Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes it's fun to just start a new game, cheat spawn in a nice carrier with all the bells and whistles for yourself, and a bunch of Kha'ak ships on the other end of the sector.

Just pure space combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

So whenever I shift+tab to open the Steam interface, it breaks SETA. This is super annoying. Unbinding Tab doesn't seem to fix the problem. Is there an option somewhere that I might have missed?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much anything at all will break SETA, I don't know if you're ever going to be able to open the Steam overlay without it stopping :(

If someone knows how I'd be interested, too, though.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I don't know about the steam overly, but I have found a way to keep the game running with SETA active while out of focus or minimize. Bind the Video Enhancement Goggles to Alt. For some reason, that's the one piece of equipment that doesn't break SETA when used, so as long as you press Alt and Tab with about a half second between keystrokes, you can reliably keep SETA going while the game is minimized. I've left the game running over night after building a few factory complexes, and come back to a couple hundred million in credits by morning.

Be warned. Minimizing the game while "Run game in background" is enabled breaks the throttle on my joystick. I'm using a T Flight HOTAS X. Don't know if other joysticks will have similar problems. Just need to quit the game and reload to fix it, but it's still annoying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Can someone explain to me what FDN actually is? I can see the list of features, and it does seem pretty nice, but I have no idea what the gently caress it actually is. Is FDN some kind of station that I buy? Is it a setting for an equipment dock? I have no clue.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

X3 modders are terrible at documenting their own features, but I'll take a stab at it. In the normal game, the resources a factory complex needs and the products they create can't move on their own. They need a ship to move them from factory to trading dock, and so on. FDN eliminates the need for freight ships and complexes on player-owned stations by making them automatically share all resources, regardless of distance. The energy cells from a Solar Power Plant around Neptune could be used by a Wheat Farm around Argon Prime, which would produce wheat to be used at a Rimes Fact in Kingdom End, all instantaneously. In addition, products can be automatically sold to any NPC station in any system in which you have a presence, i.e. a ship or advanced satellite. However, in order to manage the products your factories produce with FDN, you need to build and designate a Distribution Center, which can be any non-factory type space station, such as a Trading Port or Player HQ. The Distribution Center provides a centralized physical storage location for resources, like a warehouse. All FDN functions can be accessed via the Plugin Configuration hotkey, which you can bind at the very bottom of the Interface tab on the control options. I have mine set to ';'.

I hope this answers your question!

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Stuff to add to the first post:

Since the release of AP 3.0, the main download of Complex Cleaner is no longer fully compatible (the update changes TFactoriesT.txt). Ordinarily you'd have to do some manual editing of game files, but fortunately one of the nice modders on the Egosoft forums has provided this update of Complex Cleaner for AP 3.0, which is also already packaged for installation with the Plugin Manager.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Added!

That paragraph is a good summary; the tl;dr is You assign it to any player-owned non-factory station and it aggregates/manages all inputs and outputs from all your factories anywhere in the galaxy like one gigantic warehouse.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 16, 2013

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So I'm at a point where I've never been before, have a massive 20ish station complex that's completely self sufficient, 10ish UTs and millions of dollars. I've got the PHQ and halfway through the Hub quest. And now I'm somewhat bored. Seems like at this point I'm a little underwhelmed with the PHQ and to start making real money I'm basically just going to be navigating menus setting up infrastructure (CLTs, CAGs, buying stations etc), which is awfully irritating thanks to the stupid leveling mechanics on pilots etc. I don't want to have to micro-manage 50 different ships just to get them to a state where they're no longer a pain in my rear end.

Problem is I'm doing an achievement run, so not sure what I want to do next. Ideas? I fly around in a Centaur even though I hate it, because my goal is to capture a Xenon P and use it as my personal ship but Ps are hard to find and it takes bloody forever to train up soldiers so despite having been training 10+ soldiers for half my game they're still in perpetual training.

Also, I guess, how do you Commodity Logistics work? I've tried setting up an internal CLS with my complex as a supplier and the PHQ and a consumer, and the CLS agents never deliver cargo to the PHQ.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 17, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

Also, I guess, how do you Commodity Logistics work? I've tried setting up an internal CLS with my complex as a supplier and the PHQ and a consumer, and the CLS agents never deliver cargo to the PHQ.

If I remember correctly a PHQ is weird. It doesn't have any products or inputs by default, so you may need to add some manually first. Say you're trying to move missiles from the complex to the PHQ, deliver some there manually first so they register.

As for the Xenon, good luck they are the hardest ships to board in the game. Personally I just liked loading up an OP M2 like the Boreas and cleaning out entire Xenon sectors.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

I've actually been having a lot of fun lately flying around in a CODEA carrier full of Spitfyres, watching my cute little pilots level up, doing missions, and finishing up the plots. Sometimes I pop out in my personal M3 to participate in the dogfights. For capital ships CODEA lets you dock M8 bombers to the carrier if you hire a Mechanic and a Technician for each one (no leveling up needed actually), and bind a hotkey to perform an auto-scaled missile barrage on your target. Essentially your carrier becomes a mini missile frigate. Oddly enough this turns out to be fairly balanced and "strategic", since the bombers are so fragile that you need to stay >10km away, a distance from which enemy destroyers have a good chance of shooting down 90% of the missiles... unless they're being distracted by your fighters :). Surprisingly I also haven't had any problems with fighters being taken out by flak; they're very good about retreating to the carrier when their shields are down. Experienced pilots will also eject from a destroyed fighter so they can be retrieved by a cargo salvage ship you set up. I use Marine Repairs and Training with 20 marines on-board my carrier to repair damaged fighters, although CODEA also provides its own native repair capability. You do lose the occasional fighter in a heated battle, but by the time you're rich enough to fill a carrier you'll have enough income to easily replace it without feeling the loss.

With the ability to claim sectors for tax income provided by Improved Races 2.0, I also have a cool long-term goal to work towards once I'm rich enough to field multiple carriers for patrols. The "Hot War" and races-invading-each-other options are weird and feel like they'll mess up my universe, so I keep them all disabled. I'm using a Kha'ak Invasions mod to occasionally spice things up with a random invasion event (usually I can't even clean up the whole thing and have to retreat). Once I have patrols set up I also plan to enable the Improved Races mini-Xenon attacks, and go hostile to the pirates, so they have something to defend against. The Phanon Corporation mod also provides a cool enemy race with its own traders, patrols, and well-defended home base; then if/when you manage to destroy it, they come back about a day later at an increased difficulty (more ships, more traders, better defenses, more aggressive towards your own ships and factories).

Micromanagement doesn't look like it'll be an issue since CODEA allows you to set up "replenishment tenders" which can deliver replacement fighters to all your carriers from a central location, and Improved Races allows you to order fully-upgraded and almost fully-equipped fighters from a shipyard (you still need to provide weapons, but CODEA also auto-equips them once they're available).

So those are my recommendations for long-term Fun. In a Steam achievement run I guess you won't be able to install any of these though, so I can't help you there :(. My advice is to forget about achievements unless you're truly masochistic.

edit: added links

Nomikos fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 17, 2013

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

If I remember correctly a PHQ is weird. It doesn't have any products or inputs by default, so you may need to add some manually first. Say you're trying to move missiles from the complex to the PHQ, deliver some there manually first so they register.
You'll want to use the Dockware Manager for this. It lets you add and remove wares from the PHQ's list, and set an upper limit on the quantity that'll be respected by all the trading scripts (CAG, CLS). It's part of the bonus pack.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Yea I feel like I'm pretty close to getting the achievments I care about, I may end up just using the Steam Acheivment Manager; but your recommendations look pretty good.

One thing I've thought of and would be cool if there's an existing mod for it, are there any mods that rebalance the number and stats of the ships, by class? In other words, I feel there are far to many M2s and M3s in the universe, they're basically common-place and don't really feel powerful at all. I'd like to see something where M1s are pretty rare, M2s are also pretty rare but slightly less so, and instead of M2s and M1s everywhere we have way more fighters and M6s and M7s basically replace the current proportions and placement of M1s and M2s.

Honestly you wouldn't even need to rebalance the ships necessarily, just double the health values of shields and hulls or something globally to account for the increased fighters and you'd be good to go.

To add on to that, any thoughts on XRM? Eyeballing it seems like an interesting way to liven the game back up.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 17, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I started as the Peacekeeper and the first mission (after the flight tutorial) sends me through about 4 warpgates to where a fight is occuring. As soon as I get near, 5 ships that completely outclass me make a beeline and toast me. I've reloading the save game three times now and get the same thing. The heck am I supposed to be doing?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SERPUS posted:

I started as the Peacekeeper and the first mission (after the flight tutorial) sends me through about 4 warpgates to where a fight is occuring. As soon as I get near, 5 ships that completely outclass me make a beeline and toast me. I've reloading the save game three times now and get the same thing. The heck am I supposed to be doing?

Random chance could just be giving you an encounter there that you can't handle. Either restart the character, or just go around doing random missions from stations in safe sectors for a bit.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

SERPUS posted:

You don't need to do much. Just fly around in that sector and pick off some fighters, preferably ones that are already damaged or engaging other ships. You need only 3 kills or so before you're told to head back for a new mission.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Yea I feel like I'm pretty close to getting the achievments I care about, I may end up just using the Steam Acheivment Manager; but your recommendations look pretty good.

One thing I've thought of and would be cool if there's an existing mod for it, are there any mods that rebalance the number and stats of the ships, by class? In other words, I feel there are far to many M2s and M3s in the universe, they're basically common-place and don't really feel powerful at all. I'd like to see something where M1s are pretty rare, M2s are also pretty rare but slightly less so, and instead of M2s and M1s everywhere we have way more fighters and M6s and M7s basically replace the current proportions and placement of M1s and M2s.

Honestly you wouldn't even need to rebalance the ships necessarily, just double the health values of shields and hulls or something globally to account for the increased fighters and you'd be good to go.

To add on to that, any thoughts on XRM? Eyeballing it seems like an interesting way to liven the game back up.

XRM is great. It completely revitalized the game for me, and all of its features work like a charm. I've been using it with Improved Races 2.0, the NPC bailing script, and the Pirate Guild 3 mod, which attempts to turn pirates into a proper faction of their own. I've been having a grand ol' time salvaging and looting and pillaging across the galaxy. Snagged myself a bunch of frigates, a pair of REALLY cool looking Kha'ak capital ships unique to XRM, and made over 700 million credits in just a few game days without ever touching the Stock Market, building a single factory, or using a single automated trader. It's an oddly satisfying way to play.

M1 and M2 class ships aren't exactly rare in XRM, but I feel like the Racial Response Fleets from Improved Races 2.0 are at least proportioned how you would like. In addition, XRM has a couple of optional Hull Multiplier packs, if you want ships to feel a bit beefier.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Anyone have any suggestions on completing the Poisoned Paranid start? With 36 hours left to go I've got only a paltry 5 million of the 25 I need. Most of the suggestions I've seen consist of "find [X derelict ship in sector Y] and sell it" which is cheesy and doesn't even work in AP. So far I've made what I have buying used ships, repairing them, and selling for a profit, and the occasional rare "deliver X military personnel to Y." I have a mediocre M3 I bought used but I don't see how it'd be even possible to scrounge up enough for a decent M3+ needed to take on the more lucrative combat missions. Should I start over or is there some method I'm missing?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Seeing this thread reminded me that I bought X3: The Reunion back when it came out and it was to utterly complex for me to really get into at the time. Albion Prelude looks like it requires the Terran Conflict, I was wondering if my old rear end copy of Reunion will suffice? Though im doubtful because steam won't even recognise my reunion key; I don't think its compatable.

Failing that will any of these mods work with Reunion?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

d3c0y2 posted:

Seeing this thread reminded me that I bought X3: The Reunion back when it came out and it was to utterly complex for me to really get into at the time. Albion Prelude looks like it requires the Terran Conflict, I was wondering if my old rear end copy of Reunion will suffice? Though im doubtful because steam won't even recognise my reunion key; I don't think its compatable.

Failing that will any of these mods work with Reunion?

Reunion won't work for Albion Prelude and the mods for AP would probably not work but x3:r has its own scripting and modding forum on the egosoft website at http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=66 which should have a bunch of the same or similar mods and scripts. X3 also usually goes on sale during the steam summer sale so you should be able to pick it up then if you want to wait.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on completing the Poisoned Paranid start? With 36 hours left to go I've got only a paltry 5 million of the 25 I need. Most of the suggestions I've seen consist of "find [X derelict ship in sector Y] and sell it" which is cheesy and doesn't even work in AP. So far I've made what I have buying used ships, repairing them, and selling for a profit, and the occasional rare "deliver X military personnel to Y." I have a mediocre M3 I bought used but I don't see how it'd be even possible to scrounge up enough for a decent M3+ needed to take on the more lucrative combat missions. Should I start over or is there some method I'm missing?

If all else fails, you can try the stock market. Teladi Stock Exchanges only require a one time entrance fee of 10,000 credits. It's a fairly reliable but boring way to make money.

Flea110
Apr 3, 2006
I have a complex in Split Fire supporting 94 Bliss Place Ls that can't sell their wares fast enough and are constantly full or nearly full. Is this due to a poor sector choice, or have I simply reached the limit of the demand for space weed?

They're selling it for 1 credit under the average price.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Flea110 posted:

I have a complex in Split Fire supporting 94 Bliss Place Ls that can't sell their wares fast enough and are constantly full or nearly full. Is this due to a poor sector choice, or have I simply reached the limit of the demand for space weed?

They're selling it for 1 credit under the average price.

Sector choice for spaceweed doesn't seem to matter too much. I usually drop a big complex in Freedom's Reach and even surrounded by pirates and Xenon it get enough traffic. You probably flooded the market, ships really do sell wares and pirate stations are the only ones that buy it.

Seriously that's a huge complex.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Open up other weed factories around the galaxy and use CLS or something the move weed to them, use your big complex like a distribution center.

Flea110
Apr 3, 2006
Is it possible for enemy ships to bail after receiving fire from one of my AI controlled ships?

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I own Terran Conflict and was thinking of getting back into this game. Is Albion Prelude worth getting? I should note that I also haven't fully explored the possibilities of the base game and I'm unclear on exactly what AP adds in terms of features. I'm less concerned with plot.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
So after a year or whatever of owning this I'm finally starting to mildly understand how to play and enjoy it (jesus complicated).

Can anybody recommend a total conversion or anything that is highly story driven? The War stories seem pretty lame, as in a very weak storyline or things that don't make sense. I was hoping for some sort of conversion or a universe I'm more interested in like BSG or Star Wars/Trek or something but the X3 forum is so completely inundated with mods/scripts it's hard to figure out which ones are actually worth using.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

vty posted:

So after a year or whatever of owning this I'm finally starting to mildly understand how to play and enjoy it (jesus complicated).

Can anybody recommend a total conversion or anything that is highly story driven? The War stories seem pretty lame, as in a very weak storyline or things that don't make sense. I was hoping for some sort of conversion or a universe I'm more interested in like BSG or Star Wars/Trek or something but the X3 forum is so completely inundated with mods/scripts it's hard to figure out which ones are actually worth using.

Unfortunately the thing you want doesn't exist.

There have been a few attempts at Star Wars conversions; the most recent one got as far as changing most of the in-game ship models to star wars versions (of significantly lower quality) and changing a few in-game sound clips to Ackbar yelling a particular phrase (no prizes for guessing which). Everything else (plot, sectors, races) remained the same, so the effect would have been rather nonsensical.

I'm not aware of any story mods that have gained any kind of recognition. There probably have been a few attempts, but I would bet a large sum of money that all of them are either incomplete and/or feature cartoon ponies.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Some of the individual Star Wars ships are pretty cool, but the balance is way hit or miss. If memory serves the A-wing is a half-decent M5, with a cool looking model. On the other hand some of the TIEs (the Sentinel and Defender come to mind) fly at 1500-2000 m/s with ridiculous armaments.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Some of the individual Star Wars ships are pretty cool, but the balance is way hit or miss. If memory serves the A-wing is a half-decent M5, with a cool looking model. On the other hand some of the TIEs (the Sentinel and Defender come to mind) fly at 1500-2000 m/s with ridiculous armaments.

Sounds about right for how hyped defenders were. Did they add in a missile boat which had the abilities of an M7M in the form of an m3?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
So I started the Shady Business plot that's added in 3.0, and reached the point where a ship is supposed to spawn, but the wrong ship is spawning. Some basic research indicates this is probably an issue with one of the mods that edits the 'tships' file and isn't compatible with 3.0, so the new ships added in that version aren't showing up.

I'm only using mods from the script compilation posted in the OP. Is there any way to tell which of those mods makes changes to 'tships' so I can try and find an updated version?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

q_k posted:

Sounds about right for how hyped defenders were. Did they add in a missile boat which had the abilities of an M7M in the form of an m3?

Unfortunately my PC is being shipped from overseas so I won't know until I get it back.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

So I started the Shady Business plot that's added in 3.0, and reached the point where a ship is supposed to spawn, but the wrong ship is spawning. Some basic research indicates this is probably an issue with one of the mods that edits the 'tships' file and isn't compatible with 3.0, so the new ships added in that version aren't showing up.

I'm only using mods from the script compilation posted in the OP. Is there any way to tell which of those mods makes changes to 'tships' so I can try and find an updated version?
Changes to TShipsT and all those files are either packed up into the .cat & .dat files, or left as a loose file under the "types/" directory. For AP as opposed to TC, all of this is taking place under the "addon/" directory (so, "addon/types/"). You can use X3 Editor 2 to look inside a .cat file and see if it contains a TShipsT. Some more snooping around inside it should hopefully let you figure out which mod it's from. Start with the highest-numbered .cat/.dat, since they're applied in order and the last one that changes a particular file has the final word.

edit: Although I just glanced through that script compilation and didn't see anything that makes any changes to the types data. Everything in there appears to be a plain old script which should all be compatible with each other and with everything else. :confused:

Nomikos fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 25, 2013

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Nomikos posted:

Changes to TShipsT and all those files are either packed up into the .cat & .dat files, or left as a loose file under the "types/" directory. For AP as opposed to TC, all of this is taking place under the "addon/" directory (so, "addon/types/"). You can use X3 Editor 2 to look inside a .cat file and see if it contains a TShipsT. Some more snooping around inside it should hopefully let you figure out which mod it's from. Start with the highest-numbered .cat/.dat, since they're applied in order and the last one that changes a particular file has the final word.

edit: Although I just glanced through that script compilation and didn't see anything that makes any changes to the types data. Everything in there appears to be a plain old script which should all be compatible with each other and with everything else. :confused:

Well bollocks, I went through every .cat file I could find and not one of them has an entry in TShips for the Acinonyx, which is what's supposed to spawn there. I definitely have 3.0 installed or I wouldn't have been able to start the plot, but it looks like there are bits missing.

Has anyone else been able to complete Shady Business, and if so, can you check to see if there's a TShips entry for the Acinonyx?

edit: Well I bit the bullet and started testing by hand. I uninstalled all the mods, spawned the Acinonyx, and started adding them back until it crashed.

The culprit? MARS Fire Control, which hasn't been updated for 3.0.

There is a workaround, however, that involves deleting/renaming the .cat/.dat pair created by the Plugin Manager in the \addons folder when MARS is installed. This will keep the TShips file clean and allow the 3.0 ships to appear correctly, and the MARS turret controls will still work.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I want to get back into this so should I buy the TC/Albion pack or Goldbox so I get Reunion aswell?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

go3 posted:

I want to get back into this so should I buy the TC/Albion pack or Goldbox so I get Reunion aswell?

The TC+Albion pack, Reunion is completely obsolete at this point. Although you should wait a week or so for the Steam summer sale to come around so you can get it super cheap.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What is a good script that will turn my turrets into CIWS guns for missile defence?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Falken posted:

What is a good script that will turn my turrets into CIWS guns for missile defence?

Mosquito defense is really the best anti-missile script, but MARS should work just fine for turrets.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Will check it out. I got past mission 3 anyway, sold my Nova prototype and got my hands on a Mercury Super Freighter XL. The last time I played this game was X3 Reunion back in 2006 and I had over a hundred automated Mercury class ships doing trading for me. It's nice that Albion Prelude throws you a bone with these free ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Falken posted:

Yeah, seconding MARS. Stick it on a corvette or bigger, and it'll automatically manage your turrets. If there's a ship to shoot at, it'll use the biggest weapon it thinks it can hit with. When an inbound missile gets in range, it'll switch to something fast firing like IREs to shoot it down.

Edit: I should clarify that you can put MARS on any ship (unless you use XRM which makes it an XL ware), but it's kind of a waste on something that only has one turret or a very small amount of laser energy.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 3, 2013

• Locked thread