Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
More info on the Milwaukee one:

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/milwaukee.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Re: Milwaukee, Wonderstone was the marketed name of pyrophyllite from South Africa.

Hit a large dead end after that.

edit: also, if anyone was thinking Juneau Park, may want to get in contact with this guy and see if his ground-penetrating radar scan of the entire park came up with anything.

http://distantmirror.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/discovering-new-secrets-beneath-juneau-park-in-downtown-milwaukee/

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 1, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Re: Milwaukee, here's a listing of all public outdoor art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_public_art_in_Milwaukee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Outdoor_sculptures_in_Milwaukee,_Wisconsin

Some of them have handy videos of the piece and surrounding area.

Random thoughts:

Of the two located, it seems like only the first few lines deal with identifying the park where the cask is, the rest is intra-park detail. The clue's portrait is really, really sparse with extra poo poo, so I'm thinking that pattern around the figure's neck is critical.

Chicago's did have an imitation of a sculpture, and that juggler's hand + direction facing is extremely similar to Juneau's.

However, no idea how any of this ties into Germany.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Viking Blood posted:

Disclaimer: I only know anything about the book and riddles from this thread.

"The tale of the fair people"

Does this have any relevance in the story? Could this be in reference to World's Fairs? As in; cities that have hosted worlds fairs? Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, San Fran, NYC, Montreal? That would make some assumed location wrong, as they haven't hosted world's fairs...but I'm not sure how solid the assumptions are.

Sounds good, but I think some of the most solid assumption locations are non-world-fair cities/areas.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

How ironic.

It seems the Chicago one is already found, what a shame. I would have loved to help out. I might find myself in Milwaukee, but not for a few months at least.

Sorry if this was already said, but how were the caskets buried? Few feet under? Even if you know where the casket is, how do you know exact enough to warrant digging? If say construction workers stumble on the caskets, is there anything to tell them about the mystery or is there a possibility some are lost to history?

Author took a shovel, supposedly they're not more than 3 ft deep. Although neither account gave an exact depth, it seemed like caskets 1 & 2 were at about 1.5 ft.

If I were there, I'd just take a thin metal sounding rod and poke down to about 2-2.5 ft. depth, they're encased in plexiglass boxes.

There is a chance that construction workers or archaeologists dug them out, I doubt there's a chance in hell that they'd know what they found if they did. Also a chance that natural disasters (earthquakes, Katrina, other flooding) have done some damage. I think the Cleveland one was already in pieces when they found it in 2004.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

acmpsu21 posted:

This could very well be the woman in the picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant_Mother_(sculpture)

It is located in Cathedral Square Park, three blocks east of City Hall. The shape of the park, while not a direct match, seems to be the closest resemblance to the pattern around the woman's neck out of anything else I can see on Google Earth.

Pros:
-Given that this whole thing is a tribute to immigrants, the statue is a great link.
-3 blocks from City Hall, "past three, staying west" - although west of what?
-While the base of the statue isn't Wonderstone, it is red granite, maybe the author didn't quite catch the distinction.
-Cathedral Square Park is fairly central, and I don't think much has changed there since 1982.
-Can still see city hall from there

Cons:

-Still doesn't explain the bridge/culvert
-proud, tall fifth still doesn't make sense
-supposed to be a letter from somewhere there, the statue seems barren (2nd edit: inscription reads: DEDICATED TO THE/ VALIANT IMMIGRANT MOTHERS/ BY WILLIAM GEORGE BRUCE/ IVAN MESTROVIC SCULPTOR)...
-I'm not seeing the pattern match

edit: other thoughts, the two solved puzzles had references to street names; that park is surrounded by Jefferson, Jackson, Wells and Kilbourn. Jefferson = 3rd president, Jefferson borders the west side of the park.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 3, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Duo TCR posted:

Back in 1981, there were 4 Paper Birch trees in the northwest corner of Red Arrow Park, at Water and State Streets.
At least according to this.

Same article points out a sugar maple in the SE part of Cathedral Square where the trunk splits into a V-shape about 5ft off the ground. Tall proud fifth, Roman numeral style?

Edit: Also two horsechestnut trees immediately behind the statue of the Immigrant Mother, someone pointed out earlier that they thought the flower in the illustration was a horsechestnut flower.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 4, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Lypiphera posted:

I live in the Greater Milwaukee Area if there aren't any goons here yet who are. I definitely have some ideas about the verse and the pic for the clue also.

There's two or three that have gone out scouting in the City Hall/Red Arrow Park district, and about 10 different theories as to where it could be, none of which are that solid.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Milwaukee

Perhaps we should compile a listing of all the parks/green spaces within a 2 mile radius of City Hall.

I noticed MacArthur Square off just to the west, with a bronze statue of the General there. 5-star general, = 'proud tall fifth'?

(park right next to Lovell St.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Douglas_MacArthur_%28Dean%29

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm all for people Caging on the puzzles, since these other ten are going to be harder than the located ones, though I agree that Preiss leaned more towards simple visual cues and street names rather than obscure literary references in the located ones.

Was there an explanation for the gemstones not matching up in the portraits? Milwaukee is supposed to be an amethyst, and has what looks like a topaz or sapphire. Some of the other ones don't match either. Also lol at Preiss handing the Cleveland dude a sapphire instead of an aquamarine.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, it solves the entire riddle then!

(Just because we hypothesize other solutions doesn't mean we don't acknowledge others. The point is no one knows!)

The 'roman numeral' interpretation is pretty Cagey, but other than City Hall we haven't seen any other staircases that come close to the 92/200 amounts, and it does have the 'grand' connection.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

there's easier ways to trick people into reading ayn rand, you know

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Just a few blocks west of City Hall is a statue of a five-star general.

Kinda feel like we're going in circles on the Milwaukee clue.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Abugadu posted:

Re: Milwaukee, Wonderstone was the marketed name of pyrophyllite from South Africa.

edit: also, if anyone was thinking Juneau Park, may want to get in contact with this guy and see if his ground-penetrating radar scan of the entire park came up with anything.

http://distantmirror.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/discovering-new-secrets-beneath-juneau-park-in-downtown-milwaukee/

For that square marker by the Knights of the Round Table in Juneau Park, what does it say on it? Can we get a transcript?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ug. So if Preiss used 'wonderstone' to mean any drat jewel, that sets the Milwaukee clue back a bit.

If it's amethyst, possible countries for 'wonderstone's hearth' would be Brazil, Greece, Austria, Russia, South Korea, and who knows where else Preiss referenced in '82.

But that's just going off the 'two balls = February = Amethyst' conjecture, ignoring the blue qualities of the pictured gem. (Though no portrait has a purple gem, so I don't think the amethyst proposition is necessarily wrong.) Blue topaz is found in a buttload of countries, I'll assume the aquamarine was effectively taken out of the picture by the Cleveland discovery,
and I'm pretty sure the one in portrait 6 is a star sapphire, taking that out of the picture.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Captain Morose posted:

I've been working on Milwaukee for the past week or two, logging a zillion hours in Google maps and Wikipedia, trying to make sense of Verse 8. Is there anything beyond the mention of "Mitchell" that's making everyone think that Verse 8 is absolutely Milwaukee? Like, were verse 8 and Milwaukee image printed next to each other in the book?

It's not that I have a better suggestion. Just second guessing after hitting an awful lot of dead ends.

Not really, no.

And to add to the frustration, both the Chicago and Cleveland finds were not 'simple' once they figured out the location; Chicago had to get a photograph from Preiss of the burial spot after they unearthed nothing but underground pipes, and in Cleveland the guy dug around for over 5 hours after thinking he had the exact spot pinpointed.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

It seems like the position of the gem in the portraits doesn't have a bearing on the final digging spot or location, based on Cleveland and Chicago. Unless we find one that proves otherwise, I think it's a misleading detail.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

wa27 posted:

It's pretty obvious that the legeater in the drawing is a reference to a physical legeater (probably on the base of a lamp), even if it's not the one in Montreal. There's no way it was drawn as a vague reference to some story about a cougar eating goats, but just so happened to end up looking exactly like a piece of metalwork.

Unless that park used to have a legeater lamp in it.

edit:

Well this is just hilarious. Never stop posting your theories in here.

Meh, the checkerboard stuff in Vancouver looks 10x more promising than anything the Montreal proposals have put together, in my mind. Montreal's progress has basically been legeater + jamming square pegs into round holes for clues, and now we know the legeater isn't unique, so....

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Merlot Brougham posted:

Other than the numbers in the image seemingly giving the coordinates of Montreal.

no.

Montreal = 45N 73W

Numbers in image - 67 (with the 6 having a 4 coming out the top using the 7's crossbar), and then a backwards 9 (could be an odd 4) and 7.

No fives, no threes.

edit: 47N 97W puts you near Grand Forks, ND.

47N 79W and 47N 74W put you in rural Canada.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 25, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Merlot Brougham posted:

The 73 is in his hair.

I've never been sold on that, as it's a generous interpretation of a hair curl, and there's two sets of perfectly obvious numbers already in the picture.

edit: no 5's either, and Montreal sits dead in the center of the 45th parallel.

double edit: If I try to force fit Vancouver, I read that first set as a 49 (flipping the 6 upside down), and interpret that same hair chunk as being '23' instead of '73', with any of the straight pieces acting as the '1' in front of it, giving me 49N 123W. This, however, also ignores the second set of numbers, and suffers from the same problem as the Montreal coordinates.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 25, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Ok, so I'm venturing into Smurf land, but matching up Stanley Park and the checkerboard theory with the verse thought to go with New York takes care of the 'north to the Isle of B' would match up with the park being directly south of the Inlet of Burrard. The Grey Giant could be the Hollow Tree, with a road right next to it where cars go by. Not sure what shape the tree was in back in 1982, or if it had a branch that pointed down towards Rawlings trail.

edit: Hollow Tree probably wasn't that grey in 1982. Hrm.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 25, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that picture has always said, "Pacific Northwest" to me. New York just didn't give the right vibe. I've tried Seattle, Vancouver, Fairbanks, Juneau and a few others with it. Seattle and Vancouver both had a comfortable feel. A virtual walk through Gastown in Vancouver felt really good.

Vancouver is my first choice for that picture at the moment, but I'm not ready to start posting stuff about it.

There are totem poles in that same park in Vancouver that have that same eagle-face design as in that portrait.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

don Jaime posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is there a reason it's generally accepted there isn't a cask in Los Angeles? I've seen no speculation about LA at all, and it's better known, has more park options for burials, and is a lot easier to get to than Roanoke or St. Augustine. I'd think America's second largest city would be high on the list of possibilities. But it just isn't.

I don't think there's a refutation of any specific place, it's just that we have 10 casks left, and some of the portraits are pretty straightforward as to location (Milwaukee, e.g.), and none of the questionable ones have any identifying info pointing towards L.A.

So it's not unreasonable, we just don't have any positive evidence for it, such as building outlines, lat/long coordinates, rebuses, etc.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

That Milwaukee parking garage find makes me think Cathedral Square park again. You can see City Hall from there, it's in a direct line with the garage. The Immigrant Mother statue, with the hood and with the bronze mimicking the patina on the portrait's cloak is too perfect of a fit with the puzzle's theme.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Grand Poobah posted:

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but it is a pretty common brick pattern. I was in Green Bay last week and snapped a photo of the exact same bricks on a restaurant I was standing outside of. I'd be willing to bet you could find it all over Milwaukee. That said, in the right location, I think it could very well be a clue.

EDIT: You can even buy them at Home Depot http://tinyurl.com/n22tbwd

It may be common, but we haven't found it all over Milwaukee, much less within a two block radius of City Hall, except here so far. Also would have had to be built pre-1983.

Milwaukee's portrait is just plain lovely for visual clues, we have the woman, the pattern, City Hall, and some nebulous folds in the fabric of the cloak. Since City Hall is pretty self-explanatory, that leaves us with three visuals.

Woman - same hand gesture as Solomon Juneau, same stone pattern as Immigrant Mother, not much else.

Pattern - so far just that parking garage. Unless Preiss had a fever-dream in which he traveled into the future and happened to land in a Home Depot.

Fabric - nothing but random guesses at this point, maybe something once we can pin down a park.

Our verse is not that helpful, the only thing that matches exactly has us going up and down the drat City Hall staircase for no reason. Everything else put forward has had some major problems.

So yeah, I'm going to get really excited about the parking garage bricks, because they're the only concrete (pardon) clue on the Milwaukee puzzle we've had for the last thirty years. Even if those aren't the particular blocks Preiss meant, at least we know what we're looking for, if not where.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Re: Cask 12's eagle, could that also be from a totem pole? Makes a little more historical sense than the Seahawks logo connection.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

crashdome posted:

Milwaukee

True, technically it is just a quatrefoil. My point was and still is that it is not a clover. Was it a good substitute for a description at the time? Yes. Still nature? Yes. Still relevant? Yes. Does it really matter? No. You are right. But, now we have Urban Smurf citing clover in his theories every other sentence. :v:

Semantics aside, I visited Zeidler Park today and took a stroll down the riverwalk. Zeidler I got nothing. Lots of birches on the riverwalk south of Michigan leading to Third Ward and deep into it. Plenty of places to bury something. I could not, however, find anything that fit the poem/image although I did walk the East side of the river and not the West yet.

Re: Zeidler, doesn't it have a sign re: Zeidler getting torpedoed off South Africa (Wonderstone's hearth)?

It looks like a lot of stuff in that park has been recently added, as well. Wonder what it looked like in 82.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

The thing that bugs me most about the Milwaukee puzzle is that we have several locations that fit parts of the verse but nothing in the picture, and one location that fits the picture but doesn't fit the clues at all. (Juneau)

View the three stories of Mitchell

-the starting point, not very helpful considering the two found locations were a ways away from their verse's starting spot.

As you walk the beating of the world

-garbage

At a distance in time
From three who lived there

-no real good matches with any historical Milwaukee figures, but I'm guessing street names since that's what he fell back on more than anything.

At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord

-Nothing we've found gets near the point where I think it's a match, just some really loose associations.

Silently playing

-so probably a statue/relief/painting

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

-Matches with Plankinton Arcade/Grand Ave. Mall extremely well

Pass the compass and reach
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge

-No good matches for the compass, and the culvert/bridge thing I think is the most critical piece that we're whiffing on. That would at least give us proximity to the final spot with the following verses.

Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil
To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west

-These should help narrow down which bridges/culverts don't match the verse.

You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth

-Statue, tree, or something else? The Leif the Discover statue at least has a letter (or letters) from another country (Norway), but it's on sandstone, and we haven't fit it to any of the rest of the verses or the 'proud tall fifth' or anything in the picture. I kind of lean away from trees due to the need of having a letter on it, but I've gone through all of Milwaukee's public statues and the only faint hits are Leif, Soloman and MacArthur (a 5-star general, but statue located in front of police station, unlikely spot, has proximity but no other clues).

And though I railed against the thought of it before, that brick in the parking garage (on figure's neckline) is a really goddamn generic brick that could be anywhere - I've seen it used a lot in construction from the 60's-70's. There's the possibility that the resting place had it near there but that it was knocked down/replaced in the past few decades. And who the hell knows what Preiss meant by 'wonderstone', since nothing we've found matches any of the known associations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

The pole was in the middle of cement in the middle of the circular parking lot. During Preiss' day, there was no digging anywhere within 25 feet of that pole. It was nothing but cement and asphalt.

What about a large step in the direction of the pole from the statue?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

xie posted:

Yes, interestingly enough. Same image/verse, some similar clues, totally different end location, and they came to them independently.

Neat, if nothing else. But also very telling.

And I think someone else did some digging earlier in Milwaukie, Oregon using the Milwaukee picture, but different verse.

Also lol at some dude trying to snipe this and getting busted.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Urban Smurf posted:

Many of the widely accepted narrowed locations are no better than any random place a person might force to work. Backyarditis and pareidolia are rampant and no, suggesting that 4 casques are in the western states, central, and eastern doesnt mean all the casques are in Oregon -i forget which fukkah said that.

The real weakness in general is everyones limited focus on visual based matching. While an eventual assortment of visual matches will apply, still involves navigating the secondhand interpretations of JJP. Preiss selected all the locations each for a reason. He wrote the verses. Theres more to the verses given the first hand authorship and from that and the Litany of the Jewels, I've entrenched my perspective.

I've been waiting for xie's report before dropping a phat recompiling of my work. I might have to get down to business sooner...; the goonmill is overdue for more grist.

The Oregon thing came from someone convinced that Milwaukee was actually Milwaukie.

Despite the Milwaukee city hall in the portrait.

The problem with the verses/portrait thing is that you need the portrait to give you a starting city, the verses to get you close, portrait to give you visual match confirmation, then verses again to narrow it down to roughly 5000 cubic feet of dirt to go through to find a small box.

That last part is the killer. Odds are good that we've had people digging in the correct location and not locating the box already.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

swims posted:

Where was this guy from?

I wouldn't be surprised if all solves are Midwest with maybe one west coast moneyshot. Finds in poo poo cities like Chicago and Cleveland kinda reinforce that. Other solves are probably realistically Kansas City, Memphis, Detroit, Cincinnati, etc.

This guy probably didn't have all kinds of travel money and I guess his big dig could be international in Canada. Niagra falls area.

There's probably a blatant solve in like Minneapolis if you think about it.

He was from New York, I'm not sure whether that means it's more or less likely that one of the casks is there.

Also, now that I know the Milwaukee portrait's neckpiece represents a concrete construction block, I see that same drat block in lots of buildings near my office. (which is not in the continental US).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Thinking about Milwaukee:

I think he's dead on up until after the 92 steps. But it could diverge after that. There's five large bridges in Lake Park, it's not necessarily the concrete bridge. The Brick Arch bridge is probably too far north, the lion bridges too far south (although lion = Leo = tall, proud fifth is extremely tempting, Leo being the fifth zodiacal sign.)

And the last few lines don't match up with anything visible. Could be that the obvious thing was destroyed in the last 35 years, but...

In between Lake Park Rd. and Ravine Rd. two bridges- the aforementioned concrete footbridge, and the steel arch bridge northwest of that, the left of the two green points up top:

http://lakeparkfriends.org/wp-content/themes/divi-child/images/steel-arch-bridge-2.jpg

I'm not currently in Wisconsin, but that picture makes it look like there's a culvert or something under it.

But taking the same rough distance from the proposed solution's concrete bridge, and applying it to the steel arch bridge, gets you very close to this:

http://lakeparkfriends.org/wp-content/themes/divi-child/images/american-war-mothers-plaque-1921.jpg

Wonderstone is potentially rhyolite, a light-colored igneous rock. It's on a wonderstone-like hearth. American war mothers = proud. Dedicated in May = Fifth. Admittedly, not tall in the least. But, according to the plaque, there's trees nearby.

Weaknesses: no connection between Grand 200 and getting you up to Lake Park Rd., 'tall' not accounted for. And if the steel bridge were it, the pattern on the woman's shawl should have matched it.

But I'm adamant that this thing isn't going to be next to a tree. "Tall, proud fifth" has to be something different. I'd originally thought Generals, of which there's one in the park, further south:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erastus_B._Wolcott#/media/File:WolcottMonument1919.jpg

But he's a one-star general, not a five-star. Welp, that's all I've got.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Xie, and those who dig. You dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Didn't Preiss' widow or artist know the burial spots as well? Making it pointless to try to fake a find?