Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«60 »
  • Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 15 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

Jackie motioned toward Sahen, but he seemed preoccupied. She shrugged it off, smiling at Chris. "That's another of our travelers, Seems busy, 'ough."

The door was locked, and from the music Jackie guessed that perhaps a surgery was underway. "Huh, looks unavailable. Shall we see about this thief, then? Let's go see Mercer's."

----

The shop was familiar, and the sign outside looked like it hadn't been painted since she left. The smell was unmistakable, though: the smell of old metal and fresh oil hit you as you opened the front door, and it took her back to all of the times she had stood here, knee-high to a grass hopper, next to her father. She walked into the store, looking for the employees.

"Hey, Bill, you here? Came to ask about them break-in."

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 2, 2013 around 22:04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie & Christopher Reed
You walk into Mercer hardware with your sister and give a shout to Bill. It's not too long after that he comes stumbling out from some supply closet. "If it isn't the Reed girls. How are you two doing? What's all this nonsense about you asking about the Break-In? That's some dangerous work, nothing you two younguns' oughta' be into."

"If you must know though... It was a lanky, ornery looking fella' came in here about a week ago and didn't buy anything. Scouted out the place. My wife said he just looked at everything, grimaced at her and then he left... Two days' later. I'm closing up the shop and in the back just listening to a radio program like I like to do and I hear the door open, now I know I locked the drat thing, but sure enough I come out and there's this coot, ransacking the place like he was looking for something. Occasionally, knocking stuff into a bag like he found what he was looking for. Then finally, I had enough, So I grab my shotgun and say to the sonuva' bitch, "Drop the bag, shithead." and he sure didn't take a likin' ta' that, because he lifted up the biggest looking handgun I'd ever seen and drat near takes my head off. Clipped my ear, drat thing is still ringing. Look at it!" He shows you his disgusting looking ear, the bullet didn't kill him, but if he didn't clean that wound... infection might. Regardless, you got the details and an accurate depiction of the man. "I chased him out of the store, blowing out my own drat window with the shotgun, aim off being shot and all, then he made a bee-line north out of town. I sure would like to get that son of a bitch back, he emptied out the register of caps! Luckily, I only had a few hundred in there at the time. You girls, don't go getting mixed up in all this, ya' hear?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 15 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

Jackie grimaced at the man's grotesque ear, and wondered if he would see a doctor before it killed him. "Listen, Bill, I reckon someone's gotta put the thief down, and I certainly got enough bullets for it. I ain't no kid no more, and I am to make some caps off bringin' down the man what shot you. Any idea where he's layin' low, north a' town? I don't know the terrain as well as I did a few years ago. Any a' the ol' caves up there uninhabited?"

----

Chris and Jackie entered the small saloon in town. Well, saloon might not be the right word, but it's where you could get a drink and it's where most of the caravans coming through would stop in. Chris had suggested that someone might've seen a camp fire, coming in from north of town, and Jackie reckoned she was onto somethin'. They sat down with some travelers playing a hand of cards.

"How much to buy in, fellas?"

Gamblin' (40): 67

"Damnit, I was sure I had that last hand. Ya got me on the river, though. Say, any of you fellas seen any signs of life on the road north? Maybe a campfire, someone livin' out that way?"

How many caps do I lose? Should I roll Charisma or Speech to try to get the information? Also, did the bounty specify alive or dead?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Therax the Intelligent Deathclaw

Therax, carefully, takes a drink of water then heads out to try and find the others.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke
108 Caps, 600 xp, Suit, Shades, 28 Smokes, 10mm w/ 60 Rounds

After the bath, Lloyd settles down in the common area of the inn, checking himself out in any available mirrors and having a drink or two.

"There you are, big fella. Haven't seen hide or hair of ya all day. How ya doin? Oh, almost forgot-"

Lloyd pulls a small bag of caps from an inside pocket.

"Your cut from selling the ill-gotten gains of this beautiful suit's former owner. No need to drop any of 'em here, though. A little bit of generosity from the house, as it were."

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
"Well, I couldn't really say. I know fer' sure that there'll be at the very least, critters out there. Most of those dens and old refuges have been picked clean, so wouldn't be much traffic through em'. It's possible ya know? Worth a look anyhow. Just don't go gettin' yerself killed on my account is all I'm saying."

He didn't know too much, but he did indicate that it was at least worth a look.

....

You buy into a game of cards at one of the town's bars trying to sniff out any leads possible and earn some caps at the same time. Unfortunately, you weren't having so much luck in either regards as of yet. "Pay up, gal'. That's gonna' be 8 caps for that last hand."

You pay the man who looks a bit confused by your question. "You mean squatters? Yeah, plenty of those... I mean, what's new, eh?" You explain a little more without revealing any regards to your intentions, just in case and the man starts to think...

Roll against your luck -1 advantage.

----------

Therax
You head back towards town after a surprisingly eventful morning and early afternoon and rest briefly, awaking to the sound of your allies headed back to town with the hotel owner.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 15 - 8 = 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

Jackie grimaces and slides half of her caps across the table. But it seemed like this gambler might know what she needed to, so it was probably money well spent. "I ain't exactly talkin' 'bout squatters. I'm lookin' fer an older fella, maybe late 40s, owes my friend a bit of money, if you follow me."

Luck(5): 2-1 = 1

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2013 around 21:20

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman
HP 24/24 XP 650/1,000 Karma +30 Caps 120

Mossman slid off the operating table, bowed over and disoriented. He gathered his possessions, said goodbye to Dr. Susan and stumbled out of the office as quickly as he could.

-2 EN effects: HP 24, Poison Resistance 40, Rad Resistance 70, Healing Rate 5, First Aid 20%, Outdoorsman 30%

Mossman went back to the inn to recuperate. He ate his meal, took his bath and drank his beers over the afternoon, while listening to Lloyd and Sahen's conversation. He felt ill, disoriented and paranoid, and kept to himself as much as possible.

Near dinner time, he started feeling a little better, and decided to give his gun a cleaning to help take his mind off the day's events.

Rolling Repair (55%) to improve Beretta's condition: 27, a success! Two boxes removed (90% condition).

During dinner, Mossman remarked to his traveling companions: "It might be time to move on to Neo-Nashville. If everyone else is ready, we can be on the road tonight."

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen
Caps: 261 HP: 34/34 Load: 23/250 XP: 650 Karma: -5

2:20 PM

Sahen pushes away the small bag on the bar, rustling the cap pocket on his bag in response.

"Not necessary. Plenty ill gotten of late."

Taking a few bites from the chunk of bread before him, and stuffing the remains with the varied chopped bits of grilled vegetables and meat, he pulls out the press molds from his rucksack, and lays them on the bar.

"Speaking of... You happen to know if these would have market?"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
"Well, now that you mention it... I do recall a mean looking sonuva' bitch who was around here not to long ago. Came in here for a drink and spent some time looking around the shops and market. Saw him headed out towards Dry Lake. Maybe he's out there in that decrepit water facilities plant."

----

Mossman
"Easy! Easy does it... I basically microwaved you and cut parts of you off and regrew them and cut more parts off. Now don't move around none too fast or you'll open up your sutures or cause your tissue tear where it is still tender from the incisions. Your natural healing abilities and resistances should have you feeling up to par in about a weeks time, but until then... when the pain or nausea becomes too bad, take this. It is a synthesized research analogue of RadAway that was designed to address people entering into early ghoulification processes... Sadly enough, the work was never completed due to most of the staff becoming feral due to the radiation leak in their vault, but what my colleagues and I have found is that the uncompleted serum that they developed has the potential to revolutionize medicine in the wastes and hopefully, ideally... change the lives of everyone. Next time I see you, I'll give you an update on my findings. Thank you again for your contribution!"

Moving through a fog, you replenish yourself with nourishment at the hotel and proceed to make repairs to your gun which was almost good as new thanks to your diligent maintenance. Moving back down for dinner, you meet up with several of your allies and discuss plans to travel to Neo-Nashville.

----

Sahen
Make a check against your perception.

You take the plates out and present them to Lloyd over a meal at the bar in the hotel.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen
Caps: 261 HP: 34/34 Load: 23/250 XP: 650 Karma: -5

Perception 7: 1d10 1

Sahen inspects the plates, concluding that they are, in fact, the cap press molds. Possibly beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sahen
You notice that one of Dawkins' boys goes wide-eyed as you pull out the plates, but he nervously plays it off and proceeds to return to wiping off tables.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10


Jackie rose from the table, finishing the small glass of water the trading post had given her. "Thanks for the drink, Paul. It's been nice losin' money to you fellas, but I need to see a man about a horse."

Jackie and Chris set off through the streets, walking north on foot. The water facilities plant was well-known locally: it was the kind of place that kids threw rocks at, and dared each other to go inside. When she was younger, there were stories of tribal mutants and death claws living in it, but she reckoned it didn't contain much but fetid water and an older man trying to make an illegal buck. As they approached, she motioned to Chris and they tried to approach silently.

Sneaking (55): 40

They snuck up closer to the plant, keeping the noise low, and Jackie tried to spot the man inside.

Perception (7): 8

Unfortunately, she couldn't see a thing. (Unless Chris helps her?)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2013 around 17:37

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke
108 Caps, 600 xp, Suit, Shades, 28 Smokes, 10mm w/ 60 Rounds

"Hey there, Moss. I'm ready to leave whenever - looks like we just need Jackie, her sister, and the... other big fella."

He examines the strange plates Sahen takes out.

"Can't be certain - I'm not really sure what they are. I mean, scrap metal's always worth something. Let me take a closer look..."


Not sure what kind of check to use here. Maybe barter (without the positive interaction bonuses like the suit or shades) for general knowledge of caps? I'll await your response.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
Perception at Water Treatment Facility (Perception 3): 1d10 6

Chris looks as well, but doesn't manage to see anything. Many of the windows were broken out and the structure itself looked to be falling apart. There main entrance is just due north of you and your sister. You are both undetected currently and continue to sneak about the facilities looking for any signs of occupation, life or other entrances

For your next action, you'll have -1 advantage on all ability checks and +10% to any skill check.

----

Lloyd Rourke
You can make a wisdom or intelligence check to deduce the nature of the plates and see if you saw anything remotely similar to it at the market.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

Jackie pulled her gun into her hand, holding it in front of her as she slid around the side of the building. She motioned motioning for Chris to follow her, trying to move silently.

Sneaking (55 + 10): 67

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke
108 Caps, 600 xp, Suit, Shades, 28 Smokes, 10mm w/ 60 Rounds

Lloyd takes a look at the plates, but can't make heads or tails of them.

Int Check TN 6: 1d10 10

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
You and Chris continue to move along the perimeter of the factory coming across a rear entrance. The building is two stories with an elevated ceiling on the second floor, and in a rather ruinous state with sections of it near the top looking dangerous even.

The Treatment Facility has long rusted tubes running from the white brick factory into Dry Lake. Chris gets on the right side of the faded blue steel door and gestures towards the doorknob.

"Should we go in?"

-----

Lloyd Rourke
You can't really think of any use for the plates and don't remember seeing anything like that at the market, unfortunately for Sahen.

-----

GM Notes
Set an agenda for the last leg of Johnnyville. We are coming to a close, and we can probably get you all to next level if not close to next level with this final Chapter in Johnnyville. So if there's anything you want to do, anything anybody wants to jointly tackle or address, any shopping or trading or just luck searching, this is your chance to do it.

Current "Quest-Lines" are:
  • Sahen - Counterfeiting in Johnnyville
  • Jackie & Christopher Reed - Johnnyville Thief

Current "sub-plots" are:
  • Lloyd Rourke - Tobacco Trade
  • Mossman - Fixing up Johnnyville, Parts to "fix" the town. Instead of individual jobs... You can find various parts, that will eventually total 200 lbs. and it will be sufficient to fix everything wrong in Johnnyville. Quest pays: 800 caps, +50 Karma, (Some other benefits)
  • Therax - Red Star Assistant - Whenever you cross through the area surrounding Johnnyville, you can go and help the Red Star Maintenance Worker.
  • Jackie Reed - Medicine for Momma

If I neglected any sub-plots or active quests, feel free to chime in.

Doctor Idle fucked around with this message at Sep 12, 2013 around 23:42

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10


Jackie gave Chris a tight nod. "Sure, I'll go first." She reached up and tried the door, moving inside with her gun held in front of her, trying to keep her eyes open for any signs of life.

Perception (7): 1

Wasn't there some subplot to get Jackie's mother well? It may not have been resolvable.

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

"Good. I'm ready to get moving again." Mossman rose slowly from the couch, wincing a little as he straightened himself. "Where did those girls disappear to, anyway?" He then looked at Sahen. "And where's your... friend?"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
There is that sub-plot. I'll edit in, you should check in with Dr. Susan again when you get back to town.

You carefully enter into the factory looking for any indication of life and you quickly notice an assortment of goods alongside some makeshift bedding by a large pump installation. There is a barrel stuffed with garbage and other scrap made into tinder. You quickly catch a glimpse of a dirty looking man that fits the description Bill gave you, who creeps beyond your sight, obscured by shadows cast by the dilapidated structure of the building.

It was sort of difficult to see in here, even with daylight pouring in through the windows. The building stinks, horribly.

The Facts
  • You spot a man that fits Bill's description about 50-60 ft' out from you along the rows of huge rusted water pumps and large pipes that ran from the building into Dry Lake.
  • You know that he knows you're there.

You can try a number of things here.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen
Caps: 261 HP: 34/34 Load: 23/250 XP: 650 Karma: -5

"If I knew..."

Passively eyeing the Dawkins boy after his minor slip, Sahen pushes up from the bar, still speaking to the ghoul.

"In my medical opinion, you look like poo poo. Was morning tough?"

Listening in to the last threads of conversation, he tucks the press plates back into his bag, moving to exit to the street.

"If we're leaving soon, should pick up some reading material for long trip. Still much ground to cover before Nash, even in truck."

With all said and done, Sahen makes his way across the street to the Good Doctor's house, making an inquiry about the medical textbooks.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

"Is anyone there? We're associates of Unity. We heard someone was livin' out here, and thought we'd come looking. Are you okay? Do you need help?"

Jackie held her gun tight, ready to open fire if the situation looked dangerous. She spared a glance to Chris, who stood in the doorway and didn't seem nearly as comfortable with her own weapon.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sahen
You make your way back to Doctor Perkins' office. "Sahen, why I didn't expect to see you back so soon. What are you looking for pal?"

You make your inquiry about the medical journals and she disappears to the back briefly before emerging with a variety of books. An amended version of the original 1952 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, A 3rd Edition D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine, and a December edition of Today's Physician featuring an article about potential genetic or artificial manipulations of the human musculoskeletal system in regards to altering gait and natural resistances. Lastly, she brings out some of her own notes, a collection of essays and study findings she had conducted while she lived in Vault 38.

"You can have my old notes for free, I have it all backed up on terminal storage discs anyhoo. The journals, I'll let you pick and choose, there's still stuff in those that I might could even learn from so I'll have to put a cap value on those. What are you interested in, I might be willing to bargain, seeing as we're practically next of kin and all, right? right."

----------

Jackie Reed
There is only silence. The man wasn't going to believe you so easily, you'd have to win him over or prove it to him some how.

You can use your sister in some capacity to try and convince him or you can have Jackie make some rolls herself.

You don't have a clear shot, the factory has several large cistern like pumps or vats used for the extraction and cleansing of the water, the lower levels presumably housed some storage element and further purification devices, but those are long inaccessible. Regardless, there are lots of hiding places. You can make a Intelligence or Luck based check to try and hone in on his location, or your small guns skill as well.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

Jackie widened her eyes at Chris, nudging her head toward the inner warehouse. Hopefully she'd take the hint; Chris had always been better at talking people into working with her.

If this doesn't work, how does rolling against small arms work?

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


pre:
Name: Christopher Reed
S: 5
P: 3
E: 5
C: 6
I: 6
A: 4
L: 6

HP: 30
AC: 4
AP: 7
Charisma Check: Persuade: Rep: UNITY: 1d10-1 5

"Really Mister, I think you've even come to the UNITY tent before... look, we just want to talk. We know about the robberies. This doesn't need to be a violent meeting, don't you agree?"

Chris spoke earnestly and she must have gotten through to the man. He had not yet revealed himself, but he did speak.

"That fat gently caress Dawkins sent you? Maybe that geezer, Bill... Doesn't matter. I ain't steal a god damned thing, so you can just get the hell out of here."

A check against your perception, will let you try to ascertain his direction by voice, with a -1 bonus to the roll. As far as using small guns to check, you'll just roll the d100 and check it against your score, using your skill with small guns as a knowledge resource. I'll impart a penalty of +10% though.

e: Perception Check: Determine location: 1d10+1 8

Doctor Idle fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2013 around 06:17

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen
Caps: 261 HP: 34/34 Load: 23/250 XP: 650 Karma: -5

"Contemporary research?"

Sahen hooks his palms behind his apron, leaning back to better look over his options.

"Hell of offer, doubtful anything been written on higher medicine in years... D.C. Journal never lead astray. Though I suppose quick reference appendix is too handy to let go. First practice of mine founded practically on back of older edition."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

Jackie wasn't sure if he was telling the truth, but it wouldn't be the first time someone in the waste got blamed for something they hadn't done and she was willing to hear his side of it.

Charisma (5): 4

"He didn't exactly send us. They got a price on your head, 'ough, and if you really didn't steal nothin', we might should talk this out 'fore someone else turns up shootin'."

She scanned the facility again, trying to pick out his thin figure.

Perception (7): 8 - 1 = 7

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


GM Notes
Sorry for my absence as of late, I've just not been myself these past few days.

-----

Sahen
"Not too much being written, that's the truth... Not enough at least. There are a few of us though, still putting out publications, mainly on how to rejuvenate the wastes. I have contacts out west and in the capital who have been working on some promising research, but we'll see how that all works out. Anyhow, feel free to take those notes."

pre:
Doc' Susan's Notes
Permanent +3 to doctor/first aid/science

Cost: Free
"That D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine will run you 60 Caps."

pre:
D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine
Permanent +5 to doctor

Cost: 60 Caps
"Well, what'll it be?"

-----

Jackie Reed
The man's tone seemed to shift as you and your sister continue along a peaceful path, and Chris seems relieved for that. You still only manage to see glints in the shadows, but you think you see him hidden behind the most north-western pump in the factory, just obscurred by the cylindrical cistern and huge pipes. Just a glimpse of a foot confirms your suspicions. If it came to it, you could effectively bait him out or try to navigate around in secret to get a better shot, but he seems willing to cooperate... so far.

"What good will it do, Huh? I go back to town, apologize and give back everything I took, those inbred gits'll slap me on my wrist and tell me don't do it again? You know that ain't how it's going to to go down... So maybe I did steal supplies, but so the hell what? why does it matter to you? The bounty? If that's what this is all about, you might as well go on and get out of here, because I ain't going out of here no prisoner, and I don't have a problem burrowing some hot lead into two pretty girls heads. Take that as your final warning."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Lloyd Rourke
108 Caps, 600 xp, Suit, Shades, 28 Smokes, 10mm w/ 60 Rounds

"Well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm headed to the market for a little business, maybe I could ask around?"

Lloyd headed to the tobacco stall, hoping to make a bulk deal with the rest of his caps - to re-sell in whatever town they headed to next.

Barter TN 95: 1d100 11

This is probably a little out of order, but this is the last thing Lloyd has to do in town before they head out.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 550 Karma: 10

"Look, sir, I don't take too kindly to people threatening my sister. What's the real problem here? Why you leavin' out here, stealin' to get by?"

Jackie was talking, but she wasn't trying to talk this out any more---she was trying to get him busy rambling again. This man had threatened to shoot Chris in this dark, dirty building, and to Jackie that was as good as taking the shot. She motioned for Chris to get behind an old concrete pillar, out of sight, and then Jackie moved. She slipped through the shadows of the old facility, getting the man into her view.

Sneaking (55): 49 (Hopefully the shadows are helpin' me out here.)

The second his body came into view, she opened up. (She'd try to get a mostly-exposed view of his body, slipping beside the cover he's hiding behind.)

Action Points: 10

5 shots at 2AP/shot---Small Guns (90): 71, 14, 47, 72, 88
Attack One Damage (1d8+6): 13
Attack Two Damage (1d8+6): 7
Attack Three Damage (1d8+6): 7 (Messed up Orokos numbering here...)
Attack Four Damage (1d8+6): 13
Attack Five Damage (1d8+6): 9

Sequence: 14

She's going to attack a lot more if he isn't dead.

Edit: It occurs to me that moving his body may be difficult...

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2013 around 19:11

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Lloyd Rouke
You head back into the town market and approach the tobacco vendor with intentions to trade your remaining caps for an ample supply of tobacco.

"Here son, if you ain't looking slicker each'n every time I see you. I'll give you two pounds of tobacco, about 10 oz or so."

pre:
Tobacco
Wt.: 2 lbs.
Values: 520 Caps
-----

Jackie Reed
You stalk through the shadows of the run down water treatment facility keeping the thief's attention diverted. Chris is just as surprised as he is when your pistol erupts, filling the bullets. He didn't have a chance.

After the echo of gunshots drains out, Chris shouts out to you. "J-jackie!!! Are you ok?"

100XP

Man has 7 caps, a dirty looking 9mm, 6 rounds of 9mm ammunition, a knapsack containing various odds and ends presumably from the town

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 7 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 650 Karma: 10

Jackie stood, reloading and holstering her weapon before revealing herself as best she could. "I'm fine. He's... dead, probably. We need to get his body back to town for the bounty, I guess. C'mon over here."

Jackie started to gather up the man's filthy things, tossing the gun and caps in her own bag and taking up his knapsack. It was heavy, and felt maybe like it was full of stolen parts from the hardware store. She gave the entire facility one more look. Chris seemed shaken when she made her way over, and Jackie gave her a small smile to try to calm her. "Sorry, Chrissy, but ain't nobody threatens to put a bullet in your pretty little head while I'm around. Now grab his legs, and hopefully he won't be too heavy."

Do I need to make a check to drag the body back? Can we skip back to the Sheriff's office?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2013 around 08:45

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen
Caps: 201 HP: 34/34 Load: 23/250 XP: 650 Karma: -5

"DSM could be interesting, though interest as far as could go. Less about treatment for crazies in wasteland, more about management. Here."

Sahen dumps a wide pile of caps on the table, picking through them and discreetly throwing any new looking caps back into his pocket.

"Fifty... Fiftey five... Sixty. Should be enough, the knowledge worth much more down the road. Always is pleasure to do business."

Halfway through his turn to the door, he pauses, fishing around his pocket for a cap.

"Question. Have you noticed many bottlecaps like this one?"

Sahen holds the shiny metal disc up to the light, pulling out a real cap from his bag to compare.

"Look here. Does not have small text below. No claims, or numbers, just Nuka Cola and white red background. Strange, no?"

----

Back at the bar, slumping into a corner stool at the end, Sahen spends the next handful of hours in the company of a good book and low lighting, inobservant of his surroundings.

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed

"Y'know, living out in these wastes, you think I'd be used to this kind of stuff by now... at least I've got you looking out for us."

Chrissy reluctantly grabs the other end of the man and you start your trip back to town. It wasn't easy, but with the two of you, you managed.

You arrive back at the town and are greeted by a host of surprised stares. Bill and Harold look over the corpse.

"You gals did this?"

"Well, really it was all Jackie here, but uhm... y'know."

"Hot drat, I'd hate to get caught in your sights missy." Bill says eying the holes on the man that had mostly caked with dirt and dry blood now.

Harold heads to town hall to retrieve your reward, removing the wanted poster in the process.

"Here we go, as promised. 600 caps!"

Karma: +5, Rep: Johnnyville: The Deputy - Would-be thieves and hooligans are intimidated by you around these parts

-----

Sahen

"As is always the case, it is a pleasure doing business with you, Sahen." Doc' Susan says before examining the counterfeit cap you show her.

"Y'know... I have seen a few caps like this. I never paid it much mind, but I'd say that's a fake. You think someone in town is making these?"

---

The day passes by as you delve into the book learning about a variety of ailments, conditions and treatments for the body with a focus on internal medicines. You also read an interesting article on how to assemble Stimpaks using various flora in junction with base chemical primers as opposed to the standard chemical components that a Stimpak required.

+5 to doctor, BONUS: Instead of having 2 Chem Tech components for stimpack creation, you could replace them with appropriate flora components that you could make intelligence or outdoorsman based checks to identify in the wild.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off


Sahen
Caps: 201 HP: 34/34 Load: 23/250 XP: 650 Karma: -5

Sahen leans his weight on the door frame, eyes shifting in thought as he considers the situation.

"Fake, yes. Have not seen caps this kind before arriving. Would say someone crafting, but... could not weather a guess as to who."

Rolling the fake over in his fingers, he points out the exacting crimp of the ridges, something that normally occurred when the metal disk was forced around the bottle.

"See though, would take skilled craftsman. Considering number of breakages in area... This seem outside common ability."

Sahen considers the floor, letting the pause set in before continuing with a nonchalant sigh.

"Ah well, less anyone knows of skilled metalman in local land, guess it is mystery for ages, no?"

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Sahen
"Well... Hrmm. You could probably talk to Rob Peltz down in the scrap yard. He's the only person round these parts skilled enough to do any real metal work, at least in terms of refurbishing or fabricating parts."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.


Jackie Reed
Caps: 215 [+ 167 (Chris)] HP: 30/30 Load: 12/150 XP: 650 Karma: 15
Alice in Wonderland (Alternate)

The surprise of ol' Bill and Harold gave Jackie a small smile. She had met many men before who had misjudged her, but few who did after they saw what she was capable of. She could sense her reputation growing, and it might just dissuade the next would-be robber. She offered the bag of tools back to Bill. "This is all I found; hopefully it'll help account for some of the lost stock. Glad I could help with your little thief problem, gentlemen."

-----

Jackie happily accepted her bounty, then grimaced as she caught Chris's face. "There's no shame in bein' unaccustomed to killin', Chrissy. But I can't just leave Pa to care for Ma without a cap in his pocket, and this is the fastest thing I'm good at. Let's go tell them bye. I bet my friend'll want to head out this evenin'."

They strolled along the country lane as Jackie counted out 200 caps for their own traveling. The rest would go to her parents, if she could talk them into accepting it. They walked up, and Chris opened the door just as Jackie went to knock---clearly, she had been away too long. "Ma, pa? We have some news to tell you. And about 400 caps to make it easier to take."

Her mother was bundled up in their ancient recliner. It was hard to see her mother like that, and Jackie didn't know how to deal with it. She loved the woman, but so much of the light was simply gone from her face, and it made her wonder how much light her own face had lost in the soul-hardening waste.

Her dad was working on something for dinner, it looked like, and Jackie put the sack of caps on the kitchen table. "Chris is goin' with me, Pa. We're gonna go see the world together, get some freedom and smell some new air. This should be enough to keep Ma's medicine covered, 'ough, and to keep food on the table until we can send some more."

We can play this out, but I wanted to make a "leaving" scene, too, since it seems like the party is more or less waiting on me to move on.

-----

Jackie and Chris arrived at the bar after a late lunch with their parents. Chris's things were already collected from Unity, and Jackie was glad to see that most of the group was just hanging about, relaxing. She moved to sit with them, smiling and ordering a drink of whiskey. "How are y'all fellas? Lookin' ready to travel soon? Onward, to New Nashville? Chris and my own business is more or less cleared up here. Oh, Mossman, what happened to you?"

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2013 around 09:26

Went to Hell
Oct 28, 2011


Mossman

"I had a little... operation," said Mossman. "It's nothing serious, I just need to take it easy for a couple days." He tossed the car keys over to Jackie. "You okay to drive?"

-----------------------------

Mossman grunted as he climbed into the back of the pickup. He sat down up against the cab, and made himself as comfortable as he could. It was going to be a long, bumpy ride to Neo-Nashville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Idle
Mar 7, 2008

Hey, if some hillbilly comes up to me, I'm gonna lash him in the face, that's all.

[Best GM 2013-2015]


Jackie Reed
That Alice in Wonderland arrangement is very soothing!

You can see a sternness come over your father's face, but before too long he just lets out a gust of air and is out with it. "Ain't no use tryin' ta' tell you girls what and what not to do anymore. You're women grown... And you've always made your ma and I proud. It ain't easy seeing our only children wandering out into the unknown. The world has always been a mad place, but we live in a time of little to no civility, which is something I probably ain't even gotta' tell ya."

Your mother gets up and walks over to you on a cane that your father had fashioned for her, before she sits down at the table alongside you all. "You two always look after one another. We will be alright, things aren't ever going to be easy, but we will make it. Now you don' go worrying none about us. Just keep hope alive in your hearts and remember no matter how cold or dark it might get, you will ALWAYS, have a mother and father who accept and love you. This sickness ain't takin' me yet. I can see the look in your eyes... I know it ain't looking so good..." your mother and father begin to choke up a little bit which doesn't do much to comfort either your or Chrissy, "...but, your father is here looking after me always and we have Doc' Susan who is almost like family with all she's done for us."

"That reminds me!" Your father says interrupting the conversation with a bit of genuine optimism, "I was down at Mr. Lackis' goods earlier, doing some trading for feed and what not, when Doc' Susan walks in with a big ol' grin on her face. Talking about some kind of breakthrough in her research, said it would be good for your ma'. I drat near forgot, well I guess.... I kind of did ha', but the point is... we will be alright."

Your parents are reluctant to take the caps, but after persuasion by you and Chris, they accept and with final farewells send you on your way.

-----

Alright, everyone! I think we have just about wrapped up Johnnyville. @SevenSocks, let me know how you want to proceed on the counterfeiting business or if you want to put it on hold for a subsequent visit. Regardless, last minute shopping and travel preparations and then it's off to New Nashville or any other location you had in mind. I'll update your map tomorrow and mark all the places you've been around J-Ville.

As always, Questions/Comments/Concerns, welcome!

  • Locked thread
«60 »