Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

EconDad posted:

So... it's safe to say this search is finally over then? Nothing is being found. There's some talk that things were -- but "official" places aren't agreeing, etc.

So... it's over, right? Wrap it up, right?

When every square foot of every park in every U.S. state has been dug up, but all the treasure casks not found, then it's over...

Then it's time to start digging at places other than parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I won't be satisfied til we find them all

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mods please update thread title to "Let's not solve a 40 year old unsolved treasure hunt!"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CommonShore posted:

mods please update thread title to "Let's not solve a 40 year old unsolved treasure hunt!"

We're going to solve it.

.random
May 7, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

We're going to solve it.

Not with that kinda attitude!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

either way update 31 to 40

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CommonShore posted:

:hmmyes:

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

.random posted:

Not with that kinda attitude!

That's right. We're mere decades possibly centuries... possibly infinite amount of time away from solving this thing!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CommonShore posted:

no

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
There were some clearly very unwell people posting itt, I hope they are doing okay

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

putin is a oval office posted:

There were some clearly very unwell people posting itt, I hope they are doing okay

The secrets of the eternal 31 year old treasure hunt weigh heavily on one's sanity

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That’s not really true at all. It was a bunch of people who like puzzles and one guy who had really absurd theories that everyone thought were funny. There are plenty of other places on SA to see unwell people if that’s what you’re looking for.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:mods: pls change 31 to 40 in thread title

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

do not gaze too long into the Let's solve a 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt! thread, lest the Let's solve a 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt! thread gazes into you.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

Hey. Did we solve it?
Yes, if you use an overly inclusive definition of the royal "we."

No, if you think that the illustration on the cover of the book doesn't particularly seem like a feminized version of a statue of Ben Franklin*

* Preiss may have written a fun/silly book that didn't come across as being quite so racist and insensitive in the early 1980s, but he completely misjudged his ability as a puzzle-maker and just outright flopped on the conversion from "this puzzle I made" to "other people can make sense of what I was thinking when I wrote that puzzle."

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe it's 9 years since I got obsessed with this mystery for a while and got myself weirdly acquainted with parts of random US cities. Good Times, more innocent times.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it will always be a 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt in our hearts

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The 40 Year Old Unsolved Treasure Hunt starting Steve Carell as Urban Smurf

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

BigFactory posted:

That’s not really true at all. It was a bunch of people who like puzzles and one guy who had really absurd theories that everyone thought were funny. There are plenty of other places on SA to see unwell people if that’s what you’re looking for.

If you really think this is true, you are perhaps quite unwell yourself.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

BigFactory posted:

There are plenty of other places on SA to see unwell people if that’s what you’re looking for.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

If you really think this is true, you are perhaps quite unwell yourself.

Have you been to the politics fan forums?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Have you been to the politics fan forums?

I mean even GBS mock threads or Games threads where people moan about how much they hate the games they rack up hundreds of hours on. This is just a thread about dorks trying to solve puzzles that look like 2nd Edition D&D art.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lets be real, we're all goons here. we are all unwell. je suis urban smurf

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lets be real, we're all goons here. we are all unwell. je suis urban smurf

Nah it gets a lot weirder than a thread about a 40 year old unsolved treasure hunt!

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

lol wrong thread :tipshat:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I just want some pretty stones and cool casks where's my shovel

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I actually found the spot and dug it up but all that was left was a cut internet cable.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
seriouspost: wasn't there some living relative or associate who might still be bogarting the secrets?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I had a good time playing hooky on a business trip and driving a couple hours south to a park I would have never known about to look for clues in a picture, and don't regret a second of it. It was a nice day too!

ExtraNoise posted:

I think we're now closer than at any other point in this thread to actually finding something.

(check the date)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 2, 2022

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003

Cobalt60 posted:

seriouspost: wasn't there some living relative or associate who might still be bogarting the secrets?

I believe it is the painter that won’t reveal anything

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

BigFactory posted:

I mean even GBS mock threads or Games threads where people moan about how much they hate the games they rack up hundreds of hours on. This is just a thread about dorks trying to solve puzzles that look like 2nd Edition D&D art.

As delightfully weird-brained as some of the posters in this thread have been, I have to agree with you. No one in this thread comes close to the level of making sexual comments about the mouth of a hot dog man's child.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Snowy posted:

I’m not saying it’s over until urban Smurf says it’s over

I don't think it's over. Some day when a solar flare takes out most of humanity, the robot AI version of Urban Smurf will pursue it's 4th directive and dig on.

I was reminiscing the other day about some forum post I shared in March of 2012 when I talked about the Boston puzzle's line "Feel at home" as being indicative of a home plate in baseball. I also put strong emphasis on the Paul Revere reference being associated with that moment when he snuck past the Somerset Man-O-War during the full moon. I never once thought it would be in the ball field next to the spot where that actual event took place. Instead I wrongly looked for a spot next to the Somerset Hotel in Charlesgate Park aka the "2C" area. In the final analysis, it seems like the answers to these puzzles are to be found in simpler notions about places and events.

Maybe we can solve another puzzle soon if we take a step back and look at what might happen if we take a good look at the essence of just one line like we did with "Feel at home" and make a correct/simple/Occam's razor assessment and ignore the wild swings of fantasy that have dominated the minds of searchers for years.

I should add to this post to give people something more to think about. From verse 2, with the turquoise painting, "As the sound of friends" and "Fills the afternoon hours" seem like good candidates for being like the "Feel at home" line. It's situational. What makes where you need to be standing a case for parity? I tend to think the sound of friends means those who would be supporting a person in some way and meeting the audible condition, it would either be the sound of clapping applause, or their spoken words. The filling of afternoon hours or the filling that might take place instead of the sound of friends, is the pouring of spirits (alcohol) that would take place typically with a problem day drinker. I still strongly believe this is a strong anchor to a place where you will see the Alcoholics Anonymous symbol. That is simply a circle with a triangle inscribed. I've found one spot that I like in NOLA where this condition is met. The plaque on the front of the Francisco Morazan statue. Maybe there are other places around town where you would see a triangle inside a circle. Just as I didn't know there was a baseball park in the Northend of Boston, I don't know NOLA any better, so perhaps someone local with better knowledge can piece the whole puzzle together based on this simple but disguised alcoholic notion.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 7, 2022

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Since the creation of this thread, the Boston puzzle has been solved. However the person given credit for the solve didn't figure out a lot of the clues, and was just the one who thought to reach out to the crew doing construction on a baseball field to say "hey if you find this weird cask thing, gimme a call"

Basically what Urban Smurf said in their last paragraph, there

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BigFactory posted:

The art fuckin rules

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I wonder if Erol Otus is still alive.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

I wonder if Erol Otus is still alive.

he is

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I also strongly believe Burnstyle, JM, et al. found the location of the NO cask, it had just been destroyed by hurricanes, salt water, and the installation of, like, a water main right through it.

The image match of the wall nearby and description of the building were beyond the range of normal artistic interpretation, at least to me

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
'Home plate' is the equivalent of 'Brawndo has electrolytes. It's what plants crave.'

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Rondette posted:

I can't believe it's 9 years since I got obsessed with this mystery for a while and got myself weirdly acquainted with parts of random US cities. Good Times, more innocent times.

This feels like me too actually. 2015 or so... for me?

Looking at it now -- it's a mess. Boston solved but some don't... believe? New Orleans probably solved too, but... not believed?

Humans ruin everything.

.random
May 7, 2007

Next dig when ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Can someone summarize the last decade of thread for me please?!