Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Back to the podcast.

After doing podcasts for awhile, interviewing and just chatting with people involved in creating the book, production teams, ECT... The podcast team was amassing a fairly large amount of inside information.

Some if it might be helpful... But we had no idea which peices of information were true.

For instance, before Boston was confirmed I asked jjp if Boston being found in a ballfield was a plausible story. Jjp answered "I don't think there is a casques in Boston"
It's never a good idea to ask any of the people who worked on the book direct questions. They always lie.
Eventually we developed trust with everyone and began working on compiling all this inside info, and verifying it, so we could attribute it to people and release it. This included fairly decent images of the original paintings.
This was all going to be released this Saturday at a Meetup in new Orleans.

Somehow JM got his hands on some of the images of the paintings and released them.

There was a mixed reaction. Some people were grateful, others disappointed.

A day or so later JM released another statement saying everything had been stolen from him and no one cares so he is cancelling the tribute hunt and taking that casque. He said it was already dug up.

And that was it. He took his toys and went home.

I tried to make this as brief as I could, and leave out any drama or whatever that wasn't necessary for the story.
If you want me to clarify or elaborate on something let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Tldr; JM doesn't want to play with anyone anymore because no one cares about the drama he made up in his head.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Nah that’s great and insightful, thanks man. :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He sounds normal.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
He's a very stable genius.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

burnstyle posted:

Somehow JM got his hands on some of the images of the paintings and released them.

Thanks for the info! It turns out HE was the rear end in a top hat all along! Can this be shared here? Or is that a no-no? Curious to see what the fuss is about.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
That is interesting about JJP lying about Boston when asked. In his reveal he didn't lie iirc. But his complicity with the awarding is not in the spirit of the correctness of decent solve in my view. He has a contract and the awarding of gems isn't his business though so I see why he has to be broad. I still have to watch all the meet videos. With the Corona lockdown I can get back to work. The tribute has distracted me for too long although was fun.

Out of interest who pointed out the latitude and longitude stuff? Also who pointed out birthgems map to clock times? Guessing the latter was agreed on long ago. These people lost to the mists of time?

Also I have actually tried to work out how TOS Star Treck maps to images 1 and 6. If you want a fresh puzzle working out what some guy is going to write a 400 page book on this subject, then to take a fun break- you can. Want clues on this folks?.... Then get injected with too much Cordrazine and jump through the rabbit hole on the city on the edge of forever.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 14, 2020

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Robert Fox found the lat long on q4t years ago.

Moths and birthstones have just always been accepted.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

DeNofa posted:

Thanks for the info! It turns out HE was the rear end in a top hat all along! Can this be shared here? Or is that a no-no? Curious to see what the fuss is about.

I promised the palencar family that I would not share them. But they are out there now and I can't stop anyone else from sharing them, nor do I think people should look down on those who share them.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
PSA. DrunkNerds sold out and writes for SA now.

https://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/death-surprisingly-hilarious/

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/crazy-treasure-hunt/

burnstyle fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 27, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t see anything about urban smurf in that article wtf

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xie posted:

football is coming home lads

All the Letters are here to see ;)

Eighteenth Day, Twelfth Hour [thats the Longfellow]

Lit by Lamplight

In truth be free

Dear Treasure Hunt thread, I'm still two years behind on this thread and not letting myself skip ahead because I would hate to miss a moment of it, so I'm basically writing to you from the past.

(I'm still at the point where every tenth post is Vincent Van Goatse calling us idiots because nobody will ever find anything and people on Q4T are exhibiting obvious mental illnesses), but I'm laughing my rear end off at how completely wrong Xie was now that it was actually found. Same for the PBworks analysis of the image, it's all vague references to Boston mixed with some ridiculous poo poo about a utility box that doesn't exist.

Kind of hoping that once I catch up (only 20 pages to go), someone does a line-by-line of the Boston verse and the solve because most of it seems to have nothing to do with the actual location. I get the five steps/blocks north of Thucydides' direction and ending up "In the middle section" of the green between the two halves of Commonwealth Ave, but the tower of lights? the Coliseum? If those are just vague baseball references and supposed to lead us to a couple of baseball fields two miles from Fenway and in the opposite direction relative to the library, then we might as well throw darts at maps of cities and dig where they hit.

Back to the stairs, home=home plate, the Paul revere stuff, sure that makes sense, but what do "all the letters" have to do with anything? This is as good a confirmation as any that Preiss was every bit as terrible at writing riddles as everyone suspected he was.

Unrelated to the actual treasure hunt, I'm pretty pissed that I missed the opportunity to sell my $4 copies of the original print run when they were going for hundreds of dollars. Related to the treasure hunt, does anyone know how much trouble you'll get in for digging in John Paul Jones Park?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

Unrelated to the actual treasure hunt, I'm pretty pissed that I missed the opportunity to sell my $4 copies of the original print run when they were going for hundreds of dollars.

It looks like they still go for hundreds, no?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
My original copy is more duct-tape than book at this point.

I’ve continued to be very busy on this treasure hunt, but failed to find anything but dirt, roots, and geocaches. My shovel is duct-taped too. There’s now more useless information and unshared discovery in my duct-taped vault than ever.

It’s surprising how much the landscape has changed in the world and in the many forums where discussion sometimes takes place.

I think more attention towards the Japanese edition is needed. I wonder if we need a better translation of some parts.

I was about to head to a dig in Canada last month, but the border got shut down. If that plan ever resumes, I’ll be sure to bring duct-tape - because I learned once from a very bad snowboarding day that duct-tape helps prevent wrist breakage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the interest of levity-- I recently started skimming through the US Heavy Metal backlog chronologically to see wtf the deal with that weird evolutionary cul de sac was, and it was amusing to turn the page and see both advertisements and full exposes on this book.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:justpost:

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

You can find the pages in the image gallery on 12treasures media page.

https://12treasures.com/media-2/

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Can we work on finding Forrest Fenn's treasure?

Forrest Fenn is an eccentric antique dealer. In March, 2013, he revealed that he hid a brass box containing $1 million - $3 million worth of treasure "Somewhere in the Mountains North of Sante Fe."

He published a book, "The Thrill of the Chase." Fenn claims that the auto-biographical pictures in it subtly hint at its location, but the real meat is in "nine clues" hidden within this poem:

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

Fenn since revealed four more clues:

- The Treasure is buried above $5,000 feet

- The treasure is not buried in a graveyard

- The treasure is not buried in a location associated with a structure.

-The treasure is not buried in Utah or Idaho

He later published a follow up book with a map, narrowing the location down to the highlighted area:

Links ton his books, proceeds from the sale go to cancer research:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrill-Chase-Memoir-Forrest-Fenn/dp/0967091780/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1426443451&sr=8-5&keywords=fenn%27s+treasure
http://www.amazon.com/too-far-walk-Forrest-Fenn/dp/0967091799/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426443483&sr=8-2&keywords=forrest+fenn

Note that while several people claim that the treasure has been found, nobody has submitted any proof.

I've been trying to work on it on other discussion boards, but most people on those boards are tight lipped, except to say "checked my hotspot this weekend, no luck."

I was hoping this thread could be more forthcoming about ideas.

Fenn has said the key is to start at the beginning , "Where warm waters halt." What could that mean?

5 years later this treasure has been found

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/forrest-fenns-treasure-reportedly-found/5753216/?cat=500

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

found a cask, write-up coming soon

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

treasure bear posted:

found a cask, write-up coming soon
:chanpop:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
same

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

So...is there a picture of it? Or a location?

No there is not?

It never existed it seems. Or a friend or relative wanted some tax free income.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Fart

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Hi, I'm am idiot who didn't check for new posts before I posted about the Fenn treasure.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Comstar posted:

So...is there a picture of it? Or a location?

No there is not?

It never existed it seems. Or a friend or relative wanted some tax free income.

There's a photo in that link.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Jubs posted:

There's a photo in that link.

I think he meant post-find

No information or images have been released yet.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Did you guys solve it yet

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Did you guys solve it yet

yeah, write-up in progress

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

treasure bear posted:

yeah, write-up in progress

Noice. :cheerdoge:

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Updates time.

JM has decided the casque is no longer on his mantle. He has restarted the tribute hunt.

JJP will be on an episode of expedition unknown at 9pm est on the 22nd

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

burnstyle posted:

Updates time.

JM has decided the casque is no longer on his mantle. He has restarted the tribute hunt.

lmao

he got sick of not being the center of any drama

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Speaking of JM, last year he did a holiday question-and-answer special, and he's bringing it back:

There will be musical accompaniment by yours truly. Last year we had close to 1,000 livestream viewers, it was fun.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 7, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Nice. Could I get a write up on the solution?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

So this thread has been brought back from the grave... someone must have finally picked up a shovel!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BigBadSteve posted:

So this thread has been brought back from the grave... someone must have finally picked up a shovel!

It is fun noting that the poster itt who had a surefire dig spot but frozen ground/broken wrist kept them from digging was 100% wrong since they found the Boston casque somewhere else.

Their excitement and solution were genuinely fun to see though.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
is this thread the last living remnant of old gbs?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

As someone who quietly followed/skimmed it from the beginning, yes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
John Michaels, the podcast co-founder and creator of the Tribute Hunt, passed away on Saturday.

Burnstyle is setting up a tribute stream for him on Saturday. Check the Tribute Hunt FB for details.

Feels bad man.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That blows. Condolences to his friends here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bummer, that's sad to hear. I hope his spirit rests well having solved the ultimate mystery.
:iiam: :ms: :iia: