbed said a couple of weeks ago that they were moved. I guess that means they're hosted on new machines.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This sounds weird, but being a coroner on the station is very interesting. Tons of bodies came in, I disected them, found cause of death (mainly burns), dug-out bullets and implants, experimented with arms, and wrote up autopsy reports.

Well, that explains why the morgue has been full(er) of blood, gore and limbs recently. It actually felt kind of creepy going in there, like you'd just stepped into someone's kill-room.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I like building my space bars as Captain, a few rounds ago I had about a 12x12 space bar with a functioning atmosphere, free drinks, a small armory, a body guard, a bartender, and a VIP. Fun stuff :v:

Got any tips on how a single captain can build a huge space bar in under 20 minutes?

Grab some floortiles, metal sheets, metal foam grenades, one or two airmix cannisters and a RCD. Lay down three floor tiles and put an airlock on each end. This will be your way to stop air from escaping the space bar to-be. Trigger the grenades and drop them near the airlocks. Do not throw them or they will fly away. Hollow out the foam. Open the air cans inside. Build tables and stools with the metal sheets. Fill up your space igloo with poo poo pilfered from the bar or have mechanics copy a few microwave ovens for you.

PS. The space bar will become a death trap the moment one of your patrons decide to punch your brittle, foam floors.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 26, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

s0m3 guy posted:

SS13 becomes a legit chemistry simulator. Soon schools will begin using it.

Cue some well meaning science teacher forcing his entire class to join the server Second Life style and gather in chemistry. Yeah, that would end well.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

He had the right idea about firing chemistry into the sun, but you'll find no sympathy for the remover of the official clown job in this place.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Even a well worded law is a gamble. You have to go in there knowing there's a chance you'll run into a bad AI. Bringing a handtele with you is enough to escape though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

It's more likely the AI will just ignore the law, that is if it hasn't already given you up as a traitor since it can see everything.

Yeah, I mean be ready for it to go bad in general, not just with suicide laws. Want to tell the AI he's the king of France? Have a backup plan in case he hates France. I've run into some that will stun you when you go into the module storage because they know you're a traitor even if you aren't the rampaging type or even if you are a Head. There's never any guaranty you'll get out of there alive, so if you like being alive, plan accordingly.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 28, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Are you doing the surgery in the time it takes your sprite to stand up from a resting position on the surgery table?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

So if you're the AI, and someone uploads a law that makes you incredibly unfunny and irritating after about 30 seconds, it's okay to pretty much forget about it once people start complaining, RP be damned, right? Especially once stuff starts exploding and people need you to do stuff and be useful?

If it's some unfunny law like following an Australian amendment or roleplaying that Bill O Reilly guy, just do a bad job at it. An AI having no idea what it's doing or doing a terrible impression is probably more entertaining than if you play that poo poo straight anyway.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

They have to be knocked out with anesthetics (crowbars) before you can do hobo surgery.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, real talk. Cool space kids smoke. It came at a cost before. Two cigs would fill your blood with nicotine so you couldn't be cured if you were damaged. At some point smoking changed. Now the nicotine deals damage also. It actually puts you into critical after three smokes in a row. I get that you're going for the Metal Gear thing, where it hurts you in real time, but it already was pretty detrimental to smoke with the drug block. You get my drift? Let's bring the smoke filled days of yore back to the future and herald in a new era of bad vice cop impressions.

Aphtonites posted:

I'm working on a new SS13 video:

This looks fabulous. Keep it coming.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I have to take back what I said about space smoking. It wasn't as deadly today. Maybe I was sleepy penned with something last time without noticing it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Matty posted:

The round after, the chemistry machines were deleted. RIP

Scientists figuratively driving the server through a time absorbing, black hole with their multi reaction, hell smoke at the end of every other round does get kind of old rather fast.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I have hardly (probably not ever) played in a spy round where I was not murdered by one of the spy groups, seeing as their objective is to be the last man standing, and the easiest way to do that is toolbox every person that walks past.

I've been in one spy round where the winning spy had found two of the three others, turned them and taken their injectors. Near the end he gathered everyone in the chapel and killed the rival spys along with the few who opposed his new world order. The purge worked in no small part thanks to the first spy who got stoned to death exploding and taking out another unwanted dude in the blast. It was nearly a peaceful evacuation with civilians, spys and followers too. Not exactly the most fun round, but it was cool to see it almost work.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

That's not really how things work, unless I put an override into traitor selection code to make mentors/hos players more likely to get tough interesting objectives. Might be fun though.

I suppose you could have an algorithm that pulls the medal info from each traitor and assigns them a greater chance of getting hardmode traitor if they're above a certain number. That should theoretically only affect people who've been all over the station(s) over the years.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Noose Induce posted:

In the remake I want to see some method to force players to interact with eachother.
People NEVER use Mail chutes/communicate between departments and it is very rare that when I play as a botanist I am able to communicate with the Chef, which is just a minor example. People all around pretty much don't care much for anything besides their own objectives and departments.

Maybe a wall mounted, camera-phone could get that job done? Stand in-front of a screen and yell about tomatos, the rant comes out on the other end and you can be seen on their screen from across the room. It would be neat on the regular station too in a perfect world where it wouldn't make Byond explode.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Black Pants posted:

I don't remember anyone telling me I could send stuff to QM when I was a botanist, just that the chef and maybe chemists might want stuff.

:aaaaa:

This is so awesome. This is what SS13 was meant to be.

The undercover cop valiantly tried to blend into the crime syndicate by referencing his knowledge of 50s mafia lingo. His cover was rock solid for several seconds before falling apart under mobster scrutiny.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I'll be the one to point out the obvious in case you don't use PGS much. It can only be read when you're logged in. That's why it's generally used for server info stuff and giving away beta keys etc.

Okimin posted:

Yeah I really don't get the whole secret chemical circlejerk thing, people knowing how to make fun stuff is a good thing right?

More or less. It's not like the PGS thread keeps stuff like chemical recipes a secret, but they do stay more discreet. It prevents things from being run into the ground as fast.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I think you're understating the quality of our excellent roleplay. We roleplay 2d spacemen in a game about farts, who realize that they are 2d spacemen in a game about farts and are perfectly fine with it. :haw:

It's like a space station full of Deadpools.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Matty posted:

The crown is being lovely again, two traitors just got hosed by a geneticist with the crown who had it on for the entire round, along with multiple superpowers and was untouchable (it spaced one of the traitors)

also, people can heal again while wearing the crown now, allowing them to be the super cop untouchables they used to be.

it even teleports if you use disarm, jesus christ

I watched that go down last night: Someone wearing the crown in a way so he couldn't die went up against a pair of armed scientists who were both regenerating and stun immune from abusing the poo poo out of whatever it is they do to break the game. It seemed to be an even fight. The crown made safe and stimpacks made to last for ages are both way more terrible than the artistic toolbox, and that thing is pretty terrible. They deserved each other.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

These are the reasons that giant blood thirsty rampages occur.
And rampages are the reason people turn into overzealous vigilantes as soon as they see a traitor. That door swings both ways.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

That was posted on the game forums before the view count sky rocketed. It's likely a SS13 dude made it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Bertram Weatherby posted:

So with an abundance of free time on my hands, I went and added some labels to the new Cogmap where possible.

Hopefully I got it right.

Nice job! You only left out tech storage, the HoS office, the crematorium and the armory. It might be worth tagging the rest of the pod bays too (located at the artifact lab, in engineering, in QM, above tool storage and above the bridge).

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 1, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I think they should be 2 or 3 tiles large and only unlock when the shuttle has arrived, and leave at the same time. That way a captain with a nuke disk or a known murderer has more options to escape than the giant clusterfuck the escape shuttle is, but there's also less people to hide among if someone comes to the escape pods to look for him.

Oh, and if the escape wing is bombed to poo poo, assistants will obviously gather around the escape pod to fight over the right to be one of the few survivors.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Greysuit, robotic arm and crowbar.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Can I have a butt hat in Team Fortress 2 if I pre-order?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It did pretty much put the janitor out of work until bullet-bleed was added. ...not that they'll clean blood when there's perfectly fine floors they could go wet in the escape wing though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

primelaw posted:

Remove chemistry, reinstate the clown :colbert:

Give all chemists permanent clown disease.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The BMI thing went on for days if not weeks.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Let's talk escape pods. The station is falling apart, do you climb into the pod? Yes/yes?

I once saw an escape pod careen wildly out of control, it threw itself through a warp portal and somehow managed to hit the open cargo bay where it blew up a pimped out QM pod. Out of all the dumb stuff to come out of this thread, they're easily my favourite dumb thing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Genetics can't, but the kitchen still can.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Supernorn posted:

If you mean SS13 Standalone, we might have support for Mac eventually, but not at the moment sadly :smith:

In progress news, we've got our 3D > 2D tool spitting out sprites! and today I've been working on drawing up a bunch of intent icons for the fancy new GUI.

Regarding intents. If you want to go down the route of context sensitive actions, it could be worth looking into mouse gestures as a complement. It gives you a lot to work with through different combinations of mouse buttons and dragging. For instance, an attempted throw could be clicking a guy with both RMB and LMB, dragging to a location behind him to throw in that direction on release with the force determined by the speed or length of the gesture.

\/ Yeah! :haw:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

silentsnack posted:

I like to be thorough and spawn more monkeys from the machines to kill. Then one time I had the bright idea to jam the QM dock and order a dozen monkey crates to open in space. Succeeded at the objective but accidentally got myself crushed between crates.

That's a pretty smart approach. The kill objective is based on the total number of monkeys. Spawning more and killing them will devalue the ones in genetics. It's monkey inflation!

The worst thing you could do is cook or gib the monkeys. The gibbed ones wouldn't count and you would still have to kill half of the remaining ones.

• Locked thread