Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Adnachiel posted:

There's a 41 and a 74 in the water according this page. The 41 looks off to me though.

The gray slab building reminds me more of the UN building than the WTC.

"The arm that extends over the slender path" could refer to the part that covers the FDR Drive.

The whirring sound in summer could refer to either tourist cameras or helicopters.

"Cars abound" - the Queens-Midtown tunnel is right there.

I get lost from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I think the only thing that makes #9 point towards Montreal is that "Dog & Horse" thing is identical to a statue in Montreal.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

The Monkey Man posted:

Here's some analysis from someone arguing that 9 is St. Louis:

If there's any of these that we're completely in the dark about, it's this one.

Yes, that 68 I saw could easily be a 39. Seems like a reasonable analysis not knowing anything about either. But on the surface my inclination would be Saint Louis based on the fact that Montreal is outside United States and all of the others seem to be located in the US.

Edit

This is the courthouse.

And another

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 1, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Here's a picture of the "jewel box" in St. Louis:

EDIT: If you squint, that musical note in the flower could be a 90, which is St. Louis' longitude. Or maybe it's 67, 61, or an upside down 19.

2nd EDIT: The guy's nose might be the arch upside down.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 1, 2013

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

ChesterJT posted:

I think the only thing that makes #9 point towards Montreal is that "Dog & Horse" thing is identical to a statue in Montreal.

The editor of the book is also from Montreal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Kelly_%28writer%29

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
The dog and horse thing is just so identical, I can't see it being anything but Montreal personally, the top right of his head it bugging me, it's something, but I can't come up with what.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Cask 3/North Carolina

Is there any way to get a better scan of this image? It's very dark and there are features that I can't make out. Up at the top of the window, it looks like there might be two slitted eyes, like a gargoyle or dragon or something? Don't know if it's relevant, because I can't see if it's actually there or not.

In addition to that, in the lower right, there are one or two objects. One looks like it might be a spoon? Is there something in the bowl of the spoon? What's the thing to the lower right of the spoon?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
If you got to http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage you can download their "high scans" from what looks like 2004 from the BunnyEars website link.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Verse 6
Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds Reference to a publisher or legal bar association...?
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration Capitalized, someone's name...?
White house close at hand.

I'm wondering if the tennis court is the right area. The 'where law defended', 'bar that binds' and 'long palm's shadow' (the long arm of the law?) strike me as referring to courthouse/legal things. 'White House' could refer to the old 'The White House' in SF.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

quote:

Verse 10
In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path
In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound
Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native
The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.
Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

Some things stand out to me on this image that I can't really see anything for. Maybe you guys will.

- The fingers on the right hand are odd. Why can we only see four and why are they in that shape?
- With regards to the upper frames, why is only the second one from the left split in two?
- The birds feet come together in a strange shape.
- There's something written on the clock face under the arms that I can't make out.
- What's up with that weird rear end shadow under her nose that goes straight past her chin? It's certainly not natural.
- That little bump in the white looks weird.
- Why is the shape of the two bird's wings so different?
- Why does the dotted pane all the way to the left have more color variation?
- Why are two squares the same color when the rest aren't even close?
- There's something really strange here, I just can't tell what.

In regards to one of the stranger lines in the riddle, a Vol is actually a symbol. It is mainly french.

A vol is a once-obscure heraldic symbol consisting of a pair of outstretched, usually plumed bird's wings, which are connected together at their shoulders without having any bird's body in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vol

I'm having a crazy difficult time finding an image of one.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Kingnothing posted:

But the face of the image is really close to the Statue of Liberty's face, especially the point in the hair and the flowly robes.

The statue of liberty's face is looking straight out, yet in this picture the woman is looking a tad down and to the right. I wonder if this is also a clue that she is looking towards the direction we need to be looking.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Bankok posted:

If you got to http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage you can download their "high scans" from what looks like 2004 from the BunnyEars website link.

Thanks, I had tried to download one of the other linked zip files, and the link was non-functional.

The image is better, but I still can't see if that's actually something up at the top of the window, or if it's some kind of printing anomaly. :(

I also still can't tell what that is under the spoon either.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
There also seems to be something just below the middle of the clock in the New York one, but it's either too grainy to make out, or I'm imagining things.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Also, this page is old as hell (last modified 2006), but this person claims she will forward any message to the illustrator.

http://www.sarafelix.com/johnjude.html

If anyone is interested in giving this a shot.

Bankok posted:

There also seems to be something just below the middle of the clock in the New York one, but it's either too grainy to make out, or I'm imagining things.

No, something is definitely there, that's what I was pointing out. It's too low res to see. We need an actual copy of the book I think.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I wonder who has the original artwork, love to see some high def scans of them.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bankok posted:

I wonder who has the original artwork, love to see some high def scans of them.

There appear to be a few copies of the original book at least on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Secret-Sean-Kelly-John-Pierard-and-Byron-Preiss-1982-Paperback-Illustrated-/4911258

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Amazon has a few too, was pondering ordering one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0553014080/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Actually I did order one, so we'll see.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Verse 11
Pass two friends of octave
In December
Ride the man of oz
To the land near the window
There's a road that leads to
Dark forest
Where white is in color
With two maps
After circle and square

I don't know for sure what much of this means, but going by what what others have posted in this thread and what I know/gathered, I think these clues basically leads up to the Elizabethan gardens, specifically the sunken gardens.

In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood
Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing

Again, a lot of stuff I am no sure of. But as I recall, there are a couple of paths leading out of the sunken gardens and to the beach.

Look north at the wing
And dig
To achieve
By dauntless and inconquerable
Determination
Your goal.

This last bit seemed that it had something to do with the wright brothers, since it was talking about looking at a wing. I googled it up and it turns out that several of the words here are actually on the wright brothers monument - "In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright conceived by genius achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith."

Added to that, the monument itself looks just like a wing...

and it is made of granite, which apparently has a lot of mica in it (? someone able to tell me how wrong I am here?) which could start to explain the "A path beckons, To mica and driftwood" lines.

I dont remember, but can you stand at or near the beach at the Elizabethan gardens and actually see the wright brothers monument? I think maybe the puzzle leads you to the Elizabethan gardens just to show you where you need to go to actually dig. "look north at the wing" may not mean look to the north where the wing is but instead it could mean go stand at the wing (the monument which happens to be made out of mica) and look north for the place to dig. Was the original wright brothers flight in a generally northern direction? looking at the field and maps it looks like it may have been, but cant find anything saying so, just that the wind was from the north. would they take off facing the wing or with it at their backs? if they took of facing the wind, maybe the marker stone where the flight ended (the "goal"?) is the place to dig.

A couple of other probably far fetched things to support this possibility; If you look at the illustration, the armor kind of looks like a plane, with the arms out like wings, and being supported by beams that look somewhat like the wings of the replica plane in the wright museum. And if I recall correctly, wasn't the field they flew from originally used to graze cattle on? If so, that could explain the helmets face plate looking so bovine like.

ETA: according to this, the flights were to the north. I wanna go dig up all around the first landing spot now.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 1, 2013

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

The gray slab building reminds me more of the UN building than the WTC.

"The arm that extends over the slender path" could refer to the part that covers the FDR Drive.

The whirring sound in summer could refer to either tourist cameras or helicopters.

"Cars abound" - the Queens-Midtown tunnel is right there.

I get lost from there.

if you're going with helicopters for the whirring sound, there's a heliport just down FDR.

Kingnothing posted:

- Why does the dotted pane all the way to the left have more color variation?

now that you mention the colors, those panes sort of look like a colorblindness vision test.

ruebennase fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 1, 2013

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In the Boston image, the lades hair on the right (her left) above the flower looks like a map of a shoreline. It's definitely intentional that her hair is making a shape on that side...

Why do they think that image has anything to do with Boston in the first place though? What is the bird? The bubbles?

Barfoid 3 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 1, 2013

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
^^ Interesting interpretation of the wing bit. I think you can look toward the Wright Bros. Memorial from that trail...

Premeditated Toast posted:

I grew up on the Outer Banks, and I think they may in fact be referring to it STARTING at Roanoke Island:

"Verse 11
Pass two friends of octave (The towns of Manteo and Wanchese on the island)
In December
Ride the man of oz (Go over the Washington Baum Bridge)
To the land near the window
Dark forest (Oceanside Drive to Nagshead Woods, our local "haunted forest" park. Oh and look, the armor in the picture is sporting the helmet of an old horse's head!)"

The rest would then seem to indicate specific directions inside the park perhaps (which has indeed changed a lot since the 80's). I don't live there anymore but my sister does, maybe I can get her to scope it out. It could be the Elizabethen Gardens, but the "Ride the Man of Oz" line makes me think otherwise.

Oho, your interpretation makes sense. Nags Head woods had actually crossed my mind when I first read the verse (the "dark forest" and "trail to mica and driftwood" parts), but I jumped back to thinking Roanoke when I found the island's silhouette in the painting.

It'd be great if your sister could do some on-the-scene investigation. I haven't visited the Outer Banks in years, and now that I live on the opposite side of the country, I probably won't be going back anytime soon, alas. I can only speculate based on my memory of the place.

Rehashing what people have proposed thus far and adding some thoughts of my own:

Verse 11 posted:

Pass two friends of octave Drive past Kill Devil Hills/the Wright Bros. memorial
In December on Highway 12
Ride the man of oz cross the Washington Baum bridge
To the land near the window ?
Dark forest Possibly refers to Fort Raleigh Rd, which cuts through coastal forest
Where white is in color Possibly refers to colonist and artist John White
With two maps Unknown, but may again refer to White's map making
After circle and square May refer to sunken garden area of Elizabethan Gardens
In July and August Unknown, but see my ridiculous speculation below*
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood There is a path (#15 on map) that goes from the gardens to the Roanoke Sound
Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing There is a gate at the end of the path
Look north at the wing North of the gate? Toward the Wright Bros. Memorial?
And dig
To achieve
By dauntless and inconquerable
Determination

Your goal.

* So apparently the path from the sunken garden to the sound is called the "Water Gate Walk". Guess when the Watergate scandal heated up for Nixon? That's right, July and August. :unsmigghh:

I'm going to go ahead and propose that :siren: Cask 3 is buried somewhere below the gate in the Elizabethan Gardens :siren: here:

You're welcome, now send me some of that sweet sweet money and/or a shard from the cask that I can frame.

Strongylocentrotus fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 1, 2013

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't

allta posted:

I'm to tied to see anything, but here is the inverted image which should make it easier for anyone willing to try:

I'd imagine its in the waves somewhere and it should give the coordinates to NewYork but possibly not!

Anyone else see the face in the darkest part of the front of her gown, here?

[edit]Also, is it possible the grid at the top is a map of landmarks? The statue's face falls very neatly into one of those squares. A brief search for onion domes in NYC turns up the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord:

Google Maps streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/227GI [/edit]

bagshotrow fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 1, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
I've read the thread thoroughly, but which picture is supposed to be associated with the Salt Lake City location that is on the OP map? I don't see that anything talked about thus far includes Utah.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
^^^Yeah, there's definitely a face there.

There's definitely another number in the hair on the right side for #9. A nine just below the ear and another number that I can't quite make out.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Verse 5 also refers to a sovereign people where Quebec had just recently had a vote on sovereignty.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Rehashing what people have proposed thus far and adding some thoughts of my own:

To add to this, from lemontiger.co.uk:

quote:

In July and August

These words appear on the Fort Raleigh historical marker:

“On this site, in July – August, 1585 (O.S.), colonists, sent out from England by Sir Walter Raleigh,
built a fort, called by them “The New Fort in Virginia"

I posted this earlier, but my hunch is that the "Under that/Which may be last touched" line refers to the "Croatoan" tree that John White found when he returned to the colony.

Does anyone know if that tree is still there? Or maybe a monument/information board at the site of the tree? If you can see the Wright Brothers monument from that spot, I'd reckon it's a pretty strong contender for the location.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

bagshotrow posted:

Anyone else see the face in the darkest part of the front of her gown, here?

There is definitely a face there. It's either a man, or a lion???

Good eye.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/c7e4b/ More NYC onion domes, probably closer to what's in the image. Also much closer to the other landmarks being considered. Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/38Ltc

[edit] http://goo.gl/maps/Qblde actually, it's a straight shot down Lexington from the Chrysler building. If the grid is a map of landmarks, and I'm right about these two, you should be able to follow 55th street straight down to the water and find something corresponding to that gray rectangle. This is the approximate area: http://goo.gl/maps/8AG0X [/edit]

bagshotrow fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 1, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

lfield posted:

I posted this earlier, but my hunch is that the "Under that/Which may be last touched" line refers to the "Croatoan" tree that John White found when he returned to the colony.

Does anyone know if that tree is still there? Or maybe a monument/information board at the site of the tree? If you can see the Wright Brothers monument from that spot, I'd reckon it's a pretty strong contender for the location.
That was over 400 years ago. how long do trees live?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Sham I Am posted:

They can live a long time, depending on species of the tree and environmental conditions. But to the best of my knowledge the Croatan carving/tree are long lost to history and biological decay, and no one knows exactly where it was originally located.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I'm going to go ahead and propose that :siren: Cask 3 is buried somewhere below the gate in the Elizabethan Gardens :siren: here:

You're welcome, now send me some of that sweet sweet money and/or a shard from the cask that I can frame.

I know exactly which gate you're talking about, :ssh:It's the gate us darned local kids would use to sneak into the place at night:ssh: You can most definitely see the Wright Brothers Memorial from there, it's straight across the Roanoke Sound. I think I'm gonna have to call my sister and see if she can let me crash at her place later in the week. I just gotta explain all of this treasure business to her..

lfield posted:

Does anyone know if that tree is still there? Or maybe a monument/information board at the site of the tree?

Nobody knows where the original tree is, or specifically where the colony was located for that matter, just that it was on the north end of the island somewhere (where Fort Raleigh/Elizabethan Gardens is now). It wasn't until the 30's that people started to really look into the Lost Colony mystery and the tree could have been carelessly used for lumber for all we know.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Sham I Am posted:

Possible for them to live for a couple thousand years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_trees

California Red Woods are mostly a couple hundred years old I think.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
Did some more googling.
Deteriorata might be on to something with the NY treasure hunt starting out at the UN and the whirring noise referring to helicopters.

• The NYU Medical Center is right at that heliport on FDR.
  • In the 80s the president of NYU was John Brademas. And while he's neither indian or from the Caribbean, he was from Indiana. Maybe there's some sort of dedication plaque or something on the campus.
  • Going east from there would put you somewhere in the East River, but if you instead walk along East 34th Street, which is right there, you end up at an Armenian church, which is called St Vartan's. And right next to that is a park, also called St Vartan's. No idea if St Vartan qualifies as "rhapsodic" but hey. I'm also having difficulties verifying if anything visible to the North from that park would qualify as "Isle of B", most of the buildings around there seem to be fairly recent.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Premeditated Toast posted:

I know exactly which gate you're talking about, :ssh:It's the gate us darned local kids would use to sneak into the place at night:ssh: You can most definitely see the Wright Brothers Memorial from there, it's straight across the Roanoke Sound. I think I'm gonna have to call my sister and see if she can let me crash at her place later in the week. I just gotta explain all of this treasure business to her..

Please do! I'd be there shovel in hand if I could. I'm actually going to be in the mid-Atlantic region this week, but I doubt I'll have the means/time to drive down to the Outer Banks. It'd be awesome if you could check it out soon.

My one big fear is that between all the hurricanes and shoreline migration that occur on sandy barrier islands, the cask may have been washed away by now. Hope he buried it deep.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

ruebennase posted:

Deteriorata might be on to something with the NY treasure hunt starting out at the UN and the whirring noise referring to helicopters.

The UN also aligns pretty exactly with the Chrysler building on 42nd street.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree? Another friend thought she remembered there being a Christmas tree in the Japanese gardens area, but I can't find anything online about it.

Also I reversed the colors to see if anything else could be revealed here.

1. A strange shape in the leaves up here, not sure if they signify anything.
2. The djinn's wrappings look more like a face here wearing an old floppy hat. A really creepy face and not the best thing to discover while lying in bed in the dark.
3. The shadow of this dune looks like a seated lion
4. I noticed there was something written at the base of this pillar before, but couldn't make it out. It looks like 53 to me, but not sure what that signifies. There are also different numbers of rings above the bases of each pillar. 1 on the closest, 2 on the rhino's, and none on the camel's. The closest pillar also has the number one inscribed on it, the rhino pillar has two leaves in front of it, and I still think it's important that the camel pillar doesn't cast a shadow.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Awesome job on the San Francisco one guys. I was originally thinking verse 2 and St. Mary's square.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
For the New York one, it could be talking about Gershwin when it says Rhapsodic Man. That would definitely fit in with New York. There is also a Columbus Park in Brooklyn where Gershwin was born.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Sorry it's so sloppy, I'm using the touchpad of a laptop (and it's 3am).

EDIT: This may also be hopelessly grasping, but the shape of the red "skirt" on the suit of armor has been bugging me. It's very weird looking, so it has to mean something. The only things I've been able to think of that it kind of resembles are either a pinecone or the boughs of a pine tree...and from that one picture of the gate leading to the beach, there's a pine tree right next to the gate.
http://i.imgur.com/WTIGfz2.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

I'm not familiar with that place, but did the park have that same pathing shape 30 years ago?