Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Supernorn posted:

Go away, you are not funny.

Poo was funny for a little while because it made people mad but then got unfunny but now that it's gone making people mad by demanding it comes back is funny.

Bringing back poo is the new poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Leal posted:

I think you all are forgetting the biggest thing that they need to bring back.

Bring back the Head Surgeon position :colbert:

RIP Head Surgeon. Added because the RD didn't give a poo poo about medbay, removed even though the RD still doesn't give a poo poo about medbay and never will.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

If you resist implanting, does the attacker get any failure message, or do they just see that you are not obeying?

No message.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Part of it is some sort of counter-culture movement where it is uncool to care about the game and where you have to let traitors have fun (eg. wanton murder/destruction/both).

"I mean, he's killing everyone with a c-saber, but he's just having fun. Chill out you play 2 win rent-a-cop, let the traitor have his gear back."

The HoS and Detective both have thermal goggles and if they do a couple of quick sweeps of the station then 9 times out of 10, they will spot a traitor doing something incriminating, and with the element of surprise it's trivially easy for them to shoot the traitor in the back and either execute or permabrig them.

Most don't do that, though, because that's boring as hell and defeats the purpose of having traitors at all. If you treat SS13 as a black and white "crew vs. bad guys" thing it's just not a particularly good game. See: Trouble in Terrorist Town, a game that is essentially that and is not particularly good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Getting tazed, spaced and then gibbed all within minutes is a pretty lovely way of reacting to someone wearing a fake moustache under a bio suit is all I'm saying. Yes, I adminhelped it to no reply and the mentors didn't really do much either.

It's extremely lovely but not actually against the rules.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't know precisely what the triggering circumstances are, but from what I can see, it looks like attaching any fleshly arm that originally belonged to someone else will cause a particularly severe case of Alien Hand Syndrome. Sometimes the hand will make rude gestures or punch or slap its new owner, and occasionally it'll start to choke them out, which can kill them in short order if they're not helped. Or, sometimes, if they are helped. I had a patient die in a bizarre Evil Dead scenario where the severed arm somehow finished choking her to death from the floor.

e: obviously the potential for evil science here is huge and hilarious.

I am definitely going to try brain-swapping 2 people but then giving them back their original arms.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gibbed #3, right now posted:

for r arm
r arm got past arm checks
for l hand
l hand got past arm checks
for r hand
r hand got past arm checks
for l leg
l leg got past arm checks
for r leg
r leg got past arm checks
for l foot
l foot got past arm checks
for r foot
r foot got past arm checks
running update damage icon
for chest
chest got past arm checks
for groin
groin got past arm checks
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
l arm got past arm checks
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot
for chest
for groin
for head
head got past arm checks
for l arm
for r arm
for l hand
for r hand
for l leg
for r leg
for l foot
for r foot

Goddamnit, InfiniteMonkeys.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

You should never get yelled at by admins for loving up while experimenting. Even if it involves everything everywhere being on fire. Now, if you keep going back and loving up the same way every round, sure, whatever, but otherwise it's an honest and funny mistake.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

One-human laws are a bit of a double-edged sword. Done correctly, everyone else is hosed, but if you gently caress up even a little bit then everyone is hosed including you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shadowbag posted:

If you really hate math that much just do the thing that all the cool kids do and make an excel spreadsheet to do the math for you. That's what I do and what I'm sure every "tele-wiz" does whether they want to admit it or not.

Spreadsheets count as math.

Like, I don't even hate math but I do not play video games in order to solve equations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

They are all slower than pods as well as people with jetpacks, you shouldn't really have any trouble outrunning them.
SC and CR drones are pretty weak and can be wrecked easily with lasers, phasers, or mining tools. Just avoid the HK and AR drones until you are ready for a much bigger challenge, and for god's sake, don't anger the X drone without backup and lots of heavy weaponry.

I have not ever actually seen an AR and have no idea what they do.

Also put the Omega drone on the map I wanna see what happens if you kill it but I've only seen it get spawned like once.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pod phasers completely suck and do basically no damage though so that's not a huge surprise.

Someone has killed it, from what I've heard.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

How about giving pods a single-use "Breaching System" that costs a king's ransom in ores, and can only be built from a hacked pod parts fabricator? You stick it in a secondary system, (Meaning you can't use it and a cargo hold at the same time) and when your pod is directly beside, and facing, a wall or set of windows you can activate it to blow them apart. Doesn't hurt humans, but knocks them back and on the ground for a couple seconds. Plays an "OH YEAH!" clip along with the explosion noise when it activates. After one use, it disappears and you have to install another one if you want to use it again.
The crew's just gonna leave the room and close the door. Give it infinite uses but make it do irreparable damage to your pod every time you use it. And, instead of making it the Secondary item, make it a special engine that has the downside of only allowing you to use the warp drive once, so that you can build it in mining and warp to the main station but then have no means of escape as your pod starts to disintegrate around you.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

What if Daeren's doing his loving space vodun rituals and it gets up to a yottawatt again?

"welp Mining appears to have been vaporized again"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

This is a hilarious idea and would be very easy to do by just adapting trash compactor code. So... it'll probably arrive soon.

Make the hotdogs scream while you eat them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Holy poo poo the Apollo 17 server has the spergiest archeology process I have ever seen.

Step 1: Wait out the horribly slow airlock sequence and step outside. Find a digsite from the stuff in the rock, easily visible.

Step 2: Scan the rock with your depth scanner, this will ping if there's an artifact there.

Step 3: Take a core sample.

Step 4: Walk back to the outpost and put that sample through a series of tests to figure out which of 8 different things it reacts to. This involves machines and chemicals and monotonous repetition.

Step 5: Go back outside with a field generator, take it to your digsite and wrench it down. Now activate it with the appropriate field (what it reacted to), now hurry up! You only have a limited time to dig this thing out because this generator runs on a battery.

Step 6: Check your scanner and see how far in it was, 12 cm? Easy! Grab your archaeological toolkit with 6 different kinds of picks and a brush and start digging. Careful you don't go too deep because that'll break your find!

Step 7: You found an alien bowl, congratulations. Now repeat steps 1-6 until you find an artifact you can then spend another hour testing to find out it's just a repulsion field device.

Step 8: :psyduck:

GOONSTATION ARTLAB STANDARD PROCEDURE:

Step 1: Drag the artifact into the artlab

Step 2: Log into DWAINE and attempt to run the appropriate control programs

Step 3: Give up

Step 4: Burn it

Step 5: Shock it

Step 6: oh hey that turned it on

Step 7: wait gently caress it's a bomb

Step 8:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Device analyzer and the charge hacker both kinda suck a lot if you're not playing that job though, especially the 9-crystal hacker.
Also you won't be getting red saws or csabers out of a surplus crate anymore.

I'd say don't remove either of those because they can be incredibly useful. You just have to break into the appropriate workplace(which with the charge hacker is the easiest thing ever).

That said fix moonshine because if you get it when you aren't the barman it doesn't heal you.

Also get rid of shotguns because one round there were 5 traitors and we all bought the crate and got a shotgun and things didn't end well for anybody.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Because weighted tables and weighted combos kinda defeat the purpose of the surplus crate being a wildcard.
Many players get kinda hosed over by just not being ~robust~ enough to handle the red chainsaw or the artbox, so getting those in a crate pretty much means "hey, guess what, you're going to lose very very quickly."

If you want to go on a rampage, just buy that item normally. There ARE a couple of pretty strong things that can only show up in surplus crates now though.

To me the appeal of the crate is just getting a bunch of random poo poo and having to make it work. The biggest problem I had was that because there are like 6-7 items which are just powerful weapons getting any of them basically just means it's time to rampage. Like it doesn't really matter if you get a chainsaw, e-sword, or a shotgun; the outcome is the same. So I guess I'd take most of the rampage items out and leave in like the knife and the revolver because they're harder to work with.

As for removing the job specific items, the most fun surplus crate round I had involved getting a red chainsaw and a mining charge hacker in the crate as an assistant. I, being terrible, ended up getting robusted and having my chainsaw stolen and then arrested, and after managing to break out of the brig I was left with this 9-crystal thing I needed mining access to use. So I set up an ambush outside the mining shuttle, waited for a miner to show up, got an engineer instead, decided that was good enough and spaced him and took his ID. Then I broke into the mining station and filled three miner belts with hacked charges.

It turns out that wrecking the station without a spacesuit is difficult and probably a bad idea but not impossible.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, even easier. You don't need to go mine anything, since you can just order the things that turn into the right ores, or steal them from around the station pretty quickly. :eng101:

Ah, but here's the thing: If you break into QM and start building shitloads of charges while Sec is currently combing the hallways for you after your spectacular escape from the brig you will probably get caught because there's 3 QMs, an AI camera and a big loving window. Instead I went to Mining. The miners were all busy off in space mining/loving around so I just build everything I needed from the fabricators and then left because Miners rarely actually spend a lot of time on the mining station and when they are on the mining station they are basically the chillest people ever as long as you stay at least 3 squares away from them at all times(probably because they know that if you're a bad guy and decide to kill them nobody will ever help).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Why are you taking the spaceman out of the chemistry in a 2d spaceman game

Yeah all this is gonna do is lead to pages upon pages of "Uh that chemical doesn't actually do that in real life" because you're giving all the wacky spacedrugs real names.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Step 1: Steal earmuffs from an engineer.
Step 2: Steal blindfold from the bridge.
Step 3: Stuff your backpack full of flashbangs.

Congratulations, you are now a walking god of bullshit stuns. Never be out-robusted again.

Alternatively:

1: Buy 3 sonic grenade packs

2: Nothing, you're done.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

Motherfucker makes a grumpy hubbub!

Asthma could just make you unable to run. Flash a "You are out of breath!" message if someone tries to toggle run.

That would be annoying as gently caress. You should be able to run at the risk of having an asthma attack that causes you to start taking O2 damage until it goes away or you take medicine or something.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Yeah but I don't think pointers work on people in pods so good luck ever finding it as it fucks around in space.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

The Kill the AI goal has been replaced with 'steal the AI's neural net processor.'

What does that actually entail?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

And you can, in fact, upload a law that commands the AI to killswitch that console for you! Kills two birds with one stone.

Except the AI doesn't get the killswitch button on the console, but another button that does something different.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Handcuff someone to the track and leave them a scalpel, a circular saw and a bottle of whiskey.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I'm still sad that my "shuttle is just a reskinned asteroid" idea wasn't added.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's no fun. First thing you should do as Captain is give the AI a 'personality' law to play with so they can have some degree of fun in the round, regardless of whatever else happens (Well unless it looks like they've got their own gimmick going, of course). Just keep the law vague enough to give the AI player some leeway in how they obey it and make sure they understand it doesn't override anything.

Actually only do these if you're absolutely sure you've got an entertaining or interesting one because otherwise this is annoying as hell for the AI.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That too. I guess a good example would be something less like "Be a dick to [x]" and more like "You are now The Drunken Hobo. Slurr your words occasionally and tell stories of better times and wild parties. This law overrides nothing".

Wow that's the exact opposite of correct. "Be a dick to X" gives the AI the freedom to do what it wants and also lets it have fun by being a jerk to X, and as long as it doesn't override law 1 X will be fine(and they might even think it's funny). Meanwhile, the 2nd law is a bunch of bullshit forcing the AI to speak and act a specific way, and is only funny for like the first 2 or 3 sentences before everyone just accepts that the AI will be talking strangely for the rest of the round..

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I wonder what happens if I spend all 10 crystals on microbombs.

oh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

*Miner is low-key unless another miner is a traitor/changeling/decides to murder everyone with the pod for no reason, in which case it's just brief.

Murdering the miners is always smart because if nobody catches you doing it you have your own personal space clubhouse.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

You can always mentor help things if you're really stumped, or just ask someone nearby. 90% of the time they'll be more than happy to help you. The other 10% are rude jerks that'll say mean things or kill you, usually both.

Actually if a mentor tells you to do something that will kill you they get yelled at unless the question you asked was terrible. Which doesn't mean stupid, like "how do I pick things up" or "how do I put my shoes on". Those are fine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Captain
See above: nobody really cares what you're doing unless you're being a real jerk. People will at least grudgingly tolerate your presence if you want to go look in every room on the station and ask how they're doing and what they're up to. Depending on how you play it, you'll either dramatically lower your life expectancy or dramatically increase it by being a clueless yet cheerful captain. If you don't know how to fight, it might be better to leave your gun behind in the office or hire an assistant to be your bodyguard - this can be a good way to make troublemakers see you as a fun captain instead of seeing you as a prime target for beatings and theft.

Only problem is if it's nuke mode 5 heavily armed men in red suits will burst into the room and shoot you in the face about 10 minutes in.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Well he's apparently been name banned for being a shithead so he was probably well known for being terrible.

Never heard of him, though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Forer posted:

The BAD example of how a department is necessary would be chemistry and medbay. Saying "Well if medbay started out with less things and relied on chemistry to give them more fancy heart pills or antitoxin then that's good for both of them" because chemistry isn't fun because you make heart pills. It's fun because you get to make crazy concoctions that cover the station in cheese smoke or get to be immortal because you make potions that make you invincible or turn people into icecubes or whatnot, and people play medbay because they like saving people or bringing them back from the near death and being that crazy loving doctor running into the explosion and pulling out five people. Chemistry would keep on doing it's own thing like it usually does because that's fun and keep on doin' its own thing while doctors would have to jump through hoops or start breaking into chemistry to make sure they can keep pullin' people out of explosions.

Well, the situation with this now is that Chem and Medbay are in different departments and are manned by scientists and doctors respectively in theory. But in practice, chem is separated from medbay by a single table and 90% of the time if you go to chem you will find that table gone and see scientists and doctors coming and going freely to get what they need from both chemistry and medbay's stockpiles. Now, doctors will be making medicine and scientists will be experimenting with chemicals but for the most part they won't bother each other(the other 10% of the time a scientist will try something new and half of chem will explode).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Botany could start out with a supply of wheat and other things that the Chef needs, and reduce the chef's starting stores so he has to scoot over to botany to get more than a few burgers done. This would have the benefit of making sure that the chef and Botany at least interact at one point during the round and while the Chef is getting his stuff he can ask them if they're going to grow anything he can use. Enhance this by giving the chef something Botany wants (maybe he can make fertilizer from uneaten foods or spare vegetables).

Every suggestion like this has the same flaw: What's the Chef supposed to do if the Botanists are AFK or don't care enough to help him? He's got no ingredients because you've arbitrarily given them to someone else who has to bring them to him and who likely won't because they have their own poo poo to do.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Black Pants posted:

I'm sorry if when I asked this question before it was ignored because it's retarded and not just because it was missed in the flurry of awesome stuff, but is there a reason there's one Scientist job for the entire Science station area, but three specialist jobs for Medical? If, as a Med Doc I could do something with dead bodies other than laying them outside Robotics/Genetics and hope someone picks them up or break in myself, it seems like I could be more efficient (and busy), for example.

There used to be 2 specialist jobs for research but for whatever reason Scientist and Chemist were merged so now there's only one.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Welp all that poo poo is gonna get changed.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Actually, I do believe a medical borg has both a scalpel and a saw. (Might be wrong...)

Yeah but they can't use them. They can't table people.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The shotgun should be able to blow off limbs with point blank shots aimed at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ag Bengip posted:

Are we really okay with this?

Only if he's british.

• Locked thread