Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Yep. I looked. It is dark. Didn't seem as dark as the double aged so I thought it was a light rum. Got the three for making hurricanes so did not try any of them straight. But they mixed great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Can now say that Plantation Original Dark makes an alright old fashioned with a reduced charge of demerara. Decidedly simple and lacking spunk yet tempts me top try a hot buttered rum with the stuff. I think my verdict will be that it's a reasonably decent liquor mixed and serviceable neat but Barbancourt 5 Star and Pusser's are both much better for the same price.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Important rum rec: Mt. Gay Black is a pretty decent rum for drinking with a cigar, cause it's quite pleasant and nicely-made, but you don't feel like you're missing out when the cigar messes with your palate.

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

The Scarlet Ibis is fuckin' awesome.

I haven't had this rum in years, but I remember it being good as hell. I need to track down a bottle.

donkey salami posted:

smith and cross is the usual under $30 I go for.

Man I wish Smitty was under $30 in my area.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kenning posted:

I haven't had this rum in years, but I remember it being good as hell. I need to track down a bottle.

It was super limited release, wasn't it? If you find one let me know.....

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
The Shaker in Austin gets it on the reg, so it's definitely being made.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, it was commissioned by Death and Co. and I thought it was only going to be available in strictly limited quantities but it would be great if it were just around now. I remember using it to make a truly unconscionable batch of Oxford Punch that I think might be the most hungover I've ever been. That's a fond memory.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I've been absolutely unable to find any El Dorado rum where I live, I'm thinking of emailing their distributor for the state to see if anyone carries it.

I learned that Pusser's Navy Rum is also from Guyana so I gave it a try.

Man, it's different from El Dorado. It's growing on me though.

Assuming I end up poo poo out of luck on my quest for El Dorado, what are the broad strokes on other similar quality rums? 50ish bucks a bottle, not for mixing.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 15, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

what are the broad strokes on other similar quality rums? 50ish bucks a bottle, not for mixing.

What is even going to be available to you in the $50 range for rum if El Dorado isnt?

E: Honestly, $50 is kind of an arbitrary price point. You'll find a lot of stuff in the $30-40 range, and then it jumps up into the high end bracket pretty quickly. If Dorado is to your liking, you'll probably also enjoy Zacapa 23, though it's overly sweet and is has a ton of glycerine added to it. Centenario, Pampero and Dilpomatico are also probably good options for you (and all in the $30-40 bracket).

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 15, 2017

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I thought the diplomatico exclusiva was cloyingly, irritatingly sweet & had a distinct bubble gum/cola syrup note, but ymmv.
For the ~50 dollar range I don't think you can beat the Barbancourt 15. It's dryer than Eldo and has a lil tiny hint of agricole funk buried under the vanilla and dried fruit and oak notes. Probably the best sub-$75 bottle I've had for sipping.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fart Car '97 posted:

What is even going to be available to you in the $50 range for rum if El Dorado isnt?

E: Honestly, $50 is kind of an arbitrary price point. You'll find a lot of stuff in the $30-40 range, and then it jumps up into the high end bracket pretty quickly. If Dorado is to your liking, you'll probably also enjoy Zacapa 23, though it's overly sweet and is has a ton of glycerine added to it. Centenario, Pampero and Dilpomatico are also probably good options for you (and all in the $30-40 bracket).

There are probably 50 different rums at that price point at the local liquor store they have pretty much everything you can imagine except el dorado and it's driving me nuts.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

There are probably 50 different rums at that price point at the local liquor store they have pretty much everything you can imagine except el dorado and it's driving me nuts.

What kind of bizarro liquor store is this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Idk what the pricing in the states is but the pussers 15yo is excellent and has a lot of that Guyana character.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fart Car '97 posted:

What kind of bizarro liquor store is this

Total Wine

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
If t doesn't have El Dorado, it is at best Partial Wine.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

pgroce posted:

If t doesn't have El Dorado, it is at best Partial Wine.

Tell me about it. El Dorado used to be like the only really good rum they had anywhere 10+ years ago, and now they have fifty million rums I've never heard of but no El Dorado.

I grew up with close Guyanese friends/family friends and it was All El Dorado All The Time, and I haven't been able to find any for like 2 years.

Anyway I emailed their distributor for the state to see if I can get a list of places that stock it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've seen Smith and Cross, Barbancourt 5 Star (and also Estate Reserve), and Zacapa 23 at Total Wine. I think they've also had Zaya, which is fine, and some of the nicer expressions of Appleton, which I like. Those are all safe bets, and should be below or around $50.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

On a whim, I bought a bottle of Bayou Satsuma rum. It's not all that bad just straight! Very smooth.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

I thought the diplomatico exclusiva was cloyingly, irritatingly sweet & had a distinct bubble gum/cola syrup note, but ymmv.
For the ~50 dollar range I don't think you can beat the Barbancourt 15. It's dryer than Eldo and has a lil tiny hint of agricole funk buried under the vanilla and dried fruit and oak notes. Probably the best sub-$75 bottle I've had for sipping.

They've got this at the nearby total wine I'm gonna go get some later I think.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

hakimashou posted:

I've been absolutely unable to find any El Dorado rum where I live, I'm thinking of emailing their distributor for the state to see if anyone carries it.

For anything you can't find at a local shop, this website ships to all states. I've ordered 4-5 times from them with excellent service. They may take a few days to a week+ to ship your order, but they will ship:

https://www.drinkupny.com/El-Dorado-12-p/s0847.htm

They have the 12 yr and 15 yr. They also have a fantastic variety of other rare poo poo you can't find at most local stores. The Balcones whiskeys and Rumble (a rum with honey) is also amazing. One of the best Rum's I've had, although not completely traditional. They have all sorts of weird stuff, including good absinthes too.

Total Wine also has a spiced rum called Siesta Key Rum which is incredibly good for its price. Just ignore the fact it's "spiced", since most spiced rums are total garbage; this one being the exception. Their coconut rum is also quality stuff and worth picking up (real coconut, not artificial) and they only use local Florida molasses and no fake ingredients. I highly recommend these two rums. It's on par with El Dorado 12 year for taste, but different.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I'm not really a fan of this Barbancourt 15. It's really tannic or something, zingy and bitter.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to the Bahamas, specifically Nassau, and I was curious if there's any amazing rums I should pick up (and presumably pay customs on, no idea how that works) while I'm there! We are gonna tour the Watlings distillery for sure but is there anything else amazing we should hunt for?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

hakimashou posted:

I'm not really a fan of this Barbancourt 15. It's really tannic or something, zingy and bitter.

That's too bad! Barbancourt rums have a distinct rubbery flavor that I actually really favor – it dries out the brown sugar and toffee, which is the first hit you get. I feel like the 15 year mellows the rubber into more a leather or tobacco flavor. I definitely recommend drinking it slowly, and trying to pick apart the flavors so you can ID them. That said, it's possible it's just not your style, but I really like it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kenning posted:

That's too bad! Barbancourt rums have a distinct rubbery flavor that I actually really favor – it dries out the brown sugar and toffee, which is the first hit you get. I feel like the 15 year mellows the rubber into more a leather or tobacco flavor. I definitely recommend drinking it slowly, and trying to pick apart the flavors so you can ID them. That said, it's possible it's just not your style, but I really like it.

I've had a little more of it the past couple nights and it is starting to grow on me. It was pretty different from any other rum i'd had and quite a bit different from the Pussers i'd been drinking.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just bought Appleton 12. poo poo is tasty but I think it won't dethrone El Dorado for siping. Need to find good cocktails that will highlight it

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm trying to find my ideal baseline white rum for using in cocktails. I'm biased towards whole cane distillations.

Just compared La Favorite Rhum Agricole from Martinique with Barbancourt White Rhum from Haiti. Sad to say the proper Rhum Agricole from Martinique tasted much better, I'm not sure if the cheaper price really justifies getting Barbancourt instead.

As far as Marinique goes the Clement white was even better than La Favorite. JM was great too.

Worth checking out Cachaça to try more whole cane white rum? I was never super impressed with 51 or Pitu, definitely had those.

Non white rum content: Smith and Cross is great too.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 7, 2017

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Leblon is great cachaça, you should try that if you like the cane-distilled spirits.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I'm super into the Damoiseau 110 unfiltered agricole from Guadalupe.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Picked up a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum. There's no age statement on it, but it's Black Seal rum that has been laid down in barrels for a long time(16-20 years according to some sources). It's really great rum and would go incredibly well with a cigar or as a winter sipper. I don't know of any other black/dark rums that have been aged anywhere near as long.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm trying to find my ideal baseline white rum for using in cocktails. I'm biased towards whole cane distillations.

Just compared La Favorite Rhum Agricole from Martinique with Barbancourt White Rhum from Haiti. Sad to say the proper Rhum Agricole from Martinique tasted much better, I'm not sure if the cheaper price really justifies getting Barbancourt instead.

As far as Marinique goes the Clement white was even better than La Favorite. JM was great too.

Worth checking out Cachaça to try more whole cane white rum? I was never super impressed with 51 or Pitu, definitely had those.

Non white rum content: Smith and Cross is great too.

Are you in the States? Havana Club 3yr is my preferred "white" rum for cocktails, but of course it will not be available in the US.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Hello all. I'm trying to track down a type of rum that my co-worker said was the best he ever tasted. The problem being is that it was over 30 years ago and he only had it once.

He's told me that:

. It is in a spherical bottle decorated with raised vines
. It's was made on 'some island nation'
. It is made by monks. At the time it was only made in small batches of 500.

I know it's not much but if anyone knows anything he'd be appreciative.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh man, please tell me it's not Old Monk. That stuff is vile :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bear in mind that there are roughly a thousand liquors that are often said to be made by monks, when they're actually early 20th century reconstructions of what was supposedly a monastic recipe.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm waiting for a call from the liquor store. Hopefully I'll have my Pusser's Gunpowder Proof before the 31st

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

. It's was made on 'some island nation'

This doesn't really help.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
England. It's English rum.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Yeah that's all he could remember, wish I had more.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Picked up a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum. There's no age statement on it, but it's Black Seal rum that has been laid down in barrels for a long time(16-20 years according to some sources). It's really great rum and would go incredibly well with a cigar or as a winter sipper. I don't know of any other black/dark rums that have been aged anywhere near as long.

Time to necromant this thread. I bought some of this recently and while good, I found it tastes more like a dark rum than an old rum. Like, not very different from regular Black Seal. It's good for sure, but I think the black strap molasses or whatever has such a strong taste to begin with that it's hard to tell much of a difference.

In other news Appleton Rare (12 year) is my new favorite, what a finish and it goes on forever. And less than 40 dollars! Another tasty one is Diplomatico Reserva Exclusive, it's more on the sweet and viscous side of things with a ton of coconut like taste to it. I think Zacapa XO is my next mission because I found it somewhere for $74 instead of $120 so who can pass up such a deal?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Also has anyone seen Ron Millonario for sale anywhere? The XO is always on top ten lists everywhere but I've never seen it for sale in multiple states and can't seem to find it for sale online either after a relatively shallow search.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have, here in The Netherlands. ;)

Try master of malt or the whisky exchange, they're UK based but they ship international.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

krustster posted:

Time to necromant this thread. I bought some of this recently and while good, I found it tastes more like a dark rum than an old rum.

Because... It is dark rum?

• Locked thread