Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«60 »
  • Locked thread
SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen fumbled with the needle in his hands, capitalizing on any stable moment to thread another loop. He nearly toppled end over end as the truck tires smacked through another patch of holes, dropping the tiny metal piece into the makeshift wrapping of torn cloth.

"Hopeless. This is not proper conditions for medicine."

His back slammed against the truck bed wall, defeated, and he reached for the half torn open bag of tobacco.

"Here. Can do better when we are in town. Solid ground, a bed, light. Maybe more supplies."

After a few idle minutes, the road seemed to smooth out. Not wanting to leave a needle and thread hanging from the woman's skin, he set back to work, making three more loops before tying and cutting the thread.

"Should stop the bleeding, keep skin together. Will remove the patch when we are in Johnny's Ville."


We're already on the road, but I'd like to have broken down the clothes from the rest of the dead bodies into raw cloth material pg. 58

How much I get or if I even get any is up to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


GM Notes
I'm going to revise driving, because even if you were inept driver, you could traverse long distances without much trouble, especially in dried out fields with sparse vegetation. Anyhow, I'll put my thinking cap on for that and then post my revisions in the OOC to get your take on it. Mainly I'll just be increasing the number of miles you can travel in a day with a vehicle, on foot seems a bit more accurate, but I'll look at that too.

----

Group
The ride was rough in spots from the terrain you traveled across, but otherwise smooth. You didn't see anything out of the ordinary in your journey to Johnnyville, but you all feel a bit thirsty and peckish, with the exception of Lloyd who had made a meal out of Brahmin Jerky and Irradiated Water before you took off.

'That was Ray Price with "Crazy Arms" and we're back with Chet Bartleton as he recalls his encounter with a Rat God.'
'So Chet, you're telling me that the giant rat spoke to you?! Sure you hadn't had too much moonshine?'
'No Mack, I swear it. I swear it on my Pa's grave, that this giant molerat just stared me in my eyes with its lil' beady red ones and said "CHET! BOW BEFORE THE RAT GOD".'
Elam Mack lets out a gut-rumblin' laugh.
'It's the truth Mack! Ha-ha! Now, me bein' the kinda man that I am. I got ta' shiverin' and I thought. Well, I've finally lost it. All that wild radroach meat or somethin'. Anyhow, I'm shiverin' just standing there in this cave with this Giant Rat and I start to inch on out of there, when all these other rats come outta' the wood work.'
'So, what happened? Did the Rat God make you a humble slave.'
'No sir. It wasn't going to have a chance to, because I got out a stick of dynamite, like thissun' here.'
'Whoa! Whoa, put that away!'
'No worries, I'm a professional, anyways, I got a stick of dynamite an' I-I threw it right at that big ol' rats head and hightailed it right on out of there. That was the last time I went rootin' around in old Clarence Waters cave. Ain't no treasure worth dealing with talking God rats.'
'Haha, I hear that Chet. Well it has been a pleasure, and I sure do appreciate you coming in to close out the morning with me. We're going to take a quick break, but then I'll be back with you. Elam Mack, your host and Tennessean brother.'
'Do you find yourself itching more than usual? Any extra appendages or body parts seem to just sprung up overnight? Find that you have a subtle glow about you? RadAway, saving you from permanent and possibly life ending mutation, one dose at a time. The answer is RadAway. (from the creators of Rad-X!)'

----

Stats
Lloyd Rourke: +5 Rads, Thirst Satisfied, Hunger Satisfied, Rested.
Jackie Reed: +2 Rads, Slightly Thirsty, Slightly Hungry, Moderately Wounded, but Rested.
Mossman: Rads, Slightly Thirsty, Slightly Hungry, Rested.
Therax: Slightly Thirsty, Slightly Hungry, Rested.
Sahen: +2 Rads, Slightly Thirsty, Slightly Hungry, Rested.

----

Sahen
After closing Jackie's wound enough so that she would atleast be ok to travel, you set to taking apart the clothing worn by the men to make component parts.

Received
Tattered, dirty cloth (6 textile components)
Leather Scraps (1 Brahmin Hide)

----

Jackie Reed
With the grace of one-armed Yao Guai, you manage to roll yourself a cigarette to take your mind off the pain.

----

Johnnyville
Time: 11:20 AM
You pull up outside of Johnnyville and park your truck in an open lot. The sun was beaming down on you all with small gusts of wind occasionally whipping through offering an all too refreshing breeze.

Exiting the vehicle, you head into the main of town and are walking past a general goods store. A man is on a ladder with a rusted bucket of nails and a hammer doing some maintenance on the sign, when he calls out to you all.

"Well, call me a Brahmin's uncle! If it isn't little Jackie all grown up, with a rather "diverse" group of friends. What's it been? 5-6 Years now?!"

He climbs down the ladder and walks over to you all. It was Pete Lackis, he had run the general goods store for many years now and was well on in years. He looked to be in his late 60's and walked with a slight limp. He was in worn, faded blue overalls. Taking out a rag from his pocket, he wipes his hands and moves in to greet you all.

"Now, y'know your folks are going to want to see you, Jackson. So you better head on home before too long. What about you all, what brings you here? I reckon, I've seen a couple of you before."

----

The town itself is a small town with a population of about 500. There are scattered farmsteads and a small trader's market for travelers. The town is somewhat of a commune with all the farmers contributing to the town's well being. There was a small citizens militia that addressed threats to the town, but other than that they were unpoliced. They governed and protected themselves and made decisions by a council vote when the need arose.

Just tell me what you want to do and I'll get you in the right direction, I'll get a town map up tonight and QuantumNinja, if you want to add to what is in your small hometown, feel free!

Doctor Idle fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2013 around 15:26

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]




Sorry for the simple map, I fiddled around with Fallout 2 Mapper again for a couple hours trying to work and ended up just wasting my time and getting frustrated. I'll do the whole town layout similar to that, but this is where you're at. I'll still be using maptool and the sprites for combat and special interaction though.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
HP: 20/30 Load: 7/150

"Oh, Mista' Lackis, you know I'm headin' straight there. Just stopped in for a spell, travelin' to Nashville with these folk. How's Mary doin'? Give her my regards."

Jackie jumped down from the truck bed, taking a final drag off her cigarette before crushing it under her heel. The pain in her arm had finally gone away. Looking back at her traveling companions, she gave them a tired smile. "I'll see y'all this evenin' for drinks an' dinner in tha hotel?"

She set off south toward the old farm, maybe a mile down the road. It'd be a 20-minute walk, but she could use the time to collect herself; there'd be a lot of emotions in the air in not too long. And maybe they'd had enough food and water to give her a lunch...

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Jul 6, 2013 around 07:07

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

Mossman nodded respectfully towards Mr. Lackis. The general store owner was a good man, true to his word, and a tough negotiator. Mossman had done some repairs for him in the past.

"How do you do, Mr. Lackis. I hope everything is well with you and yours. You haven't forgotten old Mossman, have you now?" Mossman smiled very carefully, on account of how he didn't have a lot of lip left on his gums. If he smiled too widely, he usually ended up looking like a snarling hound.

"My companions and I were on our way to Nashville, and we decided to stop by to see if anyone needed our help. By the way-"

Mossman reached into his breast pocket and retrieved the Unity symbol he'd tucked away in there.

"Do you know if those Unity folks have a place here in town? I'm afraid I have some bad news for them."

---------

After his conversation with Mr. Lackis, Mossman walked over to the food stand, eyeing the produce that was available. He bought a slice of rat meat pie for 6 caps, and folded it into a napkin. He asked the proprietor if there was anything interesting happening in town, or if they knew of any specialized equipment in town that needed tending.

--------

Mossman went back to the truck, hopped onto the truck bed and set the slice of pie down on the bed. He took out his tools and set to work fixing some of the weapons he and his companions had gotten their hands on. He munched on the pie absent-mindedly while he worked, and washed it down with one of his water bottles.


-6 Caps, +1 Slice of Rat Pie. -1 Slice of Rat Pie, -1 Water Bottle.

I'll spend an hour repairing two items: The Desert Eagle and the Tommy Gun

Repair Desert Eagle = 40 (Base) + 10 (Equipment) = 50%: 1d100 = 28, a success for two boxes removed. The Desert Eagle should now be at 50% condition (-10 to attacks).

Repair Tommy Gun = 40 (Base) + 10 (Equipment) = 50% 1d100 = 69, a failure. The Tommy Gun remains at 40% condition (-20 to attacks).

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

Sahen slowly inches off the truck bed, dropping to the dirt with a dusty thud. He grabbed for the drat near empty bag of his, stuffing it with torn cloth and trodding over to the assembly at the town's edge.

"Good morning Peter. Still have problem with the leg?" He sighed, and rolled his eyes across the ground. "Apologies again, there was little to be done. Too broken."

Sucking in a chestful of air, he shuffled aside, looking back over his traveling group.

"Is... hmm... What was name, her name. The doctor woman, in town. I seem to have forgotten, is she still here? Doing well?"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
The walk through Johnnyville cues several moments of nostalgia and relief starts to sink in for the first time in days as your worries drift away. You were only moments away from being a slave or worse, dying of heat exhaustion and dehydration, but somehow, against all odds, you've made it back home after 6 long years.

You walk onto the old wooden porch and knock on the door. Your father's voice booming down the hallway.

"Hold on a sec', I'll be right there."

He opens the door and his unlit cigarette tumbles out of his mouth, "Jackson Reed, get in here and give your Pa a hug." He pulls you in before you have a chance to move and wraps his arms around you.

"W-who is it d-dear?"

You can hear your mother's voice coming from down living room, but something doesn't seem right.

"It's our baby girl honey! Come on in Jackie."

You walk into the living room with your father and see your mother in her rocking chair with a blanket over lap. She looks a little pale, but manages a weak smile.

"My little girl has come home. Let me get you something to eat, you look thin."

She starts to get up from the chair but begins to struggle and your father helps her back down.

"I'll get it hon' you just rest. Jackson, come join me in the kitchen."

He runs you a glass of water and begins to heat up a slab of Brahmin meat on the stove.

"It's some kind of radiation induced fever. I know it's what you're wandering. Susan, treats her once a month with RadAway down at her office and has capsuled us some immune boosting medicine, but she needs a surgery that Susan isn't equipped to perform and I don't know if she can make the trip to Nashville so easily. Susan would be able to tell your more, but... she's not doing so well Jackie. She took ill last harvesting season and I've been taking care of her since. Your sister still helps when she can, but she's moved out and joined up with Unity. We sold most of the cattle and sent 2 to pasture so we could have meat enough to get us to winter. Bess and Hart are still out there though. Just enough so that I can do the work."

He brings you a fresh cut Brahmin steak, maize and some yucca fruit before refilling your water.

"So, what about you. Looks like you've been through hell and back."

(You've healed 5 HP in the hours that have passed)

-----

Mossman
"After you got my generator back running, ain't no way I could forget my friend Mossman. Now what can I do you for?"

He pushes up his glasses on his nose as he takes the Unity patch you've withdrawn.

"Y'know. I think Chris Reed works with them, sister to that girl you're traveling with. They have a small outpost by the shanty homes just at the southern outskirts of town. They seem to mean well, but I don't know if their idea of peace can work in this day and age." says Mr. Lackis before handing you the patch back.

"Hope that helps! You let ol' Pete know if ya' need anything else."

--

"Thank you for your patronage." says the food vendor who wraps you up a nice minced rat pie.

"Hmm, well you might head down to the Bulletin Board at the town hall or check in with Harold Dawkins. He heads the militia and runs the Johnnyville Inn just across the way. He'd be able to let you know what needed fixin' round these parts."

--

You retreat to the truck to work and manage to clean and reshape some of the parts on the Desert Eagle with your tools.

You're not so fortunate in repairing the Tommy Gun and put it aside for the time being.
(You can roll against your small guns to try and remove one box in lieu of the failed repair check.)

-----

Sahen
"Oh, don't sweat it Sahen. When I broke that leg falling off that ladder, it put a few things in perspective and made me a more cautious man. I'm not the spring Cockstrich I used to be afterall." he says with a grin before pointing at some rail guards he built on to the ladder to help him with his work. "It's no safety net, but at least I'll have something to catch hold of if I fall again ha-ha!"

"Oh, Susan Perkins, yeah she came by earlier for a junk distiller, said the water wasn't clean enough at the clinic. She should be around her somewhere, if not at her office I'd check Ruth Ann's diner just down the road."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax holds back from the interactions. It seems as if a number of them may have been here before. And well Therax knows how most react to his appearance. So he stays with the vehicle, unless someone needs his strength.

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

12:20pm

His appetite sated, Mossman stowed the weapons away safely in the truck, and caught up with Sahen, Therax and Rourke.

"Just wanted to let you know, I'm heading to the outskirts of town to let those Unity folks know about the bodies we found." He sucked air through his teeth. "Ain't no pleasure in bein' the bearer of bad news. You're welcome to join me, if you're so inclined." He looked to Sahen. "I won't mention what you did to those bodies. They'll figure the axe-wounds were done by those killers we took out."

Mossman is a little uncomfortable with Sahen's apparently callous treatment of the Unity corpses, despite recognizing it as a ruse.

----------------------

12:30-ish?

When he got to the shanties at the outskirts of town, Mossman put up his guard. The dregs of Johnnyville's community tended to congregate in these parts, and Ghouls were still not welcome everywhere in town. He found a run-down shack built of corrugated metal and particle board, the Unity symbol crudely painted by the shack's entrance in white, runny paint. A threadbare tent made of canvas stood nearby, and through the open flap, Mossman glimpsed the bare feet of unfortunate souls. He walked into the shack and looked around.

"Hello?" he called. "Anyone home?"

Rolling Perception just to see if Mossman spots anything interesting in the area:

Perception (Base) = 8: 1d10 = 5, a success


Edited for redundancy

Went to Hell fucked around with this message at Jul 8, 2013 around 02:48

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


I'm going to do this in scenes; there is a lot to respond here to and I don't want to trivialize any of it.

Jackie Reed
HP: 25/30 Load: 7/150

Johnnyville seemed exactly like Jackie remembered it. Even with the new buildings, new immigrants, and new farms, it felt like old Johnnyville. And, even after six years, it felt like home. Even the porch was new---the old wood probably rotted by now---but her knock on the door echoed through the house just like she remembered. And the bear hug felt just like she remembered, too.

----------------

The sight of her mother broke Jackie's heart. She teared up, finally breaking down as the last straw came to rest on her back. Her father left them alone---small miracles, right? It took her several moments of pure sobbing on the couch to get the emotion out, even as her father beckons her from the kitchen. She took her mother in her arms, tears soaking her shawl. "I'm so sorry, Ma. So sorry I couldn't be here--give ya whatcha needed. I'm so, so, so sorry, mom..."

----------------

The tears still running, she appeared in the kitchen, sipping on the water and trying to collect herself as she listens. Finally, she looks her father in the eye and asks, "D'ya have somethin' stronger? This is a lot to take in an' I could use somethin' to soothe the pain of it all... "

After her second shot of whiskey, sipping on her third, she started in on the fresh Brahmin meat and well-cooked sides. It had taken her the better part of half an hour to stop crying, and even now she was only holding back the flood of emotion by keeping her mouth full in between sentences.

"Is there anythin' we can do for her? We're headin' to New Nashville, but if she won't make tha trip... Maybe we can get Susan the gear she needs? Is Ma... stable? Do they know what caused it?"

Jackie continued, "And what is Chris doing with those Unity hooligans? Surely she'd do better here, on the farm, than out in the world with a gun in her hand... Should I go see her? How is she doin'?"

Jackie hungrily ate down the fresh, warm food. It'd been weeks, and it wasn't like she ate well in New Nashville.

"I've been through... well, men try to take advantage of a pretty woman in a place like New Nashville. I had work as an enforcer, but someone seemed to think that was code for 'prostitute', and next thing I knew I was... I was... Well, I was in a bad way, traveling the waste alone with no food. But I'm better now, and I met some people that seem trustworthy enough by the end of it, so it isn't of too much concern."

Jackie was careful to conceal her proficiency with firearms---and the number of people she's had to kill in the waste. Her father once shot a man brahmin-rustling, so maybe he'd understand, but it didn't seem like it was worth getting into if it could be avoided.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Therax
You sit in the bed of the truck with only your thoughts to keep you company. The ghoul humanoid, Mossman had come back to repair some weapons and eat, but overall you were left to your solitude... that is, until a dirty young boy comes running up to the truck chasing after a ball that bounced against the sparsely patched soil. The ball rolls underneath the truck and at first you appear as "furniture" or something to the boy, but he stops in his tracks as he sees your robe move a bit.

"Uh... uh.... Mr.? I, could you get my ball from under your truck? or I could, get it y'know?"

----

Mossman
As the tent flap rustles open, and you walk past a wary looking group of nomads and impoverished Johnnyville citizens, you come to a curtained area where a man groans out in agony. You peer in and see a fiery looking woman who is maybe a handful of years younger than Jackie. You have no doubt that she is Chris Reed, the sister Pete Lackis mentioned. She has a dated looking auto-doc at the back of the tent hooked up to a decrepit generator that sparks every so often. A large needle is lowered into the man's arm and then she turns to him with some purified water and a couple of pain pills.

"G-g-gg-gg-GOD D-d-d-DAMNIT!! Hrrrnngghh!"

"Easy, easy... this is for the pain and this will help you kick your addiction. Right now you're going through dangerous withdrawal symptoms from a deadly combination of drugs. I've given you your first dose of fixer, but be sure to come back tomorrow for the secondary treatment. Here is a small supply of Jerky and water, also this map has other Unity locations marked in case you find you need assistance during your travels."

The man starts a disoriented shuffle from the tent before another nomad helps him as he is about to collapse.

You notice a picture of Chris standing beside the woman and boy who were gunned down just along that long stretch of highway. She looks younger in the photo.

"I haven't had a ghoul come through here in sometime, you look vaguely familiar though, not to sound offensive if'n I've never seen you before. The name is Christopher, but you can call me Chris. What can I do you for? You look to be much better off than this bunch."

----

Jackie Reed

"Now, now Jackie... this is ain't none of your doing and you know that. Life... life just comes at you, y'know? Now you go on, your Pa is fixin' ya something to eat and you know how impatient that man can get. I ain't goin' on no where yet. Still got plenty of fire in these old bones." your mother says reassuring you with a stronger smile than before.

---

You head into the kitchen and talk to your father over a few drinks of whiskey.

Temporary: +1 Str., +1 Cha., -1 int.

---

"Susan said something about a cell-based deoxy-scrubber, something or another, I couldn't tell you, but it's some piece of machinery that she made with some vault scientists before she rolled into town all them years ago. She said that it would be able to promote regrowth and neutralize mutated cells that have spread throughout her body, but with the heat and her struggle with mobility, even if there wasn't no raiders or beasts in between here and there, I don't think we could make it." The last bit is hard for your father to accept, and you can see that he is doing as best he can to keep it together.

"Chris... ah, after you left she took on several chores and duties until she was a woman grown and she wanted to be just like you, go out and see the wastes." he wrings his hands and lets out a light laugh. "I didn't get any sons, but I sure did get some fiery, opinionated daughters! Not that I mind it at all ha-ha."

"I want her here too, but I can do the work. If this world is ever going to turn a new leaf, to enter a new era of prosperity. It's going to take people like you and your sister to make it that way. I've done what I can here. Still do, but... when I look at you two, I know that you were both bound to make a difference."

When you mention the bit about being an enforcer and nearly forced into a life of prostitution, the blood in your father's face drains as if he saw a two-headed gecko waltz into the kitchen.

"Jackson Reed, I-" he pauses and squeezes his face together in displeasure before letting go of his concern, "I'm just glad you're alright and any friends of yours are friends of mine if they helped to look after my daughter in the wastes. We have plenty extra in case you and yours need a bite or a place to stay. I think your sister actually just got back into town from an expedition up north. She should be home sometime this evening."

You grow quiet as your father pours you a glass of water this time, "don't get dehydrated off all that whiskey," then he asks questions you had hoped he wouldn't, "So an enforcer, I reckon these wastes have hardened you haven't they? I hope my "iron" has served you well, speaking of, you still have that ol' revolver?"

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

"How do you do, Ms. Chris. My name is Mossman. If you have a moment, I brought some good news.. along with some bad ones."

Mossman told Chris of his meeting with her sister Jackie, and of the group's encounter with the three hired guns. He left out the details of the battle, specifically that Jackie had killed the two men, and that Sahen had mutilated Chris's friends' corpses to get the drop on the mobsters. He also left out Therax's true nature, and mentioned the Deathclaw as little as possible. He handed her the torn piece of fabric he'd been carrying.

"So there you have it, Ms. Chris. I'm sorry there wasn't anything we could've done to save your friends. I hope knowing that their deaths were avenged brings you some small comfort."

Mossman felt awful. He wasn't sure what came next in these situations. He looked to the AutoDoc in the corner. "Say," he said. "Is that an original Scalp-O-Matic 2000TM?"

He stalked over to the machine and inspected it carefully, from top to bottom. "This thing could really use a tune-up, huh?" He turned back to Chris. "Tell you what: Why don't I have a poke around in there, see if I can't get it running a little better? All I need in return is some food and water to take with me. Doesn't need to be clean food and water neither." He grinned. "I'm kinda used to it by now."

Spending an hour to repair the AutoDoc and the generator it's hooked up to. If they count as the same entity, just assume I'm spending an hour on fixing the whole thing.

Rolling to Repair the AutoDoc: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 56, a failure

Rolling to Repair the Generator: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 80, a failure


---------------------

1:30pm

Mossman spent the better part of an hour polishing, cleaning, buffing, duct-taping and lubricating whatever he could on the old AutoDoc, but time and the elements had taken their toll on the machine. He found Chris in the other room.

"Well," he said. "There's not much more I can do without some new parts: The actuator is pretty much shot, and the lenses will have to come out and be soaked in a special compound that'll restore the scratches. Removing the lenses is delicate work, and the motherboard is going to need a careful dusting as well." He sucked in air through his teeth. "I'm heading out to Neo-Nashville in a couple days. I'll keep an eye out for those parts while I'm there. They're probably gonna cost ya though."

Went to Hell fucked around with this message at Jul 9, 2013 around 06:23

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

"Still, should have done better. Not myself, not these days. Sun seems behind me now."

Sahen drops his axe in the truck bed casually, wiping his forehead in the heat of the sun and thanking the low plains for it's breezy disposition. As of late he'd felt less and less effective, as if age was wearing on him. The creeping smell of another old wasteland death behind him. It may have been the tone he'd left with Chattanooga, or boredom setting in. No longer having a personal practice, a doctor on the road, had put him in the dirt with simple bloodletters.

He was still picking dispassionately through his leather medical bag when the ghoul addressed him. He draws a breath, as if to say something, but as it stood he only muttered something incomprehensible to himself.

A few minutes passed before he looked up, trying to take in Johnnyville as his wearing memory recalled it. Smalls farming towns never stuck well in his mind. Just fevers and farming accidents to eat his time, rarely good news. Turning around, he noticed almost everyone had vacated to their own destinations. The lizard man was still huddled against the truck as he'd been for the past couple hours, though thankfully no one seemed to notice him there. His solemness worried Sahen to a degree, though he had no real expectations, his interaction with the tribe clans few and far between.

"If you need something..." He weighed on Therax's silence for a moment. "Never mind."

He set off to Doc Perkins' office, figuring the best use of his time would be bartering more supplies for his trip to Neo Nashville.

The over stacked shack leaned heavily on the general store. Built on the burned out structure of a pre war house, the first floor still had it's rustic flecks of clam white paint and crusted windows, though everything above was obviously thrown together with plyboard, rusty nails, and a mallet. With a light push, the door darn near fell open, creaking like the fell of a small tree.

"Doctor Susan?"

Sahen called out, looking around the sparsely arranged sitting room. He noticed the lamp on the table was off, maybe she was up at the diner as Peter had guessed, or maybe just upstairs napping. Doc Perkins was getting on in years herself, though not quite as much as he had, and it showed in the light disarray of old papers and cigarettes on the floor. Through the door opposite him, he spotted a number of aging, used medical equipment soaking in the sink; an old kitchen converted to an operating room.

Stepping over to the back room, he tried to bide his time taking in details, but the dust was thick in the beams of light fighting through the window.

Perception 7: 1d10 9

Trying to break the monotony, he hits the knob of the radio beside him.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Well what harm can there be in helping a child? Therax gets out of the vehicle, leans down close to the ground to spot the ball. Then with one robe concealed claw lifts the vehicle, and with the other robe concealed claw draws the ball free. Once the ball rolls out from under the vehicle he slowly lowers it again.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
HP: 25/30 Load: 7/150
I'm getting in on this soundtrack thing: Ain't No Grave

Jackie had hoped she could get out of the conversation, but as the afternoon wore on it became apparent that she wouldn't be leaving Johnnyville without having it. As she accepted the glass of water, she took a large gulp of the radiation-free liquid and steeled her resolve.

"Well, ya come by some skills, ya know? Killin' a man ain't easy, Pa, but sometime's it's them or me and there's only one real way to go with that choice..."

She got quiet for a while, looking at the table, thinking of the time she had shot a man in a New Nashville alley when he tried to surprise sex her. And how the police had let her off the hook, even though the one groped her while his partner wasn't looking, and how he had died all quiet-like in a bed with a knife in his belly. Her third victim had tried to rob the Antioch Casino---he had killed two patrons and a security guard before Jackie rounded the corner and put three slugs in his chest.

And the fourth was that slaver, the one who stuck his tongue in her ear and told her how much she'd go for in his little brothel in Bedford. He died easy from a bullet to the throat as he slept. Tears started to fill her eyes as she thought of the horrors she had seen in VaultTown, and the old feelings of hopelessness rose back up.

"The world's made me cold, Pa. I've... I've killed for safety, for freedom, for... Pa, I don't wanna recount the horrors I've faced in the waste. It's no conversation fit for a man an' his girl. And that Iron ya lent me---it's in New Nashville. I stashed it in a locker at the coach station there. Key's on my necklace."

Jackie pulled the twine braid out of her shirt. On it rested a small, unassuming key for a locker, numbered 13, and a small, brass locket that held pictures of her family. The slaver had taken them from her when he purchased her, but she had been careful to reclaim them before fleeing.

"I don't know 'bout makin' a difference. Most days, makin' a livin's hard enough. I've saved a life or three, but it ain't like I'm actually helpin' people."

She blinked her tears away, taking a gulp of water and suddenly smiling up at him.

"And you know drat well I ain't takin' more of your food. That's why I left in the first place. You still smoke, 'ough? I'd take one. Now what time'll Chrissy be around? I have a dinner appointment with my friends."

Edit: Retcon history because Jackie has probably killed way more than four people given her firearm skills.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2013 around 18:52

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

After the old truck had stopped and the others had parted ways, Lloyd came to the realization that, as much as he wandered, he hadn't actually come upon this place too often. He barely remembered the layout, let alone the people.

Jingling the pocket of his new suit, he remembered that he had maybe ten or so caps left, and was content to wander around the small-town market, having a look at what was on offer. Maybe he could find some cheap cigarettes, or another pair of sunglasses. The last pair had snapped right in half when the rotted beams of an old general store had given way and slammed him on his face.

The scavenging business was for suckers, it was.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


GM Notes
Sorry about not posting yesterday, got home late and was in no condition to do stuff outside of going to bed.

----

Mossman
Your recollection of the previous days events brought both frustration and relief. She was visibly pleased at the knowledge of her sister's well-being, but devastated by your news of the loss of the Unity members.

"I... I was wondering why they hadn't made it back from Bedford yet. It's good to know I guess."

She crosses her arms and turns her back to you, sobbing quietly.

Behind you, the chatter of vagrants, nomads, and the impoverished continue on unaware of the caretakers grief.

Staving off the growing awkwardness you make a comment about the dirty, rust encrusted AutoDoc and manage to get a lighthearted laugh out of Chris.

She turns back to you after wiping her tears away and says, "Might as well be a Scalp-O-Matic! I sure would appreciate you taking a look at it. I'll go fix you a lunch. I'm about to serve everyone anyhow."

An hour or so passes...



You emerge from behind the curtained off area wiping off some lubricant and machine oils. You were unable to do much in way of repairing the ancient technology without replacement parts or machine salvage.

"Here, I've put together this lunchpail for you. It isn't much but it'll keep ya' going."

You've received 'Filled Tin Lunch Pail' 4 lbs., Contains 2 irradiated bottled waters and 2 cans of CRAM[sup]TM[/sup] canned meat!

You give her the news about the AutoDoc and she thanks you, and understands.

"Well, if you do come across the parts... I know it might be a mit much to ask, but if you could get them, I'll see to it that you're reimbursed. Oh, and you tell that sister of mine she better not leave before I have words with her!"

----

Sahen
You don't see much of anything outside of the windows but the radio coming to life causes someone to stir upstairs, presumably Susan.

"I'm coming... I'm coming. Now I don't recall inviting anyone to root around, so on the off-chance that the town is under attack, I am armed. Not to worry, if you're among the infirm, I'll patch you right up. If you're a raider or one of them "free-roaming prospectors", I won't hesitate to use my gun on you."

The stairs creek as she walks down them and when her eyes make contact with yours, she is relieved to see you.

"You know I wasn't really going to use this gun on you, Sahen! How have you been?" Susan says laughing, a shotgun slung over her back with a satchel of medical supplies hanging at her hip. "I was upstairs installing a water distiller, Harold says he's going to get someone to take care of these old pipes and I know he means well, but I can only go so long before I have to take matters into my own hands. Yeesh!"

The woman was probably in her mid-forties, she lived alone and dedicated most of her time to her work, proving to be quite the skilled and resourceful doctor given the cirumstances. She had a cheerful disposition and a positive attitude that was quite refreshing in the wastes.

"I just got some pre-war medical journals in that you might be interested in and of course, supplies are limited, but I do have some goods that you might could use."

----

Therax
You crawl down from the truck to retrieve the ball and in a discreet display of great strength, you move the vehicle to fetch the ball for the boy.

Roll against your Perception

----

Jackie Reed
Your father seemed concerned, but it was clear he understood. "It's a cold world and it spreads that chill into the crooks and crannies of our souls, don't beat yourself up for it. You're a strong woman now, with every bit of your mother's strength, wit and my determination or stubbornness depending on how you look at it." he says to reassure you before complying with your request for a cigarette.

He pulls out a folded sack of tobacco and some rolling papers from his overalls and promptly rolls you a cigarette before rolling one for himself. "Your sister should be done at that clinic around 4 or so? Shouldn't be too much longer. Velma, you doing alright in there?"

"Of course dear, just patching up these old boots of mine."

"Anyhow, Chrissy should be home before too long."

You enjoy being at home and taking a rest from all the trials of wild Tennessee.

The door opens, "I understand my sister is home, Jackie?!"

"Well, hello to you too!" says your mother.

----

Lloyd Rourke
You take a leisurely stroll throughout the town until you end up at the Traveler's Market where a group of shared stands have been setup by all manner of traveling and local vendors.

By some barrels parallel to a rusted car at the front of the market is a group of individuals placing bets on some type of dice game.

"You want in on this action man? You look the type in that suit!"

The vendor's cry out trying to solicit business for their stands.

"Guns and ammunition over here!"

"Clothing and apparel going real cheap just right over here!"

"Food, Drinks, Drugs, we've got what you need!"

All that was left was for you to choose what you wanted.

Market Map


Just let me know what you're looking for and I'll make sure you get to the right vendor haha.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax watches as the child runs off. Happy in a job well done.

Perception 5 1d10 6 well.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Therax
You hop back into the bed of the truck and get comfortable once again. You aren't entirely sure, but something seems amiss, maybe... just slightly. Ultimately, you pay it no mind and maintain your post as the sun continues its slow descent towards the horizon.

5:00 PM

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

2:00pm

Mossman returned to the truck, pail in hand. He climbed into the truck bed, put the pail down and got back to work on the Desert Eagle. He tried to make conversation with the Deathclaw, but his nervousness around the great beast was hard to conceal.

"So, uhh... Therax, is it? You're on some kind of mission...?"

"...you haven't just been sittin' in this truck all day, have you? Well, it's nice to know we have ourselves a good guard dog- er, guard liz- er... guard."

Spending another hour to repair the Desert Eagle first, then the Shotgun.

Rolling to Repair the Desert Eagle: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 2 x 1d100 = 88 and 3, a failure on the Desert Eagle, success on Shotgun. Desert Eagle stays at 50% (-10 to hit), Shotgun is now 80% (no penalty)

Rolling Small Guns to repair the Desert Eagle: Small Guns 47% (Base), 1d100 = 15, a success. Desert Eagle is now 60% (-5 to hit)


3:00pm

Mossman remembered that the rat vendor had mentioned a Mr. Harold Dawkins at the inn. Mossman figured there was no harm in seeing the man about some rooms for himself and his companions, maybe see about somewhere safe to leave the truck for the night as well. He headed over to the inn.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Mossman
You skillfully make repairs to the recently acquired weaponry and stow away the equipment in the vehicle.

Recalling the vendors response to your work inquiry, you set off to the Johnnyville Inn to meet with Harold Dawkins, militia organizer and owner to the inn.

Walking into the inn, you are greeted by a young male receptionist, with a disheveled light-brown mopcut and a pimply, freckled face. When his eyes meet with yours, you can see that he is a bit startled. Maybe he had never seen a ghoul, but he gives you all due pleasantries despite the initial hiccup.

"W-welcome to the Johnnyville Inn. How can I help you today sir?"

The Inn itself had seen better days, but would be perfect for accomadating your ragtag band of travelers if there was room.

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

Poor kid. He'd clearly never dealt with a Ghoul before, but at least he was trying.

"Hey there, youngster. Don't you worry now: What I got, you can't catch." Mossman chuckled. "At least, not from me."

He came up to the counter. The inn was in as sorry a state as the next post-Apocalyptic structure, but its inhabitants were clearly taking steps to improve it.

"My companions and I rolled into town earlier today, and we're looking for somewhere to stay the night."

He leaned onto the counter, his hands flat against the edge. "There's five of us in all, although one of us might be staying with family. We'll know more about that later tonight."

He leaned back from the counter. "D'you think you can accommodate us?"

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

"Really, might be for the best. Lead in belly is good wake up call."

He does his best to crack a meager smile, failing even in the best of intent.

"Not feeling right as late. All this travel, wears on old legs... Maybe more to it."

He grabs his rough leather tiebag from his side, mirroring the good doctor's red cross satchel, dropping it on the lightly stained counter. Inside, a few metal clinks struggle out between torn cloth.

"All empty again." Sahen gestures defeatedly to the offending item. "Would refill in Nash's Ville. Things more complicated on the road now, cannot afford to wait. I've little in caps to trade, but a estimate. Would help me know what to look for."

He nods as she exasperates over the state of her distillery, thinking of the ghoul who was always tooling with the guns. With a light snap of his fingers, he remembers a slight bit more specific business. Rummaging through the bag, he produces a torn shred of paper and elastic.

quote:

Torn Surgical Mask
Value: 0
Now look what you've gone and done! This used to be a perfectly good
precautionary measure, but now it's only purpose is to communicate
your obvious incompetence. Those stains are making me uncomfortable already.

Weight: Negligible
-10 Doctor, Speech, -1 CH

"Wouldn't have another mask, would you? Torn, this one, bad accident. Could use new one. Journals could be good read as-well. May take a look."

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at Jul 14, 2013 around 03:36

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

When he came upon what passed for a market square, Lloyd reached into his pocket and counted his caps.

Fifteen. No sunglasses today, unless there were some real foolish people sellin' em. He could probably pick up some smokes, or at least the makings of them. He didn't mind hand-rolling every now and again. The general store would probably be the best place to look.

"I'm lookin' for smokes, or at least some tobacco and papers. Can you help me out?"

Barter -TN 91: 1d100 34

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Mossman
The kid looks down at the terminal in front of him and then looks at the wall behind him and then back at the computer.

"Uhm.. One second sir, DAAAAADD?"

"What is it boy, Oh! Well hello there sir, welcome to the Johnnyville in. I trust you're looking for a room. Give me just a second to speak with my son."

"What's the matter junior?"

"Do we have a room that'd fit 5? I couldn't remember how to... uhm, check the log."

"I have to show you once a week, I swear." Harold moves to the computer and pulls up the log.

"You sir, are in luck! For just 30 caps, I have a room you and your friends can share for the night. Shall, I put in a reservation?" he says with his attention directed back at you.

----

Sahen
As you draw the Torn mask from your possessions, Susan recoils in disgust.

"Tell me, please Sahen, that you haven't put that thing on your face since it started looking like that. I think something is growing out of it!"

"You're in luck though, I just got some pre-war scrubs with matching caps and mask from a caravan trader not long ago. Now iffn' you ain't got the caps to pay for it outright, perhaps you could work it off. In the morning, I'm set to amputate Mr. Beatrix's leg and affix it with a custom prosthetic he brought in himself. I could use a hand, help me and it's yours. Impede me and well, I'll give you 1/2 off for your dedication at least."

pre:
Clean Medical Scrubs with Cap & Mask
Value: 350 caps
Did that Caravan trader find these in a perfectly 
preserved laundromat? Maybe they scavenged through
an old, untouched trove of clothing at a cleaners?
Regardless, the clothing is in perfect shape.

Weight: 2 lbs.
+15 Doctor, First-Aid
----

Lloyd Rourke
"I know I can." says a farmer at a stand towards the back. "Got finished curing this tobacco 3 days ago. I'll give you an ounce for 12 caps? 1/2 for 7 caps. Comes with 30 and 15 papers respectively. We got a deal?"

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

"You must be Mr. Dawkins," said Mossman and extended a hand. "How do you do, sir. My name's Mossman. I understand you're the man to see about what's going on in this town."

"I'm a little short on caps at the moment, but if you have anything around here that needs fixin', I'd be happy to take a look at it in exchange for overnight stay. If not, then I'm sure once my companions arrive, we'll be able to work somethin' out. We are men of various means, and we don't mind workin' for our lodgings." Mossman snorted. "'Least, most of us ain't."

He glanced at the old computer. "I must say, I'm impressed you got this thing running. What kind of power supply are you running it off of?"

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen

At the mention of prosthetics, the lesser doctor gets a certain crease criss-crossing his face. He shifts on his boots for a moment before retrieving his bag from the counter.

"Beatrix..." Sahen scratches at his receding hair for a moment in thought. "Not rings bell, doesn't. What did he do to lose real leg?"

"Think I've nothing better, nothing to lose. What time do you need?" Getting his time and place, Sahen nods gently, tying his bag back to his belt. "We'll see you then... Oh, may know someone could help with distiller. Leather man, good with tools. Will speak with him."

----

2:00 PM

Letting the creaky door fall shut behind him, Sahen sets off northeastward. A few of his previous party might have seen him wandering out of town, but he doesn't stop to speak, and doesn't return for a few solid hours.

LK 4: 1d10 7

If you've got anything you'd like to throw at me, I'll let that roll speak for it's nature. If not, then Sahen just kinda spends a few hours putzing around in the immediate outside wastes. Probably chewing on plants and drinking alone.

-1 Irradiated Water

Gone until 6:00 PM

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
HP: 25/30 Load: 7/150
Me and My Shadow

The voice carried through the house, and while it sounded older, Jackie could've picked it out anywhere. She moved faster than she thought she could've, given her exhaustion, but suddenly she was hugging her sister tight right in the doorway.

"Chrissy! How are you?"

Jackie hugs her tight, smiling at her sister and giving her a small peck on the cheek. "Come sit down. Pa and I were talkin' in the kitchen. Tell me what's up with you. It's been so long!"

They moved to the kitchen where her father had poured up another glass of water. After small pleasantries, Jackie managing to explain her bullet wound as a driving incident, and just enough teasing about both of them being so grimy, Jackie got to the question that was sitting heavy in her mind.

"Pa said you were workin' for Unity? What's that like?"


What is she wearing? What does it look like she's been doing for Unity? Is she carrying a gun? Not sure if Perception is appropriate, but couldn't find a skill that seems to fit.

Perception to tell: 5

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Jul 15, 2013 around 03:55

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Mossman
"I see my reputation precedes me. Hopefully, no bad things!!" he chortles, his thick cheeks becoming flush at the prospect of business. "Well, I try to keep up on what's happening. If it's work yer' looking for, this town is by no means short of it. I'd gladly house you and yours providing you don't cause a ruckus with breakfast, lunch and dinner!, IF' some of you would be willing to lend a hand tomorrow. We got a plot ready for harvest about 3 miles south-east out of town, a couple of us heading out at 6:00 in the mornin' to pick it. Should be done by 10:00. On top of that, you say your handy eh? Think you could handle some plumbing and or general electric work. We got a couple rooms with faulty wiring, drat near caught fire in the last month and the water heater sprung a leak, lastly I promised Doc' Susan just across the way that I'd get someone to come and check out her pipes, she says it poses a risk to her patients.

Now, I'm willing to let y'all stay just for a hand in the morning, but there'd be some caps innit' for ya' if you can see to some of the extra work. What d'ya say?"

"Oh, that ol' thing? It'd been here when we got here. A lot of stuff was in disrepair, but I set to fixing it up with my dad and then my own family. Luckily for us, the whole town that is, Johnnyville had a lot of equipment and buildings that were still more or less useful. I've been here for 43 years now and this ol' RobCo terminal came right back to life as soon as we gave this building power. I don't know too much about computers an' what not, but whatever it's running on is built to last."

----

Sahen
"Get here at 8:00 in the morning if ya' could. I'll even let you wear the new duds'. Mr. Beatrix actually ain't from 'round these parts. I shoulda' mentioned that. He's a peculiar man, don't know too much about him, but he heard that I was a vault-doctor before coming here and he sought me out. He just got into town last night I think. None too old, walks on a cane though, judging by his gait, I'd say something got a hold of him, but he looks to be otherwise capable. Quiet too, kind of cold look about him, but... It's none of my business and those caps are going to keep this place running and you more or less dressed." She smiles at you with an understanding that sees past your abrasive exterior. Just because you have difficulty demonstrating your good nature, doesn't mean she couldn't see it.

Your appointment set, you head into the wastes and walk reflecting on whatever stream of thoughts came to mind. That is until you come across an opening on the side of a bluff that revealed a wooden door. There were no markings that indicate to as to where it led.

What do you do?

----

Jackie Reed
Healed to max from nourishment and prolonged rest.
"Well, it isn't that bad. I... I actually ran into a friend of yours. Got some bad news about the woman who got me involved. Lorraine Thibeault, she used to come around when we were younger? Well, regardless... I heard she was killed. I'm just glad you all were ok, sounds like you ran into the killers."

You eye your sister over, she had certainly grown, but she was still that kid you knew all those years ago. A dirty freckled face with a wildly tossed, short reddish-brown haircut. You did notice that she wears a 10mm at her hip, but you doubt she ever used it. She acts tough, but is undoubtedly innocent. She was in a brahmin hide leather outfit with a Unity badge sewn into a white shirt she wore that was caked in dirt and dry blood. She also had a cloth satchel that she stored equipment in, notably medicine she administered to your mother when she got home.

"Work though... most days, I travel from outpost to outpost, usually with a caravan or a group of Unity members if there are enough of us and try to set up some place of refuge for those too poor or injured to take care of themselves. We also get addicts and the occasional raider that wants to turn over a new leaf." she stops to scarf down a piece of meat that your father brings her before she takes out her own flask and takes a swig.

"When I'm in town, I usually end up helping at a small clinic we run out in the shanties just at the edge of town. I end up getting to bring home extra medicine for ma'..."

Your father walks to go get your mother as the room falls silent. "We'll be having supper soon, you staying?"

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

"I'll be happy to look at the plumbing and electric for you, sir. You can count on me for the harvest tomorrow too, and I'll be sure to bring it up with my companions at dinner tonight."

Mossman followed Mr. Dawkins into the basement, where the boiler was located. He inspected the rust-covered, old device with no small amount of approval. The Dawkins had done a real fine job maintaining it. He set his toolbox on the floor, unslung his pipe-wrench and set to work.

Spending 30 mins. to repair the boiler

Rolling Repair to fix the boiler: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 60, a failure.

Spending 30 mins more to retry.

Rolling Repair to fix the boiler: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 67, another failure.


4:00pm

Spending another 30 mins to retry one more time!

Rolling Repair to fix the boiler: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 59, dang it!

One more, come on!

Rolling Repair to fix the boiler: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 32, a success!

5:00pm

Mossman emerged from the basement, damp with sweat, with a rictus grin on his face. He was smiling with satisfaction of a job well done, but it had the unfortunate side effect of making him look like he was going to eat somebody. He wiped his boots, which were wet from the leaky water heater, and approached Harold Jr. at the front desk. "Well," he said. "I fixed your water heater problem. It took a lot longer than I expected, but you shouldn't have any leaks for the foreseeable future." He caught the look on the boy's face and forced back his smile.

"Your family must be pretty handy too. That boiler is in great condition considering it hasn't been serviced since 2070! To be honest, I'm surprised this place has running water AND electricity. Most places I've stayed had neither, let alone both of 'em."

Went to Hell fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2013 around 05:13

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Dr.Idle posted:

What do you do?

go north
-RETURN-
look at
-RETURN-
kill everything
-RETURN-
SYNTAX ERROR


Sahen

A few rocks roll aside to Sahen's idle kick, two echoing faintly as they tumble into the crevice. Chasing shadows in the wastes, he moves down between the rocks a little cautiously, though more for his footing than anything. Coming across the paint spattered door, no light even creeping through it's various cracks and holes, Sahen hunches over to peer where he can.

PE: 1d10 2

"Osiyo? Hiai owenásá?"

Sahen leans in to knock on the door.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
HP: 30/30 Load: 7/150
Alice in Wonderland

"Friends? You don't say. I rolled in with some people from the waste. I reckon we'll be rollin' back out soon, 'ough. And... Well, Lorraine can rest easy, sis. Those killers got theirs."

Chris looked healthy, really. It was nice to see she'd found her way and stayed close to home. Her parents needed the help, and the group sounded nice, if idealistic. Jackie burned away the afternoon catching up with her family and asking her sister about the finer points of Unity.

"How does Unity afford all of that? How do you set up clinics and rehabilitate the needy? The supplies to set up shelter can't be cheap."

"Is there a centralized leader?"

"How do the caravans stay safe?"

"Do they pay you?"

By the end of their time together, Jackie felt at home, which was a strange for her---she had spent so long feeling homesick that the sudden lack of it threw her off. It all seemed so surreal, to be here with her grown sister and her aging parents. So when dinner came up, Jackie decide to miss her dinner date. She had been gone too long and her traveling mates could wait for a moment.

"Pa, I guess I'll be stayin' for dinner. You better be givin' me somethin' small ta eat, 'ough. An' I'll probably be on my way soon after, at least for the evenin'."

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2013 around 08:10

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

Lloyd looked down at the pile of caps in his hand, wondering if this was the best way to spend them. Still, freshly cured tobacco...

"I'll take it, sir. You cure a lot of this stuff? A lot of places I've been are a little light on the stuff, maybe I could talk to some people?"

He'd be around here again - might as well make a few caps playing package courier, unless the farmer grew a large amount. Then - maybe he could start a caravan? Lloyd lost himself in thoughts of business as he jingled the caps one last time in his palm and then handed them over.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Mossman
Harold comes out from a small maintenance closet not far from the main reception area and wipes his hands and face off on a dirty red rag before tucking it away in his back pocket. His face is still flush, but this time from apparent exertion.

"All done? From the sounds of it, that thing was giving you some trouble! Ha, but sure enough that pressure built back up quick, it'll probably be heated by 9 or so I reckon. Wish you had of rolled through sooner, could have this place in tip top shape in no time. Here this is for you."

Harold retrieves a small cloth pouch from his pocket and places it in your hand.

"75 Caps in that bag. More for each job you can do, well I have to head down into the kitchen, it's almost dinner time!"

The excitable man grins at you in pleasure before sliding his large hand down to his lower back, waddling away down the hall.

"Yea, we're a little bit handy. Pop does a lot of work himself, and he's been teaching me, but I'm no where as skilled as either of you. Hell, you got that boiler working again, you might be a better handyman than him though. Well, Dad wanted me to show you to the room where you and your friends can stay. Right this way sir.

The boy takes you up the second floor of the hotel to room 25A. It's a large room with years of wear, but it had been picked up a bit and even had two large beds and an old couch. More than enough room for you and your friends. The closet opened up to the adjacent room where the ceiling had collapsed, but it wasn't like you all had need for hanging up anything anyhow. All in all, a pretty good deal for sworn work.

----

Sahen
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

You notice a cap at the base of the door. Make a check against your INT. score.

You knock at the door, and no one ever comes, even after 5 minutes or so.

----

Jackie Reed
You and your sister continue to talk into the early evening as your father prepares dinner with the aid of your mother who was dicing up vegetables at the table.

"My girls are both back at home. It's nice." Your mother says smiling before looking up from the vegetables briefly.

"Well it definitely isn't cheap and often the stands we set up vary with the services they provide. We take donations where we can and get support from many of the volunteers, but in a time where everyone has so little, it is hard."

"We do have a few benefactors in Neo-Nashville and Skullbone, but our founder is actually just south in Chattanooga where we have our main office by the Red Star headquarters. Her name is Maeby Harris, and she seems like a nice old lady, but rumor has it that she is an heiress to a mob boss in Nashville. That would explain why she has or rather, probably had the caps to get this whole thing going in the first place.

"Caravans are... hit and miss. One, not every caravan wants to escort a bunch of 'do-gooders' around. And Two, the ones that do usually put us to work on the trail. Sometimes having to even play the role of guard. Luckily, I've never had to do anything like that. Most of the caravans we sign up with already have guards, but we do what we have to I guess."

"Some of the jobs we take pay, others don't. Often we have to put our own cap back into the effort, but we always have our needs met. Food, water, a roof over our heads, y'know."

You and your sister wrap up conversation just in time for dinner and your parents are pleased to here that you'll be staying.

Your father brings you more Brahmin meat with an assortment of vegetables. You could swear his true calling was to be a chef and not a curmudgeon of a rancher.

The dinner is filling and by the time you finish the sun is almost completely out of the sky.

----

Lloyd Rourke
"Will that be the ounce or the 1/2 son'?" says the old trader.

"Well, I do. Been here in Johnnyville since day one and been growing and trading produce and goods ever since. Things have been a little tight around here, the extra business sure would help. You set me up with someone who wants a steady seasonal supply of tobacco and I'll be sure to have some caps in it for you. The name is Henry Baltam, pleased to meet you. What was your name again son'?"

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


IN 8: 1d10 9 You were expecting anything else?

Sahen

Sahen stares dumbly at the cap on the ground. Being the temporary rube he is, no doubt from chewing on irradiated willow-wort from the wastes, he bends over to pick it up.

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

+75 Caps! All right!


On his way up the stairs, Mossman glanced at the clock in the lobby. His companions would arrive in an hour or so.

"Not bad. Not bad at all! I think my friends and I will be very comfortable here." Mossman turned to the kid. "Your dad said you were having some electrical problems up here?"

----------

Mossman whistled when he saw the wiring. In a word, it was a mess. The wires were frayed in several locations, and at one point he found a weathered rat-skull, its teeth still sunk into the live wire. The faint aroma of cooked rat still permeated the room. Mossman put on his rubber gloves and got to work.

Spending 30 mins. to repair the electrical wiring.

Rolling Repair to fix the wires: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 94, a failure. Mossman came close to shocking himself there!


Spending 30 mins. to repair the electrical wiring.

Rolling Repair to fix the wires: Repair 40% (Base) + 10% (Equipment) = 50%, 1d100 = 87, another failure.


6:00pm

Mossman grumbled to himself in frustration. The day was spent and so was he. He packed up his tools and went down to the lobby. He asked Junior if there was anywhere safe for him to park his wagon for the night. Then he asked if there were any facilities on the premises. "I gotta drain the gecko, if you know what I mean."

-----------------

After freshening up, Mossman went back to the truck to make sure everything was all right with Therax. Surely, the creature would get bored from sitting in the back of a truck for an entire afternoon. Mossman hoped the Deathclaw hadn't gotten itself into any trouble.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke

Scratch that, still distracted, it seems.

"Oh, I'll take the ounce, sorry. The name's Lloyd, Lloyd Rourke."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
HP: 30/30 Load: 7/150
She's Leaving Home

Jackie excused herself after dinner---she had agreed to meet the others at the hotel and she was already running late. She kissed her mother and father good-bye, giving each a tight hug. It was unlikely that she'd be back to see them before she left, and she tried to convey her love in those few words and comfortable gestures. "I'll take care of your iron, Pa. And make sure you take care of Ma for me..."

Chris followed her out down the lane, to the gate in the fence. They hugged tight, and Jackie looked at her sister once more. She was just so much older! They exchanged smiles, tear-glittering eyes staring back at her own.

As Chris turned to walk away, Jackie found her voice, "Chris, would you like to come along? Meet the people I'm traveling with? We'll probably just have a few drinks, maybe a game of cards..."

Jackie hoped the real question came across: won't you come with me, traveling by my side?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Jul 19, 2013 around 06:01

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sorry for no reply tonight. Family in town, but I'll have something up.tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sahen
You stare at the cap briefly, before quickly glancing around and then back at the cap but notice nothing out of the ordinary. You pocket the cap.
+1 Cap!

A young gecko runs along the bluff maybe 300 ft. out, Northeast, but you do not notice any signs of life around the door other than your own. A harmless turn of the knob reveals it to be locked.

You don't have to turn the knob, but mainly I'm just giving you the info that it is locked.

----

Mossman
You toil away in the hotel room, but your efforts are fruitless. Probably just needed to get some rest and a bite from Harold's kitchen. After you clean up, you set out to visit Therax at the truck.

Junior informed you that, the hotel had room for parking in the back by their vehicle which was a Highwayman in surprisingly good condition. As you make your way back to the truck you are greeted by Pete Lackis, who is sitting on the porch of the general goods store drinking from a handle of liquor.

"Good evening Mr. Mossman! Hope the towns been taking care of ya'."

Therax is spotted at the truck waiting with all the patience of a gargoyle.

----

Lloyd Rourke
"Well, pleased to meet you Lloyd. Here's your tobacco!"

-12 Caps, +30 Hand-rolled Cigarettes

pre:
Hand-rolled Cigarette
+1 Luck, +1 Charisma, -1 Endurance
Duration: 1 hour

Buffs can stack twice.
"An' like I said, you find someone who wants a steady supply of tobacco and I'll take care of ya', bet yer behind on that."

----

Jackie Reed
"I can stay for a while, but I have to be back at the clinic in the morning... but, let's go! Ma and Pa may be settling in for the night, but I haven't seen you in years. We gotta' catch up!"

She throws her arms around you in response to your invitation and lets out a long, burdened sigh. As if she was both relieved and filled with grief all at once. She pulls back and wipes a tear stream away before joking to get you both going.

"So, you dating one of these travelers? Maybe found you a nice gal or guy? I mean, you're all grown up now!" She nudges you, playing at the idea in a lighthearted manner while walking out of the fence enclosure of your parents farmstead.

"You all staying at the hotel?"

----

Ryuujin, if you want to take Therax on an adventure before heading to the evening at the hotel, feel free! Same goes for anyone else, you can wrap up actions for a few hours if you'd like before meeting up at the hotel. Otherwise, we'll conclude the night and begin Day 2 in Johnnyville. Decide amongst yourselves who goes to help out at the Dawkins farmstead.

Also driving I'm thinking of just doing 3x your Pilot skill instead of 2 for miles traveled in a day. If on foot, random encounter chance will occur every 10 miles instead of the 20.


----

Pee Wee King - "Backward, Turn Backward" (did I already link this? can't remember )

(If I did, here is a back up song!) Patti Page - "Mocking Bird Hill"

  • Locked thread
«60 »