Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

E. Double post grrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
But you are actually stupid. That's not random at all, since you made it abundantly clear spouting a bunch of random bullshit to make a pointless burn. You give more of a poo poo about being as rear end in a top hat than assessing statements correctly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol "hey use your equip to dig this up for me" truly the hardest of work and they deserved it way more than the people that showed up later that day to make the same request.

Asterisk, asterisk!!

Sure, and the Cleveland guy didn't "deserve" it because he used the internet. :rolleyes:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Urban Smurf posted:

But you are actually stupid. That's not random at all, since you made it abundantly clear spouting a bunch of random bullshit to make a pointless burn. You give more of a poo poo about being as rear end in a top hat than assessing statements correctly.

'YOU'RE the stupid JERK who can't asses my statements correctly' is a very nuanced take, my man, well done.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

urban smurf, we've always been laughing at you and not with you in this thread all along, hth

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Crusty Nutsack posted:

urban smurf, we've always been laughing at you and not with you in this thread all along, hth

I dont care. Tell us more about your laughter and self importance if that's more interesting to you than discussion based on OP topic material.

Lots of ideas are out there. You might learn to discuss them or add your own to the mix. Your idea of a joke might even be worthwhile or lead us to some success. How are your backhoe skillz?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

How many casques you got sitting on that mantle at home, Urban Smurf?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

How do you know I have a mantel?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Urban Smurf posted:

How do you know I have a mantel?

Urban Smurf I like you a lot and would love to have gay sex with you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
How come the thread turns lovely after someone actually finds one? Let’s be nice to each other, huh?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Urban Smurf is the only good part of this thread which means that, yeah, I like his postings more than anybody else’s and I can see how that might spark some jealousy among the pretenders to the throne here.

:justpost:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

wa27 posted:

Sure, and the Cleveland guy didn't "deserve" it because he used the internet. :rolleyes:

Very clearly the same thing, great comparison. :rolleyes:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I also have been tangentially following this thread and entirely because of Urban Smurf's posts

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Very clearly the same thing, great comparison. :rolleyes:

You're crying about who "deserves" a box in the ground from a decades old puzzle book. As they said in Unforgiven "deserve's got nothing to do with it".

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Found this thread because my wife and I have loved watching Expedition Unknown for years and it seems like things here are going great.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hazo posted:

Found this thread because my wife and I have loved watching Expedition Unknown for years and it seems like things here are going great.

the crazy will someday take you too, get out while you still can

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
what's the overlap of people obsessed with this puzzle and the qanon numerologists

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

see this is why I've never told anyone about the one I found

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Would it be better to dig up a treasure, leaving a note in the hole along the lines of "too slow, Joe" and making no announcement or would it be better to post pictures of your treasure on the various homes for the quest, but then with zero follow up, no explanation for solution, etc?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

None of this would’ve happened if you guys encrypted all your posts.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

treasure bear posted:

see this is why I've never told anyone about the one I found

Sorry about your wrists.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol you morons are unbelievably Not Mad that someone beat you

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hustlin Floh posted:

I haven't seen a single take like that, sweet threadshitting though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

I haven't seen a single take like that, sweet threadshitting though.

(very not mad)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm glad the excavator broke one of the trophies, that's what you losers get for being so slow.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hustlin Floh posted:

A poster in this thread found one earlier in the year. I’d say that’s pretty good.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

AARP LARPer posted:

(very not mad)

(lol if you think I'd spend a single second puzzling this poo poo out)

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

BigFactory posted:

A poster in this thread found one earlier in the year. I’d say that’s pretty good.

I'm curious about this claim. A box has been found but location, theory and finder are privileged information?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Urban Smurf posted:

I'm curious about this claim. A box has been found but location, theory and finder are privileged information?

I’m convinced that burnstyle found the New Orleans casque, or what’s left of it. IIt’s a good story at least.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Burnstyle's find is something to consider. Really everything about his approach made good sense. It wasn't unlike Boston's rough around the edges debriefing.

I think theres still a bit more to the NOLA story and I'm 100% confident that burnstyle will be at the center of it.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

DandyLion posted:

Hey bud yes sorry shits been crazy hectic with travel. I'll shoot you an email.

Dude are you there? Sent you mails on the latest plan weeks ago. If life is still problemy- let us know.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FelchTragedy posted:

Dude are you there? Sent you mails on the latest plan weeks ago. If life is still problemy- let us know.

Hey man yeah I've been out of town the last few weeks at various jobsites for start-ups. End of year gets really hectic for me as customers are trying to use up their end of year money.

I can try and make it back out this coming weekend or next, weather permitting.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

DandyLion posted:

Hey man yeah I've been out of town the last few weeks at various jobsites for start-ups. End of year gets really hectic for me as customers are trying to use up their end of year money.

The last update was weeks ago I haven't added anything to it so you should be good.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Some fun stuff in the Tribute hunt thread over the last few days:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/

- Someone becomes obsessed that it's buried in their hometown: The glamorous and storied-immigration-history town of Dayton, Ohio.

- People generally ignore them until they start posting way too much, like a search for "viva" that reveals there's an oak tree in the game "viva pinata" so it's definitely by an oak tree in Dayton, Ohio

- Annoyed, people begin to respectfully reach out and ask, "why are your weird, loose Dayton Ohio links better than these 5-10 strong image matches for Louisville?"

- Dayton flips out, claims to call the Kentucky police or w/e to shut down all digging in the Louisville park where a majority of people think it is, posts a go fund me for $1 million to stop the "destruction" of this park, and posts the phone number of the Louisville governor on their own FB page, asking their FB friends to flood his voicemail with protest calls.

- Last I check, Dayton's posts all have no likes and no comments.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Some fun stuff in the Tribute hunt thread over the last few days:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1182128925289925/

- Someone becomes obsessed that it's buried in their hometown: The glamorous and storied-immigration-history town of Dayton, Ohio.

- People generally ignore them until they start posting way too much, like a search for "viva" that reveals there's an oak tree in the game "viva pinata" so it's definitely by an oak tree in Dayton, Ohio

- Annoyed, people begin to respectfully reach out and ask, "why are your weird, loose Dayton Ohio links better than these 5-10 strong image matches for Louisville?"

- Dayton flips out, claims to call the Kentucky police or w/e to shut down all digging in the Louisville park where a majority of people think it is, posts a go fund me for $1 million to stop the "destruction" of this park, and posts the phone number of the Louisville governor on their own FB page, asking their FB friends to flood his voicemail with protest calls.

- Last I check, Dayton's posts all have no likes and no comments.

I’m not in any treasure hunting loops except this thread, but what’s the deal with the tribute puzzle? It seemed like people had it nailed down and then nothing’s happened. Is there a twist nobody can figure out?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah a final dig spot. I did find a number 7 next to a weird window on a softball field for a team called the Valkyries, but it's a private Catholic school so :shrug:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AARP LARPer posted:

Urban Smurf is the only good part of this thread which means that, yeah, I like his postings more than anybody else’s and I can see how that might spark some jealousy among the pretenders to the throne here.

:justpost:

:yeah:

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.

DandyLion posted:

Any joy with that? I emailed you if you could get back to me about it if you did go.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Some more fruitless digging in Milwaukee https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...az3Gczh-DBag8cA

quote:

Jessica Liljegren admits that her request sounded kooky.

The Cedarburg woman contacted the Journal Sentinel to ask if she could dig for hidden treasure in our parking lot.

OK, so maybe borderline kooky. Especially when Jessica said a box containing a "casque" containing a key was buried there in 1981 and that she had solved the clues from a book titled "The Secret: A Treasure Hunt."

The book, written by a New York publisher named Byron Preiss, came out in 1982 and challenged readers to find treasure boxes that Preiss hid in 12 unspecified American cities. Clues to the puzzles were contained in fantasy paintings and cryptic poetic verses.

Each key could be redeemed for a precious gem valued at about $1,000. Jessica believes Milwaukee's jewel is an amethyst.

So far, only three of the keys have been found — in Chicago in 1983, in Cleveland in 2004 and in Boston two months ago. We can't ask Preiss where the others are buried because he died in a car accident in 2005.

Interest in the book, which had gone out of print, was renewed after the Discovery Channel did a show about it last year hosted by Josh Gates. Treasure hunters got the feeling that Milwaukee was one of the cities, and some have been digging at Lake Park and Pere Marquette Park.

But Jessica believes they were looking in the wrong places. You have to understand that her interest in this book began when she, as a child, checked it out repeatedly from the library.

Now 45 and working as a real estate agent, she got quite serious a year ago about finding the treasure. She thinks her time studying at Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design helped her understand the visual symbolism of the book's artwork that seemed to point to Milwaukee.

It shows a woman posed in front of a building that looks like City Hall. A mill-wheel, walking stick and a key in the image add up to Mil-wau-kee. Other clues in the painting also proved helpful.

One particular verse in the book provided more hints. It begins with "three stories of Mitchell," which she believes starts the hunt at the historic building with that name on East Michigan Street. Another phrase about "beating of the world" made her think of the thing Milwaukee did best and led her north toward the Schlitz and Pabst breweries.

Other clues brought her west over the Milwaukee River on the Highland Avenue pedestrian bridge toward Turner Hall and the Journal Sentinel parking lot just to its south. Perhaps the strongest clue is that two red balls in the painting match the roof air vents atop Turner Hall in aerial Google maps.

The lot, on the northeast corner of State Street and Phillips Avenue, formerly 4th Street, was part of the recent sale of the Journal Sentinel buildings. I put Jessica in touch with the new owners who said, somewhat surprisingly, sure, dig away.

So on Thursday, Jessica and her husband, Wade, a carpenter, showed up with metal rods and shovels to explore and dig in a raised planter in the lot's northwest corner. It's about 8 feet wide, 16 feet long and 2 feet deep, with a tree and a light pole rising from the dirt and mulch.

"I think we're going to find it," Jessica said. "Then we will blow it up on social media and see what happens, I guess. And we're going to donate the casque and key and the gem to the City of Milwaukee and maybe they can have it on display somewhere with the book."

Over and over, she and Wade pushed the rods into the ground, hoping to hit something solid. Wade attached a rod to a drill to make it easier, starting from the edges of the planter and working toward the center.

"What else are we going to do on a Thursday morning?" Wade laughed.

A few times, the probing would lead to a promising thud sound and they would dig at that spot.

But they mostly found tree roots and one pop-top from a can that likely dated to the 1970s before we got rid of these sharp nuisances.

People passing by paid almost no attention to the treasure digging. "Oil?" one guy said.

After an hour of poking and digging, Jessica began to lose hope.

"I'm a terrible optimist," she said. "I'll feel really foolish if it's not here and that was a whole year of my life."

Eventually, they gave up. Jessica was left to wonder if she had wrongly interpreted the clues. There's a second planter in the same parking lot, but she felt pretty sure it wasn't worth searching there.

The mystery, now 38 years old, would go on even longer. The Discovery Channel can hold off on visiting Milwaukee.

"I will keep trying even though this one didn't pan out," Jessica said. "Back to the drawing board for us."

It's quite funny going back in the Milwaukee facebook group to her posts about parts of the clue and her ignoring the people who tell her that things she's using didn't exist in the 80s.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
No you idiot, Byron Preiss was a genius who obviously prophesied that aerial satellite imagery would become a common resource in the cyber future dystopia of 2019 that he, in his genius, had foretold.
I love him, I want to kiss him.