Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know how fast the last "internet group" decifered the clues, but I think it seems to be going pretty well for you guys already :)

Keep it up and we'll be digging up parks all over the US in no time hehe.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

MassaShowtime posted:

I'm pretty sure the Montreal one is somewhere in Fletcher's Field or at the base of Mount Royal if its paired with Verse 2. The image has the Montreal Flower in it, refers to Pie IX station (the square with PX1), and if you count that to the end of the green line (21 stops) you get off basically at Mount Royal. The Mount Stephen club has the same weird statue as on the pope dude as well which is right outside the same station. The three stand watch could refer to the three peaks, and the sound of friends in the afternoon would be the tam tam players that surround the George Etienne Cartier statue. The palace could refer to the Crystal Palace that was in Fletcher's Field. I just can't figure out what the gnomes and fays are about but its been a while since I've been there.

I was really hoping this one would be St. Louis... That's the only city mentioned that I could easily investigate.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Verse #7 may go with San Francisco. It mentions 'Twain's attention' with 'Twain' capitalized (Mark Twain spent time in San Francisco), that may refer to Calaveras County from his story, 'The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County'. The 'giant pole' may refer to Coit Tower.

In the picture for San Francisco, the post that the rose sits on looks like the shape of something--the Coit Tower or a cannon, possibly referring to The Presidio...?

If you're going to bury something in a park in San Fransisco then the Presidio is pretty much the way to go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MassaShowtime posted:

I'm pretty sure the Montreal one is somewhere in Fletcher's Field or at the base of Mount Royal if its paired with Verse 2. The image has the Montreal Flower in it, refers to Pie IX station (the square with PX1), and if you count that to the end of the green line (21 stops) you get off basically at Mount Royal. The Mount Stephen club has the same weird statue as on the pope dude as well which is right outside the same station. The three stand watch could refer to the three peaks, and the sound of friends in the afternoon would be the tam tam players that surround the George Etienne Cartier statue. The palace could refer to the Crystal Palace that was in Fletcher's Field. I just can't figure out what the gnomes and fays are about but its been a while since I've been there.

I don't know anything about Montreal but if it's a matter of French Canadians the gnomes and fays could refer to the Celtic background of Bretons. Is there a heavily Breton area of Montreal in or around those areas?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I hate to say this but how did the author think people were going to find these if he didn't give incredibly specific locations? I mean, even if you knew the park and rough area it still require hours of digging. The mystery is cool though but I doubt anymore are going to get dug up.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 31, 2013

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

allta posted:

Verse 1
Fortress north
Cold as glass
Friendship south
Take your task
To the number
Nine eight two The train
Through the wood
No lion fearszoo reference??
In the sky the water veers The Lake
Small of scale
Step across the bridges?
Perspective should not be lost
In the center of four alike the four small fountains by the monument
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delightThe monument
Falls gently
In December night
Looking back from treasure ground
There's the spout! The fountain
A whistle sounds.The train
I think the Houston one is in this location.
http://goo.gl/maps/FY6bX

I would put my money on the grass area inbetween the monument and the fountain

Ghost of Eazy E fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 31, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

NoneSuch posted:

I hate to say this but how did the author think people were going to find these if he didn't give incredibly specific locations? I mean, even if you knew the park and rough area it still require hours of digging. The mystery is cool though but I doubt anymore are going to get dug up.

Maybe it's an obvious place once you get within a few meters of it, I mean two of them were found.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Charleston

Fort Sumter?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe it's an obvious place once you get within a few meters of it, I mean two of them were found.

I just started geocaching, and even with exact GPS coordinates it can still be extremely hard to locate something.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
Anxiously awaiting someone getting arrested for carrying around a shovel/digging random spots up.

Seriously though this is all sorts of cool, and it a shame the author didn't leave the locations in his will.

SteeVeeDee
Oct 15, 2008

Play that 'lectric cowbell!
For the new york one: The Bird in the illustration, I think, is an eagle ornament from the Chrystler Building, which could be the "gray giant" referred to in the verse. However, the lower left panel also shows something like rectangular monolith, which means the "gray giant" could also be one of the old World Trade Towers (previously the grayest and squarest of all buildings in New York).

Edit: The Island of B could be Staten Island.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Pretty sure this kind of thing is pretty much how Cthulu was awoken.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

As for Cask 7, could Preservation in the picture mean Preservation Hall in New Orleans? Located at 726 St Peter St. I'm a bit stumped because verse 7 seems to go better with it than verse 2.

Huh, so typing in that address gets me this latitude and longitude: 29.958199,-90.065488 All numbers that match :tinfoil:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 31, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh, this is great. It reminds me of a similar UK based book called 'Conundrum', which was somewhat bizarrely sponsored by Cadbury's Creme Eggs. My nanna had a copy of it and I loved to look at the illustrations, which were as cryptic and odd as these ones. I was only 4 or so when I got obsessed by it so I never got too far in solving it, although I used to spend hours looking at the pictures, and dream of digging up my own golden egg. :allears:

On this one, the pillars (?) on the Boston image are bugging me, they look like they should spell something out in a code, I wondered whether it was Maritime Signal flags, there are some letters that kind of match, but there is nothing with triangles involved. There is also that 4 on her cuff.

S...O...W....possibly N? on the left column??? :shrug:

I love this sort of poo poo. The pictures are ace too, although some of them are pretty creepy.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

I think the Houston one is in this location.
http://goo.gl/maps/FY6bX

I would put my money on the grass area inbetween the monument and the fountain

Are there animals on the monument? From the Houston picture I'm noticing that the camel pillar doesn't have a shadow.

Also could the line

Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Be referring to where the shadow of the central tower falls pointing to where to dig? Like some National Treasure poo poo?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 31, 2013

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
If that Boston location really is in Boston, I don't see it existing anymore because of the Big Dig. All them green and tower things make me think of the torn down elevated T and 'colosseum' possibly being the old Boston Garden, which is now a parking light. Even Fenway is under construction right now, so who knows.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Sizone posted:

If you're going to bury something in a park in San Fransisco then the Presidio is pretty much the way to go.

Yeah, but The Presidio was still an active Army base in 1982, which seems like that would create a bit of a barrier.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Are there animals on the monument? From the Houston picture I'm noticing that the camel pillar doesn't have a shadow.

Also could the line

Falls gently
In December night

Be referring to where the shadow of the central tower falls pointing to where to dig? Like some National Treasure poo poo?

I'm willing to bet that the tower (Pioneer Monument) has something to do with those lines, but here's a picture showing that things have been paved over and that the fountains are a new addition.

If only we could find more old pictures...

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I would assume New Orleans is verse 7, and that it's hidden somewhere in Armstrong Park. It's the closest "big" park to the river (except for Audobon Park uptown). And because of the mask imagery and the word "Preservation" I think it's close to the French Quarter.

EDIT: Preservation hall is at 726 st. peter St.

I bet the jewel is hidden on the corner of st. peter and N rampart., right where the park starts.

"Preservation Hall. Now that's where you'll find all of the greats." — Louis Armstrong

Maguro fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 31, 2013

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Also could the line

Falls gently
In December night

North of the monument is a statue of Sam Houston on his horse. Maybe about 200 yards north of it.
I'm gonna be in Houston tomorrow. Kinda makes me wanna go look around!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

I live near the park, and I would be willing to take a stroll there Saturday. How long has that train been running? I'd like to figure out what "982" signifies, too. And does that look like a "96" in the tree branches to anyone else? Far right edge of the picture, at the very low end of the tree limb.

Good catch on the tree branches, I also see a "95" or a "957" in the branches just to the right of the ball pillar.

Edit: The park is at Longitude -95.3, but the latitude is 29.7. I'm not sure what the 96 symbolizes.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 31, 2013

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

I'm in Milwaukee and my running route takes me past these locations all the time. I'm totally willing to go check places out if people figure out more (I'm terrible at riddles).

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Houston, Hermann Park.

EDIT: It looks like I'm not the only one who saw this. http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/map/

Raccoon Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 31, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Houston, Hermann Park.

Wow. And the ruby is just to the bottom right of that pillar, which looks to me like it would be on the edge of the lake or the small grass area to the south of the Pioneer Monument.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 31, 2013

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

Wow I didn't catch that. Good eye.
Whats the fine for digging in a city park by the way?

Ghost of Eazy E fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 31, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

If I get caught, I'm just going to shout "It belongs in a museum!"

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

stabbity posted:

I'm in Milwaukee and my running route takes me past these locations all the time. I'm totally willing to go check places out if people figure out more (I'm terrible at riddles).

I don't think the interpretation of Mitchell is correct. I would guess the Domes - Mitchell Park.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Wouldn't one of those thin metal rods used in mine sweeping be preferable to just starting to dig random holes?

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

I live really close to Hermann Park, and I don't start my new job until Monday, so I have nothing else better to do today than to go and take some pictures.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Wouldn't one of those thin metal rods used in mine sweeping be preferable to just starting to dig random holes?

Yeah I might see if my gramps still has one in his garage. I don't wanna get thrown in jail on vacation.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I live really close to Hermann Park, and I don't start my new job until Monday, so I have nothing else better to do today than to go and take some pictures.

Nice, I live an hour away in Beaumont and was thinking of heading up there Sunday to do some looking around.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Well, here's how I just (as in minutes ago) reached my conclusion about Roanoke being the locale of #3:

Painting on left, satellite shot and map of Roanoke on right.

As for exactly where the cask can be found on the island, that's going to be a lot tougher to work out. Going by what the OP said about these things tending to be in parks, that narrows the possibilities down a bit, and like I said in my first post, my kneejerk reaction is to think it's the Elizabethan Gardens.

I grew up on the Outer Banks, and I think they may in fact be referring to it STARTING at Roanoke Island:

"Verse 11
Pass two friends of octave (The towns of Manteo and Wanchese on the island)
In December
Ride the man of oz (Go over the Washington Baum Bridge)
To the land near the window
There's a road that leads to
Dark forest (Oceanside Drive to Nagshead Woods, our local "haunted forest" park. Oh and look, the armor in the picture is sporting the helmet of an old horse's head!)"

The rest would then seem to indicate specific directions inside the park perhaps (which has indeed changed a lot since the 80's). I don't live there anymore but my sister does, maybe I can get her to scope it out. It could be the Elizabethen Gardens, but the "Ride the Man of Oz" line makes me think otherwise.

Premeditated Toast fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 31, 2013

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I'm in Tampa. the map shows a dot on Clearwater, but the text is St. Aug, on the other coast. Judging from the Spanish looking dude in the painting, I'd guess St. Aug as it was a Spanish colony 500 years ago.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
There were quite a few of these treasure hunt books in the '80s, and I know that some of the treasures have never been found. Is there a comprehensive website that lists them?

auPHE
Feb 28, 2012

Now what in the hell is going on in here.
This is so fascinating. I live nowhere near any of the locations, and I'm poo poo at solving location-based riddles, but I'll be following along!

gogobunny posted:

I also live across the bay from SF so I'm really interested in #1. Plus it looks like it's supposed to be the June one and that's my birth month, so it's doubly attractive to me.

Anyway, I got really fixated on that "sweet smell" clue, and the first things that came to mind were either the rose garden in Golden Gate Park, or Ghirardelli Square. Ghirardelli Square has the added bonus of being right across the water from Alcatraz, since I do think that's supposed to be Alcatraz in the background there, plus it's close to several parks. Golden Gate park kinda fits with the Asian motif of the illustration, though, since it's got a Japanese garden and a Chinese style gazebo. Most of the other clues in the verse I have no idea about.

As far as this goes, I think that Ghirardelli Square makes a huge amount of sense--in addition to having a view of Alcatraz (which many were reminded of by the window in the picture), there's an urban legend (that even I heard about on a short trip there) saying that inmates of Alcatraz could, on particularly windy days, smell chocolate across the water from the square. So I would say it's likely that #1 is buried in either Fort Mason Green or SF Maritime National Historic Park, both located nearby Ghirardelli Square and with a view of Alcatraz.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

SteeVeeDee posted:

For the new york one: The Bird in the illustration, I think, is an eagle ornament from the Chrystler Building, which could be the "gray giant" referred to in the verse. However, the lower left panel also shows something like rectangular monolith, which means the "gray giant" could also be one of the old World Trade Towers (previously the grayest and squarest of all buildings in New York).

Edit: The Island of B could be Staten Island.

Seems to be what makes these so tricky, so many interpretations. I'm getting a Queens vibe from this. For one, Staten Island would never be north unless your referring to Grant's Tomb. However the Broad Channel Island is north of Jamaica in queens, which would be the
"Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies natives"
Queens is also full of Greek Orthadox, with the only church being St. Demetrios south of the botanical gardens. I'd assume the grey arms would be part of the World's Fair exhibit left over, but kinda eh on that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Indies mention in the New York riddle made me think Jamaica, Queens for two reasons. First, the real Jamaica is in the West Indies and second the name of the area in Queens is actually comes from an indigenous (Indian in less pc terms) for Beaver. I'm trying to figure out the Island of B but I don't see why it'd be Staten Island.

If I was still in Connecticut I would've totally gone to NYC for this but I'm too far at the moment. :(

Just previewed and I agree with Pepslexic

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

allta posted:

Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

If this is for the San Francisco one, there are a lot more "fairies" than there were back then, and they meet everywhere in the city.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MassaShowtime posted:

not really possible for the 21 stop thing as you need to transfer at berri for that and technically it can go in any direction. the gnomes thing might have something to do with la parc olympique or botanical gardens, who had a gnomes display in 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Charleston

Fort Sumter?

Looks like it, the old wiki suggests that too. I live in Charleston and its going to be very hard to resist the temptation to go looking for the cask now. No idea where to start on the riddle or the picture though.

The Lion's forehead also has what looks like a map but nothing I can recognize. I'm also leaning toward Verse 5 matching the pic. There's mention of the Citadel which goes with a military theming of the fort sumter clue.