Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«60 »
  • Locked thread
Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]



Located just northeast of Bedford on the route between Chattanooga and Neo-Nashville, five travelers, bound to their own destinies have been brought together by some cosmic coincidence. Whether or not they would leave a lasting impression on the wastes was yet to be seen, but in an era where a little civility went a long way and a loaded gun, even further, only time would tell.


I'll fix up a better map(sooner than later), but for now this'll do. The red lines are ruins of highways.

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Shotgun Boogie

----

Lloyd Rourke - Jolinaxas
Having lost a good portion of your caps in Vault Town to some crooked gamblers, you headed south, no particular destination in mind, when on the third day of your travel, you came across a battered, malnourished woman with an expression of hatred on her face. You take cover by an old abandoned road cruiser and watch inquisitively from a distance.

----

Jackson "Jackie" Reed - QuantumNinja
Exhausted and nearly withered away from a lack of food or water, your own determination was the only thing carrying you through the wastes when you notice a large robed figure out on the western horizon. Sweat in your eyes, dust in your lungs, you weren't entirely convinced that this wasn't just an illusion brought on by exhaustion, but it continued on. Additionally, there was a man maybe 400 yards east of you by a destroyed road cruiser, but you weren't sure if it was the Caravan Guard or not.

----

Mossman - Went to Hell
It had been about a day since you left Chattanooga. The normies there weren't as bad as most in the Tennessee wastes and there was even work available for you doing commissioned repairs for the Red Star. Headed north to salvage parts to fix a pre-war communications array that they were trying to establish, you encounter a host of peculiar individuals on the route to Neo-Nashville. A large robed figure that was far too big to be a human, an injured and angry looking woman, a man ducking behind a road cruiser looking on the scene that was playing out and a large tribal man that you had actually seen in Chattanooga in passing.

----

Therax - Ryuujin
You had come from a far away place that you knew you would probably never see again, you left the comfort of the west to seek adventure! After having heard legends from the matriarch of your tribe about the great Deathclaw that battled alongside the mighty "wanderer", you sought to find your own companions. For many moons you traveled, fighting off various wildlife and the occasional overzealous band of a raiders when you arrived at an Uioae tribe on the outskirts of what was Tennessee. The humans there were strong, proud warriors who had a reverence for the land and the spirit of life itself. You were surprised when they welcomed you into their home, and even more so when you found that they lived among distant deathclaw relatives. For a week, you stayed speaking with the elders of this small tribe, learning about the cursed land where the earth mother had been revived, learning about the customs and culture of the Uioae. Finally, they prepared you for the wastes, fashioning a large robe for you out of various cloth and material and providing you with enough provisions to travel. Your travels brought you east, where you learned a larger tribe of Uioae were. You thought you might find your "wanderer" here. En route, you encounter a group of strange travelers, but are reluctant to approach them, instead you continue on in your travel, waiting to judge their actions.

----

Sahen - SevenSocks
Your proclivity for the sciences set you apart at an early age, but you did not let it hinder your progress in becoming a respected doctor in the wastes. Having found that your services were best received along the free and neutral cities, you worked along the route between Chattanooga and Neo-Nashville, usually stopping in Johnnyville and trading your services for supplies or a place to rest during the journey. This trip was to be no different, but you did receive some news of a shipment of pre-war text books arriving in Neo-Nashville which left you a little more enthusiastic about the trip than usual. That strange ghoul that did repairs had been following the same route, but you hadn't stopped to talk to one another, but everything sort of comes to an awkward stand still as an injured looking woman, a drifter, the ghoul and a large robed figure share all converge on one location.

-----



----

GM Notes
Welcome to my PbP rendition of the Fallout PNP system. I'll have an actual map with your character icons and enemy icons up soon enough(that I'll for the most part, try to keep persistent). Trying to get the mapper to work on the Steam version of the games and it is not wanting to cooperate, although I did extract all the sprites so worst case scenario, Isometric sprites on a top-down maptool map, but if I can just make game maps, that would be sweet!

The armor/item condition stuff is actually already in the OOC and in summary, the chart for armor on pg. 16 also applies to item condition.

Use an online dice roller that logs your rolls, like Orokos or InvisibleCastle to make your rolls.

The roll is almost always d100 and you just want the overall value to be equal to or less than your skill value with all applicable modifiers.

Example: Marty the super-mutant wants to punch, Ted the raider. Ted has armor class 11, and Marty has unarmed skill 87%. 87% - 11 = 76% to hit. Marty rolls 23% and brings his fist crashing down on the raiders chest.

Target hits and stuff have other rules like additional chance to miss, but worst case scenario, just post your base skill(tagged, trait, item bonuses included), roll the d100 and I'll do the math.

Anyhow, I've got to get to work on some house stuff, but I'll be working on a map later on and responding to your initial posts, but this "quest"/scene is more for you to get introduced to one another at some capacity or decide what your current agenda is.

If anything is unclear, and it probably is... just let me know and I'll clarify.

OOC Thread

Doctor Idle fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2013 around 18:19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman crept warily up to the woman in the road. He kept an eye on the normie that was skulking by the old cruiser. The man reminded Mossman of a vulture waiting for its prey to expire.

When he was sure the injured woman wasn't about to open fire on him, Mossman said in a raspy voice: "Afternoon. You look like you could use a drink."
Slowly so as not to cause an alarm, Mossman reached into his jumpsuit, and produced a bottle of water, warm and probably a little irradiated.
"Here," he said. "It's not clean, since the rads don't bother me, but I think you can risk it to wet your whistle."

The woman hesitated. Mossman sighed. "Listen, if you don't want my help, that's all right. I get it a lot. But I think you're being darn foolish turning down this water."

Can I spend a couple caps to say that I've got a bottle of drinking water on me?

I think Mossman's a kind soul deep down. He's quite wary of normies, especially when he's out in the wasteland, but he tries to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. He's used to people not trusting him on sight, but it still hurts sometimes.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax, still a ways off, stops as he encounters other travelers, he knows that few would react positively to the reveal as to what he is. So he remains silent, hidden beneath the burlap tarp that he wears as a robe, and far enough away not to immediately get involved in the possible altercation. He does spot a large man that has something of the look of the Uioae, though not the garb.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen the Butcher Surgeon

A battered woman lying in the middle of the road, and a half assedly hidden watcher not too far off. The old raider trick was as old as raiding itself, and still drat effective. Man, that is to say 'Men', have difficulty fighting their baser instincts, even when the outcome is obvious, although it was strange to see someone with, medically speaking, 'No Dangly Bits' take the bait. Maybe Sahen was over thinking things.

He slowed his pace to fall behind as the suited ghoul shambled up ahead. He'd seen the ghoul before, in Chattanooga, associating with the Red Star; good people. Now the ghoul was straying right into a very possible, and if so, very obvious, trap. He pulled his path to the right, eastward, and scanned the sides of the road for more raiders. A single attacker would fall quickly, but raiders along this path seemed to operate in cells ranging from four to fifteen. He kept his hand over his ax, sitting in its makeshift sling, and scanned west. A looming figure, difficult enough to pick out from the other large rocks and debris littering the wastes, catches his eye. Finding a suitable chunk of pavement, he squats down, and observes. Maybe the woman... or the ghoul if he assumed correctly, would require medical attention soon.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

Lloyd crouched behind what might have charitably called a car a few centuries ago, and took out his binoculars. It didn't pay to approach these things casually: he'd learned that the hard way back in Vault Town. She looked mean - the kind of woman Lloyd usually stayed away from, but the ghoul seemed to think everything was as it should be - he pulled the cloudy water out of his jumpsuit like it was a weapon offered in surrender; slow and cautiously.

Lloyd was never the type to leave well enough alone, and as if to prove this, let the binoculars drop to his chest by the strap and stood up, holding up his hands and walking towards the two travelers. His brass knuckles were in easy reach - in a pocket of his leather jacket, if things went sour. If they went -really- sour, well, your number's gotta come up sometime.

"Everything okay over here, folks?"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]



Still working on getting the mapper software to work. I'll probably just find my actual game discs and try that install instead of steams. Anyhow, roughly what the scene looks like. Distance not so accurate.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed

Her throat was dry---too dry. As she struggles to breathe, she glares at a number of figures around her, trying to discern if her eyes are lying to her for the fourth time today. Her hands were shaky from the waste, and when she tries to pull her pistol, her arm refuses to exert the effort required to clear the holster.

And then he was there, offering her a bottle of water, and something was echoing in her mind---words. Speech! The heat made her brain mushy, but she stumbles closer, falling to a knee as she grips the precious, precious water. Her fingers barely work the cap, but she gets a mouthful and doubles over, coughing into the dirt as her lips start to crack and bleed.

"Th-th-thank you." It's all she can manage before greedily downing the entire bottle, leaving the empty plastic on the ground. Then she looks up, seeing another man loom, and her wits rush back in an instant. She struggles backwards, to her feet, hooking her thumb around her pistol as she tries to get all of these strange men in view. Her eyes move from desperate to dangerous, and she seems all too jumpy.

"You! Who are you? What do you want with me? I won't be a slave."

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

The young woman's hand moved with lightning speed. Even starved and dehydrated, she could clearly outdraw Mossman any day of the week. Her hands trembled slightly, but at this range, she wouldn't have to aim very hard to hit him. Mossman raised his hands before him.

"So you're a runaway, huh?" he croaked. "I figured as much. Well, young lady, folks 'round these parts call me Mossman, and I don't mind tellin' you, I don't hold with no slavery."

Mossman glanced back at the tribal. "That one I've seen before. Sahen, I think his name is. I don't think he means us any harm." He paused. "Unsettling though he may seem."

Mossman's eyes narrowed as the "vulture" approached. There was something a little too friendly about his demeanor.

"She's hungry and thirsty." Mossman said. "You can either help us or keep walking." He slowly put his hand to the pistol at his hip. It was worn and battered, and Mossman wasn't the best shot to begin with, but it was time to make a stand. A normie with no qualms about preying on his own kind has no qualms about shooting a ghoul in the back.

Mossman met the vulture's eyes. "Make your move."

Hey Jolinaxas! Let's have our characters not trust each other, but then slowly develop mutual respect, trust and even friendship between them as the story unwinds! Sound cool?

Also, Dr. Idle: Nice touch with the map. Hope you manage to tweak it further.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen's eyes wandered slowly from the small gathering of people, to the hooded figure, and back. When the leatherbound drifter approached, hands in the air, he mentally left the situation for a moment. No one was getting shot by him yet, that was at least sure. The burlap wrapped figure seemed to shrink a bit, compress down, watching. Sahen knew the form, though they were generally not brought out but for hunting or war, and this place held neither. He'd have treated it with more thought, but a sort of commotion sprung up around the drum circle. The woman was drawing her gun and the ghoul was not far off. The drifter only seemed confused.

His eyes gave a final double look to the dusty specter crouched off in the wastes, before tromping over to the scene. The ghoul was still fingering at the gun by his side, not quite yet grasping it from it's pocket, and the woman had a sharp bead on the man, his hands still raised, although the way she held the pistol seemed off, crooked almost. The drifting man seemed about to speak. Ax in hand, Sahen pushes haltingly between the two would be gunslingers, hooking the ghoul lightly with the spike of the ax to push him back. He gives the drifter a quick up-and-down before turning, looking to the woman-ghoul duo.

"Is there... problem here?" Sahen lets the ax head drop to the ground with a metallic 'clunk', eyes rolling from side to side between the two before him. An obviously battered, fatigued woman, a sun scorched ghoul, and occasionally over his shoulder to the lucklorn looking drifter with his hands in the air.

Sahen has a charisma of 2, dead low. People with any higher charisma have a tendency to take what he says the wrong way. Some people take him as being strongly condescending, some take him as being a stupid tribal that likes to throw around big words misguidedly. Ultimately how your characters react, how poorly and in what way they hear him, is up to you.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

This lonely road was getting very crowded. The hulking man in leather had appeared, from Lloyd's perspective, out of nowhere. Add to that the lukewarm reception from the clearly paranoid ghoul, and this was starting to get exasperating.

"Well, aren't you gonna tell the big fella here his help isn't welcome? Or do you need to feed her some more of that glow-in-the-dark water first? You know we can't drink that like y'all can, right?"

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


This was an unexpected development. Mossman did not think the tribal would come between him and the "vulture." He eased his stance and took his hand off the pistol.

"Look," he said. "It's been a long, hot day. Tensions are high. I just hate to see folks get hurt." He stepped back and regarded each of the three figures that stood before him. "Maybe we can start again? Folks call me Mossman. I think this young lady is a runaway, and I aim to help her stay a runaway. Do either of you have any food or water you can spare?"

He turned to the "vulture". "Any clean water?"

Dr. Idle, I saw in the OOC thread that you and QuantumNinja were talking about someone else having Jackie's supplies. I nominate Lloyd, since it'll cement his goodwill in Mossman's eyes.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed

As she watches the scene unfold, she visibly calms. Her hand never leaves her gun, though. When the ghoul speaks again, though, her eyes tear a little. She tries to speak, but the sound is hoarse.

"They t-t-took me---the s-slavers. But I... I g-g-got away." She blinks the tears away, taking a moment to collect herself. "I n-n-need h-help. It's hot, and I n-need f-f-food."

She looks at each of the men helplessly; in her state, she'd have to kill them to stop them, and taking lives that didn't deserve it seemed wrong, even in her delirium. "And m-m-maybe we d-don't have to k-kill each other for it. D-do y'all have n-n-names?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

As things seem like they may not devolve into violence Therax, slowly, shuffles toward the group. Trying to avoid any threatening gestures or motions. He doesn't get too close, trying to avoid revealing the extend of his shape. As he gets as close as he intends he squats a bit, concealing a bit of his height, and trying to keep a nonthreatening stance. Looking at Sahen he speaks, in a guttural, growling, voice that sounds far too much like the deepest nightmares of man and beast. "Uioae?"

If the man was truly an Uioae then he might be the Wanderer that Therax had been seeking. Then again any of these people could be. Again he speaks in a voice that can't really be soothing, in a voice that likely triggers the flight or pee in terror reflex of the reptile hindbrain. "I ... Therax."

Hah and you thought Sahen was not charismatic, Therax has a Charisma of 1, the max he could ever have would have been 3. He has about average intelligence for a person, but could probably speak perfectly with an Int 1 grunter.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

The situation was disarming, that was good. He returns the ax to its sling and turns to the shaking woman, trying to get a clearer picture in the glaring sun. She was tall for as she was, and even through the shuttering and the faintness, a certain toughness bore through. The heat and bugs and the very earth itself would have claimed a lesser person by this time, but she wore on.

Ignoring the others for the moment, he reaches into the bag by his side, producing a slightly stained scrap of cloth, and a small hide flask of stream water. Slightly less irradiated, but not by much. Pouring a bit onto the rag, Sahen balls it and unfurls it, soaking it damp with cool water.

"You're still sweating... this is good, De-hydrashon does not have you fully, yet... How long have you been out here?" He wipes the damp cloth across the woman's forehead, trying to clear the dirt and grime to spot any other injuries. Her limp was slightly stronger than what pure fatigue would bear, there was more to this story than poor logistics.

"Water will help you for now, food can come later. If you do not find shade, though, this sun will be the death of you." Sahen drops the cloth into her hands, and scans the surroundings for a shaded area.

His focus draws back out as the large figure approaches and addresses him. Sahen stands for a moment, unsure what to say.

"Yes? ..." He poses, pausing for a moment to look the creature in the eyes, unsure whether the blackness was looking back at him. "Ya'at'ééh naʼashǫ́ʼii... Are you lost? ... Who is your tribesman?"

Though the map seems to depict everything as a blasted desert, I'd hope that after hundreds of years at least some parts of Tennessee would be overgrown and shady. Sahen is looking for anywhere nearby that might be out of the sun, and you know what, for kicks, I'm going to make a Doctor roll to see if he can determine any specific wounds from the very casual inspection. No attempt to treat, just trying to evaluate the sitation.

Doctor: 57: 1d100 63

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2013 around 04:25

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax looks back into Sahen's eyes, though it may be hard to tell, and responds, again with that terrifying voice. "Lost?...No. Seeking...adventure. Find..a...new..Wanderer. Travel the...wastes."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

"Name's Lloyd, and the big fella's right. Here, come on back to that wreck over there - I got a bag, some spare supplies the vultures from Vault Town didn't get to win offa me. Least I can do for someone in your state, though the water ain't much better than his", he said, pointing at the ghoul.

He noticed the big tribal talking to... a dude in a robe? Maybe a big tribal like him?

"You guys know each other? drat, it must be hot as hell in that. Whew!"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


GM Notes
@Went to Hell - thanks! In the midst of trying to find a better mapping solution, I found some sweet tiles and I'm still determined to actually get the game mapper running. As far as Jolinaxas having the extra supplies, yeah that's fine.

----

Sahen
Looking at the young woman, you are not able to diagnose any medical issues without making a detailed inspection. What you notice is apparent, minor lacerations that have become caked with dry blood, bruises and swelling in some locations as well as early signs of dehydration and malnutrition. Anything further, you would need to sit down with her for sometime. All in all, you do not believe she is too injured, mainly just suffering from exhaustion and a lack of food and water.

----

Group
Not visible on my crude map
The dilapidated remains of a highway are a welcome retreat from the grueling heat of the sun. A light breeze rolls through as you rest under the overpass and continue to exchange introductions.

All around you, for the most part is barren, arid soil, but the occasional patch of grass and mutated plant life is apparent along the ruins of the highway. Tennessee had a variety of terrains that you had all seen in your travels ranging from lush green pastures like something out of a pre-war picture to irradiated blackened pits of cracked earth from where nuclear bombs had wiped the slate clean nearly two hundred years prior. This leg of the trip north was arduous certainly, but nothing unexpected. With some effort, you might even find wild game to hunt or vegetation suitable for consumption.

----

<-- I'll allow you all to wrap up introductions, mainly to see if Therax/Sahen reveal what Therax is lol, also it gives you all a chance to discuss a plan or course of action. I anticipate that you all might have your own agendas which you can state at anytime and I'll work them into the plot line. For now though, where are you all headed? and do you band together? I'll get a new map up when this "scene" is done, or if some type of interaction occurs. -->

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

"Sun's settin'. It'll be dark out soon. This place is as good as any to make camp for the night."

A small fire was kindled. Food and water were consumed. Names were exchanged.

After everyone was settled in, and the young Jackie's condition had been ascertained, Mossman sat down to his work. He pulled an oily handkerchief from his breast pocket and laid it flat on the ground. Then he pulled out his pistol, ejected the magazine, and laid the dusty, beat-up old gun on the handkerchief. He took a small pouch off his belt and pulled several delicate looking tools out of it.

Rolling repair to see if I can improve my gun's condition:

Repair 40 (base) + 10 (gear) = 50%: 1d100 = 07

That's a success, which I believe means I empty two boxes on the condition track. It's also technically a critical success, but I don't know if that means anything when repairing items.


Quickly, yet methodically, he disassembled the gun and took to cleaning it. The slide was still working fine, and the springs were in surprisingly good condition. The cheap, plastic grips were cracked, and he might need to replace them entirely. For now, duct tape would suffice. He engaged the others in conversation as he worked.

"I was just on my way to Johnnyville," he said. "Haven't been out there in a while. I'm hopin' to find some work." He cast his eye around the camp. "We can go to Nashville from there, which I figure is where most of you are headed. There's safety in numbers, an' all that."

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Yep, 2 boxes removed. No crit on repairs though, drat good roll however. May your gun fire, just as easily as you repaired it!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed

Her face now clean from the damp rag, Jackie was relaxing against one of the old, cool concrete columns as the sun sinks through the sky. That man, Lloyd, who she had at first mistaken for the caravan guardian, had even given her a small supply of rations (which she had paid Mossman back out of). Getting him to accept it was no easy task: it wasn't until she insisted it as repayment for saving her life that he took the water. She hadn't eaten while they did; the man who seemed to know his way around a medical bag had suggested she sip water slowly until her mouth wasn't dry, but that food could make her vomit and undo all of that hard work. So she had worked down another of her bottles of water over the last few hours.

She sighed, trying not to think about the number of times she had escaped death the last few days while watching Mossman clean his weapon and . Of all the bad happening to her lately, finding a well-kept pistol on the slaver's caravan seemed a blessing. She had some dangerous work to do if she was going to seek out vengeance, and the task made her pensive. When Mossman spoke of a next move, she thought of traveling the waste alone again and decided to speak up. "I've got me some family out Jhonnyville way, ain't seen 'em in a spell. An' I have some, ah, business to see ta in New Nashville, so it'd suit me jus' fine."

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Jun 4, 2013 around 20:43

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax knows, and agrees, that it is safer to travel in packs. But more than anything these travelers might be the Wanderer that he looks for, the lead to an adventure that makes the world a better place. So he might as well follow along. Though he does not believe most of them are ready to see what he looks like.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


The night air is surprisingly cool and refreshing. A welcome contrast to the intense heat of a Tennessee day in early July. Having decided to take up camp for the night, you were all able to get better acquainted with one another. Though some of you kept to yourselves. Perhaps, unable to communicate with ease. Regardless, a person that didn't outright try to hurt or use you was hard to come by in these wastes and either by a process of logic or genuine enthusiasm, you felt safe among each other.

You arrange a sleeping shift so that 3 of you could rest at any time. Around 4 in the morning, the sound of gunfire is heard coming just north along the highway.

Take any non-combat actions you want. Certain skill checks could potentially reveal more.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen arranges for himself and the large one to keep watch in the darkest part of the morning, while the others would be fast asleep. The grand lot of them seemed to have designs on heading north, first to Jhonnyville, then to Neo-Nash. This was a good trail to follow, usually devoid of the serious raiders that wreaked havok on the wealthy caravans running to and from Vault Town.

Waiting for the others to go under for the night, he shifts the fire embers down, to conceal their location from the horizon and motions over to the cloaked figure sitting pensively on a rock just outside the firelight. He pulls Therax aside, moving just out of view behind the crumbling highway.

"I've not seen a danawa digahali outside the walls but for war or hunting, and there is neither here... That patchwork is Uioae, I think." He gestures to the large burlap robe "Are you with tribe? What has brought you here?"

Sahen passes some of the time trying to form a picture of why a non feral deathclaw is wandering the wastes with no pack and no party... and speaking. This conversing goes on for some time before the shots are heard, Sahen turning quickly to look north on the horizon, trying to spot any telltale flashes of light. Although he lived with in Tecumseh for the better part of his life, he was not a hunter, so his senses in the wastes were limited.


Scanning the horizon: Outdoorsman 26: 1d100 97 Pffffthahahaha

Since there is not really a google translate for Cherokee, I hope nobody minds if I jury rig or outright fabricate some things. For Ryuujin's benefit, danawa digahali means 'War Lizard' in actual Cherokee.

Over the course of the conversation, Sahen asks Therax the stated questions, along with why he can speak, where he came from, and what his intentions are.

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

Mossman awoke slowly when the fighting broke out. He drew his pistol and moved to wake the others, but could tell that everyone was already awake. He looked to Sahen and Therax and motioned for them to follow him. He carefully crept north to assess the threat.

Rolling Perception to figure out how many people are fighting, and maybe see who they are. I roll 1d10 for that, right?

Perception = 8: 1d10 = 6

Sneak = 19 (Base) + whatever I can squeeze out of you for environment, 'cause I'm gonna need it (nighttime, targets are distracted, distance)!: 1d100 = 22


Mossman moved carefully up the ramp to get onto the highway. Some debris came loose underneath his boots, but he didn't think it would be enough to give away his presence. The people he was investigating were clearly preoccupied.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax answers Sahen to the best of his ability, though tries to avoid having any part of his body revealed to others, of course they may wish to stay away from him due to his rather frightening voice anyways.

"From...danawa digahali Xarn..intelligent. Traveled...mate...many..many. I born. Stories...Wanderer and...Goris." Then he points to himself, "Therax...adventure...seek new...Wanderer. Travel..help."

With the sudden noise he too strains his senses and seeks to find the source. However where Sahen did not really have the skills of a hunter common to his kind Therax did. Then he quietly follows Mossman, once more outdoing the first to try something. Higher learning is a bit beyond him, even with his enhanced intelligence, and social interaction is more or less foreign to him, but the skills of a hunter come naturally to him.


Scanning the Horizon: Outdoorsman 42: 1d100 11 yeah.

Sneak 60: 1d100 20, yeah again

Perception 5 1d10 2, seriously

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2013 around 04:52

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

"Eh, Nash is as good a place as any, I guess. I'm not really one for stickin' around too long at any one place."

Lloyd spent the rest of the night before turning in watching the fire and talking the ear off of anyone foolish enough to listen.

It was still night, for the most part, when he heard the shots. He snapped to attention and took out his binoculars.

Perception: 1d10 3
Outdoorsman (54): 1d100 91

Edit: His PER is 6 - forgot to note that on the orokos roll.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2013 around 05:00

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen listens to Therax's garbled spiel for a while, not picking much up as the lizard chews through it's words. While it was obvious the deathclaw was more than just a common cave dweller, his language abilities were in need of assistance. Ultimately, though, Sahen was able to glean that he was not of tribe, and of good intentions.

Once the telltale crack of bullets tore out through the night, Sahen spun around in random directions, trying to ascertain the source. He barely managed to determine the direction, north, and narrowed his eyes towards the twisting spine of the toppled highway. By the time he'd even spotted a flash in the distance, the ghoul was on the pavement, clinging to what cover he could as he ascended the ramp, ancient asphalt crumbling under his boots, and the others were stirring.

Seeing that the large one was in close pursuit, narrowly even avoiding his notice with a silent tread, Sahen drew his ax and gave chase, not quite even attempting to stay silent, figuring the hard cover of night would keep him from view as he strode to the nearest wreck of a vehicle. He calls out to the two closer to the action.

"What is it you see?"

Perceive Threats, know well your enemy: PE 7: 1d10 4

Oh good, I thought Orokos was beginning to hate me

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed

Jackie Reed is sleeping, but the gunfire jolts her awake. Disoriented for a moment, she holds her breathe before her brain kicks in an explains the situation. She hooks a thumb around her pistol's grip, moving to crouch next to the man named Lloyd, gazing into the dark and trying to be invisible.

"Do you see them?"

Sneak (55) 79 I hope someone doesn't see me!
Perception, looking for enemies, PE: 7 (1d10) 6

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


GM Notes
Checks for non-humans will be a die of their racial maximum for relevant attribute checks. This is mainly because Orokos will let you roll things like 1d9 or 1d17, but I think that would make the most sense, I'm up for discussing this though. It is not a rule I've ever implemented, mainly because I've never run it online. Just let me know your thoughts on it I guess.

For now though, the rolls you've made are fine.

----

Group
The sound of gunfire is enough to put you all on high alert as each of you do your best to make out what events were transpiring just north of your campsite. Skulking through the darkness of the night you eventually come to a collapsed section of the large overpass and hide against and around rubble to see if you can get a good view at what was going on.

Lloyd Rourke retrieves his binoculars while pressed against a large segment of debris from the overpass. He kneels out to scout the area with his binoculars.

A group of three men in dirty business wear stand over a pile of corpses, two of the men are armed. The corpses are pretty torn apart from what looks to be a sawed-off shotgun and an assault rifle. A man in the middle somewhat smaller than the other two, slicks back his hair with a retractable comb before taking out a cigarette and a book of matches.

As he fumbles with the match, you hear a rustling overhead as the support pillar Jackie Reed was pressed against begins to shift causing concrete and asphalt to fall to the ground.

One of the men looks over and says something.

while the man in the middle draws a pistol from his coat and the other two check the chambers of their weapons.

It looks like they arrived in a beat up truck.

----

Lloyd notices: That the recently deceased are bound and the gunfight would appear to be an execution.

----

Everyone notices: The described scene, Lloyd only sees the additional details because of the binoculars.

----

I'll get a map up tomorrow. Busy day.

----

The Andrews Sisters - Chattanooga Choo Choo

Doctor Idle fucked around with this message at Jun 7, 2013 around 03:56

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

Lloyd gasps a little as he looks through his binoculars. After a small survey of the scene, he lets them fall back to his chest, turning to Jackie.

"Yeah, I see 'em all right. And that - that's not a gun fight, that's a gun slaughter. Those poor bastards on the ground didn't even have the chance to run from that heavy hardware they're carryin'. Makes you wonder why they brought it..."

He sighs, taking the brass knuckles out of his jacket, and looking down at them.

"The hell we gonna deal with this?"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Current Map


Didn't forget about you all, just been busy yet again. Busy, busy.

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

Mossman frowned. "Looks like they heard us. They're pretty far off, so maybe we can give 'em the slip. Once we're made, though, they'll probably chase us down on that truck of theirs."

He turned to the others. "They're outnumbered, but we're outgunned. If we're gonna fight, we need to get the drop on 'em. We'll be sittin' ducks out there in the open. We gotta let 'em come to us!"

He hissed over to Rourke: "Hey! Can you distract them? See if you can draw them in?"

I intend to focus my fire on the guy with the sawed-off shotgun first. Once he gets within 15 meters (about 50 feet), I'd like to shoot at him with my pistol. We take him out first, so the melee players can more safely close with the enemy. Then we take out the rifleman and see if we can get some answers from the guy with the pistol.

How much cover do we have? Is there any rubble between us and the enemy that we can take advantage of?

Edit: Of course, this is only my proposed plan. If you guys think your characters would react differently to the situation, don't worry, I'll play along.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen peers over the odd scene, slinging his ax up over his shoulder and standing from his hiding place. An odd look crosses his face, and he takes a few plodding steps forward from the darkness before slumping into a casual stride, boots kicking dust from the ground as he whistles an old tribal tune.

Passing a half cocked salute from the brim of a nonexistent hat, Sahen wanders in a slight arc around the men, setting a course for the bodies.

"Evening gentlemen... This a present for me?" He gestures the heavy head of his ax at the corpses, putting a hungered look in his eyes. "Very neighborly of you... ... Wish there was something I could give in return..."

He sits heavy on his pauses, never quite looking the men in the eyes. Stopping to stand beside the large, riddled corpse of a mutant, he drops the ax head to the ground, leaning on the handle like a cane and eyeing the bodies judgmentally.

Trait: Good Natured.

Approach with a disarming attitude. Hoping they won't shoot first because, really, who do these men have to answer too out here?

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at Jun 8, 2013 around 08:26

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed

When the wall collapsed, Jackie almost lets out a yell but caught it at the last minute, cursing under her breath instead. "poo poo, poo poo, poo poo!"

Her eyes move apologetically to Lloyd's as he explains the situation, and squares her jaw when he mentions the guns. This might be her fault, but she sure wasn't going to let these men die for it. So when Mossman asks Rourke for a distraction, she answered in a hiss. "I'll do tha distraction. My fault, anyway, wasn't it??"

Jackie checks her pistol, working the slide to chamber a round. With a deep breath, she starts to move to get the strangers' attention when---wait, what is Sahen doing out there with an axe? She pauses, peeking out at the scene, gun in hand, and whispers to Mossman, "Well, it looks someone beat me to it."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

No idea what Sahen's plan is, but out of curiosity how many hexes would one have to travel to get up to the gunmen? 800 ft away it looks like, or maybe 800 ft between the two images?

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


I'll get a post up tomorrow. Just checking in!

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


@Mossman - In the 800ft. between you and the group of gun men is a section of cover from a dusted bluff about mid-way along the path and there are three ruined vehicles along the remnants of an old highway that could make impromptu cover.

@Therax - The nearest gunman is 158 hexes away, they have turned to investigate the noise, but appear to be more wary of what "could" be there, than what is. You all aren't given away, but instead, the debris falling from the overpass was enough to grab their attention.

Since Sahen has already advanced, you all take cover 40 or so hexes away behind the bluffa

----

Sahen
The men stare at you in disbelief when you start your approach, whistling a gem from another time.

"You stay right where I can see you." Says one of the men in blue.

The man in black puts his gun away in his coat before letting out a small laugh.

"The freak is a cannibal, look at 'im. Tribal kind." the man in black says, meticulously slicking back his oily black hair yet again.

"You want a bite biggun'? Have at it you sad sonnuva' bitch. Don't waste no bullets on this lump. We've got a long night of driving ahead of us."

"But... but... boss, what if'n he saw something."

"Of course he saw something ya' mook, we got the guns, and they got the bullet holes, but who gives a drat out here."

The men talk about you as if you weren't there, but the leader of the group seems to have little concern to your presence and regards you with mocking hostility.

----

As far as the scene goes, Sahen has approached them but they didn't immediately put holes in him, because the group leader has decided that he is merely a wasteland cannibal. Sadly, a common occurence in the open wastes. The rest of you, using Sahen's engagement as a distraction, advance ahead along the path taking cover behind a bluff just west of the highway.

If, for some reason, a fight does start. You all can sprint to an appropriate range or hang back.

----

<--- Map up after work today --->

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sahen
Looking at the bodies. You see a child, a woman, a ghoul and a super mutant. They were all bound and gagged. You can make out an emblem on their tattered clothing that says 'UNITY' with a crude depiction of two shaking hands.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen raises his chin back, a mismatched and unpleasant smile cutting across his face. Whether it was all an act, or genuine from the sensation of not being full of #2 buck, who knows. He hikes the ax up over his shoulder, poising it for a strike.

"Wah doe, u'ne'go'tsoduh. Hia golahiga is fortunate, so rare to find generosity in such trying times." The blade falls hard on the mutants shoulder, making an oddly dull and unsatisfying wet thunk as it digs into the flesh, stopping just at the bone.

"Meat is fresh, is best not to waste... Enough waste before us... Enough behind us." Sahen idly comments between thwacks, listening as the men converse, trying to hold their attention as much to his macabre display as possible.

A second swing elicits a more... satisfying crack, echoing lightly over the the empty expanse as the mutant's bone gives way. The cracked ground beneath Sahen's boots pools quickly with sickly colored blood as he brings one final strike down on the corpse, tearing slightly at the torso, and snapping the final strands of muscle and tendon holding the weighty arm to the body. The arm rolls free to his feet, spraying his apron with a small stream of blood. He puts his boot atop the limp limb, and as he cracks his neck in circles, someone more perceptive might note that he seems to be gesturing a wide arc around the men.

"Wishes for the best my friends, may the night be yours. Unless you'd like a favor from me..." Sahen wipes some of the blood from his apron, smearing it before rubbing his forehead, leaving a wide brackish trackmark. "You'd might like to go. Shame, it would, to dirty such fine clothes."

IN 8: 1d10 7 : Attempt to hold their attention to himself, making a disgusting display

Cherokee: Thank you, evil men(with a blackness of soul, evil). The winter-eater(cannibal) -/-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sorry, I failed to get the map up tonight. I'll honestly be busy until Wednesday with work, moving preparations and other life bs. Get any actions you want to try and take in, noncombat, conversational, and otherwise before then. I'll get the map up and response Wednesday night.

  • Locked thread
«60 »