Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Troll Bridgington posted:

Looks like I need to reinstall this game again. I had a pretty awesome trading network going last time.

It was so easy to make mad spacebux with the stock market. Is it still like that?

It is! Mad easy, but also super boring. I'd use the stock market in conjunction with SETA and just leave the game running in the background while I did something else, occasionally checking back to see how my investments were doing. Once I made enough to get a good start on my trading and station empire, I never really looked at the stock market again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Huh. What IS the deal with the Detector, anyways? I've also got the whole "This plugin is controlled by a plot mission" message when I tried to activate it in the Artificial Life settings, but I figured that was due to the XRM mod which I've installed. If someone can tell me what I have to do in order to activate it, I'd be keen to know.

XRM is a pretty great mod, by the way. You folks who have moved on from the vanilla game ought to give it a look.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

LP97S posted:

Okay, I started a new game, have all of the plugins from the mega goon pack running, got the first three ships, and then said screw it and made about 18,000,000 on the Stock Market. I decided it was time to make a fleet of traders but the guide in part 3 of the OP is a bit screwy. The main problem is that there's no Trade Command Software Mk3 at the OTAS shipyard. According to some places online, it's only at Teladi shipyards. I'm I just screwing up here?

Nah, you can find it around Argon and Boron sectors as well. The most "central" place to pick it up, at least that I can remember offhand, is from Terracorp HQ in Home of Light, but it's far from the only place to find it. If worse comes to worst, you can always check the in-game encyclopedia, which can be found in the Personal tab on the sidebar, under "Advanced." Software and ship upgrades like that are listed under "Ship Equipment," and when you check the entry it'll list the location of all stations that sell them, assuming you've passed by them at least once.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 11, 2013

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I don't know about the steam overly, but I have found a way to keep the game running with SETA active while out of focus or minimize. Bind the Video Enhancement Goggles to Alt. For some reason, that's the one piece of equipment that doesn't break SETA when used, so as long as you press Alt and Tab with about a half second between keystrokes, you can reliably keep SETA going while the game is minimized. I've left the game running over night after building a few factory complexes, and come back to a couple hundred million in credits by morning.

Be warned. Minimizing the game while "Run game in background" is enabled breaks the throttle on my joystick. I'm using a T Flight HOTAS X. Don't know if other joysticks will have similar problems. Just need to quit the game and reload to fix it, but it's still annoying.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

X3 modders are terrible at documenting their own features, but I'll take a stab at it. In the normal game, the resources a factory complex needs and the products they create can't move on their own. They need a ship to move them from factory to trading dock, and so on. FDN eliminates the need for freight ships and complexes on player-owned stations by making them automatically share all resources, regardless of distance. The energy cells from a Solar Power Plant around Neptune could be used by a Wheat Farm around Argon Prime, which would produce wheat to be used at a Rimes Fact in Kingdom End, all instantaneously. In addition, products can be automatically sold to any NPC station in any system in which you have a presence, i.e. a ship or advanced satellite. However, in order to manage the products your factories produce with FDN, you need to build and designate a Distribution Center, which can be any non-factory type space station, such as a Trading Port or Player HQ. The Distribution Center provides a centralized physical storage location for resources, like a warehouse. All FDN functions can be accessed via the Plugin Configuration hotkey, which you can bind at the very bottom of the Interface tab on the control options. I have mine set to ';'.

I hope this answers your question!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Yea I feel like I'm pretty close to getting the achievments I care about, I may end up just using the Steam Acheivment Manager; but your recommendations look pretty good.

One thing I've thought of and would be cool if there's an existing mod for it, are there any mods that rebalance the number and stats of the ships, by class? In other words, I feel there are far to many M2s and M3s in the universe, they're basically common-place and don't really feel powerful at all. I'd like to see something where M1s are pretty rare, M2s are also pretty rare but slightly less so, and instead of M2s and M1s everywhere we have way more fighters and M6s and M7s basically replace the current proportions and placement of M1s and M2s.

Honestly you wouldn't even need to rebalance the ships necessarily, just double the health values of shields and hulls or something globally to account for the increased fighters and you'd be good to go.

To add on to that, any thoughts on XRM? Eyeballing it seems like an interesting way to liven the game back up.

XRM is great. It completely revitalized the game for me, and all of its features work like a charm. I've been using it with Improved Races 2.0, the NPC bailing script, and the Pirate Guild 3 mod, which attempts to turn pirates into a proper faction of their own. I've been having a grand ol' time salvaging and looting and pillaging across the galaxy. Snagged myself a bunch of frigates, a pair of REALLY cool looking Kha'ak capital ships unique to XRM, and made over 700 million credits in just a few game days without ever touching the Stock Market, building a single factory, or using a single automated trader. It's an oddly satisfying way to play.

M1 and M2 class ships aren't exactly rare in XRM, but I feel like the Racial Response Fleets from Improved Races 2.0 are at least proportioned how you would like. In addition, XRM has a couple of optional Hull Multiplier packs, if you want ships to feel a bit beefier.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on completing the Poisoned Paranid start? With 36 hours left to go I've got only a paltry 5 million of the 25 I need. Most of the suggestions I've seen consist of "find [X derelict ship in sector Y] and sell it" which is cheesy and doesn't even work in AP. So far I've made what I have buying used ships, repairing them, and selling for a profit, and the occasional rare "deliver X military personnel to Y." I have a mediocre M3 I bought used but I don't see how it'd be even possible to scrounge up enough for a decent M3+ needed to take on the more lucrative combat missions. Should I start over or is there some method I'm missing?

If all else fails, you can try the stock market. Teladi Stock Exchanges only require a one time entrance fee of 10,000 credits. It's a fairly reliable but boring way to make money.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Falken posted:

Ahh, I see. Got it all running now, but for some reason the throttle and HAT switch on my stick stop working and autopilot fails to operate. I'm going to try a reboot and see if that does anything good.

This happens to me if I have "Run game in background" enabled and I alt-tab out, so don't do that. Also, try unchecking "use throttle" in launcher control options.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Falken posted:

I just recently set Improved Races 2.0 to do takeovers of nearby sectors. The Teladi, Paranid and Argon have been happily swiping up sectors from the Xenon and Pirates. At this rate there will be no hostile sectors left. Might just declare war on the split.

Also, I claimed the Unknown sector east of Legend's Home when I installed Improved Races, and suddenly the Argon have started plonking stations down right infront of me. :argh:

Plonk your own station -- doesn't matter what kind -- down in that sector, and you can then collect tax income from every station the Argon put down.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

XRM requires a new game to work. It supposed to be way more hardcore, but I've never actually used it before. I'd also be interested in hearing what people think about it.

I love it, but I had the benefit of playing a couple dozen hours of Vanilla X3AP before I installed it. Now, though, I love almost everything XRM brings to the table. I don't play without it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I'm gonna go against the popular opinion and say that I really like the name. Much like the "Moldy Crow" from the Jedi Knight games, the name kind of evokes a humble beginning. It's a centuries old, beat up rustbucket of a ship, but the unique-if-not-grandiose name and the faded nose art make it a rustbucket that someone, somewhere, once had a lot of affection for. I think it turns the player ship into a scrappy underdog, and everybody loves to root for a scrappy underdog.

I wouldn't be opposed to being allowed to rename it, though. I'd still keep the default name, but it'd be nice for the option to be available for the people that don't share my viewpoint.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

And that is why you don't go to your forums for something that important.

I like the name. :shobon:

I'm sorry it's not your cup of tea, but there's no pleasing everyone.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

You guys freaking out about the nose art must have really weak stomachs. It just looks like a piece of World War II nose art. I don't get why you're all upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I only want to know one things about Litcube's Universe: Can I use hacking software to capture myself a Kha'ak advanced destroyer, like I did in XRM?

Speaking of which, I never did figure out how boarding worked in either Vanilla or in XRM. My marines just ended up being a repair team for my ship salvage operations.

Edit: A quick gander at the LU Wiki tells me that no, this is, in fact, not possible, and it seems to be implying that there are no Kha'ak in the game at all. No laser-spewing neon purple space dragon, no sale.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2015

• Locked thread