Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Bhodi posted:

If you complete the plot, there is a way to end the war through an optional sub-plot... if you don't pick yaki.

You can still end the war if you side with the Yaki, you just have to choose to fight them during the Ambassadors mission instead of blowing up the Ozias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Bhodi posted:

Oh? I haven't gotten there yet. I assume you lose access to the shipyard in the Badlands if you go that route? Maybe that's what people meant. I'll correct that.

Just checked that, and managed to buy a couple of IBL forges from there, so that can't be it either. As far as I can see, the only penalty for doing it that way is having a Yaki fleet spawned at you.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Killgore Trout posted:

Does getting terran rep to 10 as an Argon get you access to the Aldrin Sectors/Springblossom? Also i'm still curious which stations have wares that sell to npcs well.

edit: N/M about the Aldrin stuff... I found it :stare:. And it seems that 7 rep is enough to buy the Springblossom. If anyone else is curious about how to find it: Xenon Sector 598 to Xenon Sector 627 to Xenon Core 023, then south to just plain old "Xenon Sector", from there it's west to Segaris and you're pretty much home free in Terran space. Just keep heading west to get to Aldrin. Oh, and bring a fast ship.

Or if you don't want to run the Xenon sectors, just do the Hub plot, it'll get you to the Megnir/Segaris gate with fairly little hassle.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

El Disco posted:

If this is AP and not TC, you can get to Althes through Neptune. In fact I think of the plots in TC had the Terrans installing a new jumpgate there.

Yes, but if you're not playing a Terran and haven't ground up your rep, they will slightly be shooting at you.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Falken posted:

https://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Station_Hack

e: I switched over to OK Traders when EST decided to stop working on me properly. They've somehow gotten my relations with the Terrans up to Citizen, however a Terran Cutlass is going around wiping the poor guys out. What gives?

e2: I tried putting Terran and ATF race relations to max, but it dwindles rapidly despite all I am doing is trading.

e3: Holy poo poo, even the Argons are taking potshots at my traders on the occasion.

e4: The Argons have now destroyed 2 of my OK Traders at Asteroid Belt, despite me being at Trusted Ally (but it is declining). What the hell? The traders aren't shipping any illegal wares.

Don't trade in the warzone. Until you end the war, the chucklefucks there will happily blow up your ships, no matter what your relations with them are. If you can blacklist sectors with the OK Traders mod, do that, otherwise you'll have to use a different trade software or just eat the losses.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, I pre-ordered too, even though I know it's gonna be buggy as hell when it comes out, and I'll have to re-purchase it when it finally comes out on the mac.

Good news! Rebirth is going to be Steamplay, so buying it once will get you the Windows/Mac/Linux versions at no extra cost.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

NatasDog posted:

Have I been hellbanned or something? I'm about fed up trying to figure out the Xenon Hub not cooperating with my CAGs and Dockware manager at this point, but I'd like to know if there's a simple fix I can do to make it work as designed.

No, your post is there, this thread just moves kinda slow. Three hours isn't long enough for someone to answer your question.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Unimpressed posted:

I have a question about X3 economics. I'm nearly 4 days into the game (game time of course), and I'm doing the Argon plot where you need to provide 3 laser towers. Looking around the map, I can see that there are many docks that sell them for the avg. price, but they have no stock. I can also find 3 factories (my map is around 60-70% explored) that make them, but they too have no stock. So, would it be a good idea to build a laser tower factory? Will the many docks that have them in their list buy them from me for the avg. price? If so, I reckon I could make good money from a factory. Would I be wrong in thinking so? I haven't had the best results so far with my nostrop oil complex, so I'm loathe to dump all this money into another non-productive enterprise.

Yeah, it's easier to build your own lasertower factory (just set it so that AI ships can't dock there until you've got the three you need), and you can make a healthy profit from selling them. Food isn't terribly profitable, but military stuff always seems to be in demand.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

EdsTeioh posted:

I get that it's a sandbox, I'm just not seeing any progress as I'm following where the mission is telling me to go.

Don't do the missions that want you to follow a guy, they're boring and terrible. Also, don't do the missions that want you to go recover a lost ship (at least until you get a jump drive), they're either boring and terrible or they actually don't give you enough time to get the ship back.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

double nine posted:

So I've started with the broke assassin pilot. Question: how does one rekindle the relation with the Boron (and possibly the Split), who hate you from the start of the game? I can only see 1 option right now, camp near a gate that goes to a boron border world, hope that a pirate squad spawns and lure them in the gate so I can kill them inside the boron territory. That seems like a lot of work for not a lot of benefit... Does anyone know a better way?

AI freighters will buy poo poo from your stations even if their race hates you, and every trade makes them like you a little more. If you can build a station in a border sector without getting it blown up, run the game on 10x SETA overnight. Boring and wasteful, but effective.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'd also be nice if the ships I steal didn't have virtually all their equipment/cargo magically disappear when the pilot bails.

When ships take hull damage, their equipment/cargo gets randomly destroyed. It happens to player ships too, but if you're taking hull damage you're probably hosed anyway.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I'm still playing X3:AP, so this question is directed towards people that can answer the quirks of that particular game.

Also, I already googled it and could not find an answer, or perhaps I don't know the syntax to get the correct answer.

I had 3 corvettes (Skirons) in a wing, flying in Delta formation (in the event that matters) doing a patrol across 4 sectors. (1, 2, 3, 4, 1) In a big loop.

I come back to the game and 2 of them had been blown up, 4 hours apart by 2 separate gates, one by the west gate one by the south gate.

What am I missing?

They probably ran into two hostiles/groups of hostiles and lost a corvette each time.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So I keep running into dumb issues with X3 AP.

I bought 4 stations, stuffed them into my mammoth and rode off into the sunset. Found out it isn't what I wanted and figured I could sell them.

Nope. Couldn't even Eject them. Build is the only option.

I don't even care if I take the loss on the stations, I just need my cargo hold cleared out.

How do I empty this sucker out? Do I just need to build the stations? Say I do, could I just close them up, or would I need to destroy them?

Thanks again for the advice. I just don't understand how I am doing the things no one else seems to have run into.

This is a ways back, but if you build a station and dock with it you can tell it to self-destruct. There's no other way than building to get the things out of your TL.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Flat Banana posted:

edit: or are corporate missions not in AP?

Nope.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

TipsyMcStagger posted:

After 3 hours of mapping systems, I died to an autopilot slamming me into the gate.. so i lost those 3 hours. Was pretty pissed at myself for not picking up salvage insurance for the whole 3000 credits it is..

Salvage insurance just allows you to save in space once per time you buy it, by the way, if you don't remember to use them at the right time you'll still lose 3 hours of game.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

Are the signed mods for AP (the ones that do not mark your game as *** modified ***) only the ones in the bonus package, or are there others?

Don't worry, all you lose for running unsigned mods is chievos.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Trustworthy posted:

Quick question: In AP, is that damned war already raging at the beginning of the game, or do things stay fairly peaceful until you intentionally begin some of the main quest missions?

I have hundreds of hours invested in TC, but only a few dozen in AP, and I haven't touched either in a couple years.

I'm really itching to reinstall one (probably AP, for all the obvious reasons) and play a low-combat game, slowly building up a trading/manufacturing empire. I want to be able to let it run in the background while I get some writing done, letting my automated traders earn in real-time and jumping in when I'm bored or when there's trouble.

As much as I'd like to go with the obvious choice of AP, I wonder if TC might not be a better option for me. I just want a fairly quiet western slice of Argon space, with occasional pirate raids and rapid response fleets ready to jump in when things get too rowdy, and with no big wars or station-destroying gently caress-off invasions going on. I want the dynamic economy without the entire universe's political situation ready to crumble if the RNG decides to get lovely.

Anything obvious thoughts or ideas that would sway me one way or another when choosing which game to reinstall?

The war in AP is on from the get-go, but it's confined to a few sectors in the far east of the map and it never spreads. Don't explore those sectors (or blacklist those sectors so your idiot traders don't blunder into the crossfire) and you'll be fine. If you're staying in western Argon space, no worries whatsoever.

I think the Argon Peacekeeper starts in the war zone, so if you want to dodge that, pick another start.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Hexenritter posted:

Quickest way is the repair laser. It'll fix up a nearly-destroyed M5 in moments.

Not in Rebirth, it won't!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

I'm looking to give Albion Prelude a long overdue spin, maybe with XRM this time around. The spaghetti connections always made me twitch; has there been any improvements mod-wise regarding that? What do the cool kids use these days for complexes?

Complex Cleaner smushes a load of factories into a handful of boxes, puts those boxes into a bigger box and makes the spaghetti connectors invisible when you put them in. It also does wonders for the framerate in your big manufacturing hubs.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Rhjamiz posted:

I guarantee you that one has the Remote Control System (30mil) and probably a few other absurd things. Even still, 80mil is insane. What the hell is pushing the price up that high?

Please cheat millions of credits in and find out.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Boogalo posted:

Check my post history for the link. On mobile right now and I'm lazy.

For people who are even lazier, here you go.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

kingturnip posted:

Realistically, you need more than 10m credits before you can start making any actual money. This basically means enough cash for a Solar Power Plant and transports to bring in supplies.
If you're going for self-sufficiency and want to build your own Crystal Fabs, Mining Complexes and Cahoona Bakeries, expand that 10m to something more like 25m. (There was a natty spreadsheet I found years ago that calculated how many of each you needed, but I can't find it now.)

Just start off exploring, take some combat missions and see what happens. Follow some of the plots for extra ships you can sell.

Solar power plants are a godawful way to make money, because the AI ones don't need crystals (so the economy doesn't grind to a complete halt) but yours do. If you want to be a space industrialist, weapons and shields are the way to go.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Steam's got a free weekend going for the X series, if anyone was on the fence about buying.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm doing my umpteenth playthrough of X3. I'm using albion prelude as the version I want to play for obvious reasons.

So far for mods I have: MARS, FDN, Hephcorp and marine repairs and training. What I'm asking is does anyone have suggestions for mods that don't completely change the game, but just add improvements? I'm pretty sure MARS is the only mod I've really used since X3 came out... well and MARS.

Complex Cleaner (smushes all your stations in a system into a single box, might not matter if you've got FDN and don't need a giant laggy maze of tubes to hook it all together) and Bounce (stops AI ships crashing into things) are pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

NeoSeeker posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One final thing. I like to start as a terran pilot and my last playthrough I noticed a bunch of economy problems starting to happen as the playthrough became more mature. I don't remember exactly what it was, I managed to nudge my way in to all my favorite races' good side for trading and other benefits. Something happened to the econmy though and I think it was the problem mentioned above that the economy collapses if you don't do something. And as a Terran it takes a while to make yourself friendly enough with other factions. Any tips to starting as a Terran coming from you guys? Honestly I'm kind of having a hard time diving back in because I have no idea where to start. But my end goal is always total domination.

What I did as an Argon befriending the Terrans (hopefully it works as well the other way round!) is build a complex selling stuff every race uses (shields are good for this, but if all else fails you could do energy cells or ore or something) in a border system outside the war zone. Even if you can't dock at their stations, NPC merchants can dock at yours, and every time they trade at one of your stations you'll get a small reputation boost with their race. Once you've got the complexes up and running, go do something else until your rep's high enough that you can take missions from them.

Oh, one more mod that's basically vital for AP. The Blacklist Manager lets you force your traders to stay out of places they'll get shot.

• Locked thread