Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

I think the Houston one is in this location.
http://goo.gl/maps/FY6bX

I would put my money on the grass area inbetween the monument and the fountain

Are there animals on the monument? From the Houston picture I'm noticing that the camel pillar doesn't have a shadow.

Also could the line

Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Be referring to where the shadow of the central tower falls pointing to where to dig? Like some National Treasure poo poo?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

I live near the park, and I would be willing to take a stroll there Saturday. How long has that train been running? I'd like to figure out what "982" signifies, too. And does that look like a "96" in the tree branches to anyone else? Far right edge of the picture, at the very low end of the tree limb.

Good catch on the tree branches, I also see a "95" or a "957" in the branches just to the right of the ball pillar.

Edit: The park is at Longitude -95.3, but the latitude is 29.7. I'm not sure what the 96 symbolizes.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 31, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Houston, Hermann Park.

Wow. And the ruby is just to the bottom right of that pillar, which looks to me like it would be on the edge of the lake or the small grass area to the south of the Pioneer Monument.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 31, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Wow I didn't catch that. Good eye.
Whats the fine for digging in a city park by the way?

If I get caught, I'm just going to shout "It belongs in a museum!"

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Raccoon Leaf posted:

I live really close to Hermann Park, and I don't start my new job until Monday, so I have nothing else better to do today than to go and take some pictures.

Nice, I live an hour away in Beaumont and was thinking of heading up there Sunday to do some looking around.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Here are all the numbers I can find in the Houston picture so far. 30, -95 are really close to the Houston area so I think we're on the right track. Clicking straight on McGovern Lake at http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html doesn't really help with any of the other numbers.

Looking at this aerial view of McGovern Lake, I was trying to find a leaf that looked similar to it for confirmation. Too bad pretty much every leaf looks similar to it. The Pioneer's Monument is at the right hand side of the picture.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Back from my visit to Hermann Park. I'm sorry to say it was not that productive. A good portion of the park was shut down for private events. There's a Garden Center that was having a staff retreat. They had cops posted at every entrance for some reason. The Miller Outdoor Theater was also blocked off for a children's play. There's a statue called "Atropos Key" on the top of the hill there that I wanted to investigate.

Here are some things, most of which are already obvious:

Single star in the sky = Lone Star = Texas
Numbers = Latitude and Longitude = Houston
Pillar with ball = Outline of the circle at Sam Houston Statue and Reflecting Pool at Hermann Park
982 = Number on Southern Pacific Steam Engine that used to be in Hermann Park (I'm trying to find out exactly where this was)
Seven pillars on image = Seventh Month (July)
Red gem = Ruby (July's Birthstone)
Odd shaped leaf right center in the image = Larkspur (July's Birth Flower)

Here's what I got from a quick Google search of some of the phrases in the verse:
"Fortress North"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_North_America
No clue if that would mean something

"Cold as glass"
Mentioned in Ayn Rand's Anthem to describe train tracks. Trains seem to be a big part of Hermann Park, including the old SP 982 and a mini-railroad system that has a whistle. I'm not sure if the mini train was running in the 1980s.

"Friendship south"

Picture I found online while researching the Garden Center

"In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight"

The lemontiger guy linked this quote to a Melville piece that talks about falling leaves, locked caskets, and the three Fates.
The logo for Houston Parks & Recreation is a 3-pronged leaf, and one of the three Fates is named Atropos!
HPARD

Atropos Key statue

Lemontiger seems to think it's around the fence at the golf course. I see a few problems with that. First, even if we assume it's there, the golf course has been remodeled, and so it's probably destroyed. Second, he comes up with a scheme involving the number 11 based on the fact that there are pillars in the image and they look like the number 11. I don't think that makes any sense. Third, he ignores a few clues, including "In the center of four alike", which I think is the most important clue to the location (if we figure out what it means).

Edit: I saw you posted the Atropos stuff. But I agree about the fence, from Google Street you can't see the fountain and the ground looks too hard.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree? Another friend thought she remembered there being a Christmas tree in the Japanese gardens area, but I can't find anything online about it.

Also I reversed the colors to see if anything else could be revealed here.

1. A strange shape in the leaves up here, not sure if they signify anything.
2. The djinn's wrappings look more like a face here wearing an old floppy hat. A really creepy face and not the best thing to discover while lying in bed in the dark.
3. The shadow of this dune looks like a seated lion
4. I noticed there was something written at the base of this pillar before, but couldn't make it out. It looks like 53 to me, but not sure what that signifies. There are also different numbers of rings above the bases of each pillar. 1 on the closest, 2 on the rhino's, and none on the camel's. The closest pillar also has the number one inscribed on it, the rhino pillar has two leaves in front of it, and I still think it's important that the camel pillar doesn't cast a shadow.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree? Another friend thought she remembered there being a Christmas tree in the Japanese gardens area, but I can't find anything online about it.

Also I reversed the colors to see if anything else could be revealed here.

1. A strange shape in the leaves up here, not sure if they signify anything.
2. The djinn's wrappings look more like a face here wearing an old floppy hat. A really creepy face and not the best thing to discover while lying in bed in the dark.
3. The shadow of this dune looks like a seated lion
4. I noticed there was something written at the base of this pillar before, but couldn't make it out. It looks like 53 to me, but not sure what that signifies. There are also different numbers of rings above the bases of each pillar. 1 on the closest, 2 on the rhino's, and none on the camel's. The closest pillar also has the number one inscribed on it, the rhino pillar has two leaves in front of it, and I still think it's important that the camel pillar doesn't cast a shadow.

So I was linked this picture from the Children's Zoo, apparently this thing shoots water out of his cup. This hat looks very similar to the djinn's in the inverted picture, just flipped around so it might be the perspective from the other side of him.

And then there's this, apparently also taken inside the Children's Zoo. I don't know if I can just dismiss the Atropos Key clue, but a lot of the information for it being in the Children's Zoo is pretty compelling.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Houston

Thanks for the new scans, I found some writing in the bottom of the Houston picture but I can't make out what it says. In this pic, I've highlighted traced what looks like a seated lion on the right side and some letters up in the tree branches. I still think there is a lot more hidden in the tree branches that we're not seeing because we don't know what we're looking for. The boxes are showing things we haven't really been able to identify yet that I believe are potential clues.

I also found a blog of the Houston Zoo where their head of public relations has been posting pictures and newspaper clippings regarding the zoo from the 1940's. I sent him an email describing our situation and asking if he knows where we can locate older pictures or maps from the 1980's era. Hopefully he'll show some interest and not just brush me off!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Houston

All right guys, I just got off the phone with the Houston Zoo Public Relations Department. The guy was incredibly helpful and knew exactly what I was talking about because a few years ago (somewhere between 2005-2009), someone approached him about the treasure. At that point, the Children's Zoo was still intact but was closed off, so they gave the guy permission to dig in the area and they went at it after hours.

They both went digging in the Children's Zoo for months looking for the casque. The digger called in some favors to get a ground penetrating radar brought in and his friend operated it, and at one point they even brought a back hoe in for excavating. After months of digging, all they turned up was a water main that they busted. At this point, what was the Children's Zoo is either buried under their new attraction or is all a construction area for their upcoming gorilla pavillion.

The guy I talked to was pretty into it and told me of another location that he had suggested but the digger rejected. At the point that the casque was buried, the park was free to enter and stayed open late into the night. He believed that the treasure is buried at what used to be one of these entrances before it was closed off. Looking at the intersection of Hermann Park Drive and Cambridge Street, I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad place to look. It's a little shady spot but I'm not sure whether you can see the fountain at McGovern Lake from there.

The PR Director also told me that he would try to dig up the notes he kept when working with the guy so we can see if he came to any conclusions that we are missing. I still think that this casque is in Hermann Park and not the zoo itself, and he said he can put in a good word with me to the person responsible for permits for digging/running any ground penetrating radar in public parks.

So this guy was incredibly helpful and not at all snobbish or dismissive. Goons in other cities may want to contact their local park departments and see if they can get some help on their end!

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 6, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

This might be referring to the fountains around the Pioneer Monument. You should be able to see them -- though not the base -- as you walk through the forest.

I believe the "in the sky the water veers" refers to the big spout in the middle of McGovern lake. It shoots way up in the air and gets carried off by the wind.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Houston
Don't lose your way through the forest, there's not much to guide you here. But the monument could be a direction finder, it is in the center of four alike and is a tower.

It looks like while the monument was there in 1981, the fountains that surround it were not. They were added in a renovation around 2004 according to the guy at the zoo. The real key to cracking this is going to be figuring out what the four things are.

Edit: But I do agree, I think we're very close and it's in that area of Hermann Park, we just need to get some more context.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 6, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
From what the guy said, I'd need to prove my case to the permit department, he could just tell them that I'm not crazy. I don't think they'll just give us carte Blanche to dig anywhere.

What we really need is some good reconnaissance of the Atropos Key and the area surrounding it and the Pioneer Memorial. Probably the Sam Houston statute as well because I feel like either the north star, the gem, or the shattered stones at the base of the camel pillar could be markers.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Houston

So it has been mentioned by BJG that the Lillian Schnitzer Fountain in front of the Houston Garden Center at Hermann Park looks reminiscent of the djinn in the clue picture from a certain angle.

Here's another angle:

The inscription on the fountain is here:

Like maybe I'm being crazy and reaching, but I think this fountain is related both because of the way it looks and because the inscription is a Wordsworth quote from the collection "A Golden Treasury."

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

T.Worth posted:

If you guys are trying to narrow down what a specific place looked like back in the day there is a possibility you might want to try.

When I was looking at that park in Houston from the overhead perspective and noticed the train was gone I remembered how old aviation and military maps were made. You used to get a plane and take detailed aerial shots of the whole country over and over and then these were used to update the topographic maps with new structures and the such.

These would absolutely still be archived and available somewhere, not sure who to try in the us. Maybe try the USGS and they might be able to tell you where to buy/access them. Should get you a good quality black and white aerial of the places somewhere in a 2 odd year window either side of 1980.

I was linked this site by the head of the Houston zoo's pr department, it's a library that the parks use to store archival material. You can look up and request box numbers and they'll pull them once you arrive. http://www.houstonlibrary.org/julia-ideson-building

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Guys, I think I finally figured out what that wierd tree-branch shape on the left side of the Cask 8 painting is supposed to be...

It's a turned-around number '2'.

I was thinking about the birth flower that corresponds to ruby, it's apparently the Larkspur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolida). The problem is that I can make out the flowers in every one of the other pictures, but I don't see it anywhere here. Am I missing something obvious and the tree leaves are supposed to remind you of a larkspur or could it be a clue?

Also, the theme of 8 is apparently Arabia from the opening poem, but all I see around Hermann Park are Eastern Asian pavilions.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

But I also think he misled people on the Houston location. People keep looking around the Children's Zoo, but I can't find anything that links it there other than him saying something cryptic about not being a waste of time to dig there, but couldn't tell you what you'd find. The clues seem to point outside the zoo, and it seems like it would be very difficult to bury inside the zoo. Plus, he didn't seem too distressed that the Children's Zoo was being demolished, even though that might mean the cask would never be found.

I think he was playing a game with that comment, and maybe the one about Central Park. Where else could you bury it in NYC?

I believe what he later said when pressed about it was "All I can say is I."

Because of how strange it is, I'm wondering if it is, itself a clue. Could the second "I" be a Roman numeral 1? There's two I can point out, one in the middle of the orb pillar and one near the top of the camel pillar.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Houston: I work literally next door to Herman park. I'm there about 6 days a week. I wish there was something more concrete I could do, because this all is pretty cool, but I'm pretty busy most the time. There's nothing little I could do on say a lunch break is there?

Actually, if you could snap a few photos of the area, that would be great! Specifically, the area around the Atropos Key and the Garden Center fountain.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Actually, I'm starting to think that throwing everything out that isn't blatantly obvious -- like the Lat/Long coordinates or the extremely distinctive Legeater statue -- is the way to go.

All this conjecture and no one's found anything on that board other than the cask in Cleveland -- which seems to have spurred on the board itself? I think some of the things accepted as "truth" aren't. It's really hard to talk yourself out of an idea once it's planted in your head.

Houston
I found your theories incredibly interesting and have to admit that Tranquility Park does look an awful lot like the columns in the painting. According to Wikipedia, the columns at the park are meant to represent the rocket boosters, which looking back at the painting, I can imagine the bottom of column as the nozzle at the bottom.

Looking at google maps for the area, I can see some pretty good spots to hide a cask north of the park. I'm really starting to believe that the wrong verse is matched up with this picture and would really love to know how they were matched originally. The "giant step" one especially stands out to me due to the footprint plaque, I'm just poking around seeing if there's an "object of Twain's attention" somewhere nearby.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

This looks like a dead ringer for the object in the leaves at the upper right.

Also, could the strange leaf to the upper right of the orb pillar be this ship outline?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 12, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Raccoon Leaf posted:

The first space shuttle mission was in 1981. The leaf is larkspur.

I have such a sad face right now. I really don't want that leaf to be larkspur, but you're definitely right.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

BJG posted:

I'm just waiting for the day when people stop yakking about this puzzle and dig a hole in the ground, but I doubt it'll ever come.

Good old Wilhouse armed himself with a bulldozer and a ground-penetrating radar system and had a drat good try at digging one of these things up. Gotta respect that.

Ah, so Wilhouse was the guy that the Zoo's PR guy told me about. From what he told me, they dug out huge tracts of the Children's Zoo and never found anything but a water line. I'm also pretty convinced by the zoo picture you posted that matches up the park pillars with the ones in the painting. Really hope this one's in Hermann Park and wasn't in the Children's Zoo and the visual cues were just to get you in the right general area or else it's gone forever.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

I do plan on going to Houston soon, but it is three hours from Austin by car (and I'm considered close, if you can believe that!). I can't make a whole bunch of trips, so I'm trying to run down as many possibilities from here as I can before I go. I anticipate spending significant time in Hermann park, but I'll probably scout other areas. If you have a way to video conference with someone with a US iPhone (Skype?), I'd be more than happy to do that from the park so that you can "see" the park a little better. Nothing like being there and all that.

I live about an hour from Houston, I've been planning to take a trip up there but the stars haven't aligned correctly yet. If you're going to head up there at some point, let me know and I can meet you there and we can see what we can figure out.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Judging by your username and distance from Houston, I have to believe you live in Beaumont, where I'm originally from. Incidentally, I worked with Gary Lee Love back in the early 90's.

You're some kinda sorcerer.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Count me out of any "Goon Meet"-type stuff unless somebody has a really good idea of where the cask is buried (as in, like good enough that we actually find it there) and I get to take some of the credit for finding and uncovering it.

Also I would like the option to take the cask and its contents myself (assuming that it is in good enough condition) so that I can try to sell them to my university and maybe have my name included in a story on the school webpage. I've been in undergrad for too drat long and I WANT SOMETHING TO SHOW FOR IT DAMMIT! :argh:

:smith:

So you don't want to do any of the footwork that could lead to the treasure, you just want to be there when it's dug up and then keep it?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Peenigrippe posted:

Congratulations! Now you can put that on your resume too.

Let's leave him alone guys, all he wants to do is contribute! Now please keep posting your own pictures and theories while he keeps his secret.

Oh, and if you know exactly where it is buried, he will make the drive, but only if he gets to keep the box. I mean, it all sounds legit.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

I'm now 1/3 of the way through this thread, compiling all the information I can for Houston for the wiki. It's amazing how many pages don't have anything, while others have large chunks.

I wish I had thought about it earlier, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to catalog what searches are mentioned on each page. That way, if someone wanted to see all the discussion about a particular cask/city/verse they could see that Milwaukee was mentioned on pages 23, 24, 25, 38, 42, 45-50, .....

I think that could be useful, but compiling it? Christ. I'm thinking a spreadsheet might be best.

I was visiting a friend today and she lives about 2 miles from Tranquility Park, so we stopped by and snapped some pictures of the things you requested. The seals in the ground were in two locations we could find, both sets look like they were put there in 1979. Each group of four has one seal in English and the other three are in various languages. I also snapped pictures of the pillars from different angles and from standing in the center of each of the sets of seals.

Here's the album, she also got a few pictures so I'm going to get them from her and upload them as well. http://imgur.com/a/0q5ot

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

einTier posted:

Houston Stuff

This is old, but I believe the big visual clues from the Houston picture that led to the Children's Zoo were posts in the park that had a camel and a rhino head. Additionally, the large pillar with the globe on top is similar to an aerial view of the north side of Hermann Park, with the Sam Houston monument making the ball and the reflecting pool making the pillar. The Atropos Key is just east of the reflecting pool, and from what I understand, the train was originally nearby as well.

I really, really don't want it to be in the Children's Zoo either, but I called the Zoo when I was really into this a few months ago and spoke with the employee that helped the guy who brought in the back hoe. He said the evidence was pretty convincing and they dug up huge areas but didn't find anything before they had to call it quits. Apparently the entire area has been renovated for an African forest, so if it was there, it's not anymore. He also said they struggled with several of the verses, but believed it had to at least be somewhere in the park if it wasn't in the zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

I don't see how they would struggle with several of the verses. The evidence is overwhelming that it is in or around Hermann Park in Houston Texas and only when linked with verse 1.

Right, I meant they struggled with some of the lines of verse 1 and if it was leading them to dig in a particular spot.